2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
It's been my observation that an hour a day will eventually get an adult beginner of moderate talent to the late intermediate or possibly the early advanced level. I'll also say that it is my personal experience that for a new player an hour a day is great and that you will progress rapidly.

I understand that there are people in this world who can self teach. I'm sure I'm not one of them. If you are anxious to get to a certain lever as quickly as possible, the second most important thing is that you find a good teacher. The most important thing is a willingness to confront any weaknesses in your technique and to work on them until they are no longer weaknesses. That is where your teacher comes in. My definition of a good teacher is one who observes your playing and suggests ways for you to practice more effectively, and assigns you exercises and pieces to help you improve the weakest parts of your technique.

A teacher, by him or herself, can't teach you anything. He or she can show you the most effective way for you to learn the piano. It's ultimately up to you to do the learning, your teacher can't do that for you.

I personally don't think there are any shortcuts to learning piano. It is a complex skill that isn't native to the human race. Having said that, I also believe that almost anyone can learn to play at a level that is personally satisfying.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to sell, no blog to promote, and no method to recommend. I'm just a true adult beginner who'd like to learn piano.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
What level is it you want to get to?

Can you tell us anything else about what you want to achieve?

These will directly impact how much/how quickly you need to do things.

Mike Saville
How To Practice
This European method I have, which I have taught for over 25 years is the fastest way to advanced levels, and the most fun way to get there. I was gifted this piano system of learning by a great concert artist from Europe, whom I studied with for 6 years. It is now a self-study with visual/audio connected on the pages and a DVD video too.
If one uses this type of study, 30 minutes a day in a 5-day week, you will be at levels 3-5/6 in 6 months. One hour practice a day (30 minutes on technique) in 5-day week, you can be in advanced levels in 6 months. It is a complete educational system, like the great masters learned and taught.

Dr. Bonnie Woodruff, PhD, Music Education
Author of 17 Piano Books PDF with visual/audio: Bon's Way Fastrak Long Distance Piano Educational System
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/drbonniejw3
Albums: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/drbonniejw2
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/drbonniejw
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
European method huh? Weird. I was taught by this guy...

He's a real stickler for technique. smile

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by How To Practice
What level is it you want to get to?

Can you tell us anything else about what you want to achieve?

These will directly impact how much/how quickly you need to do things.

Well, I love music, I enjoy playing popular songs, but I am really aiming at for example Chopin's Nocturnes. I know there is a lot of music in between, like easy classical pieces but I want to get to an advance level playing and also be able to improvise & compose.

Too much to ask for 1h a day ?, how many years will it take !?

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Bonnie Woodruff
This European method I have, which I have taught for over 25 years is the fastest way to advanced levels, and the most fun way to get there. ......

So Bonnie, the only thing missing is the link to the method

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This European method I have, which I have taught for over 25 years is the fastest way to advanced levels...

Even in the unlikely event that this is true, the word "fastest" as used in this context is highly misleading - there is nothing actually fast about getting to advanced levels - it happens gradually and sputteringly over a very extended period of time measured in years - the term "fastest" seems totally irrelevant and assinine here - this is roughly about the same as saying that the "fastest" way to watch grass grow...or the opposite of saying the fastest way to a quick buck...

...and the most fun way to get there.

If one considers years of intense hard work "fun"...could it be better than sex even?

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
F
F
If you want to play classical music, having a good teacher is imperative. A good teacher will not only know what you must do, but will be able to guide you toward efficient and effective practice techniques.

The only way to know how fast you will advance is to start! Unless you are very unusually gifted, I'd expect you to spend 1-3 years at this before making an assessment.

It also depends on what you mean by "playing Chopin's nocturnes." You may be able to master the notes of some of the nocturnes within 1-2 years (that would be fairly remarkable), but to have the control to play them well would most likely take 5-7 years of playing for 1 hour/day.

J
OP Offline
J
cool,

I have a great teacher, the best in the country I am sure, since I live in Costa Rica, smile

Starting date was Feb. and this is what I am playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6BfFn9BoJU

Well, I have been playing guitar for something like 15 years or so, I think I'll be playing piano for a long time too.

frida11 I will let you know when I post my first nocturne wink

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jose Hidalgo
This European method I have, which I have taught for over 25 years is the fastest way to advanced levels, and the most fun way to get there. ......

So Bonnie, the only thing missing is the link to the method

I believe it is available from CDBaby for $150 eek

Perhaps Bonnie will correct me if I am in error.

As you were! The link has arrived laugh

Last edited by R0B; 08/27/10 01:50 AM.

Rob
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by frida11
You may be able to master the notes of some of the nocturnes within 1-2 years (that would be fairly remarkable), but to have the control to play them well would most likely take 5-7 years of playing for 1 hour/day.

That's too much, Frida11. He has the same experience as mine, playing some guitar since 15 or 16 years old, 30 years old now, starting to play piano. That's exactly my situation.

If he really do 1 hour per day guided by a good teacher, I believe in 2 years he may be able to play the simplest nocturnes. That's what I'm expecting to myself (in fact, even earlier, I dare to think). My teacher thinks I can play some Field nocturnes, like no.1, 5, some chopin pieces like the mazurka I'm learning (op 17-4), waltz op 34-2, the nocturne posthumous in c minor no. 21, to name a few. Of course they are a real challenge to me, my mazurka still sounds very bad, but I'm improving.

To play really well sometimes is not only a matter of technique, but taste, musical background, etc.

The guitar experience wont help him with the fingering, IMO, but it will help a little with the ear and the inate rhythm.

Last edited by al-mahed; 08/27/10 01:49 AM.
R0B #1504021 08/27/10 01:59 AM
J
OP Offline
J
hey R0B,

very good playing, saw your videos on YT
keep posting !

F
F
Al-mahed, I did say he might be able to play a nocturne in 1-2 years, in some fashion.

I played through college, did not play again until age 50. I've been working hard at it, sometimes several hours a day, for 6 years now.

I still can't play most nocturnes in a way that satisfies me. All those runs of 22 over 5, or 41 or 11, etc. require a hand independence I have yet to completely master.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Al-mahed, I did say he might be able to play a nocturne in 1-2 years, in some fashion.

I played through college, did not play again until age 50. I've been working hard at it, sometimes several hours a day, for 6 years now.

I still can't play most nocturnes in a way that satisfies me. All those runs of 22 over 5, or 41 or 11, etc. require a hand independence I have yet to completely master.

That's true, today I had class with my piano teacher, she said better to hold on more until I start to play Chopin's Nocturnes. Those fast and large fiorituras and scales I know I cannot play, maybe with one or more years of practice. But, I insist, there are some noctunes I think are not so demanding, like some of Field's (do you know them?) and at least the Chopin's no. 21 in C minor, opus posthumous.

I can cheat and listen to them and play them by ear, but of course to properly learn them is another story. Clean fast passages, equal sounding scales, perfect metrical rhythm of 5 over 22, are far away from me.

But I believe it is possible do the "easy" ones (field no.1 for example, link below) and do not sound bad, with lots of practice in 3 years or less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcyqgAF8TM

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thank you, Jose blush

Rob

It also depends on what you mean by "playing Chopin's nocturnes." You may be able to master the notes of some of the nocturnes within 1-2 years (that would be fairly remarkable), but to have the control to play them well would most likely take 5-7 years of playing for 1 hour/day.

Well, I think as adults, we tend to set limitations on ourselves. But there are many kids who can play Chopin nocturnes, and some who are 5-7 years of age! Clearly, there is no limitation in their minds, maybe because they just follow what their teachers and parents tell them.

Here's a girl who is 8 though, she plays it beautifully, although it seems many adults debate whether she can actually feel any emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2KkA1JlFs

"...music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig van Beethoven
F
F
Some of those early learners are incredible. I don't mean to be negative, but very few adults can make that kind of rapid progress, and counting on it could be very disappointing.

S
S
I'll answer this a bit different. Play/practice at least around 4 hours a week and you will make good progress.

This amount of time is convenient because if you miss a day that you would normally play, you have plenty of other time slots to make it up.

F
F
It's a good idea to make your goal weekly rather than daily. It's true that for an adult, it's usually not possible to play every day, because other obligations interfere.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's true that for an adult, it's usually not possible to play every day, because other obligations interfere.

Usually - unless you're retired - then you can play to your heart's content x number of times per day - or all freakin' day long, for that matter laugh

Nice work if you can get it...

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission