2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A

After spending the day with the Yamaha CP50, here's a quick review.

the negatives ..

1. The graded action is very heavy in the lower range
2. Keys have a very plastic feel
3. USB socket is located on the back of the unit next to the power cord
4. Damper returns to default settings every time unit is powered off

.. and positives

1. Great sampling of Yamaha's CF3 concert grand
2. Lots of sustain
3. Nice variety of piano voices
4. Lots of ways to customize piano voices to suit your taste
5. Records in WAV format

To sum up ..

The negatives are very minor and the positives really do outweigh the little inconveniences I described. I would suggest, however, that if you are used to a light feel and play for long periods you may want to consider the CP5. It's next up in the CP line so it costs more but it has a much lighter action.

Keep in mind though that the CP5's keys are not graded. They do have a nice texture though and feel very good to the touch. The keys are also made of real wood, with a plastic overlay. (I don"t think this makes much of a difference and is more of a selling point.) With the CP5 you also get a front loading USB socket. A very nice feature for someone who does lots of recording.

back to the CP50

If you're looking for portability/durability the CP50 is hard to beat. It's compact and relatively light at around 45 lbs. It also has a more solid (metal) construction than previous models such as the CP33 which had an all plastic casing.

one final note ..

One of the best features of the CP line (CP50, CP5, CP1) is the ability to record in WAV format. It is an indispensable feature. It's literally only a matter of seconds from keyboard to iPod, iTunes, editing software, CD, etc.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the review - always interesting to read others' thoughts.

By the way, is there any reason why you omitted the first line from your initial post in the piano forum?

Regarding the criticisms:

4. Damper returns to default settings every time unit is powered off

I expect these settings can be stored to one of the preset memories. What kind of adjustments can be made to the CP50's functionality, just out of interest?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
OP Offline
A
James,

The reason I eliminated that line was because on re-reading the post I decided that it was of little value to the reader to know that I owned the instrument, though I could be wrong about that. You may have noticed other slight changes in the text. They were purely arbitrary.

Preset memories?

What a novel idea! (I guess you can tell this is the first time I've owned one of these things. lol) I'll have to go to the PDF and look it up.

As far as adjustments to the functionality, parameters can be adjusted for most functions. Value can be increased/decreased with one of three knobs under the display. It's actually set up very conveniently. These knobs (there are 10 in total) were one of the features which drew me away from the ES6, which is all push-button.

Aurelius5, thanks for clarifying.

As far as adjustments to the functionality, parameters can be adjusted for most functions.

I was particularly interested in the damper pedal settings - what kind of adjustments can be made here?

These knobs (there are 10 in total) were one of the features which drew me away from the ES6, which is all push-button.

Yes, the ES6 (like the Yamaha P155) is a rather difference animal to the CP50. I think a closer comparison would be the MP5/MP6.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
OP Offline
A
I'm a little sketchy on the terminology but I think it has to do with release or decay.. or something to that effect.

The three damper settings are abbreviated on the display as "Rel", "Dmpr" and "Time"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission