2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One thing I've notice is that a good pianist can make good music even on an old clunker upright. The experienced player learns to adapt.

You use the word adapt while I would say that the experienced player has more control. I feel it really helps one's playing to play on pianos that are not forgiving. If you drive a Mack truck every day, you'll appreciate the handling of a sports car.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Well, today i had the chance to play a Kawai Grand (at our church, which we were helping to clean, heh-heh...). I've been practicing on a Casio WK-200, which is NOT a good digital keyboard. Just recently started working on my classical pieces again.

It was EASIER to play on the Kawai than on my toy keyboard, I made fewer mistakes, and it didn't really mess me up at all, practicing on the Casio.

Admittedly, I noticed that I'm not playing with weight and it was more work for sure, but oh, what a pleasure! How beautiful the sound and feel of a quality grand is!

I was a bit taken aback by the volume, but it wasn't so bad, because we were in a very large room with not very good acoustics.

All in all, a yummy treat, and it made me feel better about my having to practice on my Casio.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by McDonuts
dewster, with how particular your tastes are with respect to the sound of a digital piano (e.g. the DPBSD), why are you so interested in internal speakers?

They're handy. And if they don't cost too much, add too much weight, take up too much room in the DP enclosure, sound too horrible, etc. then I'll gladly take them. One situation where good enough is the enemy of the perfect.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I want the speakers too. I'm wondering whether there might be a small market for a keyboard-less tone generator/amp/speakers, that could be used with a speakerless digital piano or MIDI controller on the odd occasion. Something like that Sonic Cell with small speakers.

Greg.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Yes, you are correct - it was an oversight for me to
neglect to mention the needs of jazz/pop keyboardists. I was referring only to the needs of classically oriented pianists.

R
RDW Offline
R
Originally Posted by FogVilleLad
Yamaha's site says that their new home-style Arius YDP-181 has an additional sensor which aids fast repetition. The site doesn't actually say "GH3", but if this action has a third sensor, that's what it is.

That's interesting! I wonder if the site is accurate? The way it's worded would suggest to me that the extra key sensor is supposed to be a feature of GH (or GHE) in general, which we know isn't the case. Unless of course Yamaha are now introducing this across the board, effectively making everything above GHS a GH3 action?

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=5012844

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...etail.html?CNTID=5102355&CTID=205700

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jonathan Baker

The problem I have encountered with my digital is that I have to 'overplay', using an almost exaggerated finger articulation because any given note does not sound until the electronic contact is made when the key is depressed all the way down to the keyframe. This is not the case with my Steinway where the hammer has struck and retracted to fall back position a micro-second before the key is stopped by the keyframe over the keybed.

If the digital keyboard manufacturers could make their keyboard action comparable in this regard they would be taking a big, big step forward.

Jonathan, I wonder what DP you have? The reason for asking is that on my DP the note sounds before the key is fully depressed, and also it can be repeated without being fully released. Some DP's will even allow the note to be replayed before the previous note is silenced.

Even so, I suspect that you're right and that I, as a beginner, am 'overplaying' as I find it very difficult to play a range of dynamics other than quite loud. Maybe all beginners suffer that, but it could be a DP doesn't help in this aspect of learning?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission