2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by Mattardo
What's all this talk about non-legato and Bach?
As CPE says: 'Notes which are to be played legato must be held for their full length. A slur is placed above them...Tones which are neither detached, connected, nor fully held are sounded for half their value...Quarters and eighths in moderate and slow tempos are usually performed in this semidetached manner.'
Except a lot of the very great Bach players didn'/don't play in a very detatched way and even used quite a bit of pedal. Plus there's an awful lot of sixtenth notes or eighths not in slow tempos on Bach. PLus I think on CPE's pianos(with less sustain than a modern piano)there wouldn't be such a difference between notes held for their full value and those held for half their value.

Don't the manuscripts of Bach keyboard's work lack slurs and phrase marks altogether?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/30/10 06:08 PM.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Don't the manuscripts of Bach keyboard's work lack slurs and phrase marks altogether?
There's two Two-part Inventions with slurs for starters.

As CPE says: 'Notes which are to be played legato must be held for their full length........

Was CPE God? smile

Anyway.....IMO that little rule is usually true but it's not Gospel.
So to speak. smile

And those other rules you cited:
'.....ones which are neither detached, connected, nor fully held are sounded for half their value...Quarters and eighths in moderate and slow tempos are usually performed in this semidetached manner'.....

Many would say it's a mistake to take them as rules at all.

The last one at least has the benefit of being stated as "usually" rather than as an absolute -- but I'm not sure it's even "usually" true.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The instruments definately have something to do with it, but in the end - if someone can play Schumann, they should be able to play some Mozart.
So if you can drive a Trabant you should be able to handle a Ferrari?

I had to google that strange car you're referencing!

I guess the comparison works. You may have to spend some time learning the little quirks of each car, and how to best drive each one - but these nuanced and individually tailored things come after learning how to steer, acclerate and brake, and avoiding pedestrians (if that's you're thing).

Awesome:
[Linked Image]

So which one's the Trabant and which one's the Ferrari? >:)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
As CPE says: 'Notes which are to be played legato must be held for their full length........

Was CPE God? smile

Anyway.....IMO that little rule is usually true but it's not Gospel.
So to speak. smile

And those other rules you cited:
'.....ones which are neither detached, connected, nor fully held are sounded for half their value...Quarters and eighths in moderate and slow tempos are usually performed in this semidetached manner'.....

Many would say it's a mistake to take them as rules at all.

The last one at least has the benefit of being stated as "usually" rather than as an absolute -- but I'm not sure it's even "usually" true.

Amen, brother!
His advice on 'taste' is much more valuable than some of his more pedantic, period-instrument-based rules (and very informative they are when appropriate). Luckily, 'taste' should prohibit modern pianists from treating their lovely instruments as glorified harpsichords. smile
Should.... frown

I had to google that strange car....

Me2. And a lot about it is interesting.

Main thing I got out of it: smile
(from Wiki)

".....Since it could take years (usual waiting time 15 years) for a Trabant to be delivered from the time it was ordered, people who finally got one were very careful with it and usually became skillful in maintaining and repairing it. The lifespan of an average Trabant was 28 years....."

So maybe if you've been into one of those, you could also handle a Ferrari! ha
Or anything.

P.S. Check out that part about "usual waiting time 15 years"!!
It was basically a 'Communist car' (East German).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I had to google that strange car....

Me2. And a lot about it is interesting.

Main thing I got out of it: ha
(from Wiki)

".....Since it could take years (usual waiting time 15 years) for a Trabant to be delivered from the time it was ordered, people who finally got one were very careful with it and usually became skillful in maintaining and repairing it. The lifespan of an average Trabant was 28 years....."

So maybe if you've been into one of those, you could also handle a Ferrari! ha
Or anything.

P.S. Check out that part about "usual waiting time 15 years"!!
It was basically a 'Communist car' (East German).

One of the links said:
How do you double the value of a Trabant?

Fill up the tank!!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
My piano teacher's brother once said that if you could play Mozart, you could play anything. I'm inclined to agree.....I'm less terrified by the Hammerklavier, Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto, anything, than the thought of playing any Mozart sonata. The transparency makes any imperfection incredibly visible, and it's just so difficult. I agree with Pogorelich when she says she feels naked playing their works, cause I feel the same way.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Here is Quantz: 'You must avoid slurring notes that ought to be artculated, and articulating those that ought to be slurred. The notes must not seem stuck together. The tonging on wind instruments, and the bowing on bowed instruments, must always be used in conformity with the aims of the composer, in accordance with his indications of slurs and strokes; this puts life into the notes. [Articulation of this sort] distinguishes these instruments from the bagpipe, which is played without tonguing.' But hey, who was Quantz anyway?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Generally, Classical and Baroque consists of scales and close intervals, whereas much of Romantic and later music has larger leaps and arpeggios.

I'm smiling as I hear in my mind the prelude in D minor from WTC 1 with its wicked fast right hand broken chord pattern and its jumping around left hand. smile

Why wicked fast? There's no tempo indication, after all. I actually don't like it all that fast.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
But hey, who was Quantz anyway?
The flutist??
Anyway, I play a lot of Mozart, and in general I limit my arm weight and rely more on my fingers. The Taubman training I received really helped me clean up my Mozart, especially all those runs.

Bach...it depends on the piece. My view on Bach is, since he didn't write for the piano, I'm interpreting how he would have played if he had played on the modern grands. Some large-scale pieces (like the Preludes in the suites) would call for more orchestral colors, while the 2-part writings would be played like two instruments having a conversation.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Here's Leopold Mozart: 'Similarly, from the sixth and seventh chapters is to be seen how greatly the slurring
and detaching distinguishes a melody. Therefore not only must the written
and prescribed slurs be observed with the greatest exactitude but when, as in many a composition, nothing at all is indicated, the player must himself know how to apply the slurring and detaching tastefully and in the right place.'

Quite obviously a non-legato style; point being the difficulty in Bach and Mozart of having to judge how to articulate every note and carry it out on the hoof.

Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Generally, Classical and Baroque consists of scales and close intervals, whereas much of Romantic and later music has larger leaps and arpeggios.

I'm smiling as I hear in my mind the prelude in D minor from WTC 1 with its wicked fast right hand broken chord pattern and its jumping around left hand. smile

Why wicked fast? There's no tempo indication, after all. I actually don't like it all that fast.

My error. I thought 'major' and typed 'minor.'

M
M
Interesting. Every teacher I've had has advocated non-legato. Of course, decisions must be made as to which notes are non-legato. Alfred's editions of Inventions & Sinfonias as well as WTC have many suggestions to match this. I think the toughest part of playing Baroque music is playing the articulations.

And I agree that playing Baroque or Classical music leaves the performer more "exposed". I think this is due to the above as well as the fact that pedaling is often direct rather than syncopated/legato.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Don't worry about it. smile It doesn't make you a bad player, it just means that you need more work on your Classical/Baroque interpretation. It can be achieved, with loads of practise. To play the earlier styles is very hard, they have an extremely clean and crisp sound. Practise. smile

Currently working on...
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu in C sharp minor Op.66
Mozart - Piano Sonata in E flat K.282
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think playing Bach or Mozart leaves you so exposed!! Very little pedal or rubato, almost impossible to camouflage a mistake or getting lost. All of the key changes and voicing that must be so well thought out and clear. Very very different than the Romantic era. Just takes a lot of miles and playing for friends where you won't collapse if you mess up.

Musica 71
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
in the baroque and early classical repertoire, say Scarlatti through Bach, Haydn and Mozart (and the likes) there's no hiding from mistakes in technique/temperament, every unevenness will be blatently clear, one can't hide behind pedal/other notes/big sound, this is reaaly the moment of truth: if you're good, no problem, if there's the slightest hesitation tech./musically, you're done with, that's why Domenico has that extra letter in his surname: Scarelatti...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
M
M
Scarelatte? Is that like a phobia of starbucks? :P

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
it's a fobia of hitting wrong notes too loudly and not playing in style, and of getting one's ands caught in one's sleeves..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
.....yes, and I think there's another factor:

In the Romantic period, the piano composers started writing with much more consideration of how things "fall in the hand." Before that, it was more just "pure music" that happened to be on a keyboard.

Y'all don't have to tell me that this isn't absolute; I know it isn't. But to the extent that it's true, it means that the pre-19th century music is just plain harder to play evenly and musically -- in addition to the other factors that have been mentioned.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission