2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 16 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rjt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi all,

I have a new-to-me YUS5 which I am very happy with, however the Ivorite keys have slight wear/stain marks from use. It is obvious the marks are from playing and not the environment because the marks are only present on the central couple of octaves. The discolouration/wear is only slight (I didn't even notice when auditioning the piano), however I would like to polish/clean them if possible. Unfortunately a gentle clean with a soft damp cotton cloth hasn't helped. I think it will require a mild abrasive like toothpaste or baking soda.

I have done lots of googling on how to polish marks off keys and most discussions focus on plastic and ivory, but not Ivorite.

Does anyone have a tip for me?

Many thanks as always.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I can't advise about the discoloring, but any piano that gets played will have key surfaces that are scratched.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Rjt,

Like Dave, I can’t advise you on the Ivorite specifically, but I recently purchased an older Yamaha C7 with the rare, one-piece ivory key-tops. They too were rather dirty when I got the piano. In fact, I knew the key-tops were most likely the one piece ivory when I first looked at the piano because the dirt was ground into the grain of the ivory and the grain was very visible and detailed; and, every key-top had a different grain.

The process I used to clean the key-tops was to take some white vinegar and water and a clean cotton cloth, dampen the cloth in the solution and clean the key-tops. This got a lot of the dirt off and the key-tops started looking a lot better/cleaner, but, like you said, still had some dirt on them (and some slight yellowing in some places).

Next, I actually removed the action from the piano and took the action bracket off the key board assembly, removed all the keys and buffed the key-tops lightly with some 0000 steel wool. That process went a long way in cleaning the ground-in dirt off the surface of the key-tops. However, afterward the key-tops were slightly dull from cleaning them with the steel wool. Then, I took some Colgate whitening-tooth paste and polished the key-tops (with a lot of elbow-grease). They turned out great, even though there was still some yellowing in some places, especially between the sharps where they didn’t get much sunlight. All-in-all they turned out great!

I think the texture of the ivorite material is more similar to ivory than it is plastic.

Best of luck to you with your key-top cleaning project!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
Rjt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks. I tried toothpaste last night. It helped but didn't completely do the job. I will have to try something more aggressive. Perhaps steel wool, auto cutting paste, or a drill polishing pad.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Rjt, it might go faster if you pull the action and remove the keys one by one. Be careful not to depress the keys as you slide out the action.

I play one old Steinway occasionally and the keys are extremely slippery. I've cleaned those keys every time I play that piano to no avail; it's not oil or polish, the keys are just really smooth. I've thought of bringing along sandpaper and just lightly roughing up the surface. I'm not sure how that would be received though.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I thought you had a grand piano. Taking the keys out one by one in an upright should be pretty easy and I'd go that route if I were you.

Report back how it went.

R
Rjt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I would love to take the keys out, but I don't know how to do it. If it is easy for a fairly 'handy' person then I might attempt it. Otherwise I might just suffer the awkwardness of polishing them in place. I'll have to do some research.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Remove the large rectangular panel that is in front of you as you play. The part that covers the keys (I forget the name) might just lift out; I believe mine did. You'll see what has to be removed though I'm sure someone here will be much more elaborate. This isn't rocket science.

You'll see just how easy this is once you remove a few pieces.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rickster
Hi Rjt,

The process I used to clean the key-tops was to take some white vinegar and water and a clean cotton cloth, dampen the cloth in the solution and clean the key-tops. This got a lot of the dirt off and the key-tops started looking a lot better/cleaner, but, like you said, still had some dirt on them (and some slight yellowing in some places).

Hi Rick:

I would have to advise not to use vinegar. Acetic acid is a solvent for many glues, and ivory is porous. There was a book written decades ago, called "How to clean everything" with this bad advice, and this advice has been repeated over the years to the point of being sage advice. Never use anything on a piano without checking with a tech or the manufacturer.

Take care

Steve

B
BDB Offline
B
Plastic suppliers sell plastic polishes.

Semipro Tech
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
Hi Rick:

I would have to advise not to use vinegar. Acetic acid is a solvent for many glues, and ivory is porous. There was a book written decades ago, called "How to clean everything" with this bad advice, and this advice has been repeated over the years to the point of being sage advice. Never use anything on a piano without checking with a tech or the manufacturer.

Take care

Steve

Hi Steve, and thanks for the professional advice. I actually didn’t use very much vinegar in my cleaning solution at all, but I’ll take note of your advice. As you said, I have read many times that highly diluted vinegar and water was a good and safe cleaning agent for all types of piano key-tops, but I guess not.

Thanks again,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
R
I also own a YUS 5 which I keep scrupulously clean. One day, my 5 year old son returned from school and headed straight for the piano and proceeded to play his favourite tune without his washing his hands (breaking a cardinal rule in my household). His last lesson for the day was art and a couple of his fingers were stained with black ink or paint and some of it left marks on the ivorite keys. I immediately wiped it away with a damp cloth. All the black stains were removed but a faint yellowish tinge was left in their place. I tried a number of remedies, including vinegar, piano key cleaner, diluted gentle detergent to no avail.

Then one day I chanced upon someone removing stains from white bathroom tiles using a melanin based scouring sponge to astonishing effect. I went out and bought myself one of those and managed to remove the stains using one of those damp sponges. Only a few gentle strokes completely removed the yellowish stains.

Give it a try!

RichterForever
Yamaha C3, Yamaha CVP 405
R
Rjt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the tip. Although I have no idea what a melanin based scouring sponge is.... Could I trouble you to paste a link to a picture or a shop selling one? I tried googling for one but didn't get very far.

Many thanks....

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think the poster is referring to melamine foam... Mr. Clean Magic Eraser smile

I don't know what the risk of this is, but they are pretty gentle yet effective for other applications.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
L
L
Hi,

You can try polishing the Ivorite with a compresed wool polishing wheel.

Lluís.

Last edited by Lluís; 10/16/10 06:48 PM.

1942 Challen Baby Grand Piano

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )
R
R
Apologies! Melamine was what I was referring to!

RichterForever
Yamaha C3, Yamaha CVP 405
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
My new C3 is also getting these minor little scratches on the keys but I think it is cool, makes me realize I am really using my piano. Since I like these minor little use scratches so much and there as so few down in the bass register I now practice my scales down there.

I am not kidding, this is how I feel. This is a tool and tools that are used show wear with use.

Don't worry, be happy.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
S
S
Have you considered asking a music store or piano tuner for advice? People who maintain instruments (new and used) on a daily basis are likely to have great resources at their fingertips and may have some great advice for you.

Sarah
Yamaha Clavinova CLP270, Teacher
www.mycollegesandcareers.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In that your piano has the new and improved Yamaha ivorite,it should not be too difficult to clean it's surface. Now with the older recall Yamaha ivorite, you actually had to wetsand them and buff them to reseal the pores. A combination of alcohol,orange oil and rubbing compound works great on real ivories.
As Steve mentioned,one always has to be aware of what one uses in that breaking down the glue/adhesion is a bad deal. A precaution if one uses bleach on their ivories. I'm not crazy about steel wool in that it scratches the keys no matter how fine. wink

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Here is a picture of my one-piece ivory keys on my Yamaha C7. My cleaning and polishing project actually turned out pretty good, though they are not as shiny as plastic keys.

I tried to take some close-up pics of the keys so you could actually see the grain in the ivory, my they didn't turn out too good.

Rick

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission