2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
The etude is done. Maybe a few small changes in Sibelius would help, but overall I think my composition sounds pretty good.
Here is the download link:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/v84HsmA_/Etude.html

The whole piece lasts about 3 minutes, so I think that is exceptionally long enough.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/23/10 10:16 AM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
It's a very nice little piece, Claude. This may be just me, but I would prefer it just a little slower. To my ear it sounds a little frenetic at that tempo. I think a little less speed, a little more ease, would accentuate its grace and flow.

But- that may just be me. I'm not a young guy, full of beans :^)

B
B
I think it potentially seems like a good piece, but I find the 100% quantized, flat-velocity midi file very tiring to listen to. Any chance you could put up a recording of it being played by a human?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Ben Crosland
I think it potentially seems like a good piece, but I find the 100% quantized, flat-velocity midi file very tiring to listen to. Any chance you could put up a recording of it being played by a human?

I was thinking about getting someone like Valentina Lisitsa or Lola Astanova to play it(If I can). I betcha they would have a very good interpretation of it!!! They might even make it better!

My piano is all screwed up right now, so I have no chance of recording it on my piano.

C
OP Offline
C
Here is the downloadable sheet music(in pdf format):

http://www.4shared.com/document/AbLd-gsQ/Etude_in_C_Major_Mother_of_Nat.html

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
If I were you I'd skip the "in C major" part of the title - as most of it isn't. smile

Du holde Kunst...
P
P
It's definitely a pretty piece, but generally has no direction smile

Seeing as you're done and it's meant to be an etude, there's no reason for me to critic... unless you want some smile

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by pianoman6584
It's definitely a pretty piece, but generally has no direction smile

Seeing as you're done and it's meant to be an etude, there's no reason for me to critic... unless you want some smile

What would you do to give it more direction? What do you mean by the word direction itself? Do you mean that my piece modulates too much? Do you mean that it confuses you? Do you mean that the piece is without form? Do you mean that the underlying harmony of the sixteenth notes doesn't sound right?

After all, I on purposely did modulate like 8 times ha ha! - E Major, Eb Major, D minor, D Major, E Major, Ab Major, D minor, C Major, and recycling through many keys. That's part of the style anyways. However, there is a specific system I use to modulate. If I didn't modulate that many times, this etude wouldn't sound like Debussy, either that or this piece would sound like Debussy, but wouldn't be as complex as an etude.

Originally Posted by currawong
If I were you I'd skip the "in C major" part of the title - as most of it isn't. smile

Well, it ends in C Major. What key do you think the piece is in?

Last edited by Claude56; 08/24/10 05:25 AM.
P
P
I think you already have an idea of what I mean since you mentioned pretty much everything I was going to say smile

There's nothing wrong with the modulations, they actually added to the dreamy effect but the melody was kind of neglected. It's hard to give suggestions for this kind of piece really. It's like Debussy meets New Age. If it was more on the romantic side, I could throw in my two cents.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by pianoman6584
I think you already have an idea of what I mean since you mentioned pretty much everything I was going to say smile

lol, actually no i don't know, i just listed what possibly could of been your criticisms, however I don't know exactly which ones your talking about. "Everything I was going to say" could of meant that you had two criticisms and I listed 5 smile

Last edited by Claude56; 08/24/10 05:52 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Claude56
Originally Posted by currawong

Well, it ends in C Major. What key do you think the piece is in?
I'm not going to do a bar-by-bar analysis - it appears to move through a number of keys, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that! I just think that "in C major" in the title is unnecessary, especially when the opening key signature is 4 sharps! Confusing, too - my first thought when I glanced at the score was that the title was a misprint and you meant C# minor. But it's your piece - do what you like. smile

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is his piece and he should do what he likes! But indeed the pieces goes around and around, and changes key signatures a lot. It starts out with 4 sharps, if I recall, so really the C major is misleading I'm afraid.

C
OP Offline
C
Do you guys think there could be improvements? After all, even though I said I am done, nothing is definite, so I can always go back and change things.

This was a first time attempt in writing in a style like this, and it was a struggle to even keep everything in time. The smooth modulation techniques I used in this piece almost didn't even work. I was having trouble figuring out the semiquaver patterns for each chord change in the left hand, and when I had a pattern in mind, whenever it was played at a fast tempo, it would sound out of time.

When you guys meant by neglecting the melody, did you mean that the left hand played in the middle range of the keyboard was overpowering the melody?

Maybe next time when I write another piece like this, it will be better. Criticisms of the piece would be really helpful.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/24/10 11:01 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission