Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
102 registered members (7uturu, 36251, anotherscott, Animisha, ahoffmann, ando, AWilley, Arty Movie, 29 invisible), 949 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? #1522306
09/25/10 09:32 AM
09/25/10 09:32 AM
CT
M
MrHazelton Offline OP
MrHazelton  Offline OP
M

CT
I often thought that piano is one of the easiest instruments for a beginner, because of its linear layout, but one of the most difficult to master. Most instrument come with their challenges, like learning the fingering, how to blow throw the reeds/mouthpiece, ect. But most instruments are also only capable of playing one or two notes at a time. This is why I think that piano is more difficult to master. You play melody and bass all at once. Often times the melody and the bass are doing completely different things and both can get very complex. I used to play the trombone in school and I never practiced because I found it quite easy. Granted I would have been even better had I practiced regularly but considering most of my practice was done while playing with the band, I didn't do so bad. I certainly could not do the same with the piano. I have to practice the piano a lot just to be an okay player. Of course I know that there are very difficult instruments out there that are probably more difficult than the piano. I hear the harp is very difficult amd I imagine stringed instuments are very difficult to learn as well. This is why I say piano is one of the most difficult, not the most difficult What are your thoughts on this? Am I wrong?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522311
09/25/10 10:02 AM
09/25/10 10:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Piano has its challenges. It is not terribly hard to learn but when you say "master", any instrument is difficult if not impossible for many to master.

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522313
09/25/10 10:11 AM
09/25/10 10:11 AM
Atlanta, GA
Alan T. Offline
Alan T.  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Of course it is. Any good pianist can tell you this is the truth. smile Now when I was an all-state french horn player in high school, the french horn was the most difficult instrument. smile

Piano Tuner
Schimmel 174T
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: Alan T.] #1522320
09/25/10 10:27 AM
09/25/10 10:27 AM
CT
M
MrHazelton Offline OP
MrHazelton  Offline OP
M

CT
Originally Posted by Alan T.
Of course it is. Any good pianist can tell you this is the truth. smile Now when I was an all-state french horn player in high school, the french horn was the most difficult instrument. smile

LOL. Since you have experience with both instruments, which do you think is more difficult, the french horn or the piano?

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: Tubbie0075] #1522326
09/25/10 10:32 AM
09/25/10 10:32 AM
CT
M
MrHazelton Offline OP
MrHazelton  Offline OP
M

CT
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
Piano has its challenges. It is not terribly hard to learn but when you say "master", any instrument is difficult if not impossible for many to master.

Good point. I'll put it another way, is the learning curve for piano greater than most instruments or not?

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522331
09/25/10 10:40 AM
09/25/10 10:40 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
That reminds me of the line from Victor Borge, Three pedals! Who do they think I am?

Playing the piano can't be that difficult, there are so many who do it and do it very well.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522342
09/25/10 11:07 AM
09/25/10 11:07 AM
D
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member
david_a  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

My most important comment: This is all speculation. Nobody can prove anything, including me.

The majority of the bad pianists one hears are IMO musically incompetent or musically un-trained; most of them are fine at actually playing the piano.

If by "master" you mean "overcome the technical difficulties", then I think piano is a fairly easy instrument.

If you mean "become regarded as one of The Masters", usually that's for musical reasons.

Strings and brass I think are generally more difficult technically than piano. Saxophone in particular among the woodwinds I think is quite easy to master; flute probably less so.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522344
09/25/10 11:13 AM
09/25/10 11:13 AM
D
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member
david_a  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

The "learning curve" for piano is extremely gentle.

Get a group of nine five-year-olds who have never touched any musical instrument but know how to sing "Twinkle Twinkle". Give violins to three of them, trumpets to another three, and pianos to the last three. Ask each child to learn to play Twinkle Twinkle (successfully!) on their new instrument, then they may go home. Who will go home first?

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522387
09/25/10 12:31 PM
09/25/10 12:31 PM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland
I have taken at least a semi-serious stab at learning: the drums, both acoustic and electric guitar, the bass, the piano, 'cello (mind the apostrophe) and recorder. I won't try to order them but the cello is the hardest of the group to get even to mediocrity on. Conventional wisdom among accomplished cellists is that 5 years of dedicated study is necessary just to achieve something approaching proficiency. The bow hold, the bow and string interface, the fact that you get NO help from the instrument for intonation and the fact that its layout is only semi-linear are all big challenges to overcome and manipulate to make a musical sound.

While I won't say it's harder or easier than the piano, the recorder, when played somewhat seriously is a much harder instrument than many people suppose. Because it's somewhat primitive compared to modern woodwinds, proper intonation (as most of us have heard) is challenging. On piano, intonation is not an issue if our tuners have done their jobs. Also a piano responds to a very wide range of dynamic touches. It's easy to discern how much touch is need to get loud, get soft or something in-between. On a recorder, or many other woodwinds, the difference between a musical line and brutishness is found in a very small range of tongue moves and pressure. It takes a long time and a lot of practice to gain control of these fine motor skills. While we recorder players rely on playing with others to hear polyphony, the notes are not in a straight line and many notes have second fingerings to create slurs or trills and those must be memorized as well.

If any instrument was easy to master, there would be a master on every block. I have never found that to be true.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522394
09/25/10 12:46 PM
09/25/10 12:46 PM
Kansas
apple* Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
apple*  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Kansas
there is an extraordinary body of work composed for the piano, by composers of varying degrees of difficulty. You can't really say that about any other instrument... (contributing to it's difficulty to master).

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: david_a] #1522421
09/25/10 01:33 PM
09/25/10 01:33 PM
CT
M
MrHazelton Offline OP
MrHazelton  Offline OP
M

CT
Originally Posted by david_a
The "learning curve" for piano is extremely gentle.

Get a group of nine five-year-olds who have never touched any musical instrument but know how to sing "Twinkle Twinkle". Give violins to three of them, trumpets to another three, and pianos to the last three. Ask each child to learn to play Twinkle Twinkle (successfully!) on their new instrument, then they may go home. Who will go home first?

I agree that piano is easier to play during the beginning stages. I did mention that in my OP. One thing I found easier about playing trombone as a teenager was that the sheet music was only one staff and one note played at a time. That's all you can do with an instrument like the trombone, one note at a time. It was easy enough that I could play the music the first time I saw it. I wish I could do that (well) with the piano. I think the trumpet might be kind of like the trombone in that it is a one note at a time instrument. You do need to learn how to properly blow into the instrument and which valves to push for a given note but I had to learn the same for the trombone. Once I had that down, it was a piece of cake. Granted there was room for improvement in my trombone playing but I've been playing piano longer than I played trombone and there is a lot more room for improvement with my piano skills. So perhaps the learning curve for a brass instrument is steeper than the piano during the beginning stages but I think the piano becomes more difficult with time...assuming your trying to advance with more complicated music. Perhaps I’m wrong, which is why I brought the topic up in the first place. I'm sure string instruments such as the violin (one of my favorite instruments, besides the piano of course) are significantly more difficult and must have a steep learning curve.

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522452
09/25/10 02:43 PM
09/25/10 02:43 PM
R
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rank Piano Amateur  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

I think that the piano is relatively easy to play in such a way that the audience will be able to bear, primarily because when you play an "a" that is what you get. But I think that any instrument is difficult to master, if mastery is defined as being close to a professional standard.

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522457
09/25/10 02:55 PM
09/25/10 02:55 PM
The Netherlands
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Victor25  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands
I totally disagree with it actually. Before a beginner can play something that sounds decent on a piano they are most of the time at least 6-12 months away (and I say something decent, not twinkle little star). But if I teach beginners guitar, I can get them to sound decent within a month!

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522632
09/25/10 07:54 PM
09/25/10 07:54 PM
N
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member
nitekatt2008z  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

Although it can be debated as to how to determine if a musical instrument can be "mastered" by a student who has the talent, passion and energy to spend long hours of practice, I would say the piano would be an easier instrument for a beginner to pursue. The design of the keyboard has stayed the same for several hundred years, so the 12 notes between each octave on an 88 note keyboard only change by pitch and frequency.

We have heard numerous kids crank out Chopsticks or Heart and Soul by ear on the piano, but it is rare for someone to pick up a violin, guitar or sax and just play the same tune. Of course one reason for this is that you can "see" and hear the notes in tune, if the piano is in fact tuned to 440 or near in relative pitch.

But on the other hand, as mentioned here, the piano is designed for the left and right hand to play treble and bass clef, sometimes separately or simultaneously. Other instruments like guitar deal with treble clef. Reading and sight reading piano music is a skill that takes a lot of work and many good pianists are not necessarily good sight readers. Some learn to play piano just by ear and cannot read notation. But I think that a student misses out on playing a variety of music and developing a good repertoire if they don't learn how to read music.

If we asked a great pianist like Horowitz, Rubinstein, Van Cliburn, Richter, Glenn Gould, if they have "mastered" the piano, they would probably say they haven't, because there is always some difficult new piece to practice and learn. Even as talented as these pianists were, they still had to put in the unlimited hours of practice it took to read through, memorize and perform each selection of music in order to play it at the highest performance level.

Getting a pleasing tone on violin or sax or even trumpet can take awhile, but developing good touch and technique on piano may not take as long because the notes played are heard instantly and can be modified by the three pedals.

Most all of the music of the world that has ever been composed and played is stored in the piano, plus all the music that will be coming forth in the future.

But I could say if someone could say they mastered the piano, they could play and sightread about any piece instantly, play for instance any fugue or prelude from Bach's WTC Bk 1 instantly in all 12 keys, play pieces with independent time signatures such as left hand in 7/4 and right hand in 5/4 in perfect time and tempo, play any standard tune in any of the 12 keys transposed instantly, improvise on any chord progression and numerous other techniques that could go on into eternity. Having absolute pitch would be an asset, but good ears with relative pitch is fine too. BTW, I certainly cannot perform any of these "mastered" techniques, so I am no master of the piano or keyboard, although I have been playing professionally for over 25 years and went to music school.

The goal of reaching virtuosity on any instrument is attainable and can be achieved by students with the motivation and talent to work at it. And the many musicians that inspire and motivate us all to keep practicing and learning proves it as a fact of influence.

katt

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522679
09/25/10 08:43 PM
09/25/10 08:43 PM
S
sportsdude2060 Offline
sportsdude2060  Offline
S

The answer to this question is different for everyone, depending on that person's strengths and weaknesses. I personally was a natural at the piano; however, guitar was a complete train wreck (after 4 months, I could barely play time of your life) Whereas, one of my friends was able to play van halen, dream theater, and buckethead after only 2 years on guitar, but piano lessons got him nowhere (and yes, we had the same teachers for each).
Each instrument exercises slightly disparate faculties and involves different talents.
That being said, most people find french horn to be the hardest.

Last edited by sportsdude2060; 09/25/10 08:46 PM.
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: sportsdude2060] #1522694
09/25/10 09:02 PM
09/25/10 09:02 PM
CT
M
MrHazelton Offline OP
MrHazelton  Offline OP
M

CT
Originally Posted by sportsdude2060
The answer to this question is different for everyone, depending on that person's strengths and weaknesses. I personally was a natural at the piano; however, guitar was a complete train wreck (after 4 months, I could barely play time of your life) Whereas, one of my friends was able to play van halen, dream theater, and buckethead after only 2 years on guitar, but piano lessons got him nowhere (and yes, we had the same teachers for each).
Each instrument exercises slightly disparate faculties and involves different talents.
That being said, most people find french horn to be the hardest.

Funny you should say that. When I first started playing the piano, I also dabbled with the guitar, because that's what my friends where doing. I'm like your friend, I was picking up the guitar faster than the piano. In the end I wanted to play the piano more and decided I didn't have the time to learn both instruments well. I barely have the time to learn one. So I choose the piano and haven't looked back. One of the things I envy most about the guitar, and a lot of other instruments, is there portability. I wish I could carry my piano around and play it at any opportunity I had.

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522778
09/25/10 11:19 PM
09/25/10 11:19 PM
West central Florida
MonticelloDreams Offline
MonticelloDreams  Offline

West central Florida
I think each person has a different aptitude. I played Clarinet, Alto sax & oboe in High School. Not very hard to learn. I do think the one staff has a lot to do with it-just one note at a time. smile I have been trying to play the piano on and off my entire life. Want to learn Cello, too (someday when I have time) But then I think, so many people can play piano, is it that hard? It all goes back to each persons individual ability as well as perseverance. For me, it is hard to play well for my son's it comes easy...go figure

Music is my Sanctuary
2010 Mason & Hamlin A Monticello
2001 Baldwin R1
Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522789
09/25/10 11:30 PM
09/25/10 11:30 PM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

San Jose, CA
One of the most difficult instruments to master? Yeah--- for me. Maybe not so much for someone else. My problem is, I love it and I can't help myself.

If it ended with "Twinkle Twinkle" that would be one thing. Matter of fact, that was in one of my primers as a young piano student. But these great composers keep lowering the limbo bar. I have, basically, no hope of ever being a fraction as good.

However, I was never able to get so much as a sound out of a flute... so maybe that is a harder instrument.

Clef

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1522948
09/26/10 08:58 AM
09/26/10 08:58 AM
Canberra, Australia
D
danz Offline
danz  Offline
D

Canberra, Australia
What is 'difficult' and what is 'mastery'. I played the flute in youth orchestras, but don't think I ever 'mastered' it, dabbled with strings, and now play the tenor trombone a bit. I learned trombone playing concert band music, bass clef at concert pitch. I recently tried playing with an English style brass band... their trombone music is written in the treble clef and the trom is treated as a B flat transposing instrument. Any note I played right was a complete fluke! I felt like a total beginner again.

Glad I have a piano, I can make the black dots sound like music, but don't really think I have ever 'mastered' a piece, but I do so much enjoy playing.

Danz

Re: Is piano one of the most difficult instruments to master? [Re: MrHazelton] #1523032
09/26/10 12:42 PM
09/26/10 12:42 PM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
I could got of got a Phd in something during the time I've put in to be a grade 3 hack...for me it is truly difficult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio CDP-S100, CDP-S150, CDP-S350
by kj85. 05/23/19 07:42 AM
Pianoteq- system requirements
by Nordomus. 05/23/19 12:38 AM
Exercise Idea
by KenBakerMN. 05/22/19 12:48 PM
Used piano Yamaha YDP 223: $400 worth it?
by tiger015. 05/22/19 12:45 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,112
Posts2,830,639
Members93,387
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission