2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 40 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 39 40
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I didn't think the action of the Nord Piano was all that bad, but I have to admit that I only tried it without any sound (just tapping the keybed). Could be that there is a mismatch between the action and the sound you produce with it, don't know...

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Nord Piano action - taken in isolation, I think it is absolutely fine. I was not expecting anything very nice since it is made by Fatar (although modified according to Nord's specification)...I have had serious problems with Fatar actions in Kurzweil pianos some years ago. But it really is ok...the relationship between the keys and the resulting tone/timbre changes is very good actually. Very dynamic in fact. I would say that if the Nord tick lots of boxes in other respects the action should not really dissuade anyone from going for it.

But (there's always a but), the Nord action is some way short of the Roland PHA II or III. When playing the Roland I can feel mechanics in there...the assembly is working away at reproducing certain elements of the feel and sensations of a grand piano action...I'm certainly not saying it succeeds on every level but there is an obvious and at least partially successful attempt at making it piano like. The Yamaha GH3 is also superior to the Nord for some of the same reasons in my opinion. No doubt the Kawai actions are also significantly better than the Nord.

Steve

G
G
Still wondering when Roland is going to release the manual for the NX.

Greg
Roland RD700NX, KS-G8 Stand, RPU-3 Pedals
Mackie MR5 Speakers
May You Be In Heaven A Half Hour Before The Devil Knows You're Dead...
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Is the RD action a graded action or just weighted? The FP seems to use a progressive action but that isn't indicated in the RD description.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hideki, it's graded.

I believe the only stage pianos with ungraded actions are the CP-1, CP-5, and possibly the older Yamaha S90 range.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hideki, it's graded.

I believe the only stage pianos with ungraded actions are the CP-1, CP-5, and possibly the older Yamaha S90 range.

Cheers,
James
x

I think the SV1 is just weighted too. Not totally sure on that.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
R
R
The SV-1 is equipped with Korg's finest graded-hammer action (RH3) keyboard on both the 73-key and 88-key versions.

That's from the Korg website. I've been still thinking about an SV1-73. Not that it matters but I wish they would have put the felt (usually red) between the chassis and the keys. But they don't. Not a big deal, plus I could probably open it up and intall it myself (custom jobs). I just think it adds a little more elegance and quality look to the board. Plus it does serve as a cushion for the keys when they set back into rest postion. I'm still really contemplating getting one because of the sounds and the portability.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Rhodie73
The SV-1 is equipped with Korg's finest graded-hammer action (RH3) keyboard on both the 73-key and 88-key versions.

That's from the Korg website. I've been still thinking about an SV1-73. Not that it matters but I wish they would have put the felt (usually red) between the chassis and the keys. But they don't. Not a big deal, plus I could probably open it up and intall it myself (custom jobs). I just think it adds a little more elegance and quality look to the board. Plus it does serve as a cushion for the keys when they set back into rest postion. I'm still really contemplating getting one because of the sounds and the portability.

Oh cool. I did play it recently and it felt light all across the board to me. The design and EP sounds are great.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 10/21/10 02:54 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
FYI, "keyfix2000" over at Roland Clan reports the following:

The German Keyboards magazine has published a preview of the new RD-700NX.
The facts are:
V-Piano-like keybed action
3 different SuperNatural Grand Pianos: CONCERT, STUDIO, BRILLIANT
same SN-Epianos as RD-700GX :-(
same virtual tone wheel organs
300 preset and 100 user Live Sets (=setups), no tone section anymore ?
900 ROM-samples instead of 532 Tones
simple USB audio recording
Sound Focus function depends on sound playing: compressor, enhancer, booster
no more Audio Key function
no more Arpeggio
no more SRX-expansion boards

I believe http://www1.keyboards.de/ is the site, as they list the NX under "Previews". Anyone here subscribe to this and can dish further? I wonder if they actually touched one.

Comments from GX/GXF owners?

(I see the Kawai MP6 is in there too.)

Maybe Audio Key function became pointless, since it can now read and write in wav format directly.

Last edited by Qbert; 10/22/10 03:33 AM.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
R
R
Originally Posted by dewster

I believe http://www1.keyboards.de/ is the site, as they list the NX under "Previews". Anyone here subscribe to this and can dish further? I wonder if they actually touched one.

I'm interested in reading that review! There is virtually nothing about the MP6 on the internet in any other language other than German. I'm starting to think that Japanese prefer the German language to English.. sleep

Last edited by Rimmer; 10/22/10 06:25 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Actually, that's true! I've been living in Japan for 9 years, and I know that many japanese people tend to be more in favor of Europe (and specificially Germany) than the US, at least regarding culture and music history e.g. piano.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
R
R
Originally Posted by mucci
Actually, that's true! I've been living in Japan for 9 years, and I know that many japanese people tend to be more in favor of Europe (and specificially Germany) than the US, at least regarding culture and music history e.g. piano.

Maybe you could buy that magazine and translate a review for us?? <hint> <hint> whistle

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well, let's see...

Originally Posted by mucci
I've been living in Japan for 9 years...

You kept that quiet mucci! wink

日本語を読めますか?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
@James: A little bit, but it's quite a while so I'm not that good!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster

The more I think about it, the more I may in fact cancel my order, and hold on to my GXF for a while. Fact is, I'm no longer convinced that the NX is going to be $2400 better than my GXF, and what you posted here dewster further confirms this. I'd rather save the $2400 and wait another year, or wait until I can actually play one, then decide. I'd hate to have spent $2400 on a DP that is marginally better than the GXF I currently have, then be leap frogged in a year with Roland's next best toy. Patience is a virtue-I should practice that more often!!

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Anyone with a GXF want to comment specifically on these things reportedly new to the NX:

- 3 different SuperNatural Grand Pianos: CONCERT, STUDIO, BRILLIANT
- no tone section anymore ?
- 900 ROM-samples instead of 532 Tones

Does the first mean we will get fundamentally different SN AP pianos (Yamaha, Steinway, etc.)?

What are the implications of the second and third? Is this a good thing or does it seem like they are removing something useful (like the arpeggiator)?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Well, there are three SN grands on HP-307 that could possibly be described as Concert, Studio, Brilliant. Certainly one of them is brighter. But to my ears they are essentially the same piano. However, I think GX(F) has a tonally different piano (SN Grand 1) which (I'm over simplifying this) sounds to me rather like an SN'd Expressive Grand. Not my cup of tea at all though. On the GX(F) I find 2 and 4 very similar indeed although I prefer 4. 3 is brighter (more brilliant you could say!) but tonally very related to 2 and 4. I think that SN 2, 3 and 4 are derivatives of the original Superior Grand to some degree. Likewise these three are the same as or very very similar to the three SN grands on the HP-307. So perversely it could be that there is more choice on GX(F) than NX. We're not going to know until people on here get their hands on 'em of course...maybe next month?

Cheers,

Steve

Page 15 of 40 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission