Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Classick, Beakybird, Chris Leslie, clothearednincompo, casinitaly, 16 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 34 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
#1542473 - 10/24/10 03:20 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Guldesque Offline
Guldesque  Offline

United States
I really would prefer for Kultyshev to win. Bozhanov would have been my second choice. Avdeeva's sound is as far as you can possibly get from Chopin's singing tone. I did not think she deserved to win. The second movement of her sonata was rather dismaying, as if her technical ability was simply not enough. Very surprised.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1542483 - 10/24/10 03:36 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Victor25  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands
And this is all your humble opinion ofcourse

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
#1543063 - 10/25/10 11:59 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
ConcertEtudes Offline
ConcertEtudes  Offline

Scores of all participants for each round are released!

http://konkurs.chopin.pl/en/edition/xvi/verdicts2/1989_etap_i

Sort first by # of yes votes, then by average score, and you get the ranks after each round. The point system is terrible, because they weight each round equally, even though the 3rd and final rounds contain twice as much music(at least in performance time) as the 1st and 2nd round. Each round should be weighted progressively more, with concerto round weighting probably 4 times as much as the first round.

Also interesting to see the jury follow the scores strictly in the first three rounds. This is to show fairness in judging? (since they can only see the scores, not the names) But the flaw of this system is that it allows for no discussion and comparison between performances after they hear all the performances. I guess this avoids the problem of one persuasive judge convincing the rest of the jury of his/her own beliefs....

Disappointed to see Denis Zhdanov fall from 3rd place after Round 1 to 31st place after Round 2 (biggest drop). Also disappointed to see Marianna Prjevalskaya improve from 38th to 21st place (biggest improvement), only to just miss out the 3rd round by one spot...

Joanna Różewska was probably the most unforunate to have the highest score of all who didn't make it to second round...

Last edited by ConcertEtudes; 10/25/10 12:02 PM.
#1543092 - 10/25/10 12:50 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: ConcertEtudes]  
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mati  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lodz, Poland
Originally Posted by ConcertEtudes
The point system is terrible, because they weight each round equally

No, they do not. Where did you get that information from?

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Maticomp
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
[Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1543099 - 10/25/10 12:55 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
In the final round the scoring seems reversed? The winner has the lowest score or at least that's what it looks like to me.

#1543112 - 10/25/10 01:06 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mati  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lodz, Poland
To rephrase what I said on Facebook - from what I see, it's not the scoring of the final itself, but the whole competition.

It fits well with the new rules used for choosing the winners. There were sheets with names in which each jury member had to put a number from "1" to "10" specifying the place for each candidate.

What you see is the mean from all sheets from all jury members, meaning that the lower the score, the higher the place in he competition.

By no means the points in the "finals" table relate to finals alone.

1,47 Yulianna Avdeeva (1)
2,48 Ingolf Wunder (2)
2.50 Lukas Geniusas (2)
3,48 Daniil Trifonov (3)
3,92 Evegni Bozhanov (4)
5,17 Francois Dumont (5)

Does that order of candidates ring a bell? smile It's the final scoring for the whole competition with the lowest mark being the highest position on the podium, not the concerto score alone.

Mateusz Papiernik
[Linked Image]
#1543124 - 10/25/10 01:23 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
So the scoring for the first three has the highest score as the best, but in the final it's not "yes-no" anymore so the lowest is the best(since lowest means 1 meaning first place)?

Or to ask my question differently:
The very first person in round one got 5 "yes" votes to go into round two. How did that result in an average score of 71?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/25/10 01:25 PM.
#1543158 - 10/25/10 01:53 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mati  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lodz, Poland

The very first person in round one got 5 "yes" votes to go into round two. How did that result in an average score of 71?

Let me quote the rules that clarify that point:

The 'yes/no' assessments are of primary importance in the first three stages of the Competition.

NB: Competitors recommended by the Juror for the next stage (marked 'YES')-and only those competitors-should be assigned at least 75 points. This figure will thus constitute the reference point for all the assessments awarded by the Juror in the successive stages.

In first three stages the jury members awarded BOTH yes/no marks AS WELL AS points (>75 for YES, <75 for NO). The average score of 71 is simply the average of all scores given by all jury members for this particular pianist, regardless of yes/no marking.

Mateusz Papiernik
[Linked Image]
#1543170 - 10/25/10 02:06 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mati  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lodz, Poland
There was an interview on the radio with Adam Harasiewicz, one of the Jury members of the radio. Courtesy of Helena Szczepanik, here is the summary:

- there were at least a few jury members who wanted first prize ex aequo for Wunder and Avdeeva (he named himself, Paleczny and Entremont)
-there were also a few who didn't see any winner (he named prof. Jasiński)
- he said that after Wund...er's Polonaise-Fantaisie Nelson Freire was so touched that he nearly cried but after all he (Freire) ranked Trifonov higher than Wunder and Avdeeva. Freire was not rather touched by Avdeeva’s playing
- he found Bozhanov a pianist ‘ with enormous talent and real personalité’, he added that a few of jury members ranked Bozhanov on 2 place overall but much of them didn’t like his style because he played himself not Chopin
-prof. Jasiński ranked Wunder in 2 place and Avdeeva in 4
- he found the final results the ‘question of taste’ and there are always ‘misunderstandings’ in the competition
- he admitted that if the rules of competition were left without change the result would be completely different but he ‘don’t know which pianist could make a profit from it.’ He added also that some jury members thought that ‘rules without change could rank some pianists too high even if they played final Concerto horribly’ (he pointed Bozhanov)
- there was no discussion in the final voting, each jury member just presented his final ranking without explanation ‘why’. He also mentioned that maybe if he was allowed to vote on Wunder the arithmetic result would rank the Austrian on the first place
- he said that Khozyainov was too immature and too sentimental for him
-he stated there was few pianists who were near to the real ‘chopinist style’. He praised some Trifonov mazurkas, he loved also Geniusas Etude in A flat Major
-he played down the importance of the fact that Avdeeva wasn’t qualified to eliminations; he repeated that her play was ‘good but not beautiful’ for him
- he accused the jury member who voted against Wunder’s appearance in the final of ‘lack of competence’ and he stated that it’s maybe kind of ‘specific asian taste’ (he didin’t say even Koyama’s name, but only ‘the Japanese jury member’)
- he said that he will rest diplomatic in concern of Polish pianists performances but nevertheless he liked Wakarecy’s simple and natural playing, he even considered him as one of laureats, he praised also Koziak’s Nocturne in F sharp Major

Mateusz Papiernik
[Linked Image]
#1543204 - 10/25/10 02:36 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Mati]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Mati

Let me quote the rules that clarify that point:

The 'yes/no' assessments are of primary importance in the first three stages of the Competition.

NB: Competitors recommended by the Juror for the next stage (marked 'YES')-and only those competitors-should be assigned at least 75 points. This figure will thus constitute the reference point for all the assessments awarded by the Juror in the successive stages.

In first three stages the jury members awarded BOTH yes/no marks AS WELL AS points (>75 for YES, <75 for NO). The average score of 71 is simply the average of all scores given by all jury members for this particular pianist, regardless of yes/no marking.
Thanks! I finally get it.

#1543539 - 10/25/10 10:32 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member
signa  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Ohio, USA
score or no score, it's subjective anyway. it's not like a final exam or something, and how can you rank art really? it just means that how horribly wrong the result of this competition is, because even jury admit different tastes which lead them to the result.

it's really a sad conclusion of an important competition, and the winner will be forgotten soon enough for many.

#1543552 - 10/25/10 10:55 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
fuzzy8balls Offline
fuzzy8balls  Offline

San Diego, CA
See this is why I like the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

When Brock Lesnar was knocked out by Cain Velasquez this Saturday for the championship, there was no doubt in people's minds who is the #1 heavyweight in the world.

#1543643 - 10/26/10 02:50 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Guldesque]  
hcshih Offline
hcshih  Offline

Originally Posted by Guldesque
Avdeeva's sound is as far as you can possibly get from Chopin's singing tone. I did not think she deserved to win. The second movement of her sonata was rather dismaying, as if her technical ability was simply not enough. Very surprised.

I totally agree with your points. I am fine with Avdeeva's interpretation but her sound lacks the singing tone I expect to hear in Chopin (OTHO, Bazhanov produced the singing tone beautifully). The problem is most ppl can't notice this kind of sound quality, even a jury member might not be able to.

Wrt to 2nd movement of her sonata, it's totally a disaster. The music did not flow at all and the video clearly showed her short of technical ability, as her fingers/wrists were under great stress. Also the 4th movement is another disaster too, which was plain and lack of any emotion that was supposed to be the highlights of 4th movement.

And she was awarded best sonata performance. What a surprise.

#1543659 - 10/26/10 03:45 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Victor25  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands
Different taste is fine, but this is just plain arrogant !!

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
#1543676 - 10/26/10 04:34 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member
stores  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Here, as opposed to there
I think what's funny is the comments from those complaining about the results who also state that it's all about taste.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1543748 - 10/26/10 08:07 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
izaldu  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Personally, i make my own conclusions after watching the recitals, for good or bad. Any criticism of the outcome , at the end of the day , reflects what i believe - music is no matter for competitions.

BUT, if competitions have to exist , because of a stupid (IMO) sense of competitiveness brought from different areas of life to music, i think this is as good as it gets. You can't be any more transparent. The decision process is explained in detail, every single performance has been available to everyone for free online. The production of the broadcasts has been brilliant. I even watched the closing recital on my national TV last saturday (Dang Thai Son, Ohlsson ...) . I am very impressed with the effort the organization has made to make this available to everyone interested.

#1543764 - 10/26/10 08:31 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: signa]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by signa
it's really a sad conclusion of an important competition, and the winner will be forgotten soon enough for many.
I think the Chopin Competition has one of the strongest records for producing winners that go onto big careers and are considered very great pianists.

#1543788 - 10/26/10 09:08 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rui725  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Chopin competition, thankfully, is not like American Idol laugh

#1543791 - 10/26/10 09:15 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: izaldu]  
BB Player Offline
BB Player  Offline

Not in Texas
Originally Posted by izaldu
... i think this is as good as it gets. You can't be any more transparent. The decision process is explained in detail, every single performance has been available to everyone for free online. <snip> . I am very impressed with the effort the organization has made to make this available to everyone interested.

Agreed. Avdeeva wouldn't have been my choice to win but after going back and listening to all of her performances and a number of the other contestants I certainly don't think her winning is a "travesty" or anywhere near it. The process was fairly open, judges (like everyone else) have their biases but that's where there is a panel of judges - to provide a balance.

Bottom line is that I enjoyed watching the competition and am grateful that it was made available.

Greg
#1543819 - 10/26/10 09:48 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member
LisztAddict  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Wow! A Richteresque 25/11 by Yulianna

Originally Posted by LisztAddict
Same with Avdeeva Yulianna for the 25/11, very nice interpretation but not 100% clean.

This is one of the most expressive Scherzo No 4 I ever heard.

Originally Posted by Victor25
Anyway 'she' plays very expressive imo.

Here are a few comments (2 from me) regarding Avdeeva's performance from first round(October 6th). I think her playing was quite consistent throughout the competition. There were some technical errors here and there.

I always thought she could place high in the end.

#1543833 - 10/26/10 10:04 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Victor25  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands
She was my favorite, I loved her playing and was rooting for her. Maybe I hoped for a shared first prize of Wunder and Avdeeva.

#1543869 - 10/26/10 10:45 AM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Victor25]  
BB Player Offline
BB Player  Offline

Not in Texas
Originally Posted by Victor25
She was my favorite, I loved her playing and was rooting for her. Maybe I hoped for a shared first prize of Wunder and Avdeeva.

I'd have gone for Wunder first, Avdeeva second but a shared first would have been fine too! My overall feeling was that Wunder was more assured technically so I give him the edge.

It will be interesting to see what happens to their careers.

Greg
#1543937 - 10/26/10 12:18 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Mati]  
ConcertEtudes Offline
ConcertEtudes  Offline

Originally Posted by Mati
The point system is terrible, because they weight each round equally

No, they do not. Where did you get that information from?

M.

From the rules, "After the auditions of stage II are completed and the necessary calculations made, the Secretary of the Jury will present to the Jurors ... the sum of the arithmetic means of the points awarded in stages I and II", and

"After the auditions of stage III are completed and the necessary calculations made, the Secretary of the Jury will present to the Jurors ... the sum of the arithmetic means of the points awarded in stages I, II and III", and

"After all the necessary calculations have been made, the Secretary of the Jury will present ... the values of the final results achieved by the competitors in the final, in the form of the sums of the arithmetic means of the points obtained in all four stages of the Competition"

And I agree with you that after the final round, after seeing the final sum of scores, the jury will then assign each player a rank of 1 to 9, with 1 being first place. Then the average rank of each player is then calculated to get the final ranking.

So if Player 1 scored 100-90-80-75 respectively, the jury will see 100, 190, 270, and 345 after each round. Suppose Player 2 scored 75-80-90-95, the jury will see 75, 155, 245, 340.

After the final round the jury will probably rank Player 1 (score of 345) above Player 2 (score of 340), even though Player 2 did much better in the two more important rounds. Also note that since they present only the sum, without the breakdown of points scored in each stage, the jury won't even know that Player 2 scored much higher than Player 1 in the final round.

Last edited by ConcertEtudes; 10/26/10 12:21 PM.
#1543943 - 10/26/10 12:29 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Victor25  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands
Why is one round more important than another?

#1543969 - 10/26/10 01:06 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: ConcertEtudes]  
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mati  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lodz, Poland

From the rules, "After the auditions of stage II are completed and the necessary calculations made, the Secretary of the Jury will present to the Jurors ... the sum of the arithmetic means of the points awarded in stages I and II", and

(...)

The rules are very general in many places, technically sum can be interpreted both as a plain sum and as a weighted sum. Many sources quoted that it's not a plain sum at all - but it would be best to confirm that information with any of the jury members.

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
[Linked Image]
#1544169 - 10/26/10 06:42 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member
LisztAddict  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
I took the score board from the first round and put into Excel. What I found was rather interesting.

There are 39 people with 6 or more 'yes' votes from the jury. So we think the 40th person would be the one with 5 votes but with the highest score, right? wrong! Joanna Rozewska had 5 votes, 74.33 points, but she is not a student of a jury member. She did not get into second round. Kotaro Nagano had 5 votes and 74.18 points, but he is a student of a jury member, and he advanced to second round.

#1544195 - 10/26/10 07:11 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Andromaque  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

New York
LA
I haven't had time to scrutinize this. How did Bozhanov do, mathematically?

#1544199 - 10/26/10 07:15 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: LisztAddict]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
I took the score board from the first round and put into Excel. What I found was rather interesting.

There are 39 people with 6 or more 'yes' votes from the jury. So we think the 40th person would be the one with 5 votes but with the highest score, right? wrong! Joanna Rozewska had 5 votes, 74.33 points, but she is not a student of a jury member. She did not get into second round. Kotaro Nagano had 5 votes and 74.18 points, but he is a student of a jury member, and he advanced to second round.
I think they'll have to do a redo on the competition. Unless, of course, the jury wants to award MTS first prize and move everyone elso down one.

#1544202 - 10/26/10 07:17 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: Andromaque]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
LA
He's weak on the quadratic formula and trig identites.

#1544226 - 10/26/10 07:55 PM Re: International Chopin Competition [Re: pianoloverus]  
BB Player Offline
BB Player  Offline

Not in Texas
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
LA
He's weak on the quadratic formula and trig identites.

Well yes, but he's very strong on partial differential equations and complex variables so that should balance - the judging is a joke! laugh

Greg
Page 30 of 34 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gaveau Upright 1928-29
by Petrol. 06/24/17 10:34 PM
Grotrian Steinweg Model 100 1960s
by Petrol. 06/24/17 10:11 PM
hammer time
by David Farley. 06/24/17 08:01 PM
Roland DP-603 Gaps between keys - help!
by yenoham. 06/24/17 07:53 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,440
Posts2,638,808
Members88,176
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission