2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 50 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 49 50
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not only from them. Chopin's mazurkas ARE the dances, and therefore they have very characteristic and typical to that dance sense of rhythm, accentuation and tempo rubato.

That is the main reason why mazurkas are considered pieces very difficult to play correctly and are the workhorses during this competition, and during diploma exams in our universities. When you look at the programme it comes pretty clear why polonaise, waltz and mazurka are stacked together - playing them closely aparat shows very well the understanding of these genres and differences between them.

It is very important not to blend a mazurka into a waltz (which is often tempting and very often heard).

The commentators fully agree on this, but it is not basically their opinion. I'm not familiar with English books on this subject, though. I am pretty sure this topic is broadly covered in books on Mazurkas, 19th music and Chopin in general.

Last edited by Mati; 10/14/10 09:43 AM.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
S
S
i think what the commentators were commenting upon were two things: what sounded like mistakes (wrong notes, wrong tempi, etc.) -- in the sense of just being WRONG, i.e. misread; but possibly also interpreting liberties in violation of the score (that's just my guess)

S
S
mati

i think the importance of the mazurka is underscored by the existence of the special mazurka price -- they really want you to get the mazurka right

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok the faces of that Chinese girl are just too much.

If we can't put emotions in our playing, put them in our face :|

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
G
G
I actually think her playing is expressive though. I
n the last movement of the sonata she somehow lost control a little bit.

Gao
S
S
Wow, huangci's 2nd sonata is incredible

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by izaldu
plus ... from the online commentators - who happen to be polish too and i guess have some knowledge even if they re not the jury.
The online commentators may have may have good knowledge, but when the jury chooses a pianist not liked by the commentators, I think this shows that the commentators have opinions only. IMO there is not one correct way to play a Mazurka or Chopin in general. One only has to listen to the many different great performances by the great Mazurka players to see this.

Exactly what do you think the pianists who played Mazurkas incorrectly did wrong? I don't think it's "brain surgery" knowing what things should be done when one plays a Mazurka. Nor do I think the teachers of the huge majority of contestants fail to understand what's needed for a good Mazurka performance or lack the ability to explain that to their students.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

IMO there is not one correct way to play a Mazurka or Chopin in general.

Of course! But there are incorrect ways.

One only has to listen to the many different great performances by the great Mazurka players to see this.

And one will only hear performances faithful to the mazurka rhythm. No acclaimed Mazurka performer takes liberty at that.

Exactly what do you think the pianists who played Mazurkas incorrectly did wrong?

Those, who played them incorrectly put emphasis on the first beat with clearly heard waltz rhythmic feel (OOM-pa-pa). I believe there are other factors too, my ear and understanding of these pieces is not good enough to discern the features though.

Nor do I think the teachers of the huge majority of contestants fail to understand what's needed for a good Mazurka performance or lack the ability to explain that to their students.

I don't remember anyone talking about majority? Those who were accused of INCORRECT peformances were single exceptions, not the majority. Criticism of others was quite subtle.

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
Online Content
Double post

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/14/10 06:03 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some of them CLEARLY missed the 2nd beat accent, which is the basic of a mazurka. OTOH, ofcourse you are right that they are some of the best on the planet, and their playing is remarkable. That said, I know what they mean when they said their mazurka's weren't mazurka's.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
izaldu: The commentators may be knowledgable, but I think the fact that the jury has strongly disagreed with them at times shows that there is much subjectivity involved. I don't think there is only one correct way to play a Mazurka or any Chopin work. I think the huge differences in performances of the Mazurkas by the "great Mazurka players" support this idea.

The contestants are among the best young pianists on the planet and have the best teachers and attend the best conservatories. I don't think it's reasonable to think that these teachers don't know what's necessary to give a good Mazurka performance or they can't successfully teach this to their students.

Are there specific things that you feel many of the competitors missed in their Mazurka performances? Specific things the online commentators said?

I know you've criticized people here for giving harsh criticism to professionals due to our lack of "standing", but in this case you're dealing with professionals dealing with other professionals....

Just my opinion, just because a pianist has the best teacher, is one of the best young pianists in the world, has a fantastic resume,etc, doesn't mean they can play this kind of music correctly. This includes all folk music, or ethnic music, like Albeniz as well.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Online Content
I hereby officially excuse all workers of the world to take one hour off from work tommorrow to watch Mei Ting Sun play(11 am Eastern Standard Time).

I'll also send $1 to everyone reading this thread if MTS doesn't push up his glasses more than five times.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/14/10 08:13 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hereby officially excuse all workers of the world to take one hour off from work tommorrow to watch Mei Ting Sun play(11 am Eastern Standard Time).

I'm in! (no really, I'm off all day tomorrow, I love my job)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I feel excused and hereby I declare I am going to hear him tommorrow LIVE!

Mateusz Papiernik
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mati
Originally Posted by Pianoloverus
Exactly what do you think the pianists who played Mazurkas incorrectly did wrong?

Those, who played them incorrectly put emphasis on the first beat with clearly heard waltz rhythmic feel
I think that, although there are different kinds of Mazurkas, the main difference between a Mazurka and a Waltz is the accent on the second or third beat. There are degrees of accent, so saying a pianist played a Mazurka like a Waltz is subjective unless they pounded out the first between compared to the second or third. IMO the appropriate amount of accent, whether on the second or third beat, would depend on the partciular Mazurka. I think there is still an accent on the first beat in a Mazurka, just not as pronounced as in a waltz.

Whatever the correct thought about the main difference between a Mazurka and Waltz is, do you really think the contestants and their teachers are unaware of this? It's not some secret or highly advanced topic.

Originally Posted by Pianoloverus
Nor do I think the teachers of the huge majority of contestants fail to understand what's needed for a good Mazurka performance or lack the ability to explain that to their students.

I don't remember anyone talking about majority? Those who were accused of INCORRECT peformances were single exceptions, not the majority. Criticism of others was quite subtle.
Maybe I'm confusing the criticsm with PW posters criticsm about the Mazurkas. I do recall someone saying or quoting the online panel that the majority of contestants didn't know how to play a Mazurka.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/14/10 06:18 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
izaldu: The commentators may be knowledgable, but I think the fact that the jury has strongly disagreed with them at times shows that there is much subjectivity involved. I don't think there is only one correct way to play a Mazurka or any Chopin work. I think the huge differences in performances of the Mazurkas by the "great Mazurka players" support this idea.

The contestants are among the best young pianists on the planet and have the best teachers and attend the best conservatories. I don't think it's reasonable to think that these teachers don't know what's necessary to give a good Mazurka performance or they can't successfully teach this to their students.

Are there specific things that you feel many of the competitors missed in their Mazurka performances? Specific things the online commentators said?

I know you've criticized people here for giving harsh criticism to professionals due to our lack of "standing", but in this case you're dealing with professionals dealing with other professionals....

Just my opinion, just because a pianist has the best teacher, is one of the best young pianists in the world, has a fantastic resume,etc, doesn't mean they can play this kind of music correctly. This includes all folk music, or ethnic music, like Albeniz as well.
I would give more credibility to the panel of professionals than non professional posters. My objection was that I think they said most of the contestants didn't know how to play Mazurkas. I don't think being a top young pianist with a great teacher guarantees someone will play a Mazurka "correctly", but I think the chances of this happening are fairly small.

Your point about including Albeniz with other folk music is interesting. I always felt de Laroccha's playing of Albeniz(but also all Spanish and even non Spanish music) had some rhythmic quality(I can't put into words) that was one its main assets.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/14/10 06:21 PM.
Online Content
Mei-Ting Sun is giving me chills in this round. He has an amusing neckwear too! laugh
Amusing or just colorful? I couldn't see it that clearly or didn't look closely enough. He is the only pianist I saw that wore a colorful tie(some wore no tie). I don't know if is really appropriate for such a competition but I don't think it's enough for automatic disqualification. It looked better than the other American's skinny tie with a button down collar.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Disqualification? For not wearing a tie??

That would be most ridiculous, Gulda has already proven its worth of one's clothes during a performance laugh!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tomorrow evening couldn't be better IMO!

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Mei-Ting Sun is giving me chills in this round. He has an amusing neckwear too! laugh
Amusing or just colorful? I couldn't see it that clearly or didn't look closely enough. He is the only pianist I saw that wore a colorful tie(some wore no tie). I don't know if is really appropriate for such a competition but I don't think it's enough for automatic disqualification. It looked better than the other American's skinny tie with a button down collar.

Skinny tie is how young people dress these days...I love it and do the same...

Page 37 of 50 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 49 50

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission