2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
From http://antiquepianoshop.com:

[Linked Image]

Kees

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ha! You call that a piano? *This* is a piano:
http://www.klavins-pianos.com/index_en.htm

370cm = 12.1 feet!

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is smart!

Instead of going up, long strings go down and a lot of problems are avoided: tuning, weight of keys, inertia of very long stickers, etc.

Kees,

This tuner has a long... long right arm!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cy,

Very interesting in fact. A new concept in piano design!

I am intrigued. In model 408, there are two hitch pins for each trichord, the third string seems to be not attached to a hitch pin, picture number 12.

[Linked Image]

And bichords seem to have only one hitch pin. Is there a loop in the wound string?

Here is the link where you can zoom in the image 408 Harp

Last edited by Gadzar; 09/19/10 09:12 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It seems to be no wound strings as they go all the way to the hitch pins, through bridge pins.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think that is a computer-generated picture of the concept piano.

The Klavins people have posted on this board in the past.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Would it not be an option to use a type of tracker action, i.e. using traction rather than compression to transfer key movement to the wippens? If organ builders could use this technique for centuries, why not piano builders?

To change the direction of movement, all you'd need is a pivoted rocker. You could mount a rail with rockers where the action (or stickers) normally sit, directly on the key capstans. If the capstan pushes the back end of the rocker up, the front end moves down. Then mount the action in the top of the piano, and directly underneath it, install a similar set of rockers. By having to transfer only tension (pull), not compression (push), the trackers can be made much lighter than stickers. Even a strong cord (finely braided nylon, silk, carbon fiber, or good old wire etc.) would probably do. Anything that's not too elastic.

When the wippen returns to rest position, it pushes the back end of the the upper rocker down. This would pull on the tracker, moving the front end of the lower rocker upward, in turn pushing the capstan down, i.e. the key-top up.

Just an idea that came to my mind, having seen the insides of numerous organs...

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
C
C
Hi wayne,
The piano is designed to go into upper class homes with large rooms and cathedral ceilings. These homes have large front doors, double doors etc. In luxurious condos where doors could be a problem, I made the cabinet easy to dismantle. The keybed,legs all come apart so that the moving size of the piano(when on it's side)is 7'x5'x 16".

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting on this thread Chris!

I just sent out the email invite to the Puget Sound Chapter and the Seattle Chapter of PTG for the October 23rd Field trip.

If anyone on Pianoworld is interested in attending let me know. Chris has only room for 30 visitors, so you have to RSVP.

Should be a lot of fun...!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Cy Shuster
Ha! You call that a piano? *This* is a piano:
http://www.klavins-pianos.com/index_en.htm

370cm = 12.1 feet!

--Cy--

While I am very interested to know how well the piano in question sounds to a critical audience, I cannot help but say that the computer generated images of a grand piano look to me more like a sailboat than a piano!

How would you move the vertical piano that is depicted into any space? I notice the guard rails that would keep someone from falling off the balcony, lol.

In retrospect, I could imagine tuning the piano in question with an extension lever and an extra long tip, me being 6 feet tall but still, the control of the tuning pin and string would still be questionable.

I am waiting to hear how good this piano actually sounds! Please do tell!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
The builder is planning on displaying the finished product at WestPac this March near San Francisco!

You should come check it out!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
C
C
Yes, the action has a sticker assist spring. Before i built the piano i had made an action model. And discovered,just like you said, that the keys would have to be heavily weighted. Just like two elephants on a see saw. So my next thought was to have a spring hold up most of the weight of the action. And it worked beautifuly. The first reaction is to think the action will feel springy, but it doesn't because the action is now only partially loaded. So my keys have zero weights, and the action is light and fast. No space age materials. And downweight is adjusted by bending the spring, in fact i can quickly adjust the downweight to the customers wants.
As far as feeling like a grand i assure you it does. The catcher has a couterweight which was necessary due to gravity, the one small advantage a grand has. But again, the partially loaded spring makes up for that.

C
C
Hi Ryan, I will be checking on this forum periodically, so if anyone has any questions i will be glad to answer them. Thanks

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chris A.C.

As far as feeling like a grand i assure you it does. The catcher has a couterweight which was necessary due to gravity, the one small advantage a grand has. But again, the partially loaded spring makes up for that.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't quite understand the above.

Are you saying that instead of feeling the weight of the hammer at the key, you feel the weight of this counterweight instead? And I don’t know whether the counterweight is on the catcher or counterweights the catcher. Do you have a picture?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
C
C
Hey jeff,
The hammer assembly is not much different than a regular upright. In my piano the catcher shank is longer and the catcher itself is a little bigger with a lead weight in the catcher. The catcher shank is angled so that the catcher (with lead weight) is below the flange pin line acting as a counter weight of the hammer.

C
C
Originally Posted by RonTuner
So it's 7'2"... I might be able to reach the tuning pins - (I'm 6'4") how is a tech supposed to reach the keyboard and the pins at the same time?

Ron Koval
chicagoland
Hi Ron, I had to think about this problem before I designed the piano. There are two ways to tune the mammoth piano. 1. One person with an etd and a special made striker. I have performed coarse tunings this way just fine. 2. With two people, a tuner and an assistant, much like pipe organs. This method we are going to do for the first time in a couple of weeks let you know how it goes.

C
C
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
It is an interesting concept. I always like the extreme pianos such as the Borgoto doppio piano and Adrian Mann's 19 foot grand. I will be interested to read Del's opinion of it. Having said that, I wonder about two things: what would the touch be like? How could it be anything but extremely heavy? It may have a great and deep tone but who would want to play a piano with extremely heavy touch weight? What person with the ability to pay for such a piano would even want such a thing in their home? Yes, the doors and other passage ways would have to be extra large to get it in. The whole concept of a vertical is that it takes up a minimum of floor space. What person who could afford to have that and get it into the living space would want to put it against some wall?

The other observation I have is that it would be all but impossible to tune it with the kind of precision that is expected of pianos today. I often see suggestions about how to tune a square grand for example, that say to remove the dampers, go to the rear and pluck the strings. How does a modern ETD calculate a program for that kind of scale? How to you settle a string and pin when all you can do is pluck the string? The answer is that the ETD can't possibly produce an accurate tuning and even if it could, you can't possibly settle the pin and string. If you are somebody that believes that only the most equal of temperament with the purest of octaves produces the best sound, there is no way that could ever happen on a square grand either tuned by plucking or with an extension lever.

Now, I can see that this piano may have a well designed scale, such as any 9 foot concert grand would have. But tuning a 9 foot grand to broadcast quality requires highly developed technique. Many will rightly argue than an ETD calculated program can only be approximate. An ETD can be useful if aurally verified and custom corrected so that in the end, each unison holds steadily and solidly to each pitch that was determined for each note. That's where we hear the true magic that a fine piano can produce.

The logistics of doing that with this piano are a nightmare! I have often thought that one must have spent an entire day trying to tune the square grands of yesteryear entirely by ear. Even then, the results would have been quite substandard to what we expect today. So, OK, two people go in, one on a step ladder, the other plays the keys. An ETD calculates a program which is fairly good because the scale design is good. There is still going to be a large disconnect between what is normally the left hand playing the keys and the right hand manipulating the tuning lever. OK, so one person does it with a super long extension lever. How precise could that be? What about aural verification and customizing the ETD program? What about an entirely aural tuning?

I'm afraid that what will be heard at the unveiling of this piano will be a very rough and unpleasantly tuned piano. It won't be a matter of aural vs. electronic, ET vs. non-ET, how much or how little stretch or whether the unisons were tuned as purely as possible or whether, as some say they like it, a deliberate "color" placed in the unisons. I just don't see how the results will ever be anything other than "all over the place" and that music from this piano could ever be found to be enjoyable. Maybe as a one or two day project between two expert technicians each time, perhaps.

But what serious musician or music lover would go for that? Yes, there are people with money to spend on eccentric things. Often, however, somebody who would purchase something like this is the same person who would balk at what it costs to actually maintain it. If somebody wants to spend a quarter million on a piano, I would suggest a Ravenscroft.
Ouch! Bill,
the skeptisism was a..... something to behold. In one fell swoop you mention what pianos are better, everything imagined wrong with mine, and you haven't seen, heard or played mine yet. I don't know what to say.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chris A.C.
Hey jeff,
The hammer assembly is not much different than a regular upright. In my piano the catcher shank is longer and the catcher itself is a little bigger with a lead weight in the catcher. The catcher shank is angled so that the catcher (with lead weight) is below the flange pin line acting as a counter weight of the hammer.

Then does the weight in the catcher takes place of the hammer return spring? Did the catcher need to be longer anyway for where the backcheck was mounted on the whippen? There does not seem to be a front scale (not that that is a bad thing...) I tuned an old Briggs upright that had a V-bar and Capo bar arrangement that had a true front scale.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Chris, don't be discouraged by negative comments. After all, whenever someone tries to make something out of the ordinary, there are a lot of people to say it can't or shouldn't be done.

I would like to know more about the piano's plate. How did you make it (material, cutting, welding etc.)?

Calin

The Bechstein piano discussion group: https://groups.yahoo.com/Bechstein
The historical Schweighofer piano site: http://schweighofer.tripod.com/
Calin #1520711 09/22/10 07:22 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by Calin
Chris, don't be discouraged by negative comments. After all, whenever someone tries to make something out of the ordinary, there are a lot of people to say it can't or shouldn't be done.

I would like to know more about the piano's plate. How did you make it (material, cutting, welding etc.)?
Thanks for the kind words. No worries, full steam ahead. The plate is 1/2" thick steel and it is laser cut. So obviously, i just emailed my machine shop of choice and they made everything to my specs. Interestingly, i had to make a miniture wood model so that they had a good grasp of what i wanted. I went to their shop when all the parts were made and decided on the final locations for all the struts to be welded. Warpage was a big concern with all that welding, but with care, everything went smoothly. The little wooden model......is now a nice wall ornament.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission