2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Semi-serious thought: a BOOK could be done with stories like these.

If someone feels like it. smile

The stories here are (IMO) wonderfully interesting, and wonderfully frank.

And often pretty funny, whether we like it or not. smile

A few years ago at a school talent show dress rehearsal, I forgot to bring my sheet music for a duet- I left it at home. I had everything memorized though, so I thought it'd be ok. In the middle of the performance, I completely blanked out and repeated a bar several times... I went out of sync with my duet partner and she had to make something up...
Good thing that was just the dress rehearsal! I guess it wasn't that embarrassing, but it's something I won't forget. I bet my friend will make sure of it... after the performance she made sure I knew it was all my fault laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Zara Nelsova, the late cellist, told a story about a dress she had that buttoned up the front. During a concert, it started to unbutton. She kept trying to hide behind her instrument as the disintegration slowly progressed, to little avail. Finally, when she reached the last chord, it came completely undone. I believe she never wore the dress again during playing.

someone with more energy than I have (it's midnight) may find this story on line.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Originally Posted by Palindrome
....Finally, when she reached the last chord, it came completely undone....

Once again................. ha

[Linked Image]

P.S. The bottom portion of this page briefly refers to a slightly different version of the story.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I attended a performance by my city's symphony orchestra. The players were all in black; smart, elegant and monochromatic. As they were seated, a certain violinist's trousers slipped down a little due to the change in posture. Not usually a problem, except in this case a slim strip of flesh became uncovered. That wouldn't have beeen a problem either except that the hot pink strap of her g-string (not on her violin) was exposed. It was easily visible half way back in the auditorium. And it's funny how one tiny flash of the wrong colour catches the eye. You couldnt not look at it all the way until interval.

Always road-test your underwear.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mark! - you'll get a reputation haha!

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Originally Posted by Canonie
....a certain violinist's trousers slipped down a little due to the change in posture. Not usually a problem, except in this case a slim strip of flesh became uncovered. That wouldn't have been a problem either except that the hot pink strap of her g-string (not on her violin) was exposed. It was easily visible half way back in the auditorium.....

One more time..........

[Linked Image]

BTW.......Our proposed "book" would be copiously illustrated. ha ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarcoM
Originally Posted by Victor25
I really have no idea what one has to do with the other.

you were saying

Originally Posted by Victor25
So many drama from not having the sheet frown Thats one thing they sure did better in Vivaldi - Mendelssohn's time.

and I was saying that I am not sure I agree too much with 'better', yeah, they had the sheet music but they were also expected to be able to improvise on the spot, something that nowadays is not done anymore (at least in classical) and which is IMHO a lot more difficult to do well than to memorize a piece.

But as you have read it twice now, you must have noticed I said its 'ONE' thing they sure did better. They also did very weird surgery in that time, I'm not saying the whole time was better. Just that they did that ONE thing better.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
N
N
3 years ago, I performed in front my teachers and many stundents (each students had to do their own performance). I walked on the stage (that was my first time on the stage). I started well, but the I forgot what notes to play. I stood on the stage without playing for a while. Finally, my teacher told me to return to my seat, read the sheet again and calm myself down. I did it, the other stundent took my turn. Later, I came back on the stage again and performed pretty well smile. But it was still embarassing. I later quit playing for more than 1 year. I shouldn't have quit that year...

Last edited by NeedleMan; 08/22/10 09:36 AM.

YAMAHA U300.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think it has to be the time where I played the Franck violin sonata, and after missing the last high note of the last run in the 4th mvt, I swore loudly. Ever since then I've written "don't swear" at the top of the page! Thank god it was only for class.

Also when I swore loudly right after going off stage, and unfortunately I had to go and bow again, and later I found out that a lot of people had heard me go "OH F---!!!!" off stage hahaha..

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 08/22/10 12:54 PM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Originally Posted by Canonie
I attended a performance by my city's symphony orchestra. The players were all in black; smart, elegant and monochromatic. As they were seated, a certain violinist's trousers slipped down a little due to the change in posture. Not usually a problem, except in this case a slim strip of flesh became uncovered. That wouldn't have beeen a problem either except that the hot pink strap of her g-string (not on her violin) was exposed. It was easily visible half way back in the auditorium. And it's funny how one tiny flash of the wrong colour catches the eye. You couldnt not look at it all the way until interval.

Always road-test your underwear.

You mean you really think this little slip was an accident? grin

E
E
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I think it has to be the time where I played the Franck violin sonata, and after missing the last high note of the last run in the 4th mvt, I swore loudly. Ever since then I've written "don't swear" at the top of the page! Thank god it was only for class.

Also when I swore loudly right after going off stage, and unfortunately I had to go and bow again, and later I found out that a lot of people had heard me go "OH F---!!!!" off stage hahaha..

I think you have just won the thread! I couldn't stop laughing after reading that (sorry :D)

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
hearing two ladies in the front row saying: what tram do you take home tonight?

starting the wrong program, though they liked it...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Originally Posted by Emphursis1
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I think it has to be the time where I played the Franck violin sonata, and after missing the last high note of the last run in the 4th mvt, I swore loudly....

I think you have just won the thread!....

....especially if we picture the person who said it. whome

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was 14 and had been learning cello for less than 2 years; I wasn't very good. I joined my teacher's string ensemble and was allocated (with 2 others) the bottom/easy part. But in one piece even that was considered beyond us, in which case we just sat.

A filmcrew for a TV travel show decided to film a performance in the entrance hall of a bank. The filming took about an hour although only 15 seconds of footage was used in the final show. Although we three of little proficiency played in all pieces except one, that was the piece that was eventually seen on national television. But the filmcrew didn't like the look of us sitting still and had asked us to pretend to be playing, which we quite enjoyed doing, sometimes playing our cellos left-handed and giggling silently.

Six months later the show went to air. When friends and relatives phoned to congratulate me on my TV appearance I had to explain, many times, that I was only miming. "But why?". "well you see um... I wasn't very good so our teacher told me not to play".
That was the only "cool" piece that our ensemble played.

Sooooo embarrassing

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
P
OP Offline
P
Lol, I'm really starting to like this thread more and more. It makes you realize that life could get worse.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great thread pianoman smile there are so Many ways to be embarrassed.

Pogorelich - LOL!
Piano*Dad - Hmmm I have to give her benefit of the doubt, I mean it's very wrong to stand out that much in an orchestra - isn't it? wink

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
M
M
oooh, I just remembered another one, though I think I did post it on some other thread long ago.....

In high school I sometimes played for our choir, as did another gal. We both were trained to read music only and had zero improv. skills. One day in jazz choir the teacher invited the combo guitar player, a fantastic player who read very little music, to "jam" the blues with us two pianists for a few minutes. He dived right in and we sat at the bench kinda staring at each other. Finally at one point I launched into a few notes of "Mary had a little lamb" just to be doing something. The scathing look of disdain I got from the drummer makes me shudder to this day....

M
M
Not long ago, I was playing in my school in front of an audience of students and parents (and other people).
As I went to sit at the piano, I violently hit my right foot on the grand's foot. It hurt like heck, and I could feel my face contorted with pain as I managed to sit.
When I finished playing and stood up, my foot was still in pain, I could hardly bow and walk away.

So embarassing...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This thread is really cool... It should be made sticky! smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission