2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
81 members (8ude, Abdol, Alex_Ki, A Guy, BrokenSymmetry, bobrunyan, 23 invisible), 604 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai question: CN-42 vs. CN-33 (vs. CA63?)
#1501581 08/23/10 12:32 PM
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I played on a series of Kawai digital pianos this weekend. I'm trying to compare last year's 42 and this year's 33. My local Kawai guy is trying to clear out his last 42 and he's cutting a good deal, so the price is only slightly higher than a new 33. I think we're talking 2,100 vs. 1,900 in terms of price, 42 vs. 33, but those numbers may be slightly off.

I listened to them on a pair of cheap headphones. I'll have to listen to them more critically with nice phones and the speakers. I like the way the keys felt on each. I also really liked the 63, but I don't know if that's the price point I'm at right now. I could be talked into it, but to be honest it seems more than I need. I do want to make sure the keyboard I buy faithfully replicates a real piano like the RX2. I'd spend more to not sabotage all the practice on the digital so that I have the same command of the "real" instrument. But if the action/response of the 42/33 is quite adequate, instead of getting a 63, I'd rather wait a few years and get an RX2 or something like that when I get to a level of talent that will not cause the piano to wrinkle her nose when I play her.

So, would you go with the 42 or 33 in this situation? Or a 63? Just limiting it to Kawai digitals at this point.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Kawai question: CN-42 vs. CN-33 (vs. CA63?)
hawgdriver #1501595 08/23/10 12:55 PM
D
dcb Offline
D
What's the price difference when you step up to the ca63? I'm in a similar situation and thinking about the same options. I haven't started talking to dealers about price yet.

dcb #1501613 08/23/10 01:31 PM
S
S
Just a bit of input. According to the "prices paid" thread, the $1900 seems high for the CN33. Did you try to negotiate a price on that, or just the CN42? You may be looking at a "bottom dollar" price on the CN42, and a high retail price for the 33.

superwang #1501627 08/23/10 02:09 PM
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by superwang
Just a bit of input. According to the "prices paid" thread, the $1900 seems high for the CN33. Did you try to negotiate a price on that, or just the CN42? You may be looking at a "bottom dollar" price on the CN42, and a high retail price for the 33.

Thanks SW (that's what she said). :shakes head:

Yeah, he may have said only 1700 for the CN-33. But my focus is not on the exactness of the price as much as the qualitative evaluation of the digital piano. Yes, the value for money is going to determine which one to buy--but I'm not clear on what my quality trade-off is between these two (or three). Dealer's offer on the CN42 was 15% above cost, that's what he said. It's possible he might accept a lower offer.

The 63 was about 33 or 34 hundred.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
hawgdriver #1501863 08/23/10 07:00 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
hawgdriver, that's a difficult choice.

The CN42 and CN33 both utilise the same 'Progressive Harmonic Imaging' tone generator, so should sound largely identical through a good pair of headphones.

However the CN33 features the brand new RH action with let-off simulation and Ivory Touch key surfaces - in terms of keyboard action it's definitely the superior model.

But then, with the CN42 you're getting a more powerful speaker system, many more sounds, drum rhythms, 16-track SMF USB recorder, and twice the polyphony.

Yes, that's a really difficult choice, but I think it largely depends on your priorities. If having the latest keyboard action is more important than additional features, go for the CN33.

Opting for the CA63 would of course give you the best of both worlds, with an even more realistic keyboard action, higher quality sounds, and convenient features such as MP3 audio recording. However, it's obviously quite a lot more money to invest in - especially if you are planning to upgrade to an RX-2 in a few years.

One final suggestion might be to mention your future plans of purchasing an acoustic to the dealer. If you do decide to upgrade to an RX-2 within 5-10 years or so, they may be prepared to offer an attractive part-exchange deal on the digital piano.

I hope this helps - good luck with your purchase.

Kind regards,
James
x

ps. Nice 'Office' reference by the way... wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #1502260 08/24/10 10:55 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Awesomeness delivered, cheers KJ tiki

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,213
Posts3,029,683
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission