2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 107 of 190 1 2 105 106 107 108 109 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've pretty much shelved anything new in Book 2 for a while. I'm working on my Essential Piano Repertoire book by Snell, and lots of Christmas pieces. I have the Alfred Adult Merry Christmas book (which has all the traditional carols), and also the Alfred Basic Christmas Book 1B - Top Hits, which has all the fun songs like I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bell Rock, etc. which I'm going to play with/for my grandkids, as well as Silver Bells, which is one of my favorites. I also continue to review my favorite pieces from AIO Books 1 and 2 so that I don't forget them entirely.

You are only 1 song behind me in Book 2.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I have book #1 & 2 of Alfreds Christmas stuff. I'll start with those in a few weeks. I haven't had time for the piano in the last two weeks. A few minutes here and a few minutes there. Next week should be super busy too.

I'll just keep checking in here and will update when I start moving again. LOL

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
Can someone please have a look at the following link. not sure if it will work (it's a link generated by google books).

http://books.google.com/books?id=UL...mp;q=alfred%20all%20in%20one&f=false

Can anyone give me the answers on this page. I have no way to tell if the answers I have written are correct.

Hope that links works. It's page 31 if anyone has the book, which they probably will have if they are reading this thread smile

wj3 Offline
Starbug this is what I did for Jefferzzzz awhile back.

Originally Posted by wj3
I don't think there is a answer key... Here is what I have....

I have from left to right, top to bottom....

4/4, 6/8, 4/4, 6/8, 3/4, 4/4, 4/4, 4/4, 6/8, 6/8, 4/4, 3/4, 3/4, 3/4, 3/4, 6/8.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
Nice one, I'll check these against the ones I have tomorrow in more detail. But I can already see several differences!

How do you get a signature image to effect in the profile, is there a special code for this forum? I want my level one graduate badge lol !

Thanks for reposting this info.. sure someone else will make use of these posts further down the space time continuum

Last edited by starbug; 10/15/10 10:44 PM.
Hi to all fellow book 2 players,

I've been reading this thread for several months & thought I might like to drop in once in a while. Hope I'm not intruding.

I seem to at the same point as several others; La Raspa & He's....Fellow. I find La Raspa to be a most welcome change after struggling with Solace for the past 3 weeks. Why the personal struggle makes no sense to me, since the piece really isn't that difficult. My main difficulty was, still is, the L-hand playing of C(5) & reaching AC(2,1), same with C & reaching B-flat,C. To those out there who may have difficulty stretching a full octave, how do you handle that problem, especially if you have limited hand/finger mobility?

I gather that some have teachers. Question: how musically "perfect, correct" -sorry if I'm not using the correct term- are you with whatever piece is currently being learned before your teacher moves on to the next piece. Why I'm asking is, my teacher moves me on once I have the correct fingering, timing, & I'm able to move my eyes between the keys & music without becoming lost or hesitation (reading music fortunately isn't a problem. I memorized the notes long ago, plus I had Alfred's basic keyboard chart sitting on the music rack. The chart made a great "cheat sheet" whenever I was stuck). But, I haven't memorized the current piece. Is having memorized a piece that important, or is being able to play "well" just as good? At times I feel that I'm wasting her time & my husband's money because I have so few pieces committed to memory. I can identify with the British actor Hugh Laurie, who told an interviewer when asked about his piano playing; that he knew a lot of beginnings & ending of songs but very few middle parts.

I'm with Starbug, how DO you go about getting your book 1, etc. "sticker"?

Last edited by 2picky4most; 10/16/10 01:25 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think there are instructions for getting the Book 1 stickers if you go to the first page in this very long thread, and click on Alfred Graduates List. The stickers are there and I seem to recall someone posting instructions on how to put them in your signature.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mom3gram
I think there are instructions for getting the Book 1 stickers if you go to the first page in this very long thread, and click on Alfred Graduates List. The stickers are there and I seem to recall someone posting instructions on how to put them in your signature.

Done, thanks! yippie

Originally Posted by wj3
Starbug this is what I did for Jefferzzzz awhile back.

Originally Posted by wj3
I don't think there is a answer key... Here is what I have....

I have from left to right, top to bottom....

4/4, 6/8, 4/4, 6/8, 3/4, 4/4, 4/4, 4/4, 6/8, 6/8, 4/4, 3/4, 3/4, 3/4, 3/4, 6/8.

Right I've had a good look at the answers and I do have 9 out of the 16 right, which is so-so yawn

However
one question I have is relating to the dotted half note in answer number one, top right (after the pre-filled 4/4 measure).

Now the answer posted of 6/8 time is something I struggle to understand?! I have written the answer of 3/4 because I actually saw this measure with a single dotted half taking up a whole measure in one of the Bach pieces in my Yamaha book.

If I can post the following link, to let someone explain why.. please!!!??

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:JgbbWwbcmdgJ:www.gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/Classics/8BachMin.pdf+bach+minuet+in+g&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShKTH0lCy7vfEZLz06Ti6tTGHXgglZwQDoHUIBcwHLnVLCAQWcxi1JkvHuAU08KZrNBrVJUnJm-yQGVTFXggt8Owxl7Gu7g5Dbb1Ni4n_CDB_dVnGHHmqLIr32cI1jiwiwXGRdj&sig=AHIEtbTKSeqVyD-qz5_3QUwp6j9ACS3lXg

Measures 2,3 and 4 have the same single dotted half note and the piece is in 3/4 time, so my question is how can that answer be 6/8? Is it valid for both time signatures?

Any input would be welcome. I can see how I got the other answers wrong, and can kinda see where I went wrong, but the top right answer is really confusing me. If someone can explain it would be super!

EDIT : That link to googledocs isn't click able, so perhaps these links would be better :-

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/6/60/IMSLP08275-Anna-magdalena-04-a4.pdf

http://www.makingmusicfun.net/pdf/sheet_music/minuet-in-g-level-five-piano-solo.pdf

Just struggling to understand bah

Last edited by starbug; 10/17/10 11:19 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I wrote the answer as 3/4 & my teacher agreed; I also had the one below as 3/4, & she corrected that to 6/8. When I look back at this page, I had other ones that seemed ambguous, & I still find them confusing.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joyoussong
I had other ones that seemed ambguous, & I still find them confusing.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one lol heart

After recently noticing the differences between the new version Alfred's all-in-one, bk.1 & the older one (posted differences in bk. 1 section), I became curious as to what are the main differences between the current Alfred's BASIC adult bk. 2 & the adult all-in-one bk. 2; especially when I read that someone was playing Tumbalalaika which isn't in my all-in-one bk. 2.

My findings surprised me, & again I feel that Alfred's has short changed those of us who use the all-in-one book. And no, I do ot go around feeling short changed in life. It's just as my alias says, I'm picky. I digress, sorry. Of course the all-in-one has more pieces to learn, as well as, more theory, but, it is what has been LEFT OUT that has me surprised. Listed below are the exclusions from the all-in-one, but:

Found in Alfred's BASIC adult bk. 2:

Minor differences:

-Tumbalalaika, on p.6
-Roman Holiday, on p.10-11
-Tempo Indications, on p.12
-La Cucaracha, on p.20-21
-Inversion of Seventh Chords, p.48
-America, the Beautiful, p.49
-Musette (from Anna Magdalena Bach's notebook), p.54-55
*note: this is not the same as Theme from Musette's Waltz. Both books have that

Biggest differences, in my opinion:

-Introducing: The Trill, p.82
-Theme...Festive Rondeau, p.83
-Reference Section, (Alfred's term not mine), p.88-95
-the circle of 5ths - major keys (nice diagram)
-the circle of 5ths - minor keys (nice diagram)
-major scales & primary chords; C major & sharp keys
-major scales & primary chords; flat keys
-harmonic minor scales & primary chords; A minor & sharp keys
-harmonic minor scales & primary chords; flat keys
-charts to form chords in an key! (Alfred's exclamation mark)
-dictionary of musical terms

Now to someone who has some previous musical experience these differences are probably not important. I, on the other hand, am a rank novice and find this "extra" information most useful. So, WHY did Alfred's leave this out of the all-in-one, other than the most obvious...... to have more sales? Is there anyone out there who is employed by Alfred's to give an answer?

Question: when I complete book 2, which book 3 do I buy? Basis or all-in-one?

Last edited by 2picky4most; 10/18/10 11:21 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 2picky4most
After recently noticing the differences between the new version Alfred's all-in-one, bk.1 & the older one (posted differences in bk. 1 section), I became curious as to what are the main differences between the current Alfred's BASIC adult bk. 2 & the adult all-in-one bk. 2; especially when I read that someone was playing Tumbalalaika which isn't in my all-in-one bk. 2.

My findings surprised me, & again I feel that Alfred's has short changed those of us who use the all-in-one book. And no, I do ot go around feeling short changed in life. It's just as my alias says, I'm picky. I digress, sorry. Of course the all-in-one has more pieces to learn, as well as, more theory, but, it is what has been LEFT OUT that has me surprised. Listed below are the exclusions from the all-in-one, but:

Found in Alfred's BASIC adult bk. 2:

Minor differences:

-Tumbalalaika, on p.6
-Roman Holiday, on p.10-11
-Tempo Indications, on p.12
-La Cucaracha, on p.20-21
-Inversion of Seventh Chords, p.48
-America, the Beautiful, p.49
-Musette (from Anna Magdalena Bach's notebook), p.54-55
*note: this is not the same as Theme from Musette's Waltz. Both books have that

Biggest differences, in my opinion:

-Introducing: The Trill, p.82
-Theme...Festive Rondeau, p.83
-Reference Section, (Alfred's term not mine), p.88-95
-the circle of 5ths - major keys (nice diagram)
-the circle of 5ths - minor keys (nice diagram)
-major scales & primary chords; C major & sharp keys
-major scales & primary chords; flat keys
-harmonic minor scales & primary chords; A minor & sharp keys
-harmonic minor scales & primary chords; flat keys
-charts to form chords in an key! (Alfred's exclamation mark)
-dictionary of musical terms

Now to someone who has some previous musical experience these differences are probably not important. I, on the other hand, am a rank novice and find this "extra" information most useful. So, WHY did Alfred's leave this out of the all-in-one, other than the most obvious...... to have more sales? Is there anyone out there who is employed by Alfred's to give an answer?

Question: when I complete book 2, which book 3 do I buy? Basis or all-in-one?

i noticed that too...but all in one still has more information...its pretty similiar and close. and they have the trill and that other stuff in all in one book 3 i believe

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
E
E
2picky4most - It does seem that you almost need a scorecard to keep up with Alfred's series differences. I bought all three of the regular Adult series about three weeks before I joined this forum. I must have missed the All-in-One series on the web page. Every once in a while, someone would report playing a song I didn't have in my "regular" Alfred's book 1 and it was then, that I found out about the AIO series. So as I finished Book 1, I decided to bite the bullet and order Book 2 and 3 of the AIO series as it seemed the majority of folks here, had that version.

Pity the poor noobie who now finds there are 3 versions of Book 1. The regular Adult Book, the AIO version and the newest Self-Teaching version.

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Self-...p;ie=UTF8&qid=1287427361&sr=1-16

This new version comes standard with the CD standard (no non-CD version)and a few pop hits added at the end. But strangely, there's no Book 2 or 3 ...it recommends (and has a picture of) the regular series Book 2 and 3 for those wanting to advance. Choices..choices! frown

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
2picky4most - Yes, as Joe84 stated, quite a number of the “Biggest differences” that you identified are found in the “Adult All-In-One Book 3” (but not all of them).

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Working on Pomp and Circumstance. Hard to keep it from sounding sad, I must say.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
D
D
I haven't posted in quite some time so I guess it's time for an update. I've been real busy lately around the house getting things ready for winter and taking care of some family things.

Had a lesson today and overall it went well. Sometimes I think the lessons are slowing me down because I only go every two weeks and if I don't have something quite right it means continuing a piece for at least 2 additional weeks until my next lesson. Even if I get it and play it correctly the next day I have to keep playing it to keep it fresh until the next lesson. So it has been slow going lately for me. At times I think about stopping the lessons but I made a commitment to myself to do them for at least a year and then decide. The year will be up in January. The thing that frustrates me the most is that I don't have a single piece that I would be able to play well for anybody. I would have to practice something for a while to bring it up to a satisfactory "audience" level. To top it off my teacher started talking about a public performance of some type in my future for the first time today. I shudder just thinking about it!

I was passed on Light and Blue today and made good progress on Hungarian Rhapsody. I have it pretty good but have some minor things to correct so it's another two weeks for this one. We started Morning Has Broken and it doesn't seem too hard for the first 2 chord styles but the third option seems like it will be quite a challenge. We also assigned Alexander's Ragtime Band if I get time to start it. I'm also working on Somewhere over the Rainbow from the AIO Self Teaching book and it's coming along but I'll be a while on that one.

I am also working on some Christmas pieces that will be played as a duet with my son's girlfriend.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
N
Hello everyone! Wow...there are alot of Alfred Versions around! I am working on the basic adult set of 3, and I have added the Finger Aerobics and All Time Favorites. I also have the first 2 Christmas songs and Greatest Hits 1 & 2. ...yes...I'm buying, buying, buying! Sigh....

Currently, I'm working on the Alfred written song Scherzo in Book 2. It's supposed to be a happy song, but it's written in a minor key...which sounds kind of sad. It is a pretty song, but it reminds me of Raisins & Almonds in Book 1.

Since not having a teacher for the last few weeks, I have felt a little freedom to work on songs that I would like to improve. Not that I don't work on my Lesson Book 2, but my instructor only had me working 1 tune out of that book anyway, but assigned me various songs in other books.

I've been working on Sunrise, Sunset (actual SHEET MUSIC!!) and Memory from the Greatest Hits book. I also am starting to work on Christmas Songs..which I need to hit a little harder. Just didn't want to get sick of them before the season.

The things that I have dropped since no lessons...that I really should be doing are my scales and Hanon exercises. Bad me. I should just use them as a warm up..instead of hurrying up and doing my songs. Patience, patience.

Question for those doing the Christmas book one....how do you use that accompaniment section for each of the songs? I find it rather small to read from...should I blow it up and play that instead of the melody? Is it for duets? Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Hope everyone has a great weekend of piano playing!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

D
D
It's for duets Nancy. That's the part my son's girlfriend will be playing. It sounds strange by itself but very nice when played wit the main part.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
(really quiet out there...)

I'm in the middle of a house move, staying in a temporary house for about a month -- and without a piano.

I'm pretty sure I won't remember a THING when I get re-setteled, but look forward to getting back on the horse.

Keep on keepin' on.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
Page 107 of 190 1 2 105 106 107 108 109 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission