2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Do you believe that there are people out there who simply aren't cut for it, no matter how hard they try to learn and you try to teach? Piano, or even music altogether.

Bach - BWV847 P&F in Cm
Bach - BWV861 P&F in Gm
Mozart - K397 Fantasia in Dm
Mozart - K475 Fantasia in Cm
Chopin - Nocturne in C#m
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Debussy - Golliwogg's Cakewalk
Hofmann - 37-1 To the Lute
Gade - 19-2 Scherzo
Chopin - 25-12 Ocean
Chopin - 25-1 Aeolian Harp
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
No. smile

Anyone who has any interest in playing the piano can learn and do something on it.

If you mean are there some people who just aren't ever going to be real good, yeah. But so what? smile

From the standpoint of a teacher (which I'm not), I would think you just need to adjust expectations, and realize the different goals that people can have.

If a teacher has a very specific or rigid approach, I can imagine that this would be difficult. smile

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
No. But I have had students who found coordinating themselves around a keyboard was much, much harder than playing other instruments. For instance, one student who worked hard for 6 years with only moderate results switched to acoustic guitar and became a virtuoso..... Another with a similar story of moderate achievements on the piano augmented his piano lessons with oboe lessons, and within 3 years was working at diploma standard on *that* instrument.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
P
P
Anyone can learn, with good instruction and the right kind of practice, to play the right notes at the right time.

But...some people are innately musical and others aren't. Anyone who makes it as a professional pianist (or musician) has to have that inherent musicality. It's something that can only be taught to a certain extent.

So to play at a high level? Some (most) people aren't "cut out" for it.

To play recreationally? Anyone can do it.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Who would want to play at that highest level? Not most people - they want music to be a part of their lives, not their profession...... Just like tennis, golf, or skiing.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by GYABEAUX
Do you believe that there are people out there who simply aren't cut for it, no matter how hard they try to learn and you try to teach? Piano, or even music altogether.
Well, people who have no fingers...

but otherwise? There are people who won't, and people who have a very difficult time at it; but all of those have another chance tomorrow, next year, whatever - if they choose to.

PS: I just remembered about the guy who recently played piano with his toes. A lot is possible with time and determination. No time, and no determination? Forget it. But then, most worthwhile things are like that.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
P
P
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
Who would want to play at that highest level? Not most people - they want music to be a part of their lives, not their profession...... Just like tennis, golf, or skiing.

True, but there are people who have true talent who choose not to work towards the highest level, but potentially COULD if they wanted to.

Some people don't have that talent but that doesn't mean they can't play piano at all.

It seems we're all unanimously a bit puzzled at the question.....

It doesn't take a shrink to think that maybe it's about frustration over a particular student or two. smile

(Or if Gyab isn't a teacher, then over Gyab's self.....)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
if that chinese guy can play with his toes, and the poor guy had his arms amputated and never gave up at it. im willing to say that anyone can do almost anything they set their mind to.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
P
P
I'm kind of applying this to dance in my life. I took ballet as a kid, but it didn't come naturally to me, so I gave up. I started again when I was 18. I was DETERMINED to do it, to learn how to dance and get better at it.

I've been taking classes on and off since then (five years). Can I dance? Sure! I can show up to classes, follow the choreography, and work on form and technique. Am I good at it? Decent, for an adult beginner. Have I improved since I started? Absolutely. Am I "cut out" to be a "real" dancer? Absolutely not. But it's something I enjoy and that adds to my life, so I continue to do it.

I think it's the same thing for piano. Anyone can play piano - anyone can take lessons, learn how to read notes/hear the beat/follow rhythms etc. and apply it to pieces at their level. Most people who take piano lessons don't aspire to reach the highest level. You just have to be realistic with your goals.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
If they are trying, then no. There's is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't be able to learn, unless it was there was some sort of mental deficiency or the drive just wasn't there. Trying because you want to and trying because your parents told you to or they wouldn't buy you the car isn't the same thing.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout
unless it was there was some sort of mental deficiency or the drive just wasn't there.
But that's really just saying yes to the original question.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
'cut out for it' doesn't exactly scream mentally incompetent

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by joe84
if that chinese guy can play with his toes, and the poor guy had his arms amputated and never gave up at it. im willing to say that anyone can do almost anything they set their mind to.

That's exactly right. I know of people who seemed to be tone deaf (to the outside world) who set their minds to it and sat at a keyboard for months on end trying to match pitch with each note.. I had a drummer once who did that. He was singing backing vocals on stage for me within a matter of 3 months.

So the answer is no. I don't think its impossible. People who don't seem to get there don't not because of something innate, that's for sure.

The last-to-get-picked (for the piano team) will always be with us.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by liszt85
People who don't seem to get there don't not because of something innate, that's for sure.

+1

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I know plenty of people who were told that they weren’t cut for it. I’m one of them. When I was a child, for some reasons, I had lots of fear. I was naturally very un-coordinated too. I always got D for gym classes while I got lots of A’s for other subjects.

Due to extreme shyness and natural lack of coordination, whenever I went to my piano lessons, I could not play very well. I was scared of my first teacher too. I remember my hands became like stiff wood in front of her. She scolded me like “Ahhh, you are breading the egg again! Why can’t you relax your hands…etc”. The relationship ended shortly. One day I was told to clap my hands to show her that I understand rhythm. I was so nervous that I could not hit any single beat right. My teacher told my parents that I was absolutely not talented and not meant for piano. My parents begged her to teach me because I wanted a lesson very badly. She decided have one of her students teach me. Actually, the young lady (her student) was very kind and I made a decent progress under her. This was 30+ yeas ago in one of the obscure town in Japan. I am sure nowadays things must be different.

If any child likes music, I think you ought to think that person has some potential to enjoy music. Classical piano music does not speak to everyone. When it does, I think it’s precious and I tend think there’s all what you need to learn the piano. I am not wonderful pianist but I enjoy playing the piano for my family and friends. I think the piano helped my coordination too.

I don't see bad coordination as something you're stuck with. All bodies are pretty much mechanically the same. It's imagination. Some just don't have it.

B
B
In 23 years, I have encountered 2 adult students who I believe found even the most basic sequential co-ordination so difficult as to effectively rule them out of any meaningful playing whatsoever. I can also think of a few, of various ages, who were never able to establish any sense of pulse, at least under my tutelage.

Certainly, there is a recognized condition which prevents a person from recognizing any kind of pitch - it would not surprise me if there turned out to be a similar condition relating to rhythm.

That's not to say that there would be no benefit whatsoever to someone who struggles with musical concepts to such a degree in taking lessons.

OP Offline
I am not a teacher. Is my repertoire that difficult? :p Anyway.

I asked because I wanted to know if I should stop taking exams and lessons and just look at piano as a hobby. I am just one or two steps away from being eligible to teach elementary students. The problem is, most teachers have already been there when they were 14 years old, while I'm already in my 20s and still learning, trying to get there. Even if I successfully obtained the accreditation and demonstrated my playing and teaching skills to potential students and their family, no doubt they would ask why I have so little experience teaching piano compared to others my age.

Just... self-esteem issues, basically.

Bach - BWV847 P&F in Cm
Bach - BWV861 P&F in Gm
Mozart - K397 Fantasia in Dm
Mozart - K475 Fantasia in Cm
Chopin - Nocturne in C#m
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Debussy - Golliwogg's Cakewalk
Hofmann - 37-1 To the Lute
Gade - 19-2 Scherzo
Chopin - 25-12 Ocean
Chopin - 25-1 Aeolian Harp
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission