2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
You meant Korg SP170.

Yes, the newer one that just came out. It's the only one you are likely to find in store anyway.

The frequent question "What $500 DP should I buy?" is the easiest to answer. The Casio or the Korg are the only options. It is much harder to answer when they say "I have a $2,500 budget."

I don't consider keyboards with spring driven keys "pianos" at all. They are electronic keyboard and can make piano-like sounds. Pianos by definition have hammers.

R
ryanpb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by LaRate
Well... since you're on a budget here, I would try my luck with the simple MIDI-interface and the ASIO4All driver. Maybe you are able to get a good compromise between latency and sound glitches with your sound chip.

If it doesn't work, you can go the audio interface route any time later. These things start at $120 (PCI), $180 (USB) or $300 (Firewire) respectively.

So, you think with that interface, and that driver, everything should work fine?

Originally Posted by ryanpb

So, you think with that interface, and that driver, everything should work fine?

Chances are not too bad that it will. However, some configurations can make problems - it depends on a variety of factors such as soundchip, other hardware (CPU/RAM/HDD), the used virtual instrument and your system configuration (i.e. how good your OS is tweaked toward audio jobs, disabled programs and services and the like). This whole MIDI-PC stuff needs considerable tweaking before it works properly (unless you're on a Mac - there it's pretty much plug and play, however they do that).

So no guarantee there, but it's definitely worth a try before investing a three-digit sum in audio equipment that might be overkill for what you'll want to do.

J
J
Hello!

This is my first time writing here but i really need help.

I'm about to buy a digital piano that is as close to an acoustic piano as possible. I have played classical piano for 11 years and now i have to move to a smaller apartment and I need to get a DP. My budget is about 1500-2500€. I dont' need any fancy sounds or effects, just a good piano sound!

My problem is that I live in Finland and here there are like no Kawai DPs here. I mean i can't try the new models CA63/93. I tried Roland's HP305 and HP307. They felt pretty nice for a DP but the sound on the lower notes was simply horrible. There were a lot of unnatural "humming" and the sound was just unnatural. It felt like you'd need like an equalizer that would give less bass. I tried to put off the weight-thing-thingy and then i got some decent piano sounds from the lower notes but you can't really play with that thing off.

So my questions are:
Is it possible to adjust the amount of bass on HP305?
How is the sound and touch on those Kawais?
Could anyone recommend any other DP on that price range?

My english isnt very good..

R
ryanpb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by LaRate

Chances are not too bad that it will. However, some configurations can make problems - it depends on a variety of factors such as soundchip, other hardware (CPU/RAM/HDD), the used virtual instrument and your system configuration (i.e. how good your OS is tweaked toward audio jobs, disabled programs and services and the like). This whole MIDI-PC stuff needs considerable tweaking before it works properly (unless you're on a Mac - there it's pretty much plug and play, however they do that).

So no guarantee there, but it's definitely worth a try before investing a three-digit sum in audio equipment that might be overkill for what you'll want to do.

Do you guys think the Korg SP250 sounds better then the PX130?

In your opinion..

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Do you guys think the Korg SP250 sounds better then the PX130?

Both companies have posted product pages that include sound samples.

R
ryanpb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What do you guys think about the pX330 in relation to my concerns?

It is A LOT more with the whole set up then the SP250..

Wow, this has been a tough choice..

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A

It will do what the px-130 does, plus it adds a lot more sounds, more features, "real" MIDI connectors instead of USB

R
ryanpb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by anotherscott

It will do what the px-130 does, plus it adds a lot more sounds, more features, "real" MIDI connectors instead of USB

SO it has both?

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott

SO it has both?

Yes, sorry for my poor phrasing, it has both.

R
ryanpb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
You probably figured out i posted on that other board.

I played the YPG-635, the keys felt quite light. But it had many voices. Its a little bit more that I wanted to spend. But what about the px330 compared to that? Does it feel the same?

Also, would I be able to use the px330 for midi use? for example, can i change a sound with my computer? or play a midi sound thats on the computer through the keyboard?

Please let me know..

prob my last question.

ryanpb;

From Casio Web Site (http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Privia_Digital_Pianos/PX-330/)said that you can use it as midi:

"Performance, Studio or Stage:
The superior keyboard action, piano sound and built-in USB MIDI interface make the PX-330 the perfect instrument to integrate into your studio. When you’re ready to take the PX-330 to a gig, the built-in registration memory allows you to instantly recall splits, layers and combinations of sounds. The PX-330 also has 1/4” outputs for great live sound from your amp or the house’s PA system."

Last edited by virtu; 08/29/10 08:52 PM.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-- Albert Einstein
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
I played the YPG-635, the keys felt quite light. ... But what about the px330 compared to that? Does it feel the same?

I don't know if they feel the same because I've never played that Yamaha. However that Yamaha does have a graded touch which means, by design it will feel pretty light at the top, and then heavier as you get closer to the bottom.

Also, would I be able to use the px330 for midi use? for example, can i change a sound with my computer? or play a midi sound thats on the computer through the keyboard?

The PX330 has USB MIDI and it also had traditional MIDI In and Out ports. So yes, you can hook it up to your computer, using either method.

R
ryanpb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Ok, Thanks a lot man. I think im going with the PX330. I really cant afford the yamaha...Im stretching it with the px as it is..

So thanks for all your assistance.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission