2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by areiser
I would just like to point out that whether you are playing Classical or Romantic repertoire, the mechanism of the instrument and the anatomy of the body does not change. If you have a healthy technique, you will have enough control at the piano to create a wide range of sounds that are appropriate for different periods.
Your general statement doesn't take into account hand size. I've got decent technique but no matter how much better I get, my hands won't get any bigger.

Best regards,

Deborah
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Your general statement doesn't take into account hand size. I've got decent technique but no matter how much better I get, my hands won't get any bigger.

Ever seen a suit of armour? They're tiny. Even WWI German and Austrian helmets were tiny, like they were made for kids.

Back in the 1600's, people were tiny wee things with tiny hands and wee little fingers.

So trying to play Bach for us moderns is often like trying to squeeze your foot into a child's shoe- something only a tiny, wee person is really suited to do.

Big people should stick with Schumann and Rachmaninoff, whose hands had evolved, somewhat.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, people were smaller. We have very detailed evidence for this from places like British military records from the 1600s onward. But it's a leap to argue

1. that 'they' had tiny, wee little fingers, and

2. that the keyboardists of the day had an average hand size,

ergo

3. modern players should avoid playing Baroque work and stick to more modern stuff.

I am far more convinced that the difficulties we have with Baroque work are driven by differences in the instruments played than with morphological changes in the human body. Successful fortepianists and harpsichord players today are not necessarily wee, tiny little things with wee little fingers.

Scottish, are wee? smile

About Bach's hand span: this is pulled off the web from another forum. I cannot vouch for its accuracy. Perhaps Kreisler can offer more definitive evidence. But this offers some reasons for not thinking too hard about tiny Baroque hand spans. His hands seemed perfectly normally sized by modern standards (reaching a decent tenth on a modern keyboard).

< In my reading, I have never come across claim or any reliable evidence of this. > [this was an earlier question about Bach's supposedly large hands, to which this poster offers a response]

Guess you'll need to go read more. smile The gushing tribute about this, by CFD Schubart in 1784-5, is on page 369 of the New Bach Reader or #903 in Bach-Dokumente III. It says Bach could reach a twelfth with the left hand and play other stuff with the middle fingers in this,
simultaneously.

However, that remark, being only about the left hand, has me a bit suspicious (and I jotted a marginal note to myself in my copy of NBR, some years ago). On instruments with short-octave basses, that's only the span of a tenth since the lowest notes are playing a third lower than they look. It's still a decent-sized span. Was Schubart referring to fully-chromatic instruments all the way down, or possibly to somebody's recollection of a performance on a short-octave? There's a bunch of 17th century stuff, and on into Reincken, that can't be played as written unless there's a short-octave bass.

Bach didn't write anything [to my hands' knowledge from playing all of it] in his keyboard music requiring more than a tenth, other than the trick from the D minor English Suite that I've already mentioned, plus the one spot in Contrapunctus 13 where one somehow has to play low G, middle C#, and high Bb. And that one works decently enough arpeggiated. (Like the way violinists have to arpeggiate passages that look on the page like three- or four-string chords.)

< Remember also that the octave span on normal keyboards available in Bach's time was a little less than that normally found on a modern grand piano. >
Define "normal" -- but in general I agree with the rest of that statement, other than "normal" not existing. Sometimes the spans were smaller (some French and some German), sometimes they were about the same as a modern grand, and sometimes they were larger (some Flemish and Italian). 18th century French harpsichords averaged about 159mm to the octave, while modern piano is 164 or 165. Some of the Couchets were 167 or bigger.

Bach allegedly liked the layout of a Mietke harpsichord that was slightly narrower than the typical French size...which would make it somewhere in the high 150s. That's a bit of a circumstantial argument (albeit a weak one) for not having abnormally large hands.

Narrower spans on the keyboard don't necessarily make it easier to play, anyway. They create different problems, in needing to keep the motions small and having less margin of error. My harpsichords here have 164, and reed organ at 162...but my clavichord has only 157. That much of a difference makes it harder to play, and not only from habit. The 7-mm reduction per octave still doesn't let me reach any comfortable eleventh, or make any of the tenths much better either, but it does make the tightly confined hand positions more treacherous than on 164.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Perhaps the OP is just nervous, knowing that one little mistake with Bach or Mozart can be very revealing, as opposed to later music where the occasional mistake can crop in and it doesn't necesarrily stand out so much?

A missed note with Mozart can bring the entire piece crumbling down - I find that this can really intimidate some pianists.

My quick advice would be to try to relax. Tension can cause more mistakes in Mozart and Bach than any other technical shortcoming, I believe. Depending on the way in which they are played, we do not have the normal crutches that give us a little bit of mental support while playing. It can appear as if we are approaching a stark, clean, barren musical exercise in which we must try to inject some musical feeling. I don't feel this way anymore, but I did at one time.

Now I play Mozart and Bach for the modern piano and am not so apprehensive about them, and I feel much better about the tension. Have some fun while doing it. Allow yourself to take some liberties with the two composers - throw in some extra ornaments, use some pedal, vary the rhythm in places - you might just find that this extra bit of freedom gives you the courage and skill to deal with the piece on it's fundamental un-onramented level when the time comes to 'play by the so-called book'.

it might make the OP more comfortable to practice without pedal...for a while. the music will sound lush and melodic when the pedal returns.

I enjoy bach immensely. it is so rewarding to learn because it is difficult. to get in the groove, the first four preludes of WTC I are great teaching pieces. I also rely on 'listening' as i learn. I put the pieces on my ipod and become intimately familiar with the twists and turns of melody... even going so far as to play along with the recording. Have a listen to the immense organ works that Bach wrote and you can glimpse the breadth of his vision.

best of luck.

Last edited by apple*; 08/30/10 08:03 AM.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
M
M
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I use a totally different technique for Bach and Mozart than for Chopin. For Bach and Mozart curled fingers and tips all in a row, for Chopin a naturally curved hand.

That's your choice, and that's fine. But I know of no good evidence that using a technique designed for the particular action of a harpsichord or fortepiano necessarily gives better results than a more contemporary technique as it has evolved on the modern piano with its stiffer feel and double escapement action. Mimic a Baroque keyboardist at the harpsichord if you wish, but do not presume without good argument or evidence, that that approach makes for the best sounding fugue on a modern instrument.

PianoDad, I don't think kbk's approach is wrong. The reason he plays this way is not because of the period instrument,s but because of the content of the music.

Generally, Classical and Baroque consists of scales and close intervals, whereas much of Romantic and later music has larger leaps and arpeggios. When playing scales, the hand is more condensed and it works better if you go with this by having a more curved and uniform hand. Romantic, however, because of the larger intervals requires a flatter hand approach.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by apple*
it might make the OP more comfortable to practice without pedal...for a while. the music will sound lush and melodic when the pedal returns.

I enjoy bach immensely. it is so rewarding to learn because it is difficult. to get in the groove, the first four preludes of WTC I are great teaching pieces. I also rely on 'listening' as i learn. I put the pieces on my ipod and become intimately familiar with the twists and turns of melody... even going so far as to play along with the recording. Have a listen to the immense organ works that Bach wrote and you can glimpse the breadth of his vision.

best of luck.

I agree, apple. I think that Bach and Mozart (but especially Bach) are great for keeping one's "chops" up. If one plays too much Romantic stuff, their accuracy tends to diminish. At times when I've been away from the piano for a few weeks on trips, when I return the best thing for me to do is pull out some Bach to get myself back into shape.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Generally, Classical and Baroque consists of scales and close intervals, whereas much of Romantic and later music has larger leaps and arpeggios.

I'm smiling as I hear in my mind the prelude in D minor from WTC 1 with its wicked fast right hand broken chord pattern and its jumping around left hand. smile

Yes I agree that the hand naturally falls differently when playing scalar runs in Mozart in comparison to the rapidly moving chords in a Rachmaninoff prelude. If that's all KBK meant, fine. But this is quite a bit different than learning an entirely different style of playing in order to approach Bach or Mozart. And it's certainly not the crabbed curled-finger style often advocated by one of our more idiosyncratic posters here (who I won't name, but whose screen name starts with a g grin ).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am nervous because with Bach and Mozart, there is just less notes to hide behind and feels like twice the content.

M
M
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Generally, Classical and Baroque consists of scales and close intervals, whereas much of Romantic and later music has larger leaps and arpeggios.

I'm smiling as I hear in my mind the prelude in D minor from WTC 1 with its wicked fast right hand broken chord pattern and its jumping around left hand. smile

Thus the word "generally". Of course, one can find exceptions, but if one were to make a broad sweeping statement about the style of music, one would not say that Baroque music contains large intervals and far-reaching arpeggios, right?

Yes I agree that the hand naturally falls differently when playing scalar runs in Mozart in comparison to the rapidly moving chords in a Rachmaninoff prelude. If that's all KBK meant, fine. But this is quite a bit different than learning an entirely different style of playing in order to approach Bach or Mozart. And it's certainly not the crabbed curled-finger style often advocated by one of our more idiosyncratic posters here (who I won't name, but whose screen name starts with a g grin ).

I wouldn't call it a different style of playing, necessarily, but a modification to technique to suit the style, if that makes sense. I don't know if this is what kbk meant, but it is what I believe. I have run into many students who will try to play scalar passages with a more flat finger approach and it results in them not being able to get a suitable tempo, unevenness, and a general lack of fluidity in those passages. This is resolved with a more curved hand approach. This is not to insinuate that there should be no release of this curve whenever possible, as that would cause tension build-up, and of course the same is true for an extreme curve to the fingers.

Likewise a student who tries to play Romantic music with a more curved hand will have trouble with tension as they stretch to reach the large chords where a flatter hand will sufficiently resolve this problem.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the input Morodiene. The other reason 'crabbed curled-finger' playing works for the 18th century is the freedom non-legato gives you. In Bach you don't need to join 'ardly any notes. As for 'g' - leave sleeping...

M
M
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Thanks for the input Morodiene. The other reason 'crabbed curled-finger' playing works for the 18th century is the freedom non-legato gives you. In Bach you don't need to join 'ardly any notes. As for 'g' - leave sleeping...

That's true as well - for those who choose to do non-legato playing (which I agree should be done).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What's all this talk about non-legato and Bach?
There's a time and place for everything in Bach - it's unwise to assume that Baroque playing style was dominated by non-legato.

I'm not trying to get into some big thread derailing discussion - just sayin' that the curved fingers style is effective on many different ways of playing, if using older instruments.

Last edited by Mattardo; 08/30/10 04:28 PM.
i kind grasp (after seeing a master harpsichordist) that the curled crab fingers came from that instrument.. one really has to kind of strike those keys. Mozart maybe requires curves those 16th notes and scales, but I rarely curl my fingers when playing Bach on the piano. (it's kind of different on the organ because of the action of the one i regularly play. .. it requires curled fingers)

just thinking.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Originally Posted by Mattardo
What's all this talk about non-legato and Bach? ....

IMO what's this talk about most of what we're seeing here? smile

I think the main answer is just that those types of music are harder to play well on the piano, for the great majority of people. It's not like Batuhan is way off the mark in some way and that some clue will change this for him or for most of us. But I do think many of the things that are being said here are aspects of why they're harder.

I think Jdhampton's post said a lot of it:

Originally Posted by jdhampton924
I am nervous because with Bach and Mozart, there is just less notes to hide behind and feels like twice the content.

That, plus the differences between our piano and the "original" instruments, as has been said.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
What's all this talk about non-legato and Bach? ....

IMO what's this talk about most of what we're seeing here? smile

I think the main answer is just that those types of music are harder to play well on the piano, for the great majority of people. It's not like Batuhan is way off the mark in some way and that some clue will change this for him or for most of us. But I do think many of the things that are being said here are aspects of why they're harder.

I think Jdhampton's post said a lot of it:

Originally Posted by jdhampton924

That, plus the differences between our piano and the "original" instruments, as has been said.

Yes, I said the same thing as JDHampton in a previous post - it's like a barren landscape for many pianists, for some reason. Too sparse, too straight and to the point. Every mistake is multiplied.

It needs some adjustment to that style, I think. I find it difficult to jump between time periods quickly. I go through classical modes, where Mozart comes off effortlessly. If I suddenly jump to some Liszt, the transition is mentally difficult. The same works in reverse.

The instruments definately have something to do with it, but in the end - if someone can play Schumann, they should be able to play some Mozart. In many ways, it's much easier. In some aspects, it can be more difficult. Perhaps it's an issue of the romantics being very specific in their instructions on phrasing and emotion, where you must inject a lot of your own musical tastes and knowledge into Mozart and Bach in order to produce pleasing results? CPE Bach wrote that musical taste was required to play much of the music of his time, and this is probably true. There's a lot less freedom in the later composers. Perhaps a crutch has been built up in the minds of some people.

Online Content
Theories about why some people find different composers hard to play are not possible to prove IMO. My own theory is that many people don't play as much Bach and Mozart as they do composers from Beethoven forward. So it could just be lack of practice/experience with certain kinds of music.

I don't think the "less notes to hide behind" idea is quite correct. If that was the case a single scale played for one octave should be even harder. I think the transparent nature of the music makes wrong notes perhaps more noticable...which may just be a different way of saying what johnhampton said.

What's all this talk about non-legato and Bach?
As CPE says: 'Notes which are to be played legato must be held for their full length. A slur is placed above them...Tones which are neither detached, connected, nor fully held are sounded for half their value...Quarters and eighths in moderate and slow tempos are usually performed in this semidetached manner.'

The instruments definately have something to do with it, but in the end - if someone can play Schumann, they should be able to play some Mozart.
So if you can drive a Trabant you should be able to handle a Ferrari?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission