Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
57 registered members (AZNpiano, ando, Charles Cohen, CharlesXX, 7uturu, bennevis, Avid, ChatNoir, 12 invisible), 1,165 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? #1505316
08/29/10 11:37 AM
08/29/10 11:37 AM
A
Afterthought Offline OP
Afterthought  Offline OP
A
I'm auditioning for this piano recital, and I have to audition with two contrasting pieces. I'll be playing Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, and Rachmaninoff's Etude in A minor, Op. 39, No. 6. I have to prove that Rach.'s etude is contrasting from Chopin's. I know that Rach. is a Romantic composer, but his Op. 38 songs and Op. 39 Etudes-Tableaux are very contemporary. He had been studying Scriabin and Prokofiev, especially when he had to perform Scriabin's works for memorial concerts.

What do you think? Are the pieces contrasting enough so that I won't be disqualified? And do you have any more reasons why the Op. 39 Etudes-Tableaux can be considered modern?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: Afterthought] #1505328
08/29/10 12:00 PM
08/29/10 12:00 PM
nova scotia
P
pilgrim Offline
pilgrim  Offline
P
nova scotia
how are scriabin and prokofiev 'contemporary'?

repertoire for the moment:
bach: prelude and fugue in b-, book i (WTC)
mozart - sonata in D+, k. 576
schumann (transc. liszt) - widmung
coulthard - image astrale
Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: pilgrim] #1505339
08/29/10 12:15 PM
08/29/10 12:15 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
Contrasting might be a slow piece and a fast piece. It could be stormy versus calm.

Contemporary should mean that the composer is alive, or at least has been alive during your lifetime.

Semipro Tech
Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: BDB] #1505353
08/29/10 12:39 PM
08/29/10 12:39 PM
not somewhere over the rainbow
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
No he's not modern. But it definitely contrasts Chopin because rachmaninoff is late romantic

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: Pogorelich.] #1505520
08/29/10 07:34 PM
08/29/10 07:34 PM
San Jose, CA
J
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jeffreyjones  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
San Jose, CA
I think Rachmaninoff gets unfairly dismissed as being too Romantic, when in fact his music has almost nothing in common with any of the great Romantic composers. He was too much of an individual to be drawn into a category. He used modern harmonic language with Asiatic influences, Wagnerian "endless melodies," and Impressionistic figurations.

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: jeffreyjones] #1505523
08/29/10 07:45 PM
08/29/10 07:45 PM
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yeah that's it. I can't really categorize him because he is too special..

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: Pogorelich.] #1505532
08/29/10 08:00 PM
08/29/10 08:00 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
I think you're treading a pretty thin line if you're hoping that judges will consider these pieces sufficiently contrasting. Yes, they contrast, but within a style that is quite similar.

There is about as much difference/similarity between these two as there is between the Chopin Etudes Op 10 Nos 12 and 4, except that they are by different composers.

Just my opinion, however ....

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: BruceD] #1505535
08/29/10 08:09 PM
08/29/10 08:09 PM
San Jose, CA
J
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jeffreyjones  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
San Jose, CA
Oh, I hadn't noticed that they're both virtuoso etudes. Doing two etudes is usually overkill. I would keep the Chopin and add something by a Classical era composer, but then, Beethoven is my strongest composer..

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: jeffreyjones] #1505553
08/29/10 08:45 PM
08/29/10 08:45 PM
C
Catenaires Offline
Catenaires  Offline
C
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I think Rachmaninoff gets unfairly dismissed as being too Romantic, when in fact his music has almost nothing in common with any of the great Romantic composers. He was too much of an individual to be drawn into a category. He used modern harmonic language with Asiatic influences, Wagnerian "endless melodies," and Impressionistic figurations.

+1. I've always seen Rachmaninov as a Neo-Romantic with some strong 'Modernist' tendencies. His language is certainly more modern than most people give him credit.

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: jeffreyjones] #1505558
08/29/10 08:49 PM
08/29/10 08:49 PM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Kreisler  Offline
Iowa City, IA
It depends on how wide/narrow your worldview is.

For people who understand piano music to encompass everything from William Byrd to Carl Vine, then you've picked two pieces that come out of the exact same tradition - 19th century virtuoso pianism.

Within that tradition, however, the pieces contrast quite a bit for all the reasons that have been stated.

It's a bit like comparing Orange Juice and Apple Juice. They're very, very different and offer a lot of contrast in the world of "juices," but in the world of "drinks," they're basically the same.

Or consider the art world. For some, Van Gogh and Degas are completely different. For others, they're both painters who painted rather familiar subjects. Neither was particularly abstract on the level of Picasso, Kandinsky or Klee; and if your view of "art" includes photography, installation work, performance art, manuscript illuminations of religious texts, "found object" art and ceramics/pottery, then Degas and Van Gogh are virtually identical.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: Pogorelich.] #1505597
08/29/10 09:49 PM
08/29/10 09:49 PM
Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Orange Soda King  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Pogorelich, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new obsession!! I played that piece... Have you played it? laugh laugh

Also, I would count him as a 20th century composer (for obvious reasons, haha) although he didn't compose in as radical a 20th century style as many others.

I mean, would you consider York Bowen ("English Rachmaninoff") romantic, too? He was even later, but also (often) composed in that passionate romantic sound that Rachmaninoff did. It even earned him the above nickname, hehe. smile

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: Orange Soda King] #1505658
08/29/10 11:40 PM
08/29/10 11:40 PM
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
No I haven't! God knows I can't afford to start anything new right now, with auditions coming up and stuff.. =( But I REALLY want to, believe me!!!! Is it awesome playing it?? I bet it is!!!

It's been stuck in my head for literally, weeks.

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: Pogorelich.] #1505668
08/29/10 11:48 PM
08/29/10 11:48 PM
Q
Quickster94 Offline
Quickster94  Offline
Q
Rachmaninoff is definitely not a simple "Romantic" composer. However, I think in terms of the competition, you'll be hard pressed to completely justify that your two pieces are "contrasting."

With the wealth of literature out there for piano, which other entrants will be accessing, these two works are really quite similar.

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: Catenaires] #1505752
08/30/10 02:44 AM
08/30/10 02:44 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Catenaires
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

+1. I've always seen Rachmaninov as a Neo-Romantic with some strong 'Modernist' tendencies. His language is certainly more modern than most people give him credit.

There's nothing very "neo" about it, because in his environment, there was no particular break between the Romantic period and what he was doing. If anything, it would more accurately described as "late-Romantic". I also think the tendencies to modernize his language were actually pretty modest. Certainly it can't be considered "modern" in the sense that his peers Stravinsky, Schoenberg, and Bartok are "modern". The majority of his music is still pretty anchored in the old tonal language, even if he ventures into some exoticism and a kind of near-Impressionistic tone-painting at times (but then, so did Liszt and Rimsky). Nearly all of his music ends on a good old tonic. I think even Debussy was more modern.

Re: Can some of Rachmaninoff's pieces be considered modern...? [Re: wr] #1506801
08/31/10 07:26 PM
08/31/10 07:26 PM
D
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dolce sfogato  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Despite all the fine nuances in the above mentioned, Rachmaninov is ( and I don't say 'should be') considered as a 'romantic' composer, as to technique and musical content, if anyone doubt this fact, they haven't been part of any competition or never left their continent, country, town, village, house, room... for auditions one should be aware of that fact, usually one is, or one is warned beforehand..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Korg SP-250 sounds only coming from headphones
by Chadley99. 08/16/18 10:33 PM
ABRSM piano guides
by alexcawley. 08/16/18 07:40 PM
Is my teacher pacing lessons to quickly?
by Avid. 08/16/18 05:55 PM
Baldwin SF-10 search & other info
by mypianos4evr. 08/16/18 05:52 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,926
Posts2,739,278
Members90,786
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission