2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Soozen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am sorry if you get this question or something similar a lot. I thought I might find a FAQ, but I don't see one for this group.

I'm a classically trained pianist and can play fairly advanced classical pieces. I'd like to get better at harmonizing and playing by ear. I can pick out one line tunes easily, but I'm no good at chords. I bought this Karajin ear training to give me something to do when I'm not at the piano, but, after having all kinds of difficulty just telling minor, augmented, and diminished chords apart, I'm thinking maybe it's a waste of time trying to learn to identify chords out of context of music. I would rather have something like a collection of pieces that leads me through progressively more difficult sequences, where maybe I listen and try myself, then if I get stuck, I can look at a score.

At the moment I'm going through a book on music theory (The Complete Musician) and I'm also working through Levine's Jazz Piano book. But I think they're going to take me three years to get through them and the Jazz Piano book will be more than I can chew with out a teacher regardless. I don't aim to be a great or even good jazz pianist, I just want to be able to play out of my head more. I also don't want a "method" like a lot of these learn-to-play websites offer. I'd like to be able to play a variety of styles. I want to be a well rounded pianist.

So if you anyone could recommend maybe a book with CD or a list of pieces I might work through or other advice, I'd appreciate it. There' so much stuff out there, I'm feeling lost, and also impatient because I'm getting old.

R
R
You know I could understand your situation as I am basically in the same boat. One thing that helped me a bit was a book 'simply beautiful piano' arranged by Preston Keys. His arrangements are easy enough for most to sight read, but they are also really nice. They all use simple open voicing's with sort of an emphasis on 7ths and 3rds, and voice leading if that makes any sense. He also tends to stick in the middle region of the piano so its not too hard to play or sight read, and as a result they tend to sound nice. It didn't take long before I could understand exactly why and what he was doing. It also didn't take long before I could create my own arrangements in a similar style.

One thing that also helped me was getting a jazz piano teacher. Its one thing to read about the voicing's in Mark Levine's book, and its another to have a teacher show you them. Myself I am currently working through a few Al Lerner arrangements which I think are also quite good.

Originally Posted by Soozen
I am sorry if you get this question or something similar a lot. I thought I might find a FAQ, but I don't see one for this group.

I'm a classically trained pianist and can play fairly advanced classical pieces. I'd like to get better at harmonizing and playing by ear. I can pick out one line tunes easily, but I'm no good at chords. I bought this Karajin ear training to give me something to do when I'm not at the piano, but, after having all kinds of difficulty just telling minor, augmented, and diminished chords apart, I'm thinking maybe it's a waste of time trying to learn to identify chords out of context of music. I would rather have something like a collection of pieces that leads me through progressively more difficult sequences, where maybe I listen and try myself, then if I get stuck, I can look at a score.

At the moment I'm going through a book on music theory (The Complete Musician) and I'm also working through Levine's Jazz Piano book. But I think they're going to take me three years to get through them and the Jazz Piano book will be more than I can chew with out a teacher regardless. I don't aim to be a great or even good jazz pianist, I just want to be able to play out of my head more. I also don't want a "method" like a lot of these learn-to-play websites offer. I'd like to be able to play a variety of styles. I want to be a well rounded pianist.

So if you anyone could recommend maybe a book with CD or a list of pieces I might work through or other advice, I'd appreciate it. There' so much stuff out there, I'm feeling lost, and also impatient because I'm getting old.

Last edited by s_winitsky; 09/09/10 08:38 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
when figuring out chords to a song, go for the bottom note first, they usually tell you what the chord is. It may get tricky if he is using inversions of a chord, but even he is, chances are the low note is the 3rd or 5th of the chord.

If you want to know what key a song is in, listen to the first and last chord of the tune. Most songs usually end on the tonic or the I chord. Here's the thing about chord progression, most tunes have some kind of I or V chord, maybe ii, and vi, and sometimes you can use the IV chord as a temporary home(like C7 in key of C). You should be able to figure out a good portion of a song just by knowing that.

Also look at the notes you are playing on the strong beat. If the chord is not changing, the notes on the strong beat will give away the chords.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by etcetra
when figuring out chords to a song, go for the bottom note first, they usually tell you what the chord is. It may get tricky if he is using inversions of a chord, but even he is, chances are the low note is the 3rd or 5th of the chord.

If you want to know what key a song is in, listen to the first and last chord of the tune. Most songs usually end on the tonic or the I chord. Here's the thing about chord progression, most tunes have some kind of I or V chord, maybe ii, and vi, and sometimes you can use the IV chord as a temporary home(like C7 in key of C). You should be able to figure out a good portion of a song just by knowing that.

Also look at the notes you are playing on the strong beat. If the chord is not changing, the notes on the strong beat will give away the chords.

That's a really good set of tips for those of us who are dying to use both hands playing by ear!
thanks!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
What I would suggest is that you simply sit down at that piano and start improvising purely by ear, with no concern for theory or whether you're doing things the "right" way or not. When you do this, everything you produce is your own original music, that no one else has ever played before, which is really amazing when you think about it.

Compare this with working through those jazz piano method books of yours. At the end of three years, all you'll have done is learn set patterns, with no original creation. Whereas after three years of improvising by ear, you will have created thousands of original works for the piano. No contest as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Gyro; 09/13/10 05:09 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gyro
What I would suggest is that you simply sit down at that piano and start improvising purely by ear, with no concern for theory or whether you're doing things the "right" way or not.

Gyro, did you teach Nora the cat how to play?

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
B
B
Gyro, I mentioned in a previous topic that I'd love to hear one of your improvisations. Any way you could show us an example?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Studio Joe
What I would suggest is that you simply sit down at that piano and start improvising purely by ear, with no concern for theory or whether you're doing things the "right" way or not.

Gyro, did you teach Nora the cat how to play?

I think it's the other way around, Nora taught Gyro how to play.

Whereas after three years of improvising by ear, you will have created thousands of original works for the piano. No contest as far as I'm concerned.

You mean thousands of original works that sound the same, using pretty much the same harmonic and melodic pattern?

I guess in that respect nora the cat improvises new music all that time. do you this random notes played by a cat to be amazing?

Forget about jazz for a second.. can you tell me how much classical composers like Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart studied music through theory and transcription, as opposed to just playing by ear? Do you realize that these composers wouldn't have written the music you are playing now if it wasn't for the theory?

Last edited by etcetra; 09/14/10 02:00 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by etcetra

I think it's the other way around, Nora taught Gyro how to play.

Etcetra, you cracked me up with that one. But I have to say, I think Gyro is on to something. Ultimately, we do have to give up all ideas of what's right and wrong, all rules and guidelines, and simply play what sounds good to us.

At least, that's how I see it.

But the thing is, from what I've read, Gyro, you live purely at one end of the spectrum. You say you have no interest in learning to imitate—with precision—what other musicians are doing. And what folks here are saying is that copying is an essential part of the learning process.

Quite simply, it's how we learn any language—be it English, French, or music.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Bruce Siegel,

I am not completely rejecting the usefulness of what Gyro is trying to preach, but what he is saying is not very helpful if you are trying to figure out how to harmonize a melody with chords.

BTW Gyro has also made the same exact suggestion on figuring how to figure out chords to a pre-existing song.. basically he said just play by your ear regardless of whether it resembles the tune or not. Well, I am pretty sure practicing that way for 100 hrs won't get you any close to learning the chords to that tune, and the stuff Me and other people have said can probably help you figure out the song in couple of hours.

Bottom line is make sure your suggestions are actually relevant, and make suggestions on something you know something about smile

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Studio Joe, that kind of response doesn't help people, better you say: "I've been learning jazz piano from a textbook, and I can now do __________." Fill in the blank with what you can do on the piano.

Btcomm, the reason I don't post a recording is that I don't have any recording set-up, and it would cost me more than $1000 and hundreds of hrs. of testing to get it all in place, and I have no time for that. But more to the point, if you're asking this, that means you've never tried improvising like I describe, because if you had, then you'd see what I'm talking about. You need to try it, and experience the satisfaction that this brings. You're creating original routines on the piano each time you sit down--you're never creating the same thing in a practice session-- things that no one has ever done before on the piano. Just this idea alone is so amazing that I'm surprised everyone is not dropping everything and rushing to their piano to try it.

Last edited by Gyro; 09/14/10 02:58 PM.
S
Soozen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the suggestions. I found an old thread started by a classical pianist who wanted to be a "cocktail pianist" and found that thread quite helpful, too.

A teacher would be great, but I live in a very small town and am having trouble finding anything online. Next time I go to a piano bar in the city, I might ask the guy for lessons or teacher recommendations.

I've been sitting down and playing some easy pieces by ear - like some Billy Joel licks, John Lennon's "Imagine", the Pink Panther theme, and the chicken dance - and you're right, etcetra, it's not hard once you figure out the bass. I've been having a lot of fun. I'm looking for some slightly more complicated pieces to work on, so if anyone has some favorites that I could find online, I'd love to hear your suggestions. I'd especially like to learn some latin pieces.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Back in high school (quite a while ago!), when I studied only classical music, I used to sit down and improvise. What mostly came out were simply rock and roll chords, as that's all I knew. It was fun, but I'd get bored after 15 or 20 minutes, as it all started to sound the same.

Fast forward many years, and I've now been studying jazz for several years, including harmony, transcriptions, listening, etc. I can now improvise for hours on end because of all the new sounds, rhythms and techniques I've learned. Each solo is my own, never before created music.

Improvising based solely on your ear, without studying the great masters of jazz, is like swimming in a small, inflatable pool in your backyard, and ignoring the ocean around the corner.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Jjo, I'm skeptical. This improvisation you do now, what does it sound like? If you're of the mindset of most of the people here, I suspect it sounds too much like all the jazz piano you hear on Youtube, that is, it all sounds like "standard" jazz. I have no desire to play like that. What's the point in sounding like everyone else, is the way I see it. You might think my improv sounds terrible, because it doesn't sound like anything you've heard before, it's not the "correct" way to play jazz. But that's the whole point. I want to sound different from everyone else. What's the point in playing if you're just going to sound the same as everyone?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Jjo, I'm skeptical. This improvisation you do now, what does it sound like? If you're of the mindset of most of the people here, I suspect it sounds too much like all the jazz piano you hear on Youtube, that is, it all sounds like "standard" jazz. I have no desire to play like that. What's the point in sounding like everyone else, is the way I see it. You might think my improv sounds terrible, because it doesn't sound like anything you've heard before, it's not the "correct" way to play jazz. But that's the whole point. I want to sound different from everyone else. What's the point in playing if you're just going to sound the same as everyone?

Okay let's clarify,

you have no desire to play like that.

again,

YOU have no desire to play like that.

again,

YOU have no desire to play like that.

So why are you writing to people who actually want to play like that? and actually enjoy learning it that way? Are you saying your method is better? Because whether your way is better or not, is subjective right?

What is wrong with wanting to sound like someone else instead of being original? HOW CAN YOU SAY EITHER ONE IS BETTER OR WORSE?

Bottom line is Do you see how USELESS AND IRRELEVANT your suggestion is if you want to PLAY LIKE THAT? Why do you insist on your method when it doesn't help you PLAY LIKE THAT, which is what the OP wants to do?

WHY CAN"T SOMEONE DO BOTH BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT MOST JAZZ MUSICIANS ACTUALLY DO IN REALITY? I can tell you I do alot of free improv when I am not inspired to practice and most jazz musicians do.

btw most people that post youtube recording doesn't have $1000 equipment. They are probably using camcorder the got for like 50-100 bucks.

Last edited by etcetra; 09/14/10 04:03 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Soozen

There are tons of stuff you can find on youtube for free

Some basic harmonizing stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yad7RBHgCzg&feature=related

Solo Jazz piano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AowFCHpvobM

Funk Keyboard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPEX...FAAA3B28C7C0B&index=0&playnext=1

Gosepel Keyboard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B2sYP8OoVk

I guess I've done enough transcription so if I want to learn something new I just transcribe it, using programs like Transcribe! or amazing slow downer. It's amazing how much you can learn from the internet. You don't need to go to school to learn these stuff, and you couldn't learn music like this 10 yrs ago.

Last edited by etcetra; 09/14/10 04:27 PM.
S
S
My recommendation would be to master a key. Get really comfortable in the key of C and find popular songs in this key online. One of my favorite resources is www.e-chords.com where you can find the chord chart virtually any popular song. They don't typically provide the melody, so it's still a work-out for you.

Basic music theory can be really valuable as well, learning fundamental differences between major and minor, how songs are typically structured. Especially with pop music, it follows a set structure most of the time.

Hopefully that's helpful! Just master one key.

Sarah
Yamaha Clavinova CLP270, Teacher
www.mycollegesandcareers.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What I would suggest is that you simply sit down at that piano and start improvising purely by ear, with no concern for theory or whether you're doing things the "right" way or not. When you do this, everything you produce is your own original music, that no one else has ever played before, which is really amazing when you think about it.

Hard for me to understand how this is done .... please post a sample recording.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
dannac

it's kind of like saying "try to type/write something purely by instinct, with no concern to grammar/spelling, or whether you are doing it right.When you do this, everything you produce is your own writing, that no one else has ever played before, which is really amazing when you think about it.

In writing it usually looks like this

afiodafnEfajiunfz;p'do;jnvopkewdmfjnvop

or

kpojmihubnjp;];l[pko

or

\;]lp'ok;jilkhugy

I think you get the point..

Last edited by etcetra; 09/14/10 05:05 PM.
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Dannac, I can understand your reluctance to do this. I had yrs. of classical lessons as a child, and I've been playing for more than 30 yrs., and in the past I've tried to study music theory in order to "have the foundation to improvise" (I tried to study classical harmony, both types of counterpoint, form, orchestration, jazz theory, etc.), and it never occurred to me to just sit down and play by ear, because I was afraid I would do it "wrong." Finally, about a yr. ago I got fed up with wading through theory textbooks, because they weren't helping me at all, and so I just started to play by ear, and it was a revelation. This is what I should have been doing way back when I was a child, and by now I'd be tearing up the keys improvising.

There is no set way I can tell you to do this, because your previous experience playing and your music tastes will influence exactly how you do it. You just dig in with both hands and play, purely by ear, with no concern for theory or whether or not you're doing things the "right" way.

Surprisingly, the very first time I did this, I thought I sounded pretty impressive, since I had no experience doing this and had no reference point. Soon however, I realized that I had much to learn. Like anything improvisation takes a lot of practice.

What this teaches you is how to think with your fingers on the spot, so to speak. With experience you should be able to improvise by ear from scratch, not trying to play anything specific, but instantly adjusting to the particular situation and audience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission