2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1513848 09/12/10 02:53 PM
N
nwpiano Offline OP
OP Offline
N
So I usually post in the piano forum, but thought I would share that I recently acquired a Clough & Warren chapel organ with 21 stops, and from my research possibly 400 or more reeds. I am going to have it fully restored, and will share more when I get it back. I know that a Reed Organ can never compare to a pipe organ, but from many I have gotten the response that such instruments are worthy of nothing but the dump. Are there any on this forum who appreciate these instruments and see them as something worthy of restoration? Or for that matter an important part of American history? If there are any Reed organ enthusiasts out there let me know. Perhaps we could start a Reed Organ forum on PianoWorld!

Last edited by nwpiano; 09/12/10 02:54 PM.

Craig
2010 Young Chang YP-208 (Church)
Rebuilt 1919 6'2" Conover 88 (Home)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I appreciate a fine old reed organ for sure!!!!

Just yesterday I was at the house of a local fan/car collector, during a regional- Antique Fan collectors association- meet.

He had a smaller, 10 stop -or+ a few, reed organ. Cant recall the name. But it was quite nice. Everything played and for being small it still has a very robust sound.

Now a 21 stop one will probably knock you off the bench with power! FUN! Wow!

Reed organs may not be a pipe organ, but they will BEAT AN ELECTRONIC ORGAN ANY DAY!

WHY??

because they have REAL air... REAL sound. Digital/electric organs are synthesized, and speakerized (ha) Pump organs are pure real sounds with real modulations in the air.

I nearly bought an Etsey FULL sized reed organ. 2 manuals, 61 note keyboards, and a 30 note pedalboard. Hand crank and blower options. Fantastic looking instrument at only $800. Wish I did buy it!
Is yours foot operated or electric blower?

Congrats. It will be one heck of a fine instrument when restored.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
N
nwpiano Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The organ was designed to be played with either foot pumping or cranking via a handle. I would like to have a blower installed, and am looking into this now. However, I still want the ability to pump manually. Using your feet to control the amount of wind in the bellows allows you to do some pretty cool stuff dynamically, only adding to the reed organs musical abilities over digitized organs.

Craig
2010 Young Chang YP-208 (Church)
Rebuilt 1919 6'2" Conover 88 (Home)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes. having hand pumped bellows in any organ really adds to the real charming sound.

You should have the option to retrofit both on pump organs. Having a blower can be linked to the pedals, but when off the pedals still function as they should.

My local Cathedral's 2003 Martin Pasi pipe organ can be pumped manually and also has a blower.. In the bellows room there are 4 step on levers that go down quite a bit. You stand on a platform and hold onto the bar, and pump a lever as they come up. Great fun and makes a blooming sound effect with the organ.

Really authentic when using the dual temp feature of the organ (one of only 3 organs to ever be built that way). You can play bach in the Quarter Comma Meantone temperament, and have it hand pumped for maximum authenticity!

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission