2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
dewster, 88-key sampling isn't important to you then?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
dewster, 88-key sampling isn't important to you then?

You mean 84 key sampling like in the CA63? wink

Yes stretching, particularly if it is audible, is very important to me. But there are other things like note decay time, looping, etc. that can be just as important if not moreso. Like I said, the numbers are the result of a quick impression, not a deep data dive.

dewster, 88-key sampling is 88-key sampling - regardless of what your test may suggest.

Cheers,
James
x

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
dewster, 88-key sampling is 88-key sampling - regardless of what your test may suggest.

James - Have you got your flack jacket on? Dewy gets sensitive about his test results/conclusions!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
So how do we determine if the NX will sound better than the GX?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

James - Have you got your flack jacket on? Dewy gets sensitive about his test results/conclusions!

Whatever claims are made on either side, if I can't tell the difference with my ears, I don't really care. AUDIBLE stretching/looping/layering is where the problem lies.

What I will say is that now the manufacturers are aware of Dewster's tests, they are likely to be a little more careful with what they put in print in future.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
So how do we determine if the NX will sound better than the GX?

By waiting until it's released and then trying it! Life was so much easier when a Steinway was a Steinway, and always would be.

mabraman, 2015
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

So I take it that you checked with the engineers on this issue? If indeed there is stretching in the CA63, the claim that there isn't any would bother me a bit, but practically it is fairly moot as it is minor and inaudible. I do take some issue with the noticeable looping and somewhat short note decay.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
Whatever claims are made on either side, if I can't tell the difference with my ears, I don't really care. AUDIBLE stretching/looping/layering is where the problem lies.

With the caveat that ears can, over time, be trained - intentionally or not - to hear things that they previously couldn't. And there's the rub for DP sound technology. We can't really know now what our ears will become wise to. I just wish they'd try harder at keeping mine satisfied long-term.

B
B
With regard to the CA63, I'd mentioned about the key action viz a viz the K6 side by side.

As far as the sound goes, the K6 was clearly superior and very pleasing with the sound resonating beautifully.

Dewster mentions about note decay in the CA63. The notes to the right of middle C decayed faster in about 8-9 seconds whereas the ones to the left held longer for about 12 seconds.

U
U
About the difference between PHA III and PHA III-S:
[PHA III] The keyboard also features Roland’s acclaimed Ivory Feel, a comfortable and realistic moisture-absorbent material that prevents slipping from perspiration during performance."
[PHA III-S] The surface of each white key replicates the unique appearance and comfortable feel of real ivory keys.

Could it be that in the PHA III-S, only white keys have the ivory feel, while black keys have the standard plastic feel?

Also, one wonders why they would bother calling the two keybeds differently if the only thing that changed was the color of the sides of the keys. Who even cares about that?

B
B
There's no reason to call the two actions by different names if only coloration is a factor. It would mean confusing your customer.

The RD-700NX (series) has better electronics and features to warrant a better price compared to the FP-7F (series).

I once again request someone who has tried out both PHAII and PHAII alpha to tell what difference is there between those two.

Brian

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Good point unpia.

Also, the V-Piano PHAIII text explicitly mentions ebony feel for the black keys. smile
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=978&ParentId=87

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 09/06/10 09:23 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bsl100

I once again request someone who has tried out both PHAII and PHAII alpha to tell what difference is there between those two.

Is the FP7 PHA II or PHA II alpha?

The FP7 uses PHAII.
The FP4 uses PHAII alpha.

James
x

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
FP7 has PHA II. I believe the alpha actions were reserved for the narrower, lighter weight boards. In the RD-300SX (which I have) it was called Compact Progressive Hammer Action, which was then changed to PHA II alpha in the RD-300GX. From that history, I doubt whether the FP7f action will differ much from the NX.

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Sorry, James, I was still typing (sleepily) when you posted.

mabraman, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster

So I take it that you checked with the engineers on this issue? If indeed there is stretching in the CA63, the claim that there isn't any would bother me a bit, but practically it is fairly moot as it is minor and inaudible. I do take some issue with the noticeable looping and somewhat short note decay.

Also to refresh your memory: your judging is incomplete (couldn't find an even friendlier word), because it is based on a basic CA63 factory setting, without dynamic voicing or string resonance. As you know, advanced custom piano presets for the CA93/CA63 include dynamic dual voice piano layering where there is no audible looping. Please be my guest and demonstrate that direct competitors like the Yamaha CLP and Roland HP series also support dynamic layering of acoustic piano voices. whistle yawn

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TADutchman
Also to refresh your memory: your judging is based on a basic CA63 factory setting, even without string resonance.

Have they fixed the no string resonance with MIDI playback issue that plagued all of the Kawai DPs I've tested (Roland HP-307 has similar issues)? That's the reason my testing was done that way. And the factory default main piano voice is what I routinely test as DP manufacturers generally put their best foot forward there.

Originally Posted by TADutchman
As you know, advanced custom piano presets for the CA93/CA63 include dynamic dual voice piano layering where no looping is audible at all. Please be my guest and demonstrate that Yamaha CLP and Roland HP series also support this dynamic layering of acoustic piano voices. yawn

1. I could layer two separate piano voices on our old P120 (not comparable?).
2. Roland SN doesn't really need this to sound good.

The idea of masking looping with more looping layered on top makes me kind of tired. I'm sure it helps the inherent lameness of looping, but to me it is firmly in the 2 * wrong != right category.

And before anyone thinks I'm singling out Kawai for ridicule here, I'm really not. James brought up the subject of minor stretching in the CA63/CN33 and again failed to clarify it with feedback from his own company. Since I can't read minds over at the Kawai engineering department I'm at a loss as to how to even discuss the issue.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The FP7 uses PHAII.
The FP4 uses PHAII alpha.

Well that proves my (previously stated) concern about assuming that all PHA III keyboard actions will be the same. This is not a valid assumption. Why do I say this? I say this because my experience is that not all PHA II actions are equal.

I play PHA II (FP7) and PHA II (HP-207 and RD-700GX). The FP7 is inferior, bottoms out much harder, is more fatiguing etc. They are not the same action, even if they have the same name designation. I enjoy the action far more on the RD and HP than the FP.

Some here are assuming that the NX PHA III action will be identical to that of V-Piano. Well, maybe -but I don't think you can make any assumptions about action.

The proof will be in the spanking - of the keys.

Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission