2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
B
B
Originally Posted by mucci
...an Alternative would be the (not yet released) successor of the KAWAI CA111.

Where did you get that information?? Sounds too good to be true. A new CA-111 with the RM-3 Keyboard shocked

By the way, speaking of speaker systems. Do the speakers need some time to "run in" like headphones do??

C
C
Originally Posted by Belger1900
...an Alternative would be the (not yet released) successor of the KAWAI CA111.

Where did you get that information?? Sounds too good to be true. A new CA-111 with the RM-3 Keyboard shocked

Kawai James mentioned that he would _hope_ that there would be such instument once. Please do not read more into this than what's intended; he specifically stated that currenty there is no such product in the works; it's not in any way announced, maybe not even decided on, or planned at all.

It's just a logical next step, which he would love to see.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Csillag

This is exactly what I intended to say!
Sorry it was not my intention to cause any confusion.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
C
C
Originally Posted by Csillag

This is exactly what I intended to say!
Sorry it was not my intention to cause any confusion.

And it was not my intent to imply that your words caused confusion: I just wanted to be extra-careful not to give something into Kawai James's mouth which he did not say.

(He always insists that it's not his decision to announce new models; I would hate to see him reprimanded by his bosses based on rumors spreading on the forums, especially when he is always careful not to say more than allowed to. So we should also take care to quote him accurately.)

Last edited by Csillag; 10/04/10 11:17 AM.
M
M
...the Roland LX10F is double the price than a KAWAI CA63, and even 1.200 Euro more expensive than a Kawai CA93. You have to decide for yourself if this is worth it and you have the extra money available...

it really depends from where you live: over here the street prices of Kawai digitals are a lot higher (in MSRP % terms) than Roland's, it really depends from your local stores. Of course this is not applicable in Europe given Thomann etc.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
...the Roland LX10F is double the price than a KAWAI CA63, and even 1.200 Euro more expensive than a Kawai CA93. You have to decide for yourself if this is worth it and you have the extra money available... an Alternative would be the (not yet released) successor of the KAWAI CA111.

A competitively priced successor to the CA111 would be very interesting. It is a real cabinet compared to the LX-10F.

When comparing prices, you really need to compare actual quotes for the instruments. No one pays list price ( I hope !)

The best quotes I have for the two instruments are:

LX-10F 3300,
CA93 2960,

making the difference in price only 340 which is a small price to pay to have an instrument with a nice and realistic piano sound that doesn't require you to buy a PC and a software package like Pianoteq or Galaxy like we see from various of the owners of the Kawai instruments posting here which easily could add 500 euros or more to the price of the CA93.

Last edited by theJourney; 10/04/10 02:30 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hahaha, almost clever, you seem to be somewhat frustrated, the Journey. Is Kawai selling too many products in 2010 or what is it? It could be even more if they had proper marketing like Roland or Yamaha, right? grin wink

Seriously, whether you or me like it or not, these hardware products are quite close competitors in performance. An interesting addition, which you noticed before about the LX-10F, is: "By the way, it is interesting that Kraft is suggesting to bundle an expensive Yamaha sub-woofer with the piano...don't see any retailers of the Kawai CA93 suggesting that the instrument needs more support in the bass department."

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, to be honest I don't see any dealers other than this one US company (that loves to put together big bundles of stuff with high margins to try to make better deals) doing so.

I agree though that it is interesting. Not quite as interesting as the fact that almost no dealers around these parts are choosing to sell the Kawai instruments full stop, with or without an expensive sub-woofer...

By the way, what is the frequency response on your CA93 transducer driven soundboard compared to the Yamaha subwoofer? You might want to consider getting an HS10W yourself. smile

Have finally found a dealer within theoretical striking distance that has a HP-307, LX-10F, CA93, CA63 and K5ATX all on the floor for comparison. Now just to find the moment to spend a whole day journeying with my trusty Sennheisers to the German border...

Last edited by theJourney; 10/04/10 05:20 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
By the way, check out the new Tom & Sean TV show on the Kawai US site...Tom's southern articulation is pretty hard to follow and Sean looks like he must have really tied one on the night before at the local Irish Pub before the video was filmed, but they have joined the video generation.

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/CA_2010/ca93_demovid-overview-1.html

Can't wait to see what our German friends at Kawai Europe come up with as they in turn re-invent the wheel...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
By the way, check out the new Tom & Sean TV show on the Kawai US site...Tom's southern articulation is pretty hard to follow and Sean looks like he must have really tied one on the night before at the local Irish Pub before the video was filmed, but they have joined the video generation.

I think the baggy eyes are a genetic thing with Sean, and Tom's accent doesn't sound at too pronounced to me, though I spent much of my formative youth in the south, so I'm probably rather immune.

But I can't tell much difference between the three "different" pianos in the demo. And the harpsichord sounds kind of thin. And the strings sound kind of lame.

Not a lot to get excited over lately it seems.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
But I can't tell much difference between the three "different" pianos in the demo.

I noticed the same, quite a lame playback i.m.h.o. (and I'm not referring to the MP3 decoder); they could also use some custom settings in dual voice mode, demonstrating the Virtual Technician in action. wink whistle

Slightly better recordings are these ones (up to 1080p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJ8fmLVbUk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01K7KNse1dc&feature=related

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have finally found a dealer within theoretical striking distance that has a HP-307, LX-10F, CA93, CA63 and K5ATX all on the floor for comparison. Now just to find the moment to spend a whole day journeying with my trusty Sennheisers to the German border...

Well, that's nothing new. By the way, I had a talk with the owner of Vriese Music Palace (Doetinchem) somewhere back in February this year. He had visited the Winter NAMM and played the CA93 over there, which he described in his experience as very exciting and if he had to compare it with something, the AvantGrand came to mind. Send him my regards, will you?

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TADutchman

Well, that's nothing new. By the way, I had a talk with the owner of Vriese Music Palace (Doetinchem) somewhere back in February this year. He had visited the Winter NAMM and played the CA93 over there, which he described in his experience as very exciting and if he had to compare it with something, the AvantGrand came to mind. Send him my regards, will you?

thumb

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
...and if the store stocks Yamaha instruments, may I also suggest you take a very good look at the sales display models for both the 'NW' and 'RM3 Grand' actions.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
theJourney, I'm really looking forward to your review after the visit, although, considering your recent comments about KAWAI in this and other threads, it doesn't make me confident that the review will be unbiased... but let's see! wink

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Biased? Yeah, I suppose I am, Kawaien, er, um mucci.
After all: Kawai is the only brand of real piano I own:

A day doesn't go by that I don't play Kawai...

However, just because a manufacturer builds IMO one of the best and best value real acoustic pianos on the market, doesn't mean that they automatically also build the best or best value fake pianos. I hope they all (Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, Casio, et al) keep pushing the envelope and competing earnestly so that we all can enjoy the benefits of improved realism and utility!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Had a look at that AvantGrand, and while I admire the technology I'm not sure I see the point of it! I mean its the size of a grand and sounds like a grand, so why not get an acoustic grand! Unfortunately I can't hear how it sounds as our sound card has gone belly up-summat to do with the AC97 doo dah.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
However, just because a manufacturer builds IMO one of the best and best value real acoustic pianos on the market, doesn't mean that they automatically also build the best or best value fake pianos.

I never ever claimed that. Or what is your point? I don't get it.

I hope they all (Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, Casio, et al) keep pushing the envelope and competing earnestly so that we all can enjoy the benefits of improved realism and utility!

Any signs that this is not the case? You're the one that accuses (or at least denotes) namely KAWAI to do needless features (like wooden keys) just for marketing reasons, and, on the other side, purposely omit features from cheaper models, again just for marketing purposes (which is obviously something that all brands do).

Even though you claim you're playing on an acoustic KAWAI grand, I somehow have the feeling, that there must have been a special experience that keeps you so distant from KAWAI DPs. I have no idea what this might be... maybe some bad experience with specific salespersons in the past, or just the plain fact that there is no possibility to try and purchase a KAWAI DP nearby, or just the sheer joy of arguing and getting replies from alleged KAWAI fanboys, who knows. Anyway, as Kawai James has stated on several occasions (or at least similar to his statement) - it's always a pleasure to read your posts (and to be amused by them since most of them meet my expectations).

wink

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
However, just because a manufacturer builds IMO one of the best and best value real acoustic pianos on the market, doesn't mean that they automatically also build the best or best value fake pianos.

I never ever claimed that. Or what is your point? I don't get it.

I hope they all (Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, Casio, et al) keep pushing the envelope and competing earnestly so that we all can enjoy the benefits of improved realism and utility!

Any signs that this is not the case? You're the one that accuses (or at least denotes) namely KAWAI to do needless features (like wooden keys) just for marketing reasons, and, on the other side, purposely omit features from cheaper models, again just for marketing purposes (which is obviously something that all brands do).

Even though you claim you're playing on an acoustic KAWAI grand, I somehow have the feeling, that there must have been a special experience that keeps you so distant from KAWAI DPs. I have no idea what this might be... maybe some bad experience with specific salespersons in the past, or just the plain fact that there is no possibility to try and purchase a KAWAI DP nearby, or just the sheer joy of arguing and getting replies from alleged KAWAI fanboys, who knows. Anyway, as Kawai James has stated on several occasions (or at least similar to his statement) - it's always a pleasure to read your posts (and to be amused by them since most of them meet my expectations).

wink

Still have that aggressive, pro-Kawai chip on your shoulder, eh? You apparently can't imagine anyone having legitimate preferences or judgement that don't match your own, therefore accusing others of traumas or bias and making false claims and then making veiled personal attacks against them. Not very polite, if I might say so, and certainly a violation of the terms of service of pianoworld.

You really should try to keep an open mind, my friend, while at the same time not taking everything so personally. It is not acceptable to constantly make arguments against the man instead of the subject matter.

Speaking of subject matter, have you tried TADutchman's promising sounding virtual piano settings or are you still using pianoteq layers to get the sound you are looking for out of your new CA63?

Last edited by theJourney; 10/05/10 10:31 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't want to get involved in this ongoing quarrel, but I just imagine you guys looking like this, making it so much more enjoyable to watch!!! laugh wink

[Linked Image]

I must admit that a to-the-point answer to this question would be very interesting though (not really important):
Speaking of subject matter, have you tried TADutchman's promising sounding virtual piano settings or are you still using pianoteq layers to get the sound you are looking for out of your new CA63?

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission