2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
This question probably applies more to permanent type installations but I always mount electrical outlets on the underside of my grand piano.

In the case of my AvantGrand, I have the piano itself, the light that's mounted on the music rack and a small fan all plugged into an electrical outlet. When I sit down to practice I simply hit the switch on the outlet and everything comes on.

I just mounted an additional outlet on the other side of the piano and will use that for my wife's laptop. All the cables underneath the key bed are neatly arranged using 'cable management' things that you can buy from RadioShack.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Trivial things:

For the Kawai the most I've done so far is add a second hook in the centre under the DP so that I can hook the trailing headphone cable centrally since the plug/socket is on the extreme left.

For the Casio I made 3 shaped shims out of plastic (half the thickness or more of a credit card) to slip between 3 pairs of keys that occasionally clicked. Having acquired the Kawai and since I now use the Casio less I've now removed the shims.

Most manufacturers will tell you that any modifications to their products will instantly void the warranty. (some are a bit more relaxed about it, depending on what was done and the particular circumstances of the warranty claim) Most will also refuse to perform or advise on any modifications.

Adrian Thomas
Adrian Thomas Music Services
Service Engineer - Hybrid Pianos & Strings
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Adrian, did you read my initial post here?

To change the subject, you call yourself a service engineer, is that the same as a repairman?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I have a gerbil in a small treadmill nailed through the top of my Privia (the treadmill, not the gerbil) to remind me of the futility of existence. Will this void my warranty?

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Is the gerbil connected to the USB port?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Yes, is that bad? I'm getting some latency, but I thought that was due to a lack of fiber in his diet.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hook him up to a generator.

Gerbils are a great source of free electricity.

Rob
Originally Posted by voxpops
I have a gerbil in a small treadmill nailed through the top of my Privia (the treadmill, not the gerbil) to remind me of the futility of existence. Will this void my warranty?

If the nails went through the main circuit board, I suspect it might.

Adrian Thomas
Adrian Thomas Music Services
Service Engineer - Hybrid Pianos & Strings
Here's my entry into the modification universe.

I had started to play in rock bands by the time Hohner came out with their Clavinet (It's an electric version, with a guitar type pickup under the strings). I used it with a distortion effect to have the same kind of sonic texture as a guitar through a loud amp. For lots of people, it's most known for being the instrument on Stevie Wonder's Superstion; here's a YouTube link, with theClavinet coming in at 0:08.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OJsYwLs7yE
BTW, a recent web article dissects the 8! tracks of clavinet on this tune.
Anyway, back to the topic. Clavinets have a keyboard range of 5 octaves, F1 to e3, here's a pic:
http://www.gti.net/junebug/clavinet/fig1.jpg
You may know that rock bands, especially beginning ones, tend to play in E and A a lot, because that's the keys that suit a guitar's open strings. This left me frustrated because I couldn't hit the low E. So, my modification as follows:

I took all the keys off their mountings. I then reassembled them with the former highest E on the mounting previously belonging to the low F. This required cutting a notch in the left cheek block, and also means that the highest note is now a D#/Eb. I then tuned all the notes 1/2 step down. It left me with a scarred instrument, BUT I could happily play a solid low E!
I loaned the instrument to a friend, moved out of the area, lost track of the friend. My modified Clavinet (I believe the serial # is 741539) is probably still somewhere in the San Francisco Bay area; if you hear of it let me know!

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
Better yet, take a picture and post it, or send it to me!

Terry@cincyrockers.com
Latency in gerbil-driven ports can often be decreased by installing a feline-motivational-adrenaline-activator behind the gerbil. In other words, put a cat in a cage behind the gerbil to motivate the gerbil to run faster.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
elecmuse3, wow, now *that's* what I call a 'mod'!

Hardware transpose, lol! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
I would like to know whether a Kawaii Digital CP205 can be modified to include more voices and sounds? I would prefer not to buy a new digital. The piano is a 2004 and works well, and there is no warranty - so I don't have to worry about voiding it. I would to know from a technician who has actually done this sucessfully.

Many thanks,
Guy

Hello Guy,

As with most digital pianos, the CP205 cannot be modified to include additional voices/sounds. However, using the instrument's MIDI capabilities and Line-In connectivity, it is certainly possible to use the CP's keyboards to play sounds stored on a computer (i.e. a 'virtual' instrument) or another MIDI device such as an expander module.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I modified one Headphone outlet, so it doesnt switch off the speakers.
I use it for my MP3 recorder, thats more comfortable, because its accessible from the front.
(Piano manufactures should do this too, thats a win-win situation and even cheaper in production)

I opened the piano and connected a plug (with overvoltage and shortage protection) to the control voltage of the sustain pedal. This plug fits into the expression pedal connector, so I can alternatively and optionally use the sustain as expression pedal.

From beginning on, the half pedal functionality was far too sensitive. The whole voltage range of the Pedal was 0-3 V, but the difference between Sustain 0 and Sustain 127 was 1.5 to 2 Volts. This means the half pedal functionality was there, but it was impossible to really use it.
So I soldered a resistor network to the sustain input that stretched the range and adjusted the offset for better usability.

I made a delay circuit that blocks the write gate of the floppy for 2 seconds after power on. So the piano does not longer destroy disks that are inserted on power on.

I eased the keyboard action and made the velocity sensors adjustable and debounced the contacts, so I was able to adjust the action for better repetition. Weigt and velocity response are unchanged.

I cannot place a Gerbil on the piano.
I fear he wouldnt like my playing. Must practice more....

Peter

Last edited by hpeterh; 03/04/11 07:49 AM.

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

B
B
I installed a music stand (given free by the dealer when I pointed out it was missing from the DP) on my V-Piano, but strictly speaking, it's not really an installation, because the stand's legs are on the floor though the music rest itself protrudes over the slab of the V-Piano, so that I can reach the music easily. I also installed lots of music scores on either side of the music rest, but again they're not really installations, just props for my convenience.

A gerbil wouldn't enjoy sitting on my V-Piano, because I use headphones, so all it will get is the thudding of silent keys but no music to help it relax. Though I don't actually play relaxing music (my favorite musical terms are 'allegro con fuoco' and 'furioso'), so maybe that's to its advantage.

If music be the food of love, play on!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission