2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
66 registered members (36251, amyram, barbaram, aph123, Animisha, Beowulf, Amy H, 15 invisible), 344 guests, and 444 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ivory II under Linux? #1544512 10/27/10 06:31 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi all,

This is purely speculative now, but has anyone managed to run Ivory II on a Linux box? Since it requires windows or Mac, I guess I will either need Wine, or some kind of virtualisation software, like VirtualBox or Xen.

VirtualBox (and Xen) support USB passthough, so I can (theoretically) give the iLok and the USB midi cable to the (virtual) windows.

Has anyone done this successfully? What about the latency?

Thank you for your help:

Csillag

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Ivory II under Linux? [Re: Csillag] #1544526 10/27/10 06:58 AM
M
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Virtual boxes always have the problem to provide quite bad performance, because they're, simply said, on top of an already running operating system, so there is lots of overhead. For performance critical stuff like realtime audio processing I think this is a no-go. So why not installing a dual boot system and then boot the system you need for playing the piano? For a virtual box you need a registered copy of Windows or OSX anyway, so it's no additional costs.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
Re: Ivory II under Linux? [Re: mucci] #1544563 10/27/10 07:45 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by mucci
Virtual boxes always have the problem to provide quite bad performance, because they're, simply said, on top of an already running operating system, so there is lots of overhead.

This is completely true when we are talking about software-emulated hardware environments, in which other software must be run.

However, Wine is not an emulator, but is instead a compatibility layer, providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call, and a process to substitute for the Windows NT kernel.

So, Wine is running instead of windows; windows is not running on top of wine. This is why it several programs actually run _faster_ in wine that under native windows.

On the other hand, hardware-supported virtualisation (used by VirtualBox and XEN) is an entirely different beast: here you are giving the virtual OS direct access to a bare hardware (with a few restrictions), so again, the performance can be quite good.

For performance critical stuff like realtime audio processing I think this is a no-go.

As described above, this is not so simple, therefore, I don't think anyone can be sure about this without actually trying. Therefore my question is: has anyone tried this?

One thing is sure: Muse Receptor is an absolutely professional product, and it is running Linux, and it can host VST instruments, including Ivory, since 2006 (see here), so this is not complete nonsense.

So why not installing a dual boot system and then boot the system you need for playing the piano?

Well, there are several reasons; some practical, some emotional.

1. For both moral and technical reasons, I ******* hate windows (and microsoft, in general), and in the last twelve years, I have successfully avoided running windows on any computer managed by me. (And there are quite a few.) I would like to keep doing so. Therefore, my first choice would be wine. Or if I absolutely _have_ to run windows, then I want to put it in a "cage": in a virtual machine, with no access to the outside world. I do not want to give it control of the entire machine. (And I would never allow it to roam freely on my home network.)

2. I plan to run several other software on the same box, while playing the piano. (Some learning applications, some entertainment, MIDI recording, whatever.)

I am aware that there are (loads of) windows applications for these tasks, but (as you have probably already guessed by now) I am not a windows user, so I am not interested: I want my linux apps.

So, I need my Linux to be running, and would like to add Ivory. (This brings up an other questions: in an ideal case, I would like to split the MIDI stream to two directions, and then channel it both to Ivory, and to the other apps. This is impossible if I give the USB midi cable to the windows domain; so I will need to look into this, but the first step is to just get Ivory running.)

Best wishes:

Csillag

Re: Ivory II under Linux? [Re: Csillag] #1544571 10/27/10 07:55 AM
M
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Csillag: You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Re: Ivory II under Linux? [Re: Csillag] #1544614 10/27/10 09:11 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
here is a a description of something similar, back from 2008. (In Italian.) Guy seems to have run Ivory successfully. (Older version though.)

Re: Ivory II under Linux? [Re: mucci] #1544653 10/27/10 10:19 AM
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Surprizingly sometimes a virtual environment can be faster then running "real Windows". Many times Wine beats Windows in terms of preformance. Wine is actually a re-impleementation of Windows and not virtual PC layer. But Wine is "spotty" and will not run all Windows software. I have doubts about it running a virtual instrument

Virtual Machines will run 100% of Windows software but you gain very little because un-like with Wine you will need a copy of MS Windows to run on your VM.
My experiance is that virtual layers can be reasonablely fast but NOT when it comes to disk I/O. Normal user level code actually runs on the bare harware when using VMware, there is no emulation layer in this case but, then system calls to the OS are made VMware traps out to an emulation layer. Disk reading and access to USB cause these kinds of "traps". I don't think it would work well for a disk based sample library unless you have a very fast computer

If you want to run a software piano under LInux there are native solutions. One is Pianoteqe the other is a native sampler enginethat can lay several formats of samples. I thing "giga" is one of them. Then you buy a set of samples from (say) Sampletekk and you are set.

In general UNIX based systems work well for music, the prime example is Apple's Mac OS X. But you'll need software written for your OS.

At work I have a four-CPU Xeon based computer with tons of RAM and a fast ultra-scsi disk system. I run Linux as the primary OS and then inside VMware I have both MS Windows XP and Sun's Solaris. It runs fine, even Java inside Windows on VMware on Linux is fast enough, until it goes to the disk and then it reduces to old "Pentium IV" speeds.

Re: Ivory II under Linux? [Re: ChrisA] #1544681 10/27/10 10:49 AM
C
Csillag Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Surprizingly sometimes a virtual environment can be faster then running "real Windows". Many times Wine beats Windows in terms of preformance. Wine is actually a re-impleementation of Windows and not virtual PC layer. But Wine is "spotty" and will not run all Windows software. I have doubts about it running a virtual instrument

As I have mentioned, the Muse Receptor (which is a basically a special-purpose, pre-configured linux box) is doing exactly this, so it is not completely impossible.

Virtual Machines will run 100% of Windows software but you gain very little because un-like with Wine you will need a copy of MS Windows to run on your VM.

Yeah, this is why I would prefer wine.

My experiance is that virtual layers can be reasonablely fast but NOT when it comes to disk I/O. Normal user level code actually runs on the bare harware when using VMware, there is no emulation layer in this case but, then system calls to the OS are made VMware traps out to an emulation layer. Disk reading and access to USB cause these kinds of "traps". I don't think it would work well for a disk based sample library unless you have a very fast computer

When using XEN, you can use special drivers inside the guest OS, which can then use the underlying devices natively. I usually give my XEN domains full block devices (actually, on top of lvm), and in this case, the speed penalty is negligable.

If you want to run a software piano under LInux there are native solutions. One is Pianoteqe the other is a native sampler enginethat can lay several formats of samples. I thing "giga" is one of them. Then you buy a set of samples from (say) Sampletekk and you are set.

Yeah, I already know about Pianoteq (and have the demo), but I as far as I know, the current consensus is that currently Ivory II is (or close to) the best software piano; that's what I am interested in it.

[...] At work [...] it goes to the disk and then it reduces to old "Pentium IV" speeds.

I am not sure about windows, but then using linux, one can gain a great speed improvement is using the "paravirtualized" xen drivers inside the virtual domain. The "guest additions" in VirtualBox is something similar, and it is available for windows, too. Have you given it a try? You might be surprised...

Best wishes:

Csillag

Re: Ivory II under Linux? [Re: Csillag] #1544692 10/27/10 10:58 AM
M
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Very offtopic:

What a great sunset I can see right now!! I can watch the full alps panorama (great clear views) here in Munich with the red sunball going down in the west... WOW.

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Vertical—a Performance Like No Other!
by Tyrone Slothrop - 02/19/20 08:34 AM
Rebuilt Steinways (was)? PFKAS?
by Maestro Lennie - 02/19/20 07:19 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,056
Posts2,927,382
Members96,042
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission