2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
I am getting annoyed with the performance of Classical pieces by the "Maestro Alexander Bui" kid on America's got talent.

First off, How does he get the title of Maestro, i thought that was reserved for conductors.

Second, he seems to have changed flight of the bumblebee into a "hip" style, which was a very bad performance.

Lastly, he said that this is THE hardest piano piece (i believe twice) and requires lots of time and effort on his part.

What's your opinion?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i thought it sounded sloppy.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
P
I thought he did what the judges wanted him to do. (although they probably don't know they wanted him to do this)
He attempted to dumb himself down for the American mainstream public.
He did but his classical career is over. IMHO Even though I don't think he would have had one seeing his talent level and his age, whatever chance he did have is gone.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Gotta love the interlocking octaves slow and uneven.

Wait, I stand corrected he just flubbed them.

Last edited by MikeN; 08/31/10 10:38 PM.
Originally Posted by Sean Lerkvikarn
What's your opinion?

That life is too short to watch "America's Got Talent."

laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
S
S
So what do you think, better or worse than last time? Eh, I think that there were a few more mistakes in his performance of the black key etude, but there were certainly a decent number this time as well.

Honestly, the way I see it -- if he can make it to the semifinals with "good but not great" piece selections and performances, then a fairly large portion of this community could probably win the million dollars. heck, I may try it myself in a year or two -- it would certainly be pretty easy to come up with a great setlist.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
What's your opinion?

laugh

Hear hear - go and practice, y'all. laugh

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, he seemed a bit more technically competent this time around.

I already settled why I'd never go on such a show. Sadly I don't think he thought the repercussions of going on such a show through. According to the bio on his account, he's actually interested in being a serious musician. Yea, somehow I think that going to be difficult.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What's your opinion?

laugh

+1 (and then some)
The kid is a prodigy though ya know wink

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
Wouldn't it be great if about 50 or so of the talented pianists from this forum go and flood America's got talent with... Classical? haha!

Somewhere Haochen Zhang is rolling his eyes at "Maestro" Bui.

"...music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig van Beethoven
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sorry, but I can't imagine him rolling his eyes. I imagine him laughing, but with the touring I doubt he has time to watch AGT.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Well played, it was an excellent choice, too.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What's your opinion?

laugh

thumb ... or TV in general...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

I watched the video and thought he is definitely good.

Problem is that he wants to get into the right scene for his desired profession but he has chosen to rub elbows with completely the wrong people. It wasn't a very good choice of venue to make his debute. Now he will probably have to do double duty to win respect from the right people.

The name he uses is kind of irritating too. It sounds rather arrogant as well as incorrect for his profession. He should have been himself rather than trying to pose as something more.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
He is appealing to the people that have the potential to win him $1 million, not to the picky classical crowd. Also, people here have advised him to do something flashy, a bit showy, and to play a familiar tune. He did all of that. What else you want him to do?

M
M
Well, he will be a novelty until he wears off. That's the problem with this sort of crowd. And everyone's right, he won't have an easy time being taken seriously by the classical community.

I actually have the sheet music for this rendition (I got it for free from a retiring teacher), and I can't say I liked it enough to bother working on it. It doesn't show that the pianist can do more than bang.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
R
I watched some of his youtube channel videos (Bach Bb, Mendelssohn Rondo Capriccioso) and I have to admit that he has potential to be a good musician. Also, if you only watch his videos from AGT - they don't do his playing any justice (i believe it's a mic-ed piano?).

However, and it might be a sign of his youth, he plays everything in a way that seems like he's trying too hard to impress others technically (i.e. tempos which are much too fast), and we lose clarity and actual musicality because of it (there's no real sense of character, phrasing, sensitivity, etc).

And I am very annoyed by his biography, especially the fact that he's chosen to label himself as a Maestro. It seems completely full of it.

I can understand that he wanted to appeal to the audience, especially for the chance to win a million dollars, but he really is making things harder on himself (if he truly wishes to become a classical musician).

C
C
Hi Guys,

I'm actually surprised Bui chose this piece. When I first tried to play this arrangement by Jack Fina, I thought it was a fun novelty piece. I've heard many renditions of this piece, with Liberace playing the most camp, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOyWTlH6iQE

being the best performance. But you know what, when Bui kicked it up a notch in the third part and double timed it, I thought -- yeah, he made it work.

I was also very impressed that he played the boogie bass line in triplets against straight-eights on the right. That stuff is hard.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission