2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1541755 10/23/10 02:03 PM
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So, so sorry. I tried to search the archives, but anything with the word "zoom" comes up. I may get a Zoom Q3, and I know other forum members have this, but I couldn't find the old posts.

Please give me a review. I'd like an "all-in-one" device, and also, my flip-corder doesn't have a mic. output jack, so a Zoom H1 isn't feasible.

Overall, do you like the audio quality of the Q3? I just browsed a few YouTube videos that used the Q3, and the quality is pretty good to me.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This might be the thread that you're looking for. I have one and I'm pretty happy with it. All my videos are recorded with the Q3. It's convenient because you don't need to do much editing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here's a video I did recorded on the Q3

Converted the .mov file using Any Video Converter.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

For easy video recording with decent sound quality at a reasonable price, it's hard to beat the Zoom Q3. If you're curious, you can check out my youtube channel; many of the videos there were made using the Q3. (I always specify the recording setup in the comments.) I also have a few videos with H4 audio, if you want to compare.

That being said, for pure audio recording, I prefer my H4. The problem with the Zoom Q3 is that it is not possible to import the files into audacity (or, at least, I haven't figured out how to do so), which means that I am not able to normalize the audio portion of the file. And it's hard to tinker with the recording levels to get the volume at the right point. So I still use my H4 to record .wav files to burn to CD, while simultaneously recording with the Q3 for YouTube purposes, and I just put up with the lower than desirable volumes on my Q3 videos.

I sure wish Q3 would come out with a HD version, though. I'm tempted by all the beautiful HD videos I see on YouTube that people are making with the Flip HD, but I am too cheap/lazy to buy one and edit my H4 audio to the Flip video. (The Flip audio is not adequate, imo.)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid

Please give me a review. I'd like an "all-in-one" device, and also, my flip-corder doesn't have a mic. output jack, so a Zoom H1 isn't feasible.

I've got a flip vidoe recoded too, and using the Zoom H1 with it really isn't so bad. Most vedeo editing software will allow one to add audio and adjust the position of the audio so one can sync the two.

Another benefit is that I can put the audio recorder right above the open lid of my upright. Plus , at about 100$ us it's a good deal if you alredy have the video recorder.

Just my 2 cents. grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think that the sound quality is very nice. You cannot beat the convenience of having both audio and video together. To be honest, I haven't explored editing possibilities yet, being the technological dolt that I am, it will take a bit of time to do so. However, for the purposes I use my Zoom Q3 for right now (recording my weekly improvements, recording aspects of my lessons, recording my sons playing their instruments), I am really happy with it. Hope that this helps.

Christine

[Linked Image]
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ben, Monica, and Icicles: I have spent lots of time on all your channels, and I do quite like the sound quality (and of course your playing too).

Monica, I remember your old posting where you weren't quite satisfied with the sound quality of the Q3 (and had to revert back to the Q4), so this had me a little concerned. Icicles, thanks for reposting the thread. I read through it, and now understand how you got around it.

eweiss, thanks for posting your link too. I think both the sound and video is awesome. I don't need HD quality for piano videos, as I'm more interested in the sound quality.

@Ben, I saw your new videos with the H1, and they're great. Unfortunately, my JVC Everio has no mic. output, otherwise I would've gotten the H1 too...

PS-I start my new job in November so I'll be getting myself a Christmas present...maybe an early one for the recital. laugh

Last edited by CebuKid; 10/23/10 06:34 PM.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]

Hmm... maybe I came across more pessimistic than I intended to, cebukid. I wouldn't say that I wasn't "quite satisfied" with the Q3 sound, and I am indeed still using it for YouTube purposes. But I like the H4 sound a smidgeon better and record with it at the same time for purposes of burning to CD. smile

Originally Posted by Monica K.
I sure wish Q3 would come out with a HD version, though. I'm tempted by all the beautiful HD videos I see on YouTube that people are making with the Flip HD, but I am too cheap/lazy to buy one and edit my H4 audio to the Flip video. (The Flip audio is not adequate, imo.)

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/q3hd/

I'm waiting for that one to come out. With a bit of luck I can get it just in time to make a recording for the ABF recital.

I'd also need to get my pieces recital-ready and my piano freshly tuned, of course.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician

oh man... you DID have to show me that, didn't you?!?

Guess I know what's going to be on my Christmas list.

Ooh... Sweetwater is showing the Q3HD as being "available very soon." Of course, that's what they said about the Q3 for maybe six straight months. laugh

But I emailed the catalog page to my hubby and hinted strongly that I would be asking Santa for one for Christmas. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i have a zoom q3; click on my youtube link below for recordings with it.

things i like about it: good sound quality; easy to use; easy to post-process and upload

things i don't like about it: audio & video in one unit (so you're always compromising either camera location or mic location); does NOT have a mid gain - only high, low and auto (this is my biggest complaint, and that doesn't change with the Q3 HD)

things i don't care about: HD

all in all i'm happy with it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
oh man... you DID have to show me that, didn't you?!?

Guess I know what's going to be on my Christmas list.

VERY tempting indeed!
- Steve

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
How much does it cost?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
How much does it cost?

Current street price is $299. I remember when I jumped on the H2 yonks ago, this time I'm going to hold out for prob 6mths and pick one up for $199 hopefully.

Besides I'm saving for my iPad although I torn since I know next year (Q2?) they're going to produce v2.0 with a bloody retina screen cursing

Very much looking forward to condensing my sheet music library into one easy to carry around device. The other great thing is I can store my music on there also as a reference as to how the pieces are supposed to be played.

OK sorry kind of went off on a side loop there smile
- Steve

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That being said, for pure audio recording, I prefer my H4. The problem with the Zoom Q3 is that it is not possible to import the files into audacity (or, at least, I haven't figured out how to do so), which means that I am not able to normalize the audio portion of the file.

Hi Monica-

I also have a Zoom Q3, and I am able to import the files into audacity or whatever else. When you plug your Zoom Q3 into your computer, you should see a folder pop up on your desktop, just as if you had plugged in an external drive. If you drill into that folder a couple levels, you'll find the .wav files for everything on the Q3. You can then copy them onto your desktop. In fact, that's the only way I transfer files from my Q3 to my computer. I don't use any special software that might have come with the recorder.

(In fact, my complaint about the Q3 is that I find I *have* to normalize the audio-- on the low input setting it's too soft, and on the high input setting it gets loud and distorted; my solution is to record on low and then normalize. I find this very unsatisfactory; maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll make some tests and ask about them later on.)

-Jason

CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Entheo
i have a zoom q3; click on my youtube link below for recordings with it.

things i like about it: good sound quality; easy to use; easy to post-process and upload

things i don't like about it: audio & video in one unit (so you're always compromising either camera location or mic location); does NOT have a mid gain - only high, low and auto (this is my biggest complaint, and that doesn't change with the Q3 HD)

things i don't care about: HD

all in all i'm happy with it.

You have a very nice repertoire and I have subbed to your channel. smile

Upon a lot of side discussions with BenPiano (thanks Ben!), I have decided to "go cheap" and get the Zoom H1. I like the sound quality, and I won't have to compromise mic. location.

I'm "tech-savvy" (and patient) enough to blend audio and video to get a decent YouTube video and audio recording. My JVC Everio does have HD functionality so I don't ever have to worry about video quality either. Plus, I'd like to start recording my practice sessions more often, audio only, and would like to get optimal sound quality.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback on Q3. smile Maybe one day when it's cheaper, I'll buy it.

Last edited by CebuKid; 10/25/10 02:31 PM.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Glad I could help, you'll be happy with it!

On a side note, after listening to a couple of other pieces I've recorded on my new H1, I think the recording sounds better than hearing the upright live in the room it's in. It seems kind of strange that it would, but I'm really digging this thing so far.

Now only if it could help me hit the right notes. laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

Originally Posted by beet31425
That being said, for pure audio recording, I prefer my H4. The problem with the Zoom Q3 is that it is not possible to import the files into audacity (or, at least, I haven't figured out how to do so), which means that I am not able to normalize the audio portion of the file.

Hi Monica-

I also have a Zoom Q3, and I am able to import the files into audacity or whatever else. When you plug your Zoom Q3 into your computer, you should see a folder pop up on your desktop, just as if you had plugged in an external drive. If you drill into that folder a couple levels, you'll find the .wav files for everything on the Q3. You can then copy them onto your desktop. In fact, that's the only way I transfer files from my Q3 to my computer. I don't use any special software that might have come with the recorder.

(In fact, my complaint about the Q3 is that I find I *have* to normalize the audio-- on the low input setting it's too soft, and on the high input setting it gets loud and distorted; my solution is to record on low and then normalize. I find this very unsatisfactory; maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll make some tests and ask about them later on.)

-Jason

Hmmm... I could've sworn that when I tried to import my Q3 files into audacity, the program bombed. Are you recording audio only? Or both audio and video? Maybe I was importing the video portion and not the .wav portion. I will definitely go back and fiddle with it some more, because I'd love to normalize the volume on my videos.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Monica
I also use Jason's technique.
I've never used the video function on my ZoomQ3, only the audio.
My computer can take a couple of minutes to recognise I have plugged in the ZoomQ3.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission