2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
F
OP Offline
F
Great pictures Mawima !
I have the same bench as you. I just wish it went a little lower than it does.
You seem to have a great spot for it as well. Outdoor light coming in from both sides !

One thing that pulled me towards the CN-33 visually where to pillars on both sides. Which the CN-23 doesn't have.

Enjoy the piano people, I know I am !

ps: I removed the vase/flowers. It just didn't feel safe smile

Fred

Last edited by Fred Lierman; 07/28/10 03:28 PM.

Fred N.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the words of support chaps (and for Fred's nice flowers, lol!).

Mawima, your CN33 photos look absolutely terrific, and a great setting to play the piano too - the natural light streaming in through those windows. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
U
U
Thank you for the compliments. I really enjoy playing the CN33 there.

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
U
U
Originally Posted by Fred Lierman
One thing that pulled me towards the CN-33 visually where to pillars on both sides. Which the CN-23 doesn't have.

I also like the look of this piano very much. The ivory color of the keys are also a nice addition to their touch.

U
U
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I always like to see the stool/bench that people use as I don't have one. I have back trouble, not related to piano and am reluctant to invest in a traditional style bench without back support. But I've just started to learn to pedal and find sitting back on my office style chair doesn't work so well for that. I might start saving for a bench next, after the summer holiday.

It's a simple bench from Thomann. They are very affordable and very ok for the price in my opinion.

See there Piano Banks and Stools @ Thomann

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the link to the Thomann benches.

Y
Y
James,

Sorry to see the picture of your injured ankle. Seems like you had a pretty nasty spill for the ligaments to be torn. Hope you'll be back on your bike soon enough.

Per the pianos in CN/CA series, they have built-in Alfred lessons but it seems these are only the first year lessons. Will it be possible to load 2nd/3rd year lessons into these pianos later? For that matter, can I acquire this capability for Kawai ES6 (which is under consideration), a Kawai piano of the same generation as the CN series pianos, i.e. by loading Alfred lessons on a computer connected to ES6?

But it is not just the stored Alfred piano lessons, it is also what Kawai has done with their pianos to work with the Alfred lessons: they can slow down to make it easier to play along; they can also mute either the left- or right- hand portion so the player can focus on the fingering of one opposite hand.

In another thread, in response to my question on auto-accompaniment, robdean was kind enough to share the info on a software called "Amazing Slow Downer", so presumably one can acquire the slow-down capability with the software loaded on a computer.

As for the muting of left/right hand, I am not sure how necessary it is. This sounds like an interesting and potentially useful feature, but haven't people been learning how to play the piano with one hand at a time, then combining two hands on a piano for ages?

But I must admit that, with the built-in Alfred lessons, along with specific technologies designed to make learning easier, have made the CA/CN pianos very attractive to this aspiring beginner. I only wish these features are available on the ES6, or somewhat retrofitted into ES6.

These are probably not appropriate questions for this forum. I will head over to Adult Beginners Forum to do more research over there.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"I went out cycling during my lunch break... and slipped on some wet metal grating in the road... on this occasion my shoe didn't disengage from the pedal - I came off the bike but my foot stayed with it... a badly torn ligament means no cycling for 3-4 months. ;("

I hope you're better soon, James! I've taken a few bad spills on my bike through the years, but never took to the toe clips for the very reason you mentioned--- maybe I wasn't entirely paranoid after all. Back in the day, Atlanta used to have drainage grates all over town with a slot just wide enough to eat a bike tire to the hubs (and plenty of rain and slick conditions--- and this was before helmets; I had never heard of a bike helmet back then). Sure did love to ride, though, and never put on a single pound for almost thirty years.

They can work near-miracles with those fiber-optic surgery techniques, so with some luck and rest, you'll never know it even happened.

Clef

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
James, sorry to hear of your biking accident. I hope things heal quickly for you!

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Thanks again for you kind words chaps.

The plaster cast was removed the other day, but I am having to wear ankle support strapping all day to keep the joint at a right-angle. I can just about walk and get up and down stairs, but it's clearly going to be some time before I'll be back in the saddle again.

Anyway, back to the thread...

Originally Posted by YoungH
Per the pianos in CN/CA series, they have built-in Alfred lessons but it seems these are only the first year lessons. Will it be possible to load 2nd/3rd year lessons into these pianos later?

Current CA/CN models feature the following built-in Alfred lesson books:

CN23: Alfred's Basic Piano Library 1A&1B
CN33: Alfred's Basic Piano Library 1A&1B, Alfred's Premier Piano Course 1A&1B
CA63/CA93: Alfred's Basic Piano Library 1A&1B, Alfred's Premier Piano Course 1A&1B, Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course 1

I'm afraid it is not possible to upgrade the built-in lesson books with newer or more advanced material.

For that matter, can I acquire this capability for Kawai ES6 (which is under consideration), a Kawai piano of the same generation as the CN series pianos, i.e. by loading Alfred lessons on a computer connected to ES6?

Unfortunately it's not possible to upgrade the ES6's software to add the lesson functionality of the CN/CA. However by connecting the instrument to a computer and replaying each Alfred song as a MIDI (assuming that the MIDI files are available) it should be possible to recreate much of the Kawai DP's functionality (adjusting tempo, muting left/right hand) - albeit with the convenience of operating the lessons from the instrument directly.

As for the muting of left/right hand, I am not sure how necessary it is. This sounds like an interesting and potentially useful feature, but haven't people been learning how to play the piano with one hand at a time, then combining two hands on a piano for ages?

Yes, you're absolutely right. However, I believe the benefit of muting the left/right hand during playback is that it allows the player to play alone and 'hear' how the piece should be performed with both hands.

But I must admit that, with the built-in Alfred lessons, along with specific technologies designed to make learning easier, have made the CA/CN pianos very attractive to this aspiring beginner. I only wish these features are available on the ES6, or somewhat retrofitted into ES6.

I agree, the built-in Alfred lessons (Czerny, Burgmüller, etc. etudes on models sold in mainland Europe) are a useful addition for beginners - especially when combined with the notated scores. Including such functionality on the ES6 would be a nice addition, however this instrument is intended as a stage piano for gigging musicians.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

Jeff, your portrayal of the Atlanta roads sounds pretty treacherous. Hamamatsu isn't quite so bad, thankfully, however it does have its fair share of cracks, potholes, and wheel-swallowing gaps at the side of the road.

I was in pretty good shape when I came off, but now I'm feeling my muscle tone start to decline - it's horrible. ;(

Cheers,
James
x

F
OP Offline
F
When I was practicing yesterday I discovered the "string resonance" in the CN-33.
I read about this before buying the piano but didn't think so much of it. But after experimenting a bit with it on the CN-33 I was pleasently surprised.

Another thing I'd like to point out again is the ivory key touch.
It was one of the reasons why I chose the CN-33 over one of the Yamaha's that I was trying out.
Looking back on it I am very happy this keyboard has the ivory touch. The keys surface feel so smooth and pleasant.

I will keep updating my continueing experiences with the CN-33.
And I'm very glad to see other people enjoying this piano as well.

Fred

Fred N.
E
E
got mine today in satin black!

don't think I can assemble it alone so will try over the weekend!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Let the sun come up in this part of the world, Fred, and I'll send you a photo of my solution of where to put dangerous, wet things like coffee cups, and shreddy things like where to mark and erase scores with pencils--- yes, you can have it all. I like the mp8ii's features but wish it could have the form factor of your cn-33... except that it would be nice to have the foot pedal and expression pedal integrated into the pedal lyre. Thanks for including the photos, it looks like such a nice place to play.

"Jeff, your portrayal of the Atlanta roads sounds pretty treacherous. Hamamatsu ...[has] its fair share of cracks, potholes, and wheel-swallowing gaps at the side of the road."

Atlanta was actually a beautiful place to live back then. Every place has its hazards, and cyclists are uniquely exposed to them. San Jose has a tree that sheds thorns that will, 100% guaranteed, put your bike tires out of business. So we have to not only watch the road, but the air.

"I was in pretty good shape when I came off, but now I'm feeling my muscle tone start to decline - it's horrible. ;("

It will come back, James. You will be a stronger athlete in the end. Those tendon injuries are worth tending, they are uniquely unforgiving. I have to guard the left arm when playing the AP to this day because of a bike injury years ago; I should have done what you're doing now.

Clef

Y
Y
James,

Thanks for your info on the various built-in Alfred lesson books for the different Kawai models.

Originally Posted by Kawai James

Unfortunately it's not possible to upgrade the ES6's software to add the lesson functionality of the CN/CA. However by connecting the instrument to a computer and replaying each Alfred song as a MIDI (assuming that the MIDI files are available) it should be possible to recreate much of the Kawai DP's functionality (adjusting tempo, muting left/right hand) - albeit with the convenience of operating the lessons from the instrument directly.

Could you please elaborate on your comment that, by replaying MIDI files, one can adjust tempo and mute left/right hand? I presume some additional software on the computer will need to be acquired?

I have read on one of the forum threads that MacBook Pro has "Garage Band". I wonder if such functionalities are already built-in features of "Garage Band"? Unfortunately I am a PC user. What will I need to acquire such functionalities for PC? Or will I have to go the MacBook Pro route?

YoungH

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kawai James,

So you have been unlucky.......so sorry for you.

Wish you all the best and speedy recovery thumb thumb

Keep smiling boy. eek smile blush

Best regards
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mawima, Fred and Spanishbuddha....nice pics of the Kawai.

James you can be proud of the product you're working for....

Best regards,

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
More great CN33 pics from eyst are here.

Could you please elaborate on your comment that, by replaying MIDI files, one can adjust tempo and mute left/right hand? I presume some additional software on the computer will need to be acquired?

I believe most, if not all MIDI sequencing software allows the playback tempo to be adjusted, and for individual tracks to be turned on and off. As suggested, it's perhaps not as convenient as controlling everything from piano's control panel, however it's certainly possible.

GarageBand is only available for Mac OS, however similar applications do exist, ranging in price and complexity.

Kind regards,
James
x

Johan B,

Thank you, I'm trying to remain as positive about my injury as possible.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission