2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Mark_C #1509916 09/06/10 08:17 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
....Valery Gergiev?? The conductor of the Mariinsky (formerly known as the Kirov) orchestra? Works for the met opera as a principle guest conductor, and does the Mariinsky ballet in Russia, and a bunch of other jobs.. frequent guest to Vienna and London phils, former principle conductor of Rotterdam.. and he is sooooo great!!!!!! I wish I lived in NY for that reason!

I actually looked him up right after that last post. I'm even more impressed by his social/political conscience and activity, and how he has used music toward that end.

You'd seriously not heard of him before now?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I'm still having problems with the program taking me to the beginning of any thread I click on instead of to the first unread post. This forces me to scroll to the end of the thread and backtrack to the last post I read.

I does that for me on threads that have "quotes" in the subject, but all others work like they should.

Last edited by Studio Joe; 09/06/10 08:45 AM.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
Mark_C #1509927 09/06/10 08:48 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, if we are talking problems in general...I still have the jumping problem as I try to respond with more than a few lines (guess that might be telling me I am long winded????)

So I can type a few lines, then it starts jumping and since at that time I can no longer be reading what I am writing I need to do it blindly. Post. Then go back and try to correct my spelling mistakes.

Most frustrating!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Mark_C #1509930 09/06/10 08:53 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Me too! Not lately though.

Mark_C #1509934 09/06/10 08:57 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe you need to work on your site reading.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
Mark_C #1509965 09/06/10 10:07 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have that problem sometimes but I suspect it's jsut the computer. What's more annoying is that soemtimes it logs me out just after logging me in (for no apparent reason), and that it will never keep me logged in even after pressing the "keep me logged in" button.

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Studio Joe

ha

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
stores #1510026 09/06/10 11:33 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

I actually looked him up right after that last post. I'm even more impressed by his social/political conscience and activity, and how he has used music toward that end.

You'd seriously not heard of him before now?

You'd be surprised actually. And a lot of people HERE don't know about him simply because every time they come to do a concert, our @#^%!$& orchestra does everything they can to not advertise it, even though it's in their damn hall. On their calendar it appeared as a blank night. Yet for any other guest orchestra they put it in. People are just jealous, at least I know our orchestra is. They can't stand the fact that there actually people out there who still give a $h.t about music, and they are afraid people will finally understand how absolutely, unbelievably terrible they are.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm still having problems with the program taking me to the beginning of any thread I click on instead of to the first unread post. This forces me to scroll to the end of the thread and backtrack to the last post I read.

This was not the case for at least 6 years(the program correctly took me to the first unread post in the thread). Then, the program started taking me to the beginning of each thread for a year or more. Then for a few recent weeks the program worked correctly(taking me to the first unread post). Now it's back to taking me to the beginning of each thread.

I've tried all of Frank's previous suggestions about making the program work the way it should, but none work.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been fixed as I assume many people have this annoying problem. So please speak up if you have this problem so maybe it can be addressed!

Sometimes it's a problem for me, and sometimes it isn't. I don't understand why it's not consistently one way or the other. But I understand what you mean, and I've heard you say something about that before. (That was a few months back, wasn't it?)

Online Content
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

This was not the case for at least 6 years(the program correctly took me to the first unread post in the thread). Then, the program started taking me to the beginning of each thread for a year or more. Then for a few recent weeks the program worked correctly(taking me to the first unread post). Now it's back to taking me to the beginning of each thread.

I've tried all of Frank's previous suggestions about making the program work the way it should, but none work.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been fixed as I assume many people have this annoying problem. So please speak up if you have this problem so maybe it can be addressed!

Sometimes it's a problem for me, and sometimes it isn't. I don't understand why it's not consistently one way or the other. But I understand what you mean, and I've heard you say something about that before. (That was a few months back, wasn't it?)
I've mentioned it a few times in the last two years. Although it's a big nuisance and I really think Frank should try and fix this(unless only as small number of people have the probelm), I had more or less accepted that nothing could be done. Then a week or two ago everything started working perfectly(the thread automatically jumped to the first unread post)for no apparent reason. Then, just as unexpectedly, it stopped working again.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lilylady
Well, if we are talking problems in general...I still have the jumping problem as I try to respond with more than a few lines (guess that might be telling me I am long winded????)

So I can type a few lines, then it starts jumping and since at that time I can no longer be reading what I am writing I need to do it blindly. Post. Then go back and try to correct my spelling mistakes.

Most frustrating!

I never had this problem, but I think loveschopintoomuch mentioned this problem too.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Mark_C #1510240 09/06/10 05:18 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Something that should be changed I think...
After you log out, when you log in again you don't see the new posts in bold...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I've been having that problem too, but not always.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
....I have no problems, but this morning I noticed the Quick Reply was to the OP rather than the last post.
Isn't that a slight contradiction? smile
I've noticed that too! Isn't that what you always wanted, Mark_C?.....

Not exactly, but close enough. ha

What I would "want": Give us the possibility to say/select who the post is "to." Yes, IMO this way is better than how it had been. All I meant with the prior post was that it was different than usual, which I thought meant it indicated some problem. But yes indeed -- it could be a change that was done on purpose.

And BTW.....if so -- i.e. if some changes were made in the site's format -- the issue that I'm pointing out could be related to it. Unintended glitches can happen with changes in format.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
If he reaches 10,000 posts before the 11th of November, the site will crash, so they are trying to take measures to prevent this... laugh
(PS: I guess you included ha as a smiley in your equation. wink )

I think we're getting to the root of the situation. smile

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by lilylady
The site is giving me the same problems of no connection. Twice just last nite. I have to close it down and wait abit before it will open.

Aha!!!!! ha

BTW.....it seems not to be happening over here any more. I hope not for you either.....

Good one! ha

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I does that for me on threads that have "quotes" in the subject, but all others work like they should.

On my computer, I have noticed it takes me again to the beginning of the thread if I have already read the new posts and then I reopen the thread for some reason before there are new posts after that.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....I have noticed it takes me again to the beginning of the thread if I have already read the new posts and then I reopen the thread for some reason before there are new posts after that.

That's how it should be.
But I assume some people mean it happens quite a bit even if they haven't seen the new posts on the thread.

(It happens for me occasionally, with some particular threads, but not often.)

Mark_C #1510510 09/07/10 12:12 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
What I would "want": Give us the possibility to say/select who the post is "to."
You can do this by pressing the "reply" button under the post you wish to reply to. This makes the post "to" that person. Or have I misunderstood what you meant?

Du holde Kunst...
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by currawong
What I would "want": Give us the possibility to say/select who the post is "to."
You can do this by pressing the "reply" button under the post you wish to reply to. This makes the post "to" that person. Or have I misunderstood what you meant?

Yes -- you're right.
But.....a couple of things:

-- Many sites give you the possibility of indicating a post to whoever you want to, without necessarily clicking on that person's post.
Like.....suppose you see a post that you want to reply to, but before doing the reply, you want to also look at the posts that came after it. So, you wind up at some later point on that thread (often the end) -- and if you want your reply to be shown as "to" that other member, you need to go back and click "Reply" on that post. If the site enabled what I said, you'd be able to do it much more easily.
You could say that it's not hard to go back to that post and click "Reply," and you'd be right. And in fact that's what I myself always do.
But many or most people don't. They just do the "Quick Reply" which used to automatically indicate your post as being "to" the member who did the last post and now apparently automatically indicates it to the OP -- and at times this has caused huge confusion, and sometimes some tension.

-- About this next thing, I should have been more specific in my other post.....Part of what I meant was that the site should allow the choice of indicating a reply being to "All" -- i.e. not to any one post or member but just a general post on the subject. Most sites do that. It's very unusual for this not to be enabled.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission