2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Canonie #1531520 10/09/10 08:44 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
I sometimes wonder if people are not so much offended by the silence in 4'33 as offended by the lack of skill required to perform it. It's not clever - and that can be hard for some people to swallow.

It's funny you say that specifically. At one point I really disliked Cage (all I knew about him was this piece), for the same reason I disliked artists who put up a white canvas and call it art: Not that "it's not clever", but that it's *too* clever. There's no real work behind it: instead of an honest creation forged from honest materials, we get an abstract, clever idea. Not impressed: anyone can do that.

(Anyway, that's how I used to think. Since hearing more of Cage's works, I have revised my opinion.)

-Jason

wr #1531608 10/09/10 11:21 AM
H
hat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr
No representation of sound.

Or a representation of no sound?

Well, it's your file, so why don't you tell us, instead of playing games?

Actually, I was clarifying your definition of blank audio. It has nothing to do with my file.

Repertoire
John Cage: 4'33"
beet31425 #1531690 10/09/10 01:05 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
.....(Anyway, that's how I used to think. Since hearing more of Cage's works, I have revised my opinion.)

Yes. smile

Including, look at what kind of discussion it leads to, such as right here.

And it's not true that it doesn't take skill (or whatever we should call it) to 'perform' 4'33. It takes some understanding (however little, maybe) smile and I think there are a lot of people who might go on stage and wouldn't be able to 'bring it off,' in any of the ways that it might be 'brought off.'
But then again, those are probably people who wouldn't care to.

And IMO it is "clever" -- or some such. But I can easily see why some people would think it isn't.

hat #1531883 10/09/10 06:13 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr

Actually, I was clarifying your definition of blank audio. It has nothing to do with my file.

If it had nothing to do with your file, we wouldn't be talking about it, because the only reference to blank audio was to the blank audio in your file. If you know a better term for it, let us know. I'm not an audio engineer and I would imagine there probably is a standard term for "empty" time in a digital audio file, but I don't know what it is.

wr #1531897 10/09/10 06:26 PM
H
hat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr

If it had nothing to do with your file, we wouldn't be talking about it, because the only reference to blank audio was to the blank audio in your file. If you know a better term for it, let us know. I'm not an audio engineer and I would imagine there probably is a standard term for "empty" time in a digital audio file, but I don't know what it is.

Obviously it was brought up in the context of my file, but it would be circular logic to have a definition of blank audio based on my file.

Nonetheless, here is what I would like to know: let us assume, for the sake of argument (I'm not saying it was, but I'm also not saying it wasn't) that the particular recording of 4'33" which I have uploaded was recorded in an absolutely silent room with one observer watching from behind a glass door, making absolutely no sound herself. In summary, there is no sound. At all.

Does it count as a legitimate performance?

Repertoire
hat #1531942 10/09/10 07:42 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr

Obviously it was brought up in the context of my file, but it would be circular logic to have a definition of blank audio based on my file.

Nonetheless, here is what I would like to know: let us assume, for the sake of argument (I'm not saying it was, but I'm also not saying it wasn't) that the particular recording of 4'33" which I have uploaded was recorded in an absolutely silent room with one observer watching from behind a glass door, making absolutely no sound herself. In summary, there is no sound. At all.

Does it count as a legitimate performance?

As far as I know, it isn't possible to make a recording such as you describe, with no sound at all, so the question doesn't make real life sense to me.

But speaking in the abstract, if there was a pianist or other instrumentalist actually performing it, I can't see why it would not be a legitimate performance, regardless of recorded results. A recording wouldn't really have any bearing on whether the performance is legitimate; a performance doesn't require recording for validation.

wr #1532001 10/09/10 09:25 PM
H
hat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by wr
As far as I know, it isn't possible to make a recording such as you describe, with no sound at all, so the question doesn't make real life sense to me.
It wasn't supposed to. That's why I wrote "for the sake of argument."

Originally Posted by wr
But speaking in the abstract, if there was a pianist or other instrumentalist actually performing it, I can't see why it would not be a legitimate performance, regardless of recorded results. A recording wouldn't really have any bearing on whether the performance is legitimate; a performance doesn't require recording for validation.

Interesting; here:
Originally Posted by wr
I am curious in what sense you think the hat file is a performance. To me, it isn't one; it's just an empty audio file.
you seem to be discrediting any possibility (or legitimacy) of even our hypothetical performance, solely from the recording.

But, as you nonetheless admitted, a performance of 4'33" having one observer and producing no sound whatsoever is legitimate - just as legitimate, in fact, as an analogous performance of a piece that produced sound. Why, then, should this recording of silence be any different? In fact, let's say that you moved your ear (which you might have placed against the speaker while listening to my recorded performance, however hypothetical it may be) to the glass door from which the observer was listening: the end result would be exactly the same. Except, of course, your mind would be set at rest seeing a real live performer sitting at the bench doing absolutely nothing, rather than trying to figure out whether or not some clown on the piano forums actually recorded 4'33".

Last edited by hat; 10/10/10 12:04 AM. Reason: outplayed by wr

Repertoire
hat #1532009 10/09/10 09:47 PM

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

"Much ado about nothing"..... grin grin grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
hat #1532020 10/09/10 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by hat

Edited by hat (52 minutes 43 seconds ago)
Edit Reason: none in particular aside from creating the impression of a well-thought out reply

Post of the year! ha ha ha

hat #1532044 10/09/10 11:28 PM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I'd rather listen to 4'33" than a lot of other pieces or music that take up the same amount of time or more.

hat #1532060 10/09/10 11:56 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by hat
Originally Posted by wr
It wasn't supposed to. That's why I wrote "for the sake of argument."

Originally Posted by wr

Interesting; here:
Originally Posted by wr
I am curious in what sense you think the hat file is a performance. To me, it isn't one; it's just an empty audio file.
you seem to be discrediting any possibility (or legitimacy) of even our hypothetical performance, solely from the recording.

But, as you nonetheless admitted, a performance of 4'33" having one observer and producing no sound whatsoever is legitimate - just as legitimate, in fact, as an analogous performance of a piece that produced sound. Why, then, should this recording of silence be any different? In fact, let's say that you moved your ear (which you might have placed against the speaker while listening to my recorded performance, however hypothetical it may be) to the glass door from which the observer was listening: the end result would be except the same. Except, of course, your mind would be set at rest seeing a real live performer sitting at the bench doing absolutely nothing, rather than trying to figure out whether or not some clown on the piano forums actually recorded 4'33".

Um, your edit didn't quite achieve the desired result - "the end result would be except the same". smile

Since the hypothetical performance didn't occur, I am having trouble understanding the point of trying to draw yet more attenuated hypothetical ideas from it. But, just going along as a thought experiment - I don't think the end result would be the same. If I am separated from the performer by a barrier, that alters the situation for me as a listener to such a degree that I wouldn't say that I was in fact listening to a performance of the piece.

hat #1532175 10/10/10 08:40 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What an awesome thread.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Pogorelich. #1532176 10/10/10 08:50 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
What an awesome thread.

Yeah... Arguing over nothing.

(Hehe, what a pun!)

hat #1532180 10/10/10 08:58 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And all the people were afraid to tell the emperor that he was naked.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
Studio Joe #1532417 10/10/10 03:13 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have no doubt Hat is LHAO.

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
.....Arguing over nothing.

(Hehe, what a pun!)

.....and that's the 2nd greatest post of the year ha

hat #1532474 10/10/10 04:56 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
As a professional in the field of philosophy I actually find it in bad taste that some seem to think this topic is 'nothing' or in some way uninteresting.

This is the kind of question philosophers of art write about.

I doubt any of you appreciate hearing that your chosen field is a waste of time.

For those who are interested in studying this kind of question more formally, a good discussion of the question of what constitutes an object of art is contained in Richard Wollheim's book: Art and Its Objects.

That's not the same question as what a performance is, but one could imagine similar considerations, and a similar analytic method to what he uses there.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
charleslang #1532478 10/10/10 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by charleslang
As a professional in the field of philosophy I actually find it in bad taste that some seem to think this topic is 'nothing' or in some way uninteresting......

I agree completely with your post, except that I wouldn't put it as strongly. I don't think their view is in bad taste.....just narrow-minded.

Although actually I'm not sure which they would feel is worse. smile

charleslang #1532482 10/10/10 05:10 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
As a professional in the field of philosophy I actually find it in bad taste that some seem to think this topic is 'nothing' or in some way uninteresting.

This is the kind of question philosophers of art write about.

I doubt any of you appreciate hearing that your chosen field is a waste of time.

For those who are interested in studying this kind of question more formally, a good discussion of the question of what constitutes an object of art is contained in Richard Wollheim's book: Art and Its Objects.

That's not the same question as what a performance is, but one could imagine similar considerations, and a similar analytic method to what he uses there.

Purely out of curiosity, may i ask what your profession in the field of philosophy is?

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
charleslang #1532485 10/10/10 05:17 PM

Bad taste? A little disrespectful perhaps....but not bad taste. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission