2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1534018 10/12/10 04:43 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I was wondering if anybody here has ever played a so-called silent piano and what they think of it.

I downloaded the manual of the Yamaha U1 (this is the one my usual music shop has) and looking at the troubleshooting guide there were a couple of points that didn't quite convince me, like:
☞ The acoustic piano emits sound when I am using the Silent Piano function to play.
- Playing with extreme force may result in sound being emitted from the acoustic piano. Please moderate the
strength of your playing.
What if I had to play a piece with fff at night?
☞ When I play a rapid series of notes in Silent Piano mode, a loud sound is emitted that is not part
of the performance.
- This is not a fault. The structure of the Silent Piano causes this to occur in some cases.
Same as above. I could have to play a presto piece at night, and it says it is not silent in such cases?

Anyway, if you have a silent piano, are you happy with it?
I am just exploring several possibilities for upgrading my piano next year or so.

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Mine will arrive next week - it isn't a U1, mine is smaller (P112).
We played it in the shop in Silent mode - (3 of us , with me being the least accomplished pianist!).

I didn't notice any sound being emitted other than through the headset.

I don't quite see that it COULD emit sound..... the hammers don't get anywhere near the strings. (we had it opened up to watch the innards at work!).

Now I'm a tad concerned.
I'll certainly report back once I've had a chance to play it again.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

R
Rjt Offline
R
I just bought a silent YUS5. The only sounds the piano makes outside the headphones is the sound of the hammers moving and striking the silent bar, even at fff. The strings are not struck. It is pretty quiet, but sounds like galloping horses tee hee.

I am very happy with my silent piano. I do find that it is difficult to play ppp acoustically. This might be due to the way the hammers have to be set for the silent function to work or just that my piano needs the action regulated - I've asked a technician to check just in case.

I play 1-2 hrs a day with the headphones on. It is fantastic.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Wow a YUS5 Silent. Nice piano!
Let us know how you get on with your technician.
I have also heard that the change in letoff of the Yamaha Upright Silent installation can impact the ability to play ppp.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
the term 'silent piano' alone makes me, well, feel uncomfortable...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I think the best thing to do for me would be to try it out... Unfortunately I don't know if they have it in the shop, although it is on their website. They might have it in Sydney though, I could try it out there and then if I like it buy it here, where they usually give me a nice discount...
Somehow it is good to know about possible problems, so I can test it more carefully.
I think they mean it can happen though, not that it always happens...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

R
Rjt Offline
R
Originally Posted by theJourney
Wow a YUS5 Silent. Nice piano!
Let us know how you get on with your technician.
I have also heard that the change in letoff of the Yamaha Upright Silent installation can impact the ability to play ppp.

Thanks. smile I'm over the moon to have the piano.

I also have heard ppp can be an issue for silent pianos and I suspect this is the issue with mine. However without the silent function I would be stuck with a digital piano, so it may just be a price I have to pay.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
the term 'silent piano' alone makes me, well, feel uncomfortable...

On the other hand, playing at 3 am on a real acoustic keyboard without worrying about housemates, neighbors or the police makes me, well, feel liberated.

Call it a hybrid if you please. If you haven't tried one, the experience is highly recommended.

Last edited by theJourney; 10/12/10 06:24 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
well, luckily I can do all you mentioned anytime, it happens.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
R
Rjt Offline
R
I would prefer to have bought a non-silent piano and be able to play it at any volume and at any time; but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being a purist right now. My piano is in my living room and I can practice while my wife watches TV or is sleeping or at midnight. I can do far more practice than I otherwise could which is liberating and worth any minor negatives.

Bottom line, if playing silently allows you to play more it is well worth it. In any case I find the technology so good that I usually forget I've got the headphones on.

R
Rjt Offline
R
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Same as above. I could have to play a presto piece at night, and it says it is not silent in such cases?

It will always be silent in silent mode. You are misunderstanding the trouble shooting guide. These comments just refer to the hammer noise.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
So the "loud sound" is just disturbing, but obviously won't be heard by the neighbours...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

R
Rjt Offline
R
It's a pretty quiet noise. You really need to try one and see for yourself. When you hear it I'm sure you will say, oh, is that all, no problem. It's not much louder than playing an electric piano with the power off - just some key action noise.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had a silent U1 or U3 while in Europe for a few years. I was really happy with the piano and I wondered why it wasn't more popular in Canada/US. From what I remember, the noise of the hammers was quieter than the keys on digital Yamaha Clavinovas. I also liked the action on it better than digital actions (although I've heard they are now producing digital pianos with the same action).

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
U1 and U3 seem to be the most popular ones here too, actually even the only ones available in many shops...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
well, luckily I can do all you mentioned anytime, it happens.

You're very fortunate - not all of us are able to do so.
I was thrilled to find a piano I liked, in my budget, with this feature.

8 days to go......to delivery day!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

R
Rjt Offline
R
Just a general note for those who haven't tried a silent piano system like Yamaha's SG (or Kawai's new ATX). It is an extremely impressive experience. It feels and sounds very authentic with excellent dynamic control and responsiveness.

I know when I first heard about the technology I thought it sounded a bit dodgy at best and a terrible mutation of a beautiful acoustic instrument at worst.... but companies like Yamaha have executed it very well.

Rjt #1534408 10/13/10 06:00 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Rjt
Just a general note for those who haven't tried a silent piano system like Yamaha's SG (or Kawai's new ATX). It is an extremely impressive experience. It feels and sounds very authentic with excellent dynamic control and responsiveness.

I know when I first heard about the technology I thought it sounded a bit dodgy at best and a terrible mutation of a beautiful acoustic instrument at worst.... but companies like Yamaha have executed it very well.

+1

80% of the Yamaha pianos sold in by the largest Yamaha dealer in Amsterdam all have the factory Silent system installed. In this day and age of low tolerance, high individualism, close neighbors and thin centuries old walls, the surest way for a child's piano lessons to be stopped before they really got started is to have the neighbors demand that they stop. Silent Pianos have been a godsend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
...the surest way for a child's piano lessons to be stopped before they really got started is to have the neighbors demand that they stop. Silent Pianos have been a godsend.

Or their parents who don't want to hear their practicing frown

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Arghhh #1534510 10/13/10 10:06 AM
R
Rjt Offline
R
Hee hee. Or wife in my case.

I actually find it very convenient to spend the hours grinding away at new pieces (and scales etc) with the headphones on. Then to only play near performance-ready pieces acoustically. It means my wife only ever hears me play the good stuff and not the tedious practice stuff - she thinks I'm a musical genius!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission