2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
At my school, I work in the A/V department and we have a morning show. We play music on the morning show and I want to expose the school to some older music, so they aren't bombarded with the utter crap that people call music nowadays. I want to expose them to classical music, but through some cool takes on classical music or pop music arranged for classical instruments, to have something different. Any suggestions?

Paul Dateh and Black Violin are in the range of what I"m looking for laugh

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Try some Maksim, perhaps. If you can show a video, his Croatian Rhapsody is a crowd-pleaser, and he does pure classical, too, e.g., Flight of the Bumblebee.

Croatian Rhapsody:

His "Sarabande" is pretty catchy, too:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra does classical with a heavy metal twist. Here's one of their official videos for Beethoven's Fifth:

And of course the "Wizards of Winter" video that went viral...

Epica has an entire "Classical Conspiracy" album that does classical pieces with a symphonic metal take. Here's an ex:

Mike Oldfield does pop/new age with orchestral arrangements. He's best known for "Tubular Bells," which he wrote when he was a teenager and played all the instruments himself. His most recent album ("Music of the Spheres") was intended to be a pure classical album. Here's "Harbinger" from that album:

S
S

Well, it's certainly a remix wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Haha, some people are going to hate this thread, but if they do, they should just leave and not post anything.

I always liked this one:

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Haha, some people are going to hate this thread, but if they do, they should just leave and not post anything.

I always liked this one:

Hey, that's great! I guess it's DIY-development-section day, but still, pretty great.

It actually makes explicit a lot of feelings I've always had about this movement. For instance, the change in the drum back-beat from 0:43-0:48 to 0:49-0:54. I've always heard that kind of thing in the original, and I'm really glad they felt the same way.

-J

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Oh, Geez! How wrong can you be?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
Here's one I quite like. And before you get up in arms over the name, the guy who did this goes by Wolfgang Gartner.

Wolfgang's 5th Symphony

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bond is really cool. They are a rocked up string quartet. Here's their version of the aquarium from saint saens carnival of animals.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Skorpius
I want to expose them to classical music, but through some cool takes on classical music or pop music arranged for classical instruments, to have something different.

In other words, you don't want to expose them to classical music, but want to pretend that you are.

Here's something I did a few years ago with the first movement of Bach's G major solo cello suite using Reason (Redrum to be exact). The pictures are from a study of child development.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
At the risk of dating myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEh2N5hmPVM

Aw tJ, that just ain't right.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xin9wO6Ig08&sns=em [/video]

Oontz! Oontz! Oontz!

Conservatory of Music @ Brooklyn College
Piano Performance, Class of 2014
This I actually bought because I liked the oboist:

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Philip Glass meets rock.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Skorpius
I want to expose them to classical music, but through some cool takes on classical music or pop music arranged for classical instruments, to have something different.

In other words, you don't want to expose them to classical music, but want to pretend that you are.

That's also how I interpret the original post. If you want to expose people to classical music, if you hope that some of them will develop a taste for it, an interest in it and even a passion for it, give them the real thing. Of course that may require some careful, judicious selecting which represents, perhaps, a fair amount of work. Otherwise, change the premise.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
Look up Apocalyptica on youtube. They have done classical as well as Metalica covers; they are classically trained cellists.

Beethoven Virus from 3rd movement Beethoven's Pathetique.

I think some of those who are against the idea of using a souped up version of classical may not realize how low the average teenager's interest in this music really is. When I was teaching high school, I would often walk by the music teacher's room(he was very good and all sophomores had to take music 101) and watch in amazement as the students looked totally bored listening to selections like the Hallelujah Chorus or Beethoven's Ninth. There was more interest when the teacher put on a video of Horowitz because of the visual element.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Emerson, Lake and Palmer's version of Pictures of an Exhibition, a must!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I would often walk by the music teacher's room(he was very good and all sophomores had to take music 101) and watch in amazement as the students looked totally bored listening to selections like the Hallelujah Chorus or Beethoven's Ninth. There was more interest when the teacher put on a video of Horowitz because of the visual element.

That doesn't surprise me at all. To be honest I would feel pretty bored with the ubiquitous Hallelujah Chorus and you have to have an understanding of the music of Beethoven's time to grasp how revolutionary his 9th Symphony was (pity about the last movement though).

I was fortunate in the late 50s, early 60s that the music teacher at my school was a young composer who had recently graduated from the Royal Manchester College of Music when it was the centre of the 'Manchester School' (Birtwistle, Peter Maxwell Davis, Elgar Howarth, John Ogden, etc.) The music he played in class included Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes by Carl Maria von Weber (a rather tongue-in-cheek title), Bartok, Holst's Planets, Walton Overtures - even Stan Kenton performing Bob Graettinger's 'City of Glass'.

I think those and similar pieces are *much* more likely to hold the attention of young people than the Hallelujah Chorus!

By the way, after listening to some of the suggested clips, I think this thread is pretty sad (and very depressing). The one based on the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem was especially pointless - it had nothing of the terrifying dramatic impact of the movement it was based on. But then, similar things can be said of most of the stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission