2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I got the great pianists of the 20th century cd collection, which is full of great old recordings of greats like Horowitz, Rubinstein, Brendel, Richter, Sofronitsky (I'm a fan!), etc.

Since they are old recordings they are full of pop's, hiss and disgusting people coughing (I'm pretty sure you can hear one dying). But the music is phenomenal.

Now I would like to find some more new recordings, recorded with the better possibilities of today (basically higher quality audio). So I was wondering what are your current favorite pianists and cd's that you would recommend me?

I have listened to a lot of Kuerti and Schiff.

edit: Let me please clarify my question abit, what I meant was I have enough old recordings, like stated in my opening post (ofcourse Richter, Algerich and many more), but I'm looking for NEW recordings, without pops/coughs/tape hiss etc.

Last edited by Victor25; 10/05/10 05:19 PM.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
P
P
I like Martha Argerich's cds done by Deutsche Grammophon. Especially her recording of Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor op.54 conducted by Rostropovich

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Schiff is probably my favorite of the currently working pianists in certain repertoire, but the bulk of his recordings sound odd to me. I think the reason is the microphone placement/microphone combination. The sound of his newer recordings released on ECM is a definite improvement.

My favorite piano recording of the last 10 years is Leon Fleisher's The journey.

Piano instruction and performance
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am re-savoring young Fleisher's set of all 5 Beethoven concertos with George Szell.. Truly magnificent..
Also still collecting all of Richter's prodigious output.. Most recently his live CD from Sofia 1958 (most amazing "Pictures at an Exhibition") and his Diabelli varations also recorded live from a performance at the Pushkin Museum (part of the "December Nights' that he used to organize. This latter CD has a bonus Mozart sonata with Oleg Kagan with awesome violin playing..

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Andre Laplante's CD's of Ravel. Unbelievable. Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTYUyDjVCRU

Z
Z
I am a huge fan of Kissin's Pictures at an Exhibition, though I would not recommend all his performances.

"Practice makes perfect, but obsession makes better."
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
<<current fav...>>

Benjamin Grosvenor : This & That

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've been a huge fan of Yefim Bronfman for years now. I haven't listened to his Profofiev recordings but they are supposed to be excellent. I've seen him twice live and plan to go a third time when he comes back to Atlanta early next year. He never disappoints!

I've been listening to Aimard's Vingt Regards as well, and will hopefully be able to make it for his appearance in Atlanta next year.

Last edited by Minaku; 10/05/10 03:17 PM.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
R
R
Originally Posted by Minaku
I've been a huge fan of Yefim Bronfman for years now. I haven't listened to his Profofiev recordings but they are supposed to be excellent. I've seen him twice live and plan to go a third time when he comes back to Atlanta early next year. He never disappoints!

I've been listening to Aimard's Vingt Regards as well, and will hopefully be able to make it for his appearance in Atlanta next year.

his prokofiev sonatas are amazing! get on that smile you will surely not be disappointed!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I can highly recommend Howard Shelley's Rachmaninov cycle on Hyperion.It's one of the few things that have totally blown me away over the last ten years or so.
I'd also second the Kissin/Pictures recommendation.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minaku

His Prok sonatas are excellent. I have him with Rach 2 and 3 as well (the latter I heard live here last season and he blew the doors off the place!). I also highly recommend his recordings with Manny Ax (Brahms: Music for Two Pianos and Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances and Suites for Two Pianos).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I am re-savoring young Fleisher's set of all 5 Beethoven concertos with George Szell.. Truly magnificent..
Also still collecting all of Richter's prodigious output.. Most recently his live CD from Sofia 1958 (most amazing "Pictures at an Exhibition") and his Diabelli varations also recorded live from a performance at the Pushkin Museum (part of the "December Nights' that he used to organize. This latter CD has a bonus Mozart sonata with Oleg Kagan with awesome violin playing..

The Fleisher/Beethoven concerti are second to none! I've had the "Sofia" recording for a while now and I love it. Richter is amazing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Victor25,

How about David Fray on EMI Classics:

David Fray

schwammerl.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Let me please clarify my question abit, what I meant was I have enough old recordings, like stated in my opening post (ofcourse Richter, Algerich and many more), but I'm looking for NEW recordings, without pops/coughs/tape hiss etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely look into them!

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't call it my favorite recording, but what I've been listening to a lot lately is Zimerman/Boulez/Ravel G major. Spectacular recording. Does anyone have his recording of the Brahms sonatas/ballades? Seems it's no longer available and I long ago lent mine out and it seems to have found more comfortable lodgings elsewhere.

♪ ≠ $

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Ravel: Tharaud
Chabrier: Tharaud
Beethoven concerti: not the last Brendels, but the not so old, well recorded Christian Zacharias
Beethoven sonatas: Goode
Anything by Krystian Zimerman, Marc-André Hamelin
Chopin in general: impossible choice
Schubert sonatas: Michel Dalberto
Schumann: Youri Egorov

just ask for detailed pieces you would like to modernize in your discography, that would make things a bit easier, thanks for the Kempff! Marvellous!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stores
I've had the "Sofia" recording for a while now and I love it. Richter is amazing.

Which is precisely why I prefer the piano original to an orchestrated version. Nothing I've ever heard matches Richter, and IMO demonstrates that Mussorgsky had it right all along!

Jason
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Okay, I get it...you only want recommendations of stuff recorded digitally.

Anderszewski playing Szymanowski.

Queffélec playing Ravel.

The Bartok concertos played by Zimerman, Andsnes, and Grimaud with three different orchestras conducted by Boulez. Also, the Kocsis and the Schiff recordings of these concertos are both outstanding.

Nelson Freire playing the Brahms concertos (this got the Gramophone "Record of the Year" award a few years back).

I am currently in love with the Imogen Cooper live Schubert recordings. Just amazing. I am also enjoy g the Marc Andre Hamelin Alkan recordings.

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I also prefer the previous Brendel Beethoven Concerti to his most recent one. For the performances, not the recording quality - which was recorded when digital was possibly still in it's infancy (1981 or 82, I think) and sounds really cold and harsh (even in it's most recent re-issue).

I find it interesting that when re-issuing the 2nd Gould Goldberg's - recorded around the same time period - Sony chose to use the analog 'safety' copy and not the digital one.

Piano instruction and performance
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission