Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Beemer, anotherscott, 2Keys, butchkoch, bluebikes6, Akash, 14 invisible), 1,003 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#150565 - 07/27/05 01:15 AM Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
bassoprofundo Offline
bassoprofundo  Offline

So, after going through the birthing pains of finding a piano that suits your esthetics both in touch, tone and perhaps to a lesser degree visually (and perhaps budget) does it live up to your expectations? After owning for a while and becoming more intimate with your instrument, are you still in love?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#150566 - 07/27/05 05:18 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Rich Galassini Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rich Galassini  Online Content

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Good thread!

Just an observation, but I have found that some folks that are very sensitive to touch and tone have a love/hate relationship the first year or so as their piano "finds its own". These people can sense the day-to-day changes that occur in their instruments (which are bigger when the piano is new) and it can really bother them.

I look forward to hear some perspectives.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Check out the Science Channel's "How Its Made" featuring our piano restoration:
http://www.cunninghampiano.com/how-its-made/
#150567 - 07/27/05 06:05 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member
mikhailoh  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Cincinnati
I'm one of those people Rich. Actually last night around 11 I was taking my two trouble keys and checking damper height to see if that could be causing the dull tone.. very slight, mind you, but enough to set me off.

But does my piano live up to my expectations? Oh yes.. after a year, and playing more and more pianos it has actually exceeded them, has improved my playing immensely and brought me great joy.

Tuning has been very stable as well, but then I have pretty consistent temp/RH.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
#150568 - 07/27/05 07:33 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
hgiles Offline
500 Post Club Member
hgiles  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Charlottesville Virginia
I have only had my piano about a month. It seems lately the thing has grown so much in the bass and volume.

There wasn't quite a disparity when the hood was down now it seems the thing absolutely roars when it is opened up. Could this be my imagination?

As far as the tone goes -- well it's out of tune (mostly lower bass and high treble) and is ready for a tuning, but I can still get some wonderful and amazing sounds out of the mid range. The midrange of this instrument has always been nothing short of spectacular. And yes, it's getting better everyday!

The one shortcoming is the delicate lacquer finish. It seems as if I see a new scratch every time I look for one...I wish I had gotten satin (or had it offered in polyester). The smallest scratch or blemish just gives me nightmares!

[Linked Image]

Haywood
-------------
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#150569 - 07/27/05 09:21 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Great thread! I hope it garners many responses.

In my case, the piano I have at home is a 1926 Chickering 5'8" Grand with an original Ampico Reproducing System, all completely restored.

It surpassed my expectations so significantly that it is the only pianoi I own (of some 200) that is not for sale!

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
#150570 - 07/27/05 09:38 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
I. Bruton Offline
500 Post Club Member
I. Bruton  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Raleigh
I have become less pleased with the high treble on my piano over the years. As of late, it doesn't hold its tuning as well. I attribute this to the heat and A/C problems in my church's Sanctuary over the last winter and until recently, this summer. I'm actually debating moving it home (as soon as we can get a room to put it in).

I. Bruton
B.A. Music Composition
M.M. Music Education
High School Choral Director
Church Music Director
Pianos owned: Yamaha C3
Pianos at work: Yamaha P22, Kawai K3, Steinway B
#150571 - 07/27/05 09:39 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member
kathyk  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Maine
Mine was circa 1995. So, when I bought it two years ago, it was already nicely seasoned. I love it more now than when I bought it as I've grown acclimated to its sound in my living room.

[Linked Image]

#150572 - 07/27/05 10:23 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Sir Lurksalot Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sir Lurksalot  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Still in love after one year, but I wish it didn't play so many wrong notes wink

#150573 - 07/27/05 10:28 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Helene Offline
Helene  Offline

Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
Yes! I bought my piano 11 years ago -- a rebuilt Steinway O, and every single day I feel grateful and lucky to have this beautiful piano. I chose it for its beautiful sound and responsive action and am still happy with both. A few months ago I had the hammers filed (they were cut into from 11 years of playing and the tone had gotten much too bright), and that restored the original rich (but clear tone).

#150574 - 07/27/05 10:53 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
beandoc Offline
beandoc  Offline

Victoria, BC
Yes, and more. It's my first piano and I loved it from the get go. Still, after it was in my home a couple months, I found a few keys more to my liking than others and the action was less smooth across all keys.

Tunings every few months helped.

Then, after having the piano 18 months, my tech and I spoke about voicing. The piano had clearly 'settled in' and had brightened up a little, even after such a short time. Two months ago he spent about 4 or 5 hours on my piano working on voicing and regulation. The action was smoothed out over the entire keyboard and he subtly softened the brightness through voicing. All I can say is "WOW!!"

Hearing and feeling my piano mature has been one of the surprise benefits of owning it.

J

John, Eh

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Bonzai
#150575 - 07/27/05 11:05 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
bassoprofundo Offline
bassoprofundo  Offline

Exactly Rich thumb

Some days really enamored, other days can be luke warm..........not unlike marriage!!! laugh
And yes, hgiles, high gloss shows all the little scratches (my wife teaches piano and the little darlings can't keep their hands off it mad )

And yes, Mik, sometimes you get those 1 or 2 notes that can stick out slightly...in the summer here...my wife does not notice but I do........then couple of days later can't detect it. Drives you crazy. (of course it can't be my technique wink )

Don't get me wrong, my Steigerman keeps a very stable tuning and in my mind the tone is becoming warmer..settled....still satisfied with the action. The heat this summer has been a bugger though and can detect changes in tone from time to time.

Great responses, let's keep it going.....one never knows if one will get a second piano.

Question from an amateur:

So what keeps the love affair alive........is it tone or action, or can you seperate the two? I have played pianos with great actions but the tone has left me cold. Yes, I know you can voice, but eventually the real personality will surface. Funny........, pianos can be like people laugh

#150576 - 07/27/05 11:58 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
William Wilder Offline
William Wilder  Offline

I have only had my new AF190 for just over two weeks. (BTW, I was thrilled with the dealer's handling of the sale but I'll save the specific kudos for another thread to avoid sending this one on a tangent.)

Even though my new baby is acclimating (and regulation, voicing and tuning change a bit everyday) I'm loving it. The action is like silk and seems to respond even before I tell it to. The bass tone has AF's reputed power and clarity, but the treble is clear and floating and not at all overpowered. The AF190 was a bit harder on my wallet than my original goal, but so far, I'm feeling like this was one of the best purchases I've ever made. It'll be interesting to revisit this question in a year, and in a decade.

Great post!!

#150577 - 07/27/05 12:05 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Ancient Upright Offline
Ancient Upright  Offline

I like mine more now than when I bought it a few months ago. I wasn't expecting it to be such a nice piano. smile

Remember, I'm pullin for you, we're all in this together
-From a TV Show
#150578 - 07/27/05 03:26 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
dpvjazz Offline
dpvjazz  Offline

phoenix az
MY PETROF GRAND 7"9" WAS DELIVERED JULY 5 AND I JUST HAD MY FIRST TUNING JULY 26TH. I AM MORE PLEASE THAN EVER WITH THE TONE AND ACTION. I WILL CONTINUE TO LET YOU KNOW THROUGH OUT THE FIRST YEAR WHAT MY EXPERIENCES ARE.

#150579 - 07/27/05 03:57 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
JCS Offline
JCS  Offline

Aurora, Colorado
Had my Mason double B for about a year and a half now. The deep bass has turned into a nuclear bomb. Its impressive. This thing is so full and powerful its fantastic. It's like driving a 747. The first 6 months it changed and got a wee bit brighter. Gotta love the fundamental tone of a Mason. I can't imagine a piano with more ego and power. I really love it.

#150580 - 07/27/05 06:05 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
pianodevo Offline
500 Post Club Member
pianodevo  Offline
500 Post Club Member

After 2.5 years my Grotrian grand (the 225) has even exceeded the high expectations I had.

A really super instrument!

pianodevo
#150581 - 07/27/05 06:11 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Eins Offline
500 Post Club Member
Eins  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Utah
Yes, great thread! How can we motivate more members to tell the full truth, not just the nice parts?

I'll start. When I selected my Perzina early April, I didn't play piano yet. So, all I could do was listen to my friend play, and try some simple chords myself, other than making sure all keys produced a sound.

Today, almost four months and several tunes later, I notice sounds I didn't hear before. Some metallic buzzes on three of the 88 keys. A high pitch resonance after playing two other keys. I have gone through two tunings now and installed a Dampp-Chaser after the last. Like hgiles, I find swirl mark rings everywhere, even though I swear I never made circular wipes there. The keys are too big, I can only play a ninth, and that is stretching it. The pedals are a bit too high for me. It would be more comfortable to play them wearing my wife's heels, but she won't let me.

Other than that, it is still the sweet roaring music maker that enticed me when I first heard it played. The action has gotten better (it received some TLC by the tuning technicians). In my native language, I would call it 'like butter', so soft and smooth, yet with body and resistance where needed.

Since I installed the Dampp-Chaser (DIY within 15 minutes), it has been very stable, staying in tune. That first tuning only lasted a day or a few (and may have been a lousy job).

Did I mention the smell? Every morning when I come downstairs, it gives me a high me with its new-piano smell of woods, felts and laquer. When I come home after work, it lures me over to its cloud of sweet smell. People rave about the new-car smell. They have never owned a new piano!

Would I still recommend this Perzina? Yes, I would, and even more than at first. Every time someone with better skills than mine plays it, it sounds like a million dollars. I'm working on getting beyond that two-keys-at-a-time stage, into that twenty-five-finger stage (or so it sounds), to forget about its little buzzes and resonances. BTW, next I'll have a REAL technician take a look. One that I'll be paying, not the store, and he will take his time to work out the remaining kinks. After what embarrassingly little I paid for this gem, it can only be peanuts.

There, peanut butter.

PS: I was lying about the heels. Not only doesn't my wife have any, I don't even have a wife.

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
#150582 - 07/27/05 06:12 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
TheloniousPunk Offline
500 Post Club Member
TheloniousPunk  Offline
500 Post Club Member

US
Foolishly bought a Schulze-Pollmann 197, sight-unseen. Paid something like 5% over cost. Had been studying piano for about three months at the time.

No regrets whatsoever. I know that makes me lucky, not smart. I've had little minor problems with the piano, but the sound is wonderful, and the instrument gets nothing but compliments, even when I play it.

#150583 - 07/27/05 07:24 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member
kenny  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hmm
Mason and Hamlin BB, circa 2001, or 2002.

99% of me LOVES this piano.

It has one thing I don't like and can't get used to. . . The price.
I still have a roof that leaks and needs replacement.
The electrical on my house is still original 1928 tube-and-wire, a real fire hazard.
I blame the Mason and Hamlin Companies.
When I touched that first M+H A in Tustin, I was hooked.
It is not fair or right that the Bush administration allows them to make pianos that are so seductive, addictive and makes us lose our minds.

#150584 - 07/27/05 07:32 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
ssdavis48 Offline
ssdavis48  Offline

San Diego
When I bought my piano I wasn't looking for love. All I needed was something to get me through the next five years until I retire an move back to the Phila. area.

I found an old Kawai upright that felt good, sounded good, and looked good. The price was right so I bought it. That was last September and I have had no regrets.

The tech who tuned it said it was fine. One key (C below middle C) sticks from time to time and G and A in the octave above middle C emit a strange ringing sometimes, but other than that I it's wonderful. Also it compliments my synthesizer very well.

When I retire I will be in the market for the house I love, the car I love, and the piano I love.

--------------------------------
Stuart
19sixty-something Kawai upright
Yamaha S90 Synth
#150585 - 07/27/05 07:47 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BeeLady  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Massachusetts
I took in a stray and got the love of my life! 3hearts

And that was before we had it rebuilt! :p

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
#150586 - 07/27/05 09:48 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Auntie Lynn  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

San Francisco, CA
Totally surpassed - it's like a great husband...

...maybe even better!

#150587 - 07/27/05 11:41 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Nina  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, AZ
My piano (a Pleyel 130 upright) is very French... both good and bad! wink

It's very, very capable of a full range of big, big sound. It has a bass that rivals any big grand that I could afford (OK, not quite a Bosie, but OTOH a Bosie will never be in my living room...). It makes me sound a lot better than I really am, and is honestly the best upright I've ever played.

At the same time, he's a little persnickety and can sometimes be a complete jerk. All that performance is high-maintenance, like every French man I've ever met. The piano is very sensitive to environmental changes--I've never had a Dampp Chaser but will be buying one this fall. I tune about 3x per year, and the piano needs it. OTOH, it has such a clear, uncluttered tone that it may also be that I can simply hear it going out of tune more easily.

I frankly am thrilled with 95% of my piano. The remaining 5% is more than manageable, and I think it gives my piano character. We definitely have a relationship! Je suis dans l'amour. Il me rend heureux! smile

#150588 - 07/28/05 01:22 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
w50 Offline
w50  Offline

Singapore
It'a been 1 week so I can hardly comment on much - it's still honeymoon phase here. Love the rich bass, warm tones and ringing trebles that first captured me about this piano, can't wait till it fully settles in and get the little niggles sorted out.

#150589 - 07/28/05 02:02 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
AndyD Offline
AndyD  Offline

piano enthusiast
#150590 - 07/28/05 04:57 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jon-nyc  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

NY
I got my Bosendorfer 200 (6'7") in March, so its been 4 months. I think I'm still in the honeymoon stage because I can't find a thing to complain about. It grows on me more and more each day.

But I can say I never had an ounce of buyers remorse, which is pretty remarkable for me.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
#150591 - 07/28/05 08:16 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member
mamma2my3sons  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Midwest of the great USA
I've been very happy with my new Kohler & Campbell 5'9" grand in high polished ebony.

Initially there were a few kinks (excessive action noise in the high treble, nasal sounding note, sostenuto not working for a few notes, squeaking pedal) I've since had a very good tech go over the piano in detail & it plays just beautifully. Very responsive with a wonderful warm rich tone, that I've grown to enjoy more & more. As I said in another thread, it also maintains tune very well despite still being in its "acclimating" period.

Of course it will never be a Shigeru Kawai (tried one yesterday-wow, but $$!) However there are also quite a few other pianos out there that are much less quality & price wise than my K & C . ...

Another detail that is very important to our family's way of living-- my K & C is paid for! laugh

#150592 - 07/28/05 10:39 AM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Eins Offline
500 Post Club Member
Eins  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Utah
Originally posted by Nina:
My piano (a Pleyel 130 upright) is very French... both good and bad! wink
How did you do the reversal of An American In Paris? Do they sell Pleyel in this country? I'd be tempted to look out for one, just for curiosity.

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
#150593 - 07/28/05 12:55 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
patr Offline
patr  Offline

california
I just got my Boston GP163 for a month. It has been a little squeak problem in the pedal. But after 2 visits from Steinway technician, the squeak is gone for good. Few days ago I heard some buzz in A flat an octave lower middle C, but it seemed to disappear on yesterday. Other than these, I love this piano so much.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a GP 215. I like to have my piano around 6' but my place is very small. Even with my 5'4'', it is quite loud. I only open a full lid when I play at noon when my neighbors are gone for work smile

Patr

#150594 - 07/28/05 03:39 PM Re: Has your piano lived up to your expectations  
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Deleted - wrong thread!!

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642 www.eliteheritagepianos.ca Edmonton, Alta dealers for Estonia,
Brodmann 780-405-8908
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A flying concert grand piano - fun!
by Rich Galassini. 01/21/18 07:38 AM
Melville Clark Apollo Grand - What to do?
by PGA Rick. 01/20/18 11:09 PM
Wanted: Verituner 100
by Will Horne. 01/20/18 10:30 PM
Help - rhythm
by Moo :). 01/20/18 07:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,889
Posts2,689,046
Members89,486
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission