2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 106 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My turn again! I get 2 turns in a row, whoopeee!

Looked at and gave an estimate on a Cable Nelson spinet made by Everett this morning. Had a reschedule come in last minute so, had a hole after that. Then, tuned 2 Steinway's. 1 B and one O. haha, just realized, there is a pun there, B 0!

Was supposed to tune another B but the darn door was locked and I don't have a key yet so, another time.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
100 cent pitch raise on a newer Kohler & Campbell grand that someone bought at an auction, then a Grand spinet, followed by an old Gordon upright.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Turned in my resignation at work today. Go to part time through the end of November, then will be on my own tuning and repairing pianos. Big leap. But ready to be on my own again.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Way to go, Roy!

My first job was in a chateau, perhaps a model of the palace at Versailles, up on it's own hills surrounded by 20 or so acres of prime vineyard. I don't know how many bathrooms the place had, but I would guess at least 6, but probably more like 10. Tons of people on site doing various jobs, including yours truly. The money spent on this house could have balanced the budget in California. "Let them eat cake!"

Two Bosies in residence, one being the red and black giant that toured the world with the three tenors. The hydraulic apparatus that lifts the lid was not functioning, but I couldn't figure it out and turned it over to my pianoDisc installer buddy. So I pitch raised it, then tuned it. The other Bosie was your garden variety six and a half footer/80,000 dollar piano. Half way through the pitch raise, string 1 of C4 broke. This is understrung 17 1/2 wire that crosses the bridge right next to the plate strut. Kind of a PITA to repair, and my first ever on-the-job single string loop! All those years I wondered why they had that on the RPT test! But this was an omen of the last piano of the day.

It was a Wheelock upright, last tuned in the 60s, hand picked in 1934 for the owner's mom by her tuner granpa name of Doolittle. At 50-100c flat, I feared that the steel wound bass strings were not long for this world, and I was right. 3 of the last four bicords broke pretty quickly. I had warned the people....

Hadn't broken a string for months, either. When it rains, it pours.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
T
T
Tuned and serviced a Steinway B,
set level and dip for a Short A Steinway
Had two people call at the same exact moment.
Phone company sent the Price shopper to me and the scheduler to voice mail.

a good day

Torger Baland
Piano Tuner / Technician
Minneapolis / St. Paul
www.PapagenoPianoTuning.com
Find us on Facebook
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Dave Stahl

Half way through the pitch raise, string 1 of C4 broke. This is understrung 17 1/2 wire that crosses the bridge right next to the plate strut. Kind of a PITA to repair, and my first ever on-the-job single string loop!

I've been using the Stringer II tool sold by Pianotek for understring replacements. Now I don't know how I lived without it! It's so nice being able to quickly and easily replace those difficult strings without having to invent streams of new words in the process...

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Turned what would have been a frustrating no-show into a ho-hum cancellation by calling to confirm the appointment the night before. It was for an understandable reason.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Yeah Loren, I love "the stringer." It really helps save time and prevents aggravation, especially with loop strings. I was actually borrowing one from another tech (for about a year!) and just last week he called and said "I want it back." I only needed it on one job in that time but now I'm probably jinxing myself, so its time to call Pianotek I guess...The bridge positioner part of the tool is awesome too.

Yesterday I started out tuning a nice M & H Model A - rebuilt very well within the last 10 years - a pleasure to tune...

Then a Marshall & Wendell 5-footer from the 20's that needed a huge pitchraise and about seven binding hammers realigned; this piano had no agraffes but sounded ok, although the trichord damper felts were more or less crushed due to the lack of consistent string spacing that agraffes provide. The funny part of this is that the fallboard lettering said "Marschall & Wendell" even though the plate casting was stamped "Marshall & Wendell." A refinisher's mistake, perhaps?

Then a brand new Estonia 190, a piano that I always love to tune and play. The last tuning of the day was supposed to be a factory fresh Blüthner Model 6 but it didn't arrive from JFK in time. So maybe Thursday for that one...

Today I get to practice/write all day long...

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Loren D
Originally Posted by Dave Stahl

Half way through the pitch raise, string 1 of C4 broke. This is understrung 17 1/2 wire that crosses the bridge right next to the plate strut. Kind of a PITA to repair, and my first ever on-the-job single string loop!

I've been using the Stringer II tool sold by Pianotek for understring replacements. Now I don't know how I lived without it! It's so nice being able to quickly and easily replace those difficult strings without having to invent streams of new words in the process...

Yes, I've seen the stringer II and will probably buy one after this episode. It looks pretty cool. I've used lots of different tubular items, including brake line, brass tubing, pvc pipe. All that stuff got misplaced when I got a new car several months ago. Time to go hunting in the garage.

I also forgot to mention that the facilities guy at this job told me to park several hundred yards away from the house, which made the various back and forths to the car far more time consuming than desired....

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
First a hammer reshaping/voicing job on an old Hardman grand. These were not the original hammers, but were installed by another tech about 6 years ago, so it was a nice job. Hammers really sounded nice when finished. A little bit of lube on the knuckles to take care of jack friction and some squeaky creaky noise.

After that, an old Ivers & Pond upright sitting in a church basement. I expected it to be 1/2 step flat and instead found it about 30 cents sharp. I prepped myself for a pitch raise for nothing. smile Then went and gave an estimate on another upright. Nice day. Really enjoyed the voicing and maintenance work on the Hardman.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tuned 3 Yamaha P22's 30 minutes away. Lowered all 3 about 1/4 tone to 440. Got there about 9:30, yapped for a bit and was home again by 12:30. smile Tuned last in April. Pianos had to be on pitch, they use them with each other and with other stuff and for concert junk. Practices etc.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Winter came early today......1st piano - Aeolian Winter Studio, 40 cent pitch raise, moisture damage, 3 center pins walking out, dead soundboard, needs reg.

Then on to an 1885 Steinway with original action parts. I filed hammers and did a bench reg over the weekend. The action slipped right in, and with a bit of voicing and tuning was ready to go. I'm amazed at how smooth the reg went on those old parts. The result was very even.

Then, Winter showed it's face again - a customer who had a "country music star" of sorts coming for dinner needed a tuning today on his Winter grand. I'd tuned this in 2008, and it had held pretty well, for a piano with an outer rim less than 1/2" thick.

I finished up, and noted the outside temp was 87 degrees as I drove away. Winter was over. I went home, fed my DAG some GRUB, and he wagged his tail. grin

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The CFIIIs that had broken strings last week today. I came in and listened to the pianist playing it and winced before I remembered them. I told him what the problem was. It sounded good during the show.

The Steinway D yesterday sounded good, too, which was a bit embarrassing, because I have them on a campaign to replace the hammers. The piano is from about 1928, bought new for the building, and the hammers have been replaced once, but it is time to do it again, along with the repetition springs. Regular maintenance will keep it going without a complete rebuild, which they could not afford as easily, especially since it is on the second floor of the building. I replaced the strings 10 years ago, and with any luck they will last another 60 years.

Semipro Tech
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
1920 Gordon upright that was at pitch, followed by an 80's mode Kimball console and an 80's Wurlitzer spinet.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The last 2 days were Yammie days. P22's. Nice tuning pianos. I have it great right now. Cept'n for today. I have 1 Yamaha P22, 1 Baldwin Acro., 1 Kimblah, Winter, Spinet, 1 Aeolian spinet. The positive? I've tuned these pianos exactly 1 year ago today. The negative? Would be if I were to somehow find them 1/4 tone sharp. I wonder if they would stay there? grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Installed a Dampp-Chaserâ„¢ system in a Wurlitzer vertical in a church, then tuned two 1960's vintage Hamiltons at an elementary school. Those old blonde Hamiltons are work horses! They keep going and going and going....

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I take back my last post. Turns out, I had to tune 5 pianos today. My son tuned one of them, I had to touch up some octaves and a few unison's but, 3 of them were Yamaha P22's, 1 was an Everett studio and 1 was a Story & Clark spinet. Had to raise pitch on all 5 of them. Still, 1/2 days' worth of work for me. I love it! smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
First a 1969 Acrosonic that had to come up 30 cents. New customer, and this was another one of those pianos whose top 4 notes have never been tuned; they were around 150 cents flat. After that, a Kimball console at a church, followed by a newer Story & Clark at another church. Then finished off the day with a newer Wurlitzer grand that was 50 cents flat, had out of phase bass strings, false beats throughout the treble, and terribly tight centers on the damper levers. Glad that one's done!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Kimball Console, Schimmel grand, Essex studio, Stein L, Stein L, and finally a Pearl River grand - the most notable of the lot. This piano lacks action glide studs, so I shimmed the center rail and did a reg two years ago to get aftertouch. The strings snap past the bearings, and inharmonicity is soooo high, I had several choices for bass string location. Octave, naw, lets use a double octave, hmmm, try a fifth, naw, octave and fifth, naw, back to the double octave, check the 10ths, hmmmm, note above is a bit out, retune that, try the seventeenths, hmmm, found another that,s not quite right, back to the double octave, and finally after much messing around, treble chords with a bass root sounded good. Actually, it's not a bad sounding piano, once all the farting around with the tuning is complete.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Yamaha G-3 that I do every 6 mos., basically tune the mid range (wet-weather #) touch-up.
Yamaha RX-3, a year old, very close to pitch. Tuned, teflonned knuckles, pushed down on the balanciers to smear the existing lube onto the spring tips(a new trick I thought might be worth trying--it worked! the ticking is gone...for now, anyway).
An ancient Steinway, serial #33237, not sure of the model. According to the Steinway website, it was made around 1876. 85 notes, joined tail, some good sized soundboard cracks. But the old thing still sounded pretty good, considering. I hope I sing that well when I'm 135 years old!
Tuned and pitch raised a ear-splittingly bright Weber studio, a former rental.
Pitch adjusted and tuned a Kawai K-25 that I've been servicing for 8 years, but only every couple of years.
I picked up my 10 year old lad for my weekend with him, and I tried to explain to him why I don't want the music so loud in the car.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
Page 44 of 106 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission