2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 339 of 425 1 2 337 338 339 340 341 424 425
S
S
Elene, the opening night was fantastic and Claire Huangci is a brilliant pianist anmd so young. It was a real pleasure to watch and listen to her playing. I really hope I have the opportunity to see her in the future. In particular i enjoyed Sonata No 2, Op.35.

[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by shaulhadar
hello all chopin lovers, i have a question, is chopin's last peice the g minor mazurka or the f minor frop op.68? in case of the f minor, i heard a version with is a little bit extended than usual...here is what i mean:
http://nt1k23.com/chomusic/maz68-4.mp3
(if it asks for a pass word and name write username:chopin password: poet)

is this the original or is it an add on by someone? if it is the original why isn't there any notes for the additional part?

thanks ,
Shaul.

Dear Shaul,

Elene's right: we don't know for sure. Some scholars (including me) have argued against the F minor Mazurka as the "last work", the arguments drawing on the dating of the sketch itself, and a reading of the biographical evidence. But not everyone agrees with this interpretation.

I'm in Lausanne, and unable to download the clip you linked to, but I imagine I know what is in it: the Fontana transcription of the sketch (and remember, Chopin only left a sketch of the Mazurka; he did not finish it) leaves out about a third of the music Chopin wrote. There have been various attempts to reconstruct the sketch so as to include this missing music. The most well known is edited by Jan Ekier, but this version - in my opinion - does not get the form correct. There is a better edition by Ronald Smith, but this one too shortens the piece incorrectly (but it is easily fixed by adding a repeat - I write about this in my book).

I personally think the G minor Mazurka is later than the sketch for the F minor Mazurka.

Last night in Lausanne I heard an attempt at a reconstruction of Chopin's first Parisian concert. What a different experience it is to hear the kind of mixed ensemble, mixed performer concert that Chopin was accustomed to! Much food for thought . . .

Jeff Kallberg

Originally Posted by Elene
Check out this lady. Doesn't she look familiar?

Who was that artist? It looks like something by Delacroix, but the link says Ange Tissier.

I was at a local historic home a couple weks ago and they had a print on the wall of a man and woman sitting across from each other at the table with a big book open that the man was reading from. The title of the picture was "Reading the Scripture," and it was by N. Currier. What made me do a double take was that the pair looked like Chopin and Sand. Someone must have had a sense of humor. I tried to find a copy of the image online, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Edit - I did find it Currier Print , but in the picture I saw, the guy didn't have dark hair, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Last edited by FrChopinFan; 09/13/10 11:26 PM.

"That nice good-natured Chopin played for us a while. What a charming genius!" Delacroix
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Stores just posted this on another thread. Wish they'd used a better portrait.
Chopin autograph for sale - only $35,000

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Sorry to get off the current topic, but I am so very excited (rare for me, lately). I am attending a concert on Saturday featuring Jeffrey Biegel playing Chopin's Andante Spianato and Grand Polonaise. HURRAY! and FINALLY!! Something in the Rockford area that is paying a bit of tribute to our hero.

Here is Mr. Biegel playing the what he will be playing Saturday night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtjoVHcPaVE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zlfJTDx53Q&feature=related

I am also going to attend a master class (ha!)on Friday, but it is open to all, so that "all" should certainly include moi. Just a fee of $5.00 to benefit the Symphony.

I do like his performance, but I could do without some of the facial movements during the Andante Spianato. But I am beginning to think that these movement might help some artists pull out that passion that dwells within. Maybe I should try it; it certainly couldn't hurt. I used to hunch my shoulders, but my piano teacher said that was a "no-no."

Anyhow, I am so pleased that the RSO and Mr. Biegel have deemed it fit to celebrate Chopin's 200th birthday, if only in this one instance. Picture me HAPPY!

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 09/14/10 10:05 AM.

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
J
J
Originally Posted by -Frycek

-Frycek,

Where's the other thread?

Jeff Kallberg

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg

-Frycek,

Jeff Kallberg

What's on top of Your Piano?
(not very Chopin intensive)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've lost track of the Oct. 17 recital thread. Anything going on? Every so often Box.net sends me a message that my recording of "Melodia" has been downloaded, but I don't know by whom.

The "last" mazurka recording Shaul posted was lovely. I had never really appreciated this piece before. Who was playing?

I looked up Square d'Orleans because I couldn't remember the actual street it's on, that is, the street one turns off of to enter the square, and I found this:

View from 9 Square d'Orleans

It's supposed to be what Chopin would have seen if he looked out his window over at George's place across the courtyard. It doesn't seem right to me, though; my memory (and who knows if it's correct) says that the doorway into George's building should be at the far left.

Kathleen, I'm delighted to hear that there will at last be some Chopin going on in your area for 2010.

Jeff, what's up in Lausanne? I'm beginning to think that I should have gone for that music history degree I was contemplating!

Elene

J
J
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg

-Frycek,

Jeff Kallberg

Thanks -Frycek. How could I have missed this?

Elene: Lausanne was a conference on Chopin and period pianos, mostly. Quite a luxurious number of pianos (from 1802 Broadwoods to 1850 Erards, with a bunch of Pleyels in between; also different varieties - grands, pianinos, square pianos) to hear and to try out.

Here's the website (you have to click for the program):

Harmoniques

The recital by Jean-Jacques Dünki at noon on Saturday was most special for its intelligence and superb musicianship.

But that's all done; I've been home since Sunday, and am getting ready to head down to another Chopin fest at the University of Virginia on Friday and Saturday (with the promise of two excellent recitals by Andrew Willis (on period piano) and Roberto Poli (modern piano).

Jeff Kallberg

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I think it was me who mentioned the Chopin head, then stores mentioned the autograph...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Mary-Rose
Hallo Kathleen, it's lovely to hear from you again. Nobuyuki Tsujii is indeed moving - both his own story, and his beautiful playing. You may already know that there's quite a bit of the Van Cliburn competition on YouTube, and he has his own website too.

I am wondering how on earth he manages to learn the works in the first place. Can you get piano music in Braille? And I wonder if he's going to enter this year's Chopin competition?

There is music in Braille.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L

From the Rendell description of that signed letter...

Chopin's note refers to two of his favorite Nocturnes (Op. 55, nos. 1 and 2),

I don't think that nocturnes, #55 (1 and/or 2) were especially among Chopin's favorites. At least I don't recall ever reading that this was the case.

I do have a bust of Chopin, but I don't keep it on my piano. It has its very own pedestal-type stand (what else would be more appropriate?). And it is placed right in the curve of my grand piano. H. Felder (as M. Chopin) stated that the piano was NOT a piece of furniture and thus was not a place for anything but music.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

From the Rendell description of that signed letter...

Chopin's note refers to two of his favorite Nocturnes (Op. 55, nos. 1 and 2),

I don't think that nocturnes, #55 (1 and/or 2) were especially among Chopin's favorites. At least I don't recall ever reading that this was the case.

Kathleen

MaryRose and I think that maybe he'd selected the scores for a student/students.

Welcome back Kathleen. smile

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I went to my music shop to buy a new guitar and some scores today and asked if they had a Chopin head/bust. They did not, but said they can order one.
However, I would prefer to "see" it before I buy it, so maybe I will have a look when I go to Sydney.
I had one as a child by the way, but to talk to my mother would be totally hopeless... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new guitar, ChopinAddict.

I've never seen a bust of Chopin for sale that I really liked and thought looked like him. However, our local store Music Mart had a set of drawings of composers that included one of him that struck me as looking unusually close to the real thing. Later, when I got my copy of the death mask, I realized it must have been drawn from that. (Mary-Rose thinks it's too prettified.) That's what I've got hanging on the wall next to my piano.

I suppose I could make it more unnerving and hang up the death mask itself. I'd be too afraid of breakage, and besides, I'd have to dust him.

Yesterday a patient came in who is a fan of Our Friend, and she was asking about my upcoming trip. I mentioned that there is so much marketing of him going on that one can even buy a ceramic effigy of his nose. She laughed and exclaimed, "What next?" and added that they'd probably be selling certain other parts of him if casts had been made of them!

Another patient asked where exactly I was going, and when I said I'd be starting in Poland and ending up in France, he replied, "Oh, so you're taking the Chopin tour?" But yet another patient, when I explained that I'd be going to the Chopin competition, asked, "The what??" Fortunately that is rare in my practice!

Have any of you world travelers had trouble with American credit cards in Europe? I read the other day that many people have had difficulty because European cards now have chips rather than magnetic strips, and the magnetic strip cards don't work at ticket kiosks and that sort of thing.

Elene

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I went to my music shop to buy a new guitar and some scores today and asked if they had a Chopin head/bust. They did not, but said they can order one.
However, I would prefer to "see" it before I buy it, so maybe I will have a look when I go to Sydney.
I had one as a child by the way, but to talk to my mother would be totally hopeless... frown

I also asked in a local music shop (which isn't actually very local) for a Chopin bust but they didn't have one and said they would order one...but they never did.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sure if you look online there will be multiple busts of Chopin available.

Elene

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
i would search online but i have developed a mistrust for purchasing anything over the internet.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
i would search online but i have developed a mistrust for purchasing anything over the internet.

Me too... I have never been ripped off to be honest, but I know people who have, including ordering laptops that never arrived...

Some time ago I had another problem, but it seems to have been solved. Parcels and sometimes even letters didn't arrive here. It might even have been somebody who worked at the post office, who knows.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock

I also asked in a local music shop (which isn't actually very local) for a Chopin bust but they didn't have one and said they would order one...but they never did.

I am sorry to hear that. My music shop treats me well, but mainly because I have bought half the shop... ha I was surprised yesterday. They knew all my details (name, address) by heart... They usually also give me a 20% discount, which is good, particularly if something is expensive...
Now that it is finally spring here I want to go to Sydney anyway one day, so I will have a look if I can find a bust I like...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 339 of 425 1 2 337 338 339 340 341 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission