2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
MiM Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
I wonder how a person with great technical skill, due to classical training, does with pop music, TV/movie themes, etc? Do you find them extremely easy, or you have to wrestle with them just like the rest of us?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do you mean playing them from the score, from lead sheets, or by ear? Because if I have the sheet music for a pop song or movie music, etc, it is usually a lot easier than anything else I'm used to playing. I can play basic chords/ arpeggios and melody from a lead sheet if I know the song, but can't make anything interesting out of it. And I cannot play by ear worth anything. I just realized that big gap in my ability lately, and have started working on it.

M
MiM Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes I mean from the score.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It's easy. I actually started out playing movie themes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It depends on the pop for me. Some of these modern rhythms throw me off when the music is set in front of me and I'm expected to play it. It all depends on the piece. I'm so used to sight-reading classical styles, that it becomes difficult when I try to apply the same rules to pop: that can be a bad idea sometimes!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I can do it, but I have a fair amount of experience with pop music.

The trick with pop music is that even when you've got a score in front of you, it still has to come from the ear. All pop scores are pretty much an approximation of what's really going on. (Because pop music is generally written by people who go from the ear first and don't deal directly with notation, as opposed to classical composers who often have notation in mind during the composing process. That's just one of my little unprovable half-baked theories, though.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree with Kreisler. Mostly they are alot easier than classical compositions, also because the 'rules' on how to play it 'right' seem alot less strict. And any audience you are going to play for is going to be WAY less critical than in classical music nowadays. Atleast, thats my experience.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
C
C
It makes sense to me that classical musicians would find the technique easy, and would know how the notation goes and would know lots of theory, but would lack in the following areas:

* Creativity
* Using the ear
* Knowing harmony theory

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
in my opinion, and experience, if a musician enjoys playing a piece then it doesn't matter what genre it is, everyone has a natural feel for music regardless. it's easy to play a Chopin Nocturne with a Chopin Nocturne feel and then playing an Elton John song with an Elton John feel. and i don't see how classical musicians lack creativity just because they're classical musicians. if anything classical music demands much more emotion than pop music.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Claude56
It makes sense to me that classical musicians would find the technique easy, and would know how the notation goes and would know lots of theory, but would lack in the following areas:

* Creativity
* Using the ear
* Knowing harmony theory

Do you honestly believe that? I mean the creativity part I could understand that you think that, however those other 2 seem quite absurd :|.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler

The trick with pop music is that even when you've got a score in front of you, it still has to come from the ear.

The scores for pop music are nearly always wrong. Half of the time they're not even in the correct key. It's better to learn it by ear.

I agree with Kreisler - playing pop/rock/TV themes and so on doesn't work particularly well if you try to play directly from the score - because so often it's an approximation of the piece - and quite often - not a good one to boot.
So if you have a good ear and/or you understand chords or lead sheets - no problem playing it. It doesn't take a great deal of creativity wink

It's funny that there is a perception that classical musicians have no creativity, can't play by ear and have no idea of harmony. I don't understand where that comes from. It seems to me that most musicians have elements of all these things - but they choose to focus these skills in different areas - be it pop, classical or jazz. Choosing one form of music over the other doesn't necessarily indicate an absence of skills in any particular area.

C
C
Originally Posted by Victor25

* Creativity
* Using the ear
* Knowing harmony theory

Do you honestly believe that? I mean the creativity part I could understand that you think that, however those other 2 seem quite absurd :|.

Quite absurd?????????? No..........

Classical musicians might know regular theory, such as counting, notation, chords, scales. But do they know how counterpoint works? How about secondary dominants? Do they know what a lydian scale is? Do they even know what a harmonic major scale is or a superlocrian scale is? Do they even know how to modulate from key to key? How about which scales go over which chords?

Classical musicians often lack transcription skills, such as hearing notes by ear. Can most classical musicians learn a song by ear?

If this was all easy for classical musicians, most classical musicians wouldn't have much trouble with improvisation. Yet most of them do in the very start of their pop career. I had a friend of mine named Rachel, and she was a very good classical pianist. However she became a jazz musician, and she couldn't improv very well. She was good at sight reading, notation, and theory, but she lacked in ear training skills and improvisation.

Of course there are exceptions to these rules, if that's what you mean. It depends on the skill of the classical musician, and since everyone is on a different level, you can't really make any real conclusions as to who can do this and who can't do that, etc...

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 10:39 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Euhm... there's really no point in discussing this with you, as you seem to know nothing about classical music at all. Counterpoint? No you'r right, you will never find that in classical music, especially not in Bach, he never did anything with counterpoint. Modulating from key to key, nope, another check, all the Beethoven sonata's are in the same key, from start till end....

I mean, come on, are you really serious? You just pulling my leg aren't you laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Can they? I'm sure. It might take a little longer, but playing lots of music trains your ear whether you realize it or not. I never thought I could play by ear, but then I sat down and tried to play "My Immortal" and was surprised that I could.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

Classical musicians might know regular theory, such as counting, notation, chords, scales. But do they know how counterpoint works? How about secondary dominants? Do they know what a lydian scale is? Do they even know what a harmonic major scale is or a superlocrian scale is? Do they even know how to modulate from key to key?

Classical musicians often lack transcription skills, such as hearing notes by ear. Can most classical musicians learn a song by ear?

My personal experience involves both pop and classical, so I'll confine my comments to the classical musicians I know. In terms of playing rhythm parts any musician who's heard any quantity of pop music can usually approximate the rhythms by ear. If they can get their eyes off the score there won't be a problem.

When it comes to soloing that's a different matter. Most classical musicians have never improvised a solo over changes and tend to confine their playing to diatonic notes. Throw any chromaticism at them and things get challenging. Some pick it up pretty quick, others not so much.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
C
C
Euhm... there's really no point in discussing this with you, as you seem to know nothing about classical music at all. Counterpoint? No you'r right, you will never find that in classical music, especially not in Bach, he never did anything with counterpoint. Modulating from key to key, nope, another check, all the Beethoven sonata's are in the same key, from start till end....

I mean, come on, are you really serious? You just pulling my leg aren't you laugh

Man you seem to really misunderstand this stuff and you have got it all wrong. Beethoven and Bach were composers, and he was a classical musician, and he was creative, and he could improvise very well. But they were the BEST classical musicians. I'm talking about the everyday classical musician, the common classical musician.

Sure composers know harmony theory and ear training skills, that's because they are composers. But the rest of classical musicians do not compose and like to focus more on playing then creativity.

Sure counterpoint and modulation were written in the music of Beethoven and Bach, but do most classical musicians(non composers and non improvisers) today really understand these concepts?

But we have no Beethovens here today. If you want to argue with that, then how come there is no brand new, unique styles coming out?

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 11:03 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

Classical musicians might know regular theory, such as counting, notation, chords, scales. But do they know how counterpoint works? How about secondary dominants? Do they know what a lydian scale is? Do they even know what a harmonic major scale is or a superlocrian scale is? Do they even know how to modulate from key to key?

My personal experience involves both pop and classical, so I'll confine my comments to the classical musicians I know. In terms of playing rhythm parts any musician who's heard any quantity of pop music can usually approximate the rhythms by ear. If they can get their eyes off the score there won't be a problem.

When it comes to soloing that's a different matter. Most classical musicians have never improvised a solo over changes and tend to confine their playing to diatonic notes. Throw any chromaticism at them and things get challenging. Some pick it up pretty quick, others not so much.

You left out musical pitch out of the equation. Most people can figure out a rhythm... There are two parts to ear training - rhythm and pitch. Most classical musicians however, do not focus on relative or perfect pitch, and can't guess pitches and learn songs by ear.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 10:56 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
Can they? I'm sure. It might take a little longer, but playing lots of music trains your ear whether you realize it or not. I never thought I could play by ear, but then I sat down and tried to play "My Immortal" and was surprised that I could.

Yup, sure. In the beginning maybe they can't, and yes they can improve to the point that they CAN play pop, but I'm talking about making the transition between classical and pop. I am talking about the very beginning here.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 11:04 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To answer your question, 'do most classical musicians today really understand these concepts'

yes

In order to really be able to perform the pieces they play, they have to understand them. This takes a long time per piece, of fully examining and understanding every thing of the piece. It seems to me that you think of classical musicians just as some sort of robots who mindlessly play the notes from a sheet. Its quite disrespectful, if this is indeed the case.

Also alot of professional established classical musicians have perfect, or atleast relative pitch. Ever noticed there aren't any frets on a Cello? Again, you seem just to be wildly guessing what classical musicians do and can do, maybe you should try talking to someone who has experience in the field instead.

Last edited by Victor25; 08/21/10 11:05 AM.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
When you guys mention "pop" is it mainly movie themes/soundtracks or are you including my favorite music? Songs like Stardust, Deep Purple, Lazy River, Birth Of The Blues, St. Louis Blues, etc.

My favorite movie soundtrack is from the movie Out Of Africa. Beautiful.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
C
C
To answer your question, 'do most classical musicians today really understand these concepts'

yes

In order to really be able to perform the pieces they play, they have to understand them. This takes a long time per piece, of fully examining and understanding every thing of the piece. It seems to me that you think of classical musicians just as some sort of robots who mindlessly play the notes from a sheet. Its quite disrespectful, if this is indeed the case.

Also alot of professional established classical musicians have perfect, or atleast relative pitch. Ever noticed there aren't any frets on a Cello? Again, you seem just to be wildly guessing what classical musicians do and can do, maybe you should try talking to someone who has experience in the field instead.

You're talking about the professionals then? Well then I agree with you. But if were talking about amateurs, then no.
The concepts creativity, ear training, and harmony theory often lack in amateur classical musicians. In professionals, however, its the other way around.

I don't know what exactly you're talking about, is this subject about professionals or amateurs? Of course professional musicians have these skills, they HAVE to be good, just to make it in life. If proffesional musicians is what this subject is about, then what is the point of this thread?

Of course professional musicians can play pop, improvise, know harmony theory, compose, and have relative or perfect pitch. They have to be able to do those things in order to be considered "good", and they have to be "good" to make it in life.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 11:28 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know, but to me, talking about amateurs, would be utterly pointless. There are classical amateurs that have never once taken a lesson, and play fur elise alot. And there are classical amateurs who follow lessons from all kinds of great teachers, know all about musical theory, and can perform on professional level. There really is no point in talking about amateurs in general, there is no common ground in that whatsoever.

C
C
I don't know, but to me, talking about amateurs, would be utterly pointless. There are classical amateurs that have never once taken a lesson, and play fur elise alot. And there are classical amateurs who follow lessons from all kinds of great teachers, know all about musical theory, and can perform on professional level. There really is no point in talking about amateurs in general, there is no common ground in that whatsoever.

Yup, I betcha that fur elise kid cannot improvise, compose, know harmony theory, and ear training. He however is great at notation and sight reading, and chords, and basic theory.

However, those so-called professional classical kids who were trained in those areas, hopefully CAN and were well taught and mastered these skills.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 11:29 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry but I still don't get what you are trying to say.

With: Yup, I betcha that fur elise kid cannot improvise, compose, know harmony theory, and ear training. He however is great at notation and sight reading, and chords, and basic theory.

What do you do you mean by that? For all we know he could not be able to sight read, and has memorized the piece? And maybe he likes to improvise alot, and is quite adept at it? And what do you mean with 'so called professional classical kids'? It could be just me, but I sense from you a very negative vibe towards people who enjoy playing classical music. Did this now become some sort of competition, of classical trained vs pop?

C
C
Yup, when I was talking about the "so called proffesional kids", I was refering to you previous post that said "And there are classical amateurs who follow lessons from all kinds of great teachers, know all about musical theory, and can perform on professional level."

The people that are trained in ear training, composition, theory, sight reading, etc..., will more likely be skilled than the people who are not trained. Those amateurs that play on a professional level(professional kids, professional adults, amateurs, whatever you call them), will be better at these skills.

The kid who plays Fur Elise(the amateur pianist) however without any training might be very good at classical, and have the following skills - sight reading, notation theory, basic theory, chords. However, he might not be good at improvisation or ear training or harmony, simply because he has never had the need to compose, improvise, or know harmony and never has done these things before in his life.

And to one of your previous posts, "In order to really be able to perform the pieces they play, they have to understand them.". I disagree with that one. There are people who CAN play classical music without understanding the harmony. You don't need to know harmony in order to play difficult classical pieces, but since classical music is currently more directed towards notation and playing rather than focusing on creativity and improvisation, notation is the recommended way of learning a classical piece(unless you want to learn it by ear).

All that is currently necessary in learning a difficult piano piece is learning notation, knowing basic theory, following the score, the dynamics, rhythm and pitch, and interpretation.
You don't need harmony theory in order to play them. You just do it.

That's all based on what you mean by "understanding" pieces. If you are talking about understanding harmony, then no you do not have to know harmony. If you are talking about notation, then currently yes, you do have to understand it.

There are people who compose very complex pieces of music, and know hardly anything about harmony and composition. You don't need to know harmony in order to compose a song, you just listen to what you think sounds correct.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 12:20 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Victor, fwiw I think Claude is quite right. Classical pianists-- from people who do it "for fun" to those in conservatory-- generally focus on learning notes, overcoming technical obstacles, and applying musical expression and sensitivity. They may take a theory class or two, but they generally don't know very much theory, and what they do know isn't integrated back into their playing-- so they don't use that theory to improvise. There is a huge gulf in this respect between today's classical players and its composers. And I don't know if historically it's ever been all that different (even if historical performers did improvise cadenzas and play figured basses).

What's interesting is that the gulf is much less with pop music: both players and songwriters generally improvise and play by ear and think about chord progressions. What's the cause of this difference? Well, what's the main difference between classical and pop music anyway? For me, the main difference is that classical music is 100% fully notated (down to whether a sonata's final chord doubles the root), while pop music, with basically no exceptions, is not. The two genres just have a fundamentally different relationship to the printed note.

-Jason

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler

The trick with pop music is that even when you've got a score in front of you, it still has to come from the ear. All pop scores are pretty much an approximation of what's really going on.

This. [Linked Image]

Plus, keep in mind that classical piano music was written for the piano.

Whereas pop music sometimes is, (such as Billy Joel), but often is not.

And not a lot of pop is solely performed on the piano, if the piano is even in the mix.

Instead, pop typically is a sophisticated and mega-tweaked studio mix of all kinds of instruments. Trying to duplicate that on the solo piano becomes an exercise in frustration, especially for teen beginners who want to play some Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus in addition to their recently learned Fur Elise.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
C
C
Yes I agree with you Rocket88 and I agree with you Kreisler.

Most pop sheet music IS an approximation of what is really supposed to be played. If you were aware enough, most pop sheet music only has the chord symbols and the melody. It was only recently that people have been transcribing pop songs thoroughly, rather than resorting down to simplicity, thanks to a great number of transcribers and computer software such as Transcribe!
But even the most accurately transcribed songs are not totally accurate. If you look at many of the jazz transcriptions, a lot of them have many flaws in them. If you want to be perfect and get the note for note accuracy of a piece, you better transcribe it yourself. For example, I was studying Art Tatum a while back, and I saw the transcription of his Tea for Two. There were many inaccuracies, so many, I would even consider the transcription a joke.

P
P
Pop seems to be the easiest thing to play for me, even by ear. Harmonically, most pop songs tend to revolve around a couple basic chords, not to mention the technique involved is usually really repetitive. I admit, there's a couple pop songs that range higher in difficulty, depending on how they're arranged. TV and movie themes tend to range in difficulty too. Look at The Simpsons' theme for example, I saw someone play an arrangement that looked quite difficult, but then again, I'm not sure what genre it was.

It's not like Jazz where you have to understand a higher level of harmony and melodic structure along with the syncopated rhythms. Pop tends to be just a more simplified and paraphrased version of classical in my opinion.

BTW, I improvise and compose regularly.

Last edited by pianoman6584; 08/21/10 01:27 PM.
P
P
Classical musicians might know regular theory, such as counting, notation, chords, scales. But do they know how counterpoint works? How about secondary dominants? Do they know what a lydian scale is? Do they even know what a harmonic major scale is or a superlocrian scale is? Do they even know how to modulate from key to key? How about which scales go over which chords?

I've been studying piano/theory now for only four months and I can give a basic rundown of everything you just listed. I'd be amazed if some of today's pop artists have any clue what you're talking about. In fact, I could list several of them that don't write their own music, can't sing very well, and either don't play an instrument or play one very poorly. It doesn't take a genius to write some of today's music. All you have to do is appeal to the proper audience.

Originally Posted by beet31425
Victor, fwiw I think Claude is quite right. Classical pianists-- from people who do it "for fun" to those in conservatory-- generally focus on learning notes, overcoming technical obstacles, and applying musical expression and sensitivity. They may take a theory class or two, but they generally don't know very much theory

Is that true? Someone can study at a conservatory and learn almost nothing about musical theory? I'd always assumed the study in theory would be extensive.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoman76
I'd always assumed the study in theory would be extensive.

In the Netherlands it is.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoman76
[
Someone can study at a conservatory and learn almost nothing about musical theory? I'd always assumed the study in theory would be extensive.

It is. The basics that Claude listed are usually gone over in Theory 101 at your local community college.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

C
C
pianoman76,

In case you didn't know, I am coming from a jazz point of view. The only extensive studies that I have studied is in classical, jazz, and film music.

I studied jazz and composition though, thats why I would know that stuff. Before, I was the average beginner and I studied classical, and I knew basic theory. However, relatively advanced theory came when I studied composition and jazz.

And stores, you are correct about music theory 101 being in your local community college(although I never took the class). That's if you might want to pursue a career in music. If you want to be well rounded, its reccomended that you take the class. Musicians who play at the professional level better consider this.

It is when classical musicians who wish to pursue a career in music begin to take college level classes such as Theory 101, that they begin to understand composition and advanced theory, and ear training, sight reading, etc....

However when your an amateur classical musician, most likely your teacher will teach the following things(depends on what he teaches or what a student wants to learn): notation, sight reading, scales, chords, basic and intermediate theory, technique, etudes, popular classical pieces). The teacher will often exclude the following areas - composition, ear training, advanced theory, advanced and transcendental technique, improvisation, music appreciation, music history, science of music, technician training, jazz band, jazz, etc... which is later dependent on college courses such as Theory 101 to help you in those skill sets. However this is not definite, so there are exceptions to these statements.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/21/10 06:13 PM.
M
MiM Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the input everyone. It seems to me from the replies that being a skilled classical pianist does not necessarily mean being able to learn other genres with total ease. You still have to polish up and hone your skills, especially in ear training and chord progression, improvisation, etc. I remember once asking a Russian concert pianist that same question, i.e., whether he can do pop easily, and his answer, which I still remember 20 years later, was a short and satisfying quip "it's not what you think".

N
N
However when your an amateur classical musician, most likely your teacher will teach the following things(depends on what he teaches or what a student wants to learn): notation, sight reading, scales, chords, basic and intermediate theory, technique, etudes, popular classical pieces). The teacher will often exclude the following areas - composition, ear training, advanced theory, advanced and transcendental technique, improvisation, music appreciation, music history, science of music, technician training, jazz band, jazz, etc... which is later dependent on college courses such as Theory 101 to help you in those skill sets. However this is not definite, so there are exceptions to these statements.

At the conservatory, in my country, the theory course is mandatory. It includes extensive theory (scales, harmony,etc), and extensive ear/rythmn traning. One has to write down what the teacher is playing at the piano (one hand, 2 hands, chords), or the rythm that he is playing. We also have to read the notes on a score very quickly on all clefs (I learnt 5), or to read the notes with complex rythm. Finally, we have to sing an unknown piece from the score (generally not very melodic). I'm talking of amateur level here, and of normal conservatories. At the superior conservatory, the level is insane...
However, until very advanced in the course, composition/improvisation is not taught. In fact, one can be a good classical player without a very good ear (good is enough), and with almost no improvisation/composition skills. Technical skills and musical sensitivity is generally enough at amateur level. In contrast, jazz players need to have a good ear, along with strong improvisation/composition, and theory skills. That is not an option, even at amateur level.
As for pop, one obviously also needs to have all those skills to compose, but to a lesser extent, in my opinion, as pop is generally far less complex than classical and jazz.
To sing, on the other hand, a good ear is probably enough. I suspect most pop singers know very little of music theory...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Are you kidding me with this? What kind of real musician can't do these things? That's absolutely ridiculous. If you don't know your theory, you'll suck, and that's the end of it. If you can't really play some stuff by ear, you probably suck as well.

You think secondary dominants are challenging to the classical player? HAHAHA..

Man you are going to have a real problem when you encounter analyzing late 19th century music, and I'm talking numeral analysis. Or actually having to write a fugue. Or analyzing a Shostakovich symphony.

And how can a serious classical musician not know how to modulate? That's in the FIRST, most basic theory class!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank god finally someone reasonable joined in. I thought I was the only one who thought it was hilarious. Claude56, what is exactly your experience in the classical field? It seems you actually know little to nothing about it.

C
C
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

Are you kidding me with this? What kind of real musician can't do these things? That's absolutely ridiculous. If you don't know your theory, you'll suck, and that's the end of it. If you can't really play some stuff by ear, you probably suck as well.

You think secondary dominants are challenging to the classical player? HAHAHA..

Man you are going to have a real problem when you encounter analyzing late 19th century music, and I'm talking numeral analysis. Or actually having to write a fugue. Or analyzing a Shostakovich symphony.

And how can a serious classical musician not know how to modulate? That's in the FIRST, most basic theory class!

Again, your speaking about the professional world. When you take music classes in college, you will know your theory and how to write a symphony. Of course I agree with you.

However on the other side, amateurs might not/may know how to modulate, based on what they were taught.

And when did I ever say in my posts that I think secondary dominants are challenging to the classical player?

I actually don't think secondary dominants are challenging for the classical player. They just may or may not know what exactly they are, but that's all based on what they were taught.

" If you can't really play some stuff by ear, you probably suck as well."

Again, this is just an assumption. Did you know that many classical players did well in their careers without playing stuff by ear?

"If you don't know your theory, you'll suck, and that's the end of it."

No you don't have to know theory. Did you even know that many composers hardly knew any compositional theory, and still composed their masterpieces? And did you know, many jazz musicians did well without theory? There are many musicians out there who do well without theory.

You better think carefully on what you type - a lot of it is a bad interpretation of what I really am saying, and a lot of your stuff is based on false assumptions. If only you could stoop to my level then you would understand what I am saying. Unfortunately for you, I would have to explain it to you for hours to get you to understand.

The most original musicians use little theory to no theory at all in order to compose their masterpieces. For instance Bach used counterpoint, but he didn't just stick by rules. He used his ear to achieve things. He is the one THAT CREATED his style. The theory about the music of Bach CAME AFTER he created his style. And he is the one that created the symbols he used in music, many of which LATER became accepted in conventional theory!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't copy music and use theory, he was original and he CREATED!!!!

Another example is the use of the 256th note, which is unconventional theory. Certain composers would use conventional durations such as the sixteenth note, but every so often they would add 256th and 512th notes to their pieces. The composers are the ones that made all this stuff up!!!

Last edited by Claude56; 08/22/10 03:41 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
in my opinion, and experience, if a musician enjoys playing a piece then it doesn't matter what genre it is, everyone has a natural feel for music regardless. it's easy to play a Chopin Nocturne with a Chopin Nocturne feel and then playing an Elton John song with an Elton John feel. and i don't see how classical musicians lack creativity just because they're classical musicians. if anything classical music demands much more emotion than pop music.

This is something I ran into over the years. Many people want to pigeon hole classical musicians, like well that is all they can do is those big classical pieces. It has happened to me many times, usually before I get the chance to do any actual playing.

This thread feels like it is searching for the answer, oh classical musicians are not equipped to play pop music, this is an absurd notion, pop music also comes from western music styles, and classical musicians are more then equipped with the tools to figure things out. Look at classically trained keyboardists, Keith Emerson, Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Sadaka. I don't see too much struggling or lack of creativity.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

I think that this observation should be challenged.

When one plays classical piano repertoire, one is playing exactly what is written on the page, nothing more, nothing less, except, of course, the addition of interpretive elements.

Most popular music, on the other hand, is written at a very basic grade level, and if one plays only what's written on the page, one comes up with something very elementary and not particularly interesting. The skill in performing popular music comes in understanding the harmonic structure of a song and the harmonic progressions used in popular music, and how to fill in chords and voice them in a musically interesting way. This is part of what improvisation is about, and many classical pianists do not have that sort of training.

I think, then, that it's false to say one can play Chopin and Elton John equally well. Yes, one can if one has the training in both classical and pop, but not all classical pianists have the extra training. Too many classical pianists are trained only to play what's on the page and that, I repeat, is usually not very interesting when one plays popular music.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good points, Bruce - improvising seems to be a lost art among pianists nowadays.
I think that helps contribute to the idea that classical pianists are expected to respect classical scores so much, rather than take risks with the material.

Gone are the days when pianists would have 'improv' competitions - and this would be a major component of how they were judged musically. Now, the major component in judgement is how well we hit the notes on the score. If I had a nickel for every time I read a post where someone said "so-and-so gave a great performance, very touching, but they made a few mistakes in the 2nd bar of the 3rd so-and-so and had a short memory-lapse there at this-and-that that marred an otherwise great performance", well, I'd have quite a bit of money.

Perhaps some brave teachers need to start incorporating more improvisation into classical student's development? That usually comes later only when they are taught modern pop music or jazz, sometimes not until college.

C
C
Originally Posted by Mattardo
Good points, Bruce - improvising seems to be a lost art among pianists nowadays.
I think that helps contribute to the idea that classical pianists are expected to respect classical scores so much, rather than take risks with the material.

Gone are the days when pianists would have 'improv' competitions - and this would be a major component of how they were judged musically. Now, the major component in judgement is how well we hit the notes on the score. If I had a nickel for every time I read a post where someone said "so-and-so gave a great performance, very touching, but they made a few mistakes in the 2nd bar of the 3rd so-and-so and had a short memory-lapse there at this-and-that that marred an otherwise great performance", well, I'd have quite a bit of money.

Perhaps some brave teachers need to start incorporating more improvisation into classical student's development? That usually comes later only when they are taught modern pop music or jazz, sometimes not until college.

Which is exactly what I agree with.

And Bruce, I agree with your statements too.

If most classical musicians are very creative, than how come we don't see any Mozart's around this day of age? That's exactly why you don't see many classical musicians improvising these days, because it IS a lost art. Many classical teachers DON'T even teach improvisation - at least not until college. If kids learn to improvise, it's most likely because they are taught by a pop teacher or someone who teaches jazz - for which improvisation is more likely to occur in pianists.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

The most original musicians use little theory to no theory at all in order to compose their masterpieces. For instance Bach used counterpoint, but he didn't just stick by rules. He used his ear to achieve things. He is the one THAT CREATED his style. The theory about the music of Bach CAME AFTER he created his style. And he is the one that created the symbols he used in music, many of which LATER became accepted in conventional theory!!!!!!!!!!!

You may not want to use Bach, as your example in relation to theory, nor, if I may make a suggestion, argue any further with some of the points you've made here. Just sayin'.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

C
C
Originally Posted by stores

You may not want to use Bach, as your example in relation to theory, nor, if I may make a suggestion, argue any further with some of the points you've made here. Just sayin'.

Are you arguing against me or what?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ofcourse he is, haha!

You are saying: For instance Bach used counterpoint, but he didn't just stick by rules. He used his ear to achieve things.

And Bach is basicly THE example of using rules and math to create some of the greatest music ever written.

And AGAIN my question is, WHAT are you comparing here?

Amateur Classical Pianists vs Amateur Pop Pianists?? How could that ever work? I mean, you would atleast have to give us some more material/background info on either to have this work!

C
C
Ofcourse he is, haha!

You are saying: For instance Bach used counterpoint, but he didn't just stick by rules. He used his ear to achieve things.

And Bach is basicly THE example of using rules and math to create some of the greatest music ever written.

And AGAIN my question is, WHAT are you comparing here?

Amateur Classical Pianists vs Amateur Pop Pianists?? How could that ever work? I mean, you would atleast have to give us some more material/background info on either to have this work!

Well I am just repeating information based on what everyone else in piano forums once DID say. Everybody makes it look like I am wrong with everything. Everything I try to learn, it all ends up in a bunch of useless babel, and everybody begins to disagree with what I say.

It's like I am not supposed to learn anything, and if I do, it's all a bunch of lies.

How much information on piano forums is wrong?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't understand, what is that that everybody once 'did' say and you are repeating? On how much information is wrong in this forums, well plenty haha, look up all gyro's posts :P

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

If most classical musicians are very creative, than how come we don't see any Mozart's around this day of age? That's exactly why you don't see many classical musicians improvising these days, because it IS a lost art. Many classical teachers DON'T even teach improvisation - at least not until college. If kids learn to improvise, it's most likely because they are taught by a pop teacher or someone who teaches jazz - for which improvisation is more likely to occur in pianists.

There are still very many composer's around composing great classical music, though they may not be as popular as they would have been even a hundred years ago.

C
C
I don't understand, what is that that everybody once 'did' say and you are repeating? On how much information is wrong in this forums, well plenty haha, look up all gyro's posts :P

Well, for example

"The most original musicians use little theory to no theory at all in order to compose their masterpieces. For instance Bach used counterpoint, but he didn't just stick by rules. He used his ear to achieve things. He is the one THAT CREATED his style. The theory about the music of Bach CAME AFTER he created his style. And he is the one that created the symbols he used in music, many of which LATER became accepted in conventional theory!!!!!!!!!!!

Another example is the use of the 256th note, which is unconventional theory. Certain composers would use conventional durations such as the sixteenth note, but every so often they would add 256th and 512th notes to their pieces. The composers are the ones that made all this stuff up!!!"

Some of that information came from reading a book, some of that information came from reading piano replies and some of the information came from Dolmetsch.com. Those were just repeats of what other people said.

Well do you think Gyro's posts are dead wrong, or rather just opinion?

Last edited by Claude56; 08/22/10 03:44 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted by jdhampton924

There are still very many composer's around composing great classical music, though they may not be as popular as they would have been even a hundred years ago.

They might be good classical composers , but what about originality? Do you consider the composers original or they just base their works on let's say, Mozart has already done?
To me, that is just pure copycat, not originality.

Many of these composers you are probably talking about I am probably unfamiliar with. Could you please name some of the composers you are talking about?

Last edited by Claude56; 08/22/10 03:33 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Another example is the use of the 256 note, which is unconventional theory. Certain composers would use conventional durations such as the sixteenth note, but every so often they would add 256 and 512 notes to their pieces. The composers are the ones that made all this stuff up!!!"

It looks like this information came from observing how a computer sequencer quantized notes in a midi file. What composer uses 256th notes? Can you point to an example?

C
C
Originally Posted by Damon

Another example is the use of the 256 note, which is unconventional theory. Certain composers would use conventional durations such as the sixteenth note, but every so often they would add 256 and 512 notes to their pieces. The composers are the ones that made all this stuff up!!!"

It looks like this information came from observing how a computer sequencer quantized notes in a midi file. What composer uses 256th notes? Can you point to an example?

I don't remember precisely which source this information came from, but I do remember it came from reading a pdf file, and not based on observation of some computer sequencer. It could of been Stravinsky that uses 256th notes.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/22/10 03:49 PM.
C
C
Actually they occur in the works of Vivaldi and Beethoven:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_musical_symbols

"Durations shorter than the 64th are rare but not unknown. 128th notes are used by Mozart and Beethoven; 256th notes occur in works of Vivaldi and even Beethoven. An extreme case is the Toccata Grande Cromatica by early-19th-century American composer Anthony Phillip Heinrich, which uses note values as short as 2,048ths; however, the context shows clearly that these notes have one beam more than intended, so they should really be 1,024th notes."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
so where can I find a 512th note then? I would like to meet one smile And i would also like to know what it is called in England.

If my oldest sister is dominant, then is my second oldest (half) sister a secondary dominant? She doesn't boss me half as much.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
so where can I find a 512th note then? I would like to meet one smile And i would also like to know what it is called in England.

If my oldest sister is dominant, then is my second oldest (half) sister a secondary dominant? She doesn't boss me half as much.

That's funny.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Another example is the use of the 256th note, which is unconventional theory. Certain composers would use conventional durations such as the sixteenth note, but every so often they would add 256th and 512th notes to their pieces. The composers are the ones that made all this stuff up!!!

So you're saying that 256th and 512th notes didn't exist before composers used them? Here's a little test for you...where can you find those 128th and 256th notes in Beethoven's oeuvre?

By the way...you're right that Bach, did create HIS own style (key phrase there), but he did so within existing framework(s). There were CERTAINLY rules that Bach adhered to...of COURSE he used theory. Please don't get me started on Bach, because it's getting too late...

♪ ≠ $

M
M
I think a good classical musician can easily learn any kind of music, because his training should have included all the tools to face pieces he doesn't know.
However, that doesn't mean he will be able to do so instantly. Foreign harmonies, rhythms, those take time to understand, both rationnally and ear-wise.

When I was young, I spent a few month learning and playing with a professional jazz pianist, and he told me, "you're really lucky that you can read sheet music like that". Like many jazzmen, he couldn't read the music, or do so very well ; it took me some time, years I think, to understand what he meant : not that he wished he could sight-read or compose on a sheet (though both are great fun), but that he thought it was a valuable tool to possess when you like music.
There are many other tool, jazz notations, harmony, you could even say chamber music / playing with other is such a tool. Obviously playing jazz in a band is not really the same as playing chamber music. But it quite involves the same "skills", and though I could very well be biased, I feel classical musicians that are well trained do get to learn most of the useful musical skills.

Many classical pianists have great transcription, improvisation or composition skills. I've been thinking on Rach(maninov) second sonata lately, its different versions, and the Cliburn and the Horowitz version, and it's amazing what those pianists did with it, how deeply they understood it. I'm also playing Pletnev transcription of the Nutcracker or Busoni's Bach Chorales, all are well thought and great fun !

Last edited by Mostly; 08/22/10 08:56 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

This is something I ran into over the years. Many people want to pigeon hole classical musicians, like well that is all they can do is those big classical pieces. It has happened to me many times, usually before I get the chance to do any actual playing.

This thread feels like it is searching for the answer, oh classical musicians are not equipped to play pop music, this is an absurd notion, pop music also comes from western music styles, and classical musicians are more then equipped with the tools to figure things out. Look at classically trained keyboardists, Keith Emerson, Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Sadaka. I don't see too much struggling or lack of creativity.

I think it really comes down to how much pop the classical pianist is listening to and how much interest they have in it. Obviously the people mentioned above had absolutely no trouble incorporating classical training with pop music. Elton has said that although he kind of resented the classical training once he knew that wasn't what he wanted to play he's thankful he had it because he could see later that it influenced the way he wrote music. There were things he'd done in songs he doubts he would have thought of if it weren't for all the classical study. When it was suggested that Billy wasn't really a "rock-n-roller" because he studied classical music his reply was "I didn't realize not knowing how to play your instrument was a prerequisite."

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
Originally Posted by Mostly
I think a good classical musician can easily learn any kind of music, because his training should have included all the tools to face pieces he doesn't know.
However, that doesn't mean he will be able to do so instantly. Foreign harmonies, rhythms, those take time to understand, both rationnally and ear-wise.

When I was young, I spent a few month learning and playing with a professional jazz pianist, and he told me, "you're really lucky that you can read sheet music like that". Like many jazzmen, he couldn't read the music, or do so very well ; it took me some time, years I think, to understand what he meant : not that he wished he could sight-read or compose on a sheet (though both are great fun), but that he thought it was a valuable tool to possess when you like music.
There are many other tool, jazz notations, harmony, you could even say chamber music / playing with other is such a tool. Obviously playing jazz in a band is not really the same as playing chamber music. But it quite involves the same "skills", and though I could very well be biased, I feel classical musicians that are well trained do get to learn most of the useful musical skills.

Exactly!

The whole point that I was trying to get across throughout this whole thread was that classically trained pianists CAN achieve improvisation skills, theory, and ear training - I NEVER in one post said they couldn't achieve those things. However, what I was referring to, was the fact that due to the way teachers teach their students these days, their seems to be a LACK OF TRAINING in improvisation, ear training, and compositional theory in classical musicians, therefore that's what I meant by "lack of" in one of my previous posts. That's why classical musicians "lack" these skills. That does not mean they can't achieve these things however, because eventually if they practice and are trained well enough in these skill sets, they might be able to achieve them. It's just that they might not "instantly" achieve them but "eventually" will, like Mostly said two posts before me.
Jazz musicians on the other hand, can also achieve classical skill sets, if trained to do so. I never said nobody couldn't do these things.

In college, there is a class for pretty much every skill set you can think of. When classical musicians take music courses, if they are trained in certain skill sets, they will most likely achieve those things. On the professional level, that is why you see many professional classical musicians with these skill sets. When you are an amateur pianist and are taught by your local classical piano teacher however, there will most likely be a lack of training in these areas, due to the classical teacher's recommendation that you learn simple theory, chords, sight reading, notation, and technique. However, that all depends on the teacher and the student, because if the student wants to learn improvisation or compositional theory from a classical teacher, there is the probability that he will get some improvisation and compositional experience from that teacher, depending on if the teacher teaches improvisation and composition or not.

And like I said to one poster who complained that I thought that classical musicians have trouble with secondary dominants and counterpoint, which was an outrageously ridiculous assumption, I said to him that I don't think that classical musicians have trouble with secondary dominants or counterpoint at all. The reality is I just think that classical musicians currently may or may not know what a secondary dominant or counterpoint is, depending on their training experience. They lack the training, that's what I am saying and that's what I have been saying throughout this whole thread. So in conclusion, most likely if you lack the training, you lack the skill. If you are trained, you are most likely to get the skill.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/22/10 10:35 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

They might be good classical composers , but what about originality? Do you consider the composers original or they just base their works on let's say, Mozart has already done?

Many of these composers you are probably talking about I am probably unfamiliar with. Could you please name some of the composers you are talking about?

Michael Daugherty, Denis Eberhard, Essa Pekka Salonen, Lowell Liebermann

C
C

So you're saying that 256th and 512th notes didn't exist before composers used them? Here's a little test for you...where can you find those 128th and 256th notes in Beethoven's oeuvre?

By the way...you're right that Bach, did create HIS own style (key phrase there), but he did so within existing framework(s). There were CERTAINLY rules that Bach adhered to...of COURSE he used theory. Please don't get me started on Bach, because it's getting too late...

Can't find one in Beethoven, but I can find one in Bartok:

Here is an example of the 256th note!!!!!!!!!!!! This is Bartok Rhapsody Op. 1 :

At the VERY END you will see the 256th note.

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/a/a2/IMSLP42570-PMLP03081-Bartok-Sz026rv.pdf

There is no limits to musical notation. For example: I could go up to a 4096 note if I wanted to, but I wouldn't, because I'd rather keep things simple.

128th notes occur in Beethoven's Third Concerto

Last edited by Claude56; 08/22/10 11:42 PM.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Claude 56, classical musicians usually have greater knowledge in all those subjects you mention than pop musicias. Sure there are well trained pop musicians, but are tyou seriously trying to say the average pop musician has studied for 10 years? Please.

One thing is a session musician, a guy who basically has to be better than the rest to get gigs (most of the times, to play music he finds boring and uninteresting, you forgot to mention that). I 've known guys who were great instrumentalists , guitar player for Elton John, that kind of thing. Top session pop musicians. Like i said, tehse guys have been to Berklee and places like that, but these are the pros. If you're seriously telling me the Oasis guy or the guy from Colpplay probably have better knowledge of counterpoint than a guy who s been at he Conservatoire for 6-7 years, well, im out of this discussion.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Can't find one in Beethoven, but I can find one in Bartok:

Here is an example of the 256th note!!!!!!!!!!!! This is Bartok Rhapsody Op. 1 :

At the VERY END you will see the 256th note.

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/a/a2/IMSLP42570-PMLP03081-Bartok-Sz026rv.pdf

There is no limits to musical notation. For example: I could go up to a 4096 note if I wanted to, but I wouldn't, because I'd rather keep things simple.

128th notes occur in Beethoven's Third Concerto

Good job making use of Google.
I'm really not sure what your point was about composers using unconventional durations, but you made it sound as if it's somewhat commonplace, which it's not. You still didn't address my question of, "are you saying that 128th, 256th, and 512th notes didn't exist before composers used them?"

At one point in this thread you claimed that Bach didn't use theory while composing as well as other composers who (you didn't mention who) knew little or no theory at all while composing masterpieces. Please tell me WHICH composers...I'm very curious. Also, could you please give me examples explaining how you come to your conclusion that Bach didn't use theory while composing. That's quite a bold statement, so I don't think asking for specifics is out of the question. Apparently, you're quite familiar with Bach's work, processes, etc., so I'm hoping to learn something here.

By the way, LVB made use of the 128th much earlier than op. 37.

♪ ≠ $

S
S
Anyone saying a classical pianist can't do anything is just wrong. A bad generalization. What about people that can improvise and all do it all. There are those who play multiple instruments and have experience with improvising. Theres always going to be exceptions to any generalizations. Categorizing people isn't really a good way to know someones skills. It all depends on the persons history and everything.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Claude, Bach definately used theory, as Stores says. He just happened to add to that pre-existing theory, change it, evolve it, etc. Bach just happened to become famous after his death, so many of us miss out on his contemporaries or predecessors who were writing similar music and who ended up being ignored in history in favor of Johann Sebastian.
Bach was considered pretty old-fashioned by the middle of his life, including many of his musical ideas and theory. Even his own children were probably annoyed at being asked so many questions about their dead, old-fashioned dad and his style of playing, writing. Bach was good at improvising, but the theory behind the improvising probably informed him while he did it.

Bach was a great composer, but not exactly a revelation in new theory or ideas that shook the musical world - just a supreme example of musical perfection, in many people's opinions. He shakes the musical world now, to our benefit.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stealth50k
Anyone saying a classical pianist can't do anything is just wrong. A bad generalization. What about people that can improvise and all do it all. There are those who play multiple instruments and have experience with improvising. Theres always going to be exceptions to any generalizations. Categorizing people isn't really a good way to know someones skills. It all depends on the persons history and everything.

Yes, like anything - it just requires some time and effort.

M
M

To clarify here, most composers working today sound nothing at all like Mozart- classical music has changed a lot from what it used to be, in search of originality. I'm not the best person to recommend modern composers, but here's a few I've been listening to.

John Adams
Morton Feldman
Arvo Part
George Crumb
Harrison Birtwistle

C
C
Originally Posted by izaldu
Claude 56, classical musicians usually have greater knowledge in all those subjects you mention than pop musicias. Sure there are well trained pop musicians, but are tyou seriously trying to say the average pop musician has studied for 10 years? Please.

One thing is a session musician, a guy who basically has to be better than the rest to get gigs (most of the times, to play music he finds boring and uninteresting, you forgot to mention that). I 've known guys who were great instrumentalists , guitar player for Elton John, that kind of thing. Top session pop musicians. Like i said, tehse guys have been to Berklee and places like that, but these are the pros. If you're seriously telling me the Oasis guy or the guy from Colpplay probably have better knowledge of counterpoint than a guy who s been at he Conservatoire for 6-7 years, well, im out of this discussion.

Classical musicians DO generally have more knowledge than pop musicians. However when it comes to jazz musicians, jazz musicians tend to know more theory than the rest of the pop musicians. Jazz musicans tend to know just as much theory as classical musicians. That's because they generally have to(unless your some extremely gifted jazz pianist), in order to improvise and be able to compose.

However the question is, what areas of study classical musicians and jazz musicians are well trained in?

Jazz musicians tend to be trained in improvisation, composition, ear training, harmony theory. Classical musicians on the other hand, tend to focus on technique, and reading from the score. I hope you can't argue with that one. However, this may change in college, depending on which music classes you take there.

That's what I was taught, and it came from many resources, such as piano forums. It's what people on piano forums once did say.

If you read all my posts, I never even once said classical pianists couldn't do improvisation, or these skill sets.

I'm really not sure what your point was about composers using unconventional durations, but you made it sound as if it's somewhat commonplace, which it's not. You still didn't address my question of, "are you saying that 128th, 256th, and 512th notes didn't exist before composers used them?"

Yes basically thats what I am saying. How can a concept exist when it has never been thought up by people?

At one point in this thread you claimed that Bach didn't use theory while composing as well as other composers who (you didn't mention who) knew little or no theory at all while composing masterpieces. Please tell me WHICH composers...I'm very curious. Also, could you please give me examples explaining how you come to your conclusion that Bach didn't use theory while composing. That's quite a bold statement, so I don't think asking for specifics is out of the question. Apparently, you're quite familiar with Bach's work, processes, etc., so I'm hoping to learn something here.

I never claimed that Bach didn't use theory, I said he used counterpoint, which IS theory. However, I was referring to the fact that he MOSTLY used his ear(to hear the notes in his head), to create his own style. If he had strictly used just theory for creating his own style and never used this ear, then I would say he used theory for his works and he was a composer that would stick by "rules". In that case, than I wouldn't be arguing with your points. But, the question here isn't whether Bach used theory or not, because Bach DID use theory. The question is, HOW MUCH theory did he use?

Last edited by Claude56; 08/23/10 09:35 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by Mirior

To clarify here, most composers working today sound nothing at all like Mozart- classical music has changed a lot from what it used to be, in search of originality. I'm not the best person to recommend modern composers, but here's a few I've been listening to.

John Adams
Morton Feldman
Arvo Part
George Crumb
Harrison Birtwistle

I am familiar with Arvo Part and George Crumb, but those other 3 I am not familiar with. In general, I don't respect much of modern day classical, except maybe of that of film music(if you consider that classical), and btw I love film music. Classical music was better back a couple hundred years ago, and in general MUSIC was better back a couple hundred years ago.

Subjectively, today's orchestras don't even sound like good orchestras anymore. Everything has to be very dissonant these days to the point that it has an ugly sound to it, and when it gets ugly, I don't have any respect for it. Maybe its just because I am listening to the bad examples of music in the genre of modern classical, instead of the good examples.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pfff this thread is getting so weird and tiring. First it was about technical skill from classical pianists to be able to

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

John Adams
Morton Feldman
Arvo Part
George Crumb
Harrison Birtwistle

I am familiar with Arvo Part and George Crumb, but those other 3 I am not familiar with. In general, I don't respect much of modern day classical, except maybe of that of film music(if you consider that classical), and btw I love film music. Classical music was better back a couple hundred years ago, and in general MUSIC was better back a couple hundred years ago.

Subjectively, today's orchestras don't even sound like good orchestras anymore. Everything has to be very dissonant these days to the point that it has an ugly sound to it, and when it gets ugly, I don't have any respect for it. Maybe its just because I am listening to the bad examples of music in the genre of modern classical, instead of the good examples.

Do you think the state of modern 'classical' performance music (not film-scores) has had something to do with pushing more and more people away from classical, and into pop and jazz? There was a period where any criticism of or honest curiosity of modern music was met with "you just don't get it" (you will still hear it today, sometimes on this forum), and classical music probably lost some possible listeners because of this.

But with the topic of the thread in mind - do you think classical performers would benefit from embracing other musical genres? And would it be beneficial to their classical understanding, or just beneficial for the sake of learning a new genre?

C
C

Do you think the state of modern 'classical' performance music (not film-scores) has had something to do with pushing more and more people away from classical, and into pop and jazz? There was a period where any criticism of or honest curiosity of modern music was met with "you just don't get it" (you will still hear it today, sometimes on this forum), and classical music probably lost some possible listeners because of this.

It's quite possible that it has, but the thing is I haven't been around THAT long, so I wouldn't know. But even kids today, just because they want to keep their social status, tend to not have an interest in classical music, where it be modern classical or the classical music that was around 200 years ago. At least, that's my experience.

But with the topic of the thread in mind - do you think classical performers would benefit from embracing other musical genres? And would it be beneficial to their classical understanding, or just beneficial for the sake of learning a new genre?

Oh sure, I do think classical players would benefit from embracing other genres. As a musician, it's best to be well rounded. Classical musicians, while they might have a deep understanding of classical, might not get the experience of pop music if all they ever try to understand is classical music. The best thing to do if you want to get experience in other genres of music is to study each genre and find out the differences and similarities between each one. After all, the more you push your brain to learn new things, the more things it will be able to do. The brain is like an adaption mechanism in itself, only it takes a lot of work to make it adapt.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Why would I want to play pop music? I listened to it while I was in my mid teens enough and now I hate 99% of it.

Stuff like Floyd and Zeppelin though I love.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
R
R
I guess it depends on what you mean by "successful classical pianist." Someone who often plays solo at concert halls? Someone who has taken lessons well enough to play Bach minuets??

In my experience, most people who have taken traditional/classical type lessons -- even at the college level -- are pretty clueless at how to even read chord symbols or play out of a fake book. Transposing on the spot? Playing by ear? Forget it. I actually have better ability than most piano degreed people I know at that, and that's not saying much!

In fact, what's interesting is that the people I know personally who DO have those skills, are all:

1) Non-degreed musicians; and/or
2) Men

Redhead

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Classical musicians DO generally have more knowledge than pop musicians. However when it comes to jazz musicians, jazz musicians tend to know more theory than the rest of the pop musicians. Jazz musicans tend to know just as much theory as classical musicians. That's because they generally have to(unless your some extremely gifted jazz pianist), in order to improvise and be able to compose.

However the question is, what areas of study classical musicians and jazz musicians are well trained in?

Jazz musicians tend to be trained in improvisation, composition, ear training, harmony theory. Classical musicians on the other hand, tend to focus on technique, and reading from the score. I hope you can't argue with that one. However, this may change in college, depending on which music classes you take there.

That's what I was taught, and it came from many resources, such as piano forums. It's what people on piano forums once did say.

If you read all my posts, I never even once said classical pianists couldn't do improvisation, or these skill sets.

Yes basically thats what I am saying. How can a concept exist when it has never been thought up by people?

I never claimed that Bach didn't use theory, I said he used counterpoint, which IS theory. However, I was referring to the fact that he MOSTLY used his ear(to hear the notes in his head), to create his own style. If he had strictly used just theory for creating his own style and never used this ear, then I would say he used theory for his works and he was a composer that would stick by "rules". In that case, than I wouldn't be arguing with your points. But, the question here isn't whether Bach used theory or not, because Bach DID use theory. The question is, HOW MUCH theory did he use?

Of course he used his ear in addition to theory...what composer doesn't? Bach, however, was so thoroughly grounded in theory as to be able to provide 4 part fugues on the spot and upon request. How much theory did he use you ask? There are entire literary tomes devoted to the theory/groundwork that a SINGLE Bach work is based upon. Perhaps you'd like to discuss the theory involved in the Goldberg Variations. We could fill many pages simply discussing that one work itself. If you don't think that Bach worked within frameworks governed by theoretical rules then you have much to learn about Bach.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Hahaha. The durations themselves have ALWAYS existed. No person "thought it up", they simply employed what's always been there.

♪ ≠ $

M
M
How can a concept exist when it has never been thought up by people?

I get it ! That proves the existence of God !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Hahaha. The durations themselves have ALWAYS existed. No person "thought it up", they simply employed what's always been there.

To some extent it's arbitrary; you could double all the durations of a piece, adjust the time signature and Metronome marking and Voila! same piece.

A more interesting question would be "what piece contains the greatest range of durations?". Notation serves composition, not the other way around. A composer doesn't add more bars to 64th notes to see what happens, a composer uses 64th (or 256th notes) to convey to performer the sound in composer's mind.

Last edited by Canonie; 08/23/10 06:19 PM. Reason: clarification
Originally Posted by Redhead1

In my experience, most people who have taken traditional/classical type lessons -- even at the college level -- are pretty clueless at how to even read chord symbols or play out of a fake book. Transposing on the spot? Playing by ear? Forget it. I actually have better ability than most piano degreed people I know at that, and that's not saying much!

In fact, what's interesting is that the people I know personally who DO have those skills, are all:

2) Men

Redhead

That sounds more like a reflection of the people you know - rather than a fair statement about who has and doesn't have a particular skill set wink There are a few women on this site (with and without degrees) who might take objection to your statement.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
what about redheads? are they clueless, or better than average at this stuff?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
M
M
what about redheads? are they clueless, or better than average at this stuff?

Depends on the freckle density I guess ? smirk

laugh ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LimeFriday

2) Men

Redhead

That sounds more like a reflection of the people you know - rather than a fair statement about who has and doesn't have a particular skill set wink There are a few women on this site (with and without degrees) who might take objection to your statement.

Well, he DID say "the people I know personally" when referring to non-degreed musicians and men.

Otherwise, generally it's probably accurate. There are probably a good deal of classically-trained pianists who are far better at Beethoven, then at playing from Chord Charts, transposing a melody on the spot, improvising certain types of pieces, etc. Of course there are always exceptions. Always. But one set of skills is not necesarrily required to do the other, and many teachers tend to focus on one path or the other.

That's why there's this thread! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

To some extent it's arbitrary; you could double all the durations of a piece, adjust the time signature and Metronome marking and Voila! same piece.

A more interesting question would be "what piece contains the greatest range of durations?". Notation serves composition, not the other way around. A composer doesn't add more bars to 64th notes to see what happens, a composer uses 64th (or 256th notes) to convey to performer the sound in composer's mind.

I understand your point (and you're right), but he was saying that the durations he mentioned (128ths, 256ths, 512ths, etc.) were the creations of composers (which, of course, they're not).

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I understand your point (and you're right), but he was saying that the durations he mentioned (128ths, 256ths, 512ths, etc.) were the creations of composers (which, of course, they're not).

Should have been more explicit that I agree with this; their existence is implied by the system of notation itself.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
C
C

That's like saying pianos have always existed in the universe despite human thought.

That's also like saying that everything exists despite human thought. Well then, based on your statements, I could equally say that leprechauns have always existed despite human thought.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/24/10 04:55 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mostly
How can a concept exist when it has never been thought up by people?

I get it ! That proves the existence of God !

Yes, heh - some people are trying to use Descartes Proof of God in this thread..
And now we have leprachauns proved as well.
It's been an exciting thread.

R
R
Originally Posted by LimeFriday

2) Men

Redhead

Why would they take objection to it? It's the fact of my experience.

The many piano majors I knew in college ... the future piano majors I knew in high school ... the private piano teachers I studied with or knew as an adult, the many music teachers I later worked with, the church musicians I know ... I would say over 90% of them were female, and virtually all of them appeared to have almost no skills, or experience (or, possibly, interest) in improvising, playing by ear, and/or playing off a lead sheet.

The guys I have known over the years who are great at that stuff are all people without music degrees. I have never personally known a female who I would say is "very good" (or even close, really) at improvising and playing by ear. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but it is kind of striking when you think of how many degreed pianists I have known over the decades.

I never really learned about that stuff myself. The very scant improvising I do, and the "okay" job I do reading a chord, was all picked up on my own, pursued on my own time, and muddled through in my own way, despite the fact that I have a piano degree.

Redhead

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
M
M

That's like saying pianos have always existed in the universe despite human thought.

That's also like saying that everything exists despite human thought. Well then, based on your statements, I could equally say that leprechauns have always existed despite human thought.

Or, rather, (if I'm understanding correctly), it's more like reality existed despite human thought- which, considering all of the evidence that there was a universe without any people in it at some point, seems to be a safe claim. Making the jump from reality to everything, though, is a strawman argument.

Human ideas and creations (such as leprechauns) did not exist before human thought, and no one is claiming that they did. The idea of using four bars to notate a sixty-fourth note did not exist before our notation system was created. The claim being made is that the specific amount of time that a sixty-fourth note takes up did exist, because time is not a human invention.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Every now and then i read discussions like this one , or the ones on the can you pop? thread. There always seems to be an implicit accusation (don t take the term too gravely though) of classical musicians being little more than copycats. People who could not write a ppage worth of music if their life depended on it. People that sure, have a good knowledge in certain areas such as theory , harmony, counterpoint, apart from a high level of proficirncy in reading music and ear training, but who can only play someone else's music.

Well, i find that so hard to believe. It seems to me it is sometimes an alibi for musicians who are less knowledgeable in all these areas, kind of like saying "yea, u know more than me, but i can improvise, i can entertain people for a good hour show, and most importantly, with my own chops". I still sense a kind of competition vibe between classical and the rest - not in this thread, anyway, but in talks with other musicians. There always seems to be that rivalry.

I really think this makes no sense. First of all, i don t think i know one single classical musician who listens to classical only. And it 's hard for me to believe that people with such a wide musical background could not appreciate other types of music, and let alone, understand them.

Classical musicians do not usually play their own these days (and therefore don t write their own), because there is more money in playing old repertoire than in writing new stuff. That's it. I think that s the main reason why. And people accept that because that s what you re taught in the conservatories.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

You left out musical pitch out of the equation. Most people can figure out a rhythm... There are two parts to ear training - rhythm and pitch. Most classical musicians however, do not focus on relative or perfect pitch, and can't guess pitches and learn songs by ear.

This thread has gotten out of hand and I missed this reply.

I don't know where you get this idea that classical musicians don't listen to pitch. That hasn't been my experience. Many of the classical students in my area participate in youth choirs where solfegge is drilled. If you think that's not focusing on pitch you're out of your mind. Many classical musicians may not be used to transcribing music, but in my experience they are entirely capable of it.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
C
C

Human ideas and creations (such as leprechauns) did not exist before human thought, and no one is claiming that they did. The idea of using four bars to notate a sixty-fourth note did not exist before our notation system was created. The claim being made is that the specific amount of time that a sixty-fourth note takes up did exist, because time is not a human invention.

Actually, time IS a human invention. Originally, time did not exist. Numbers were human inventions, and so was time.

However, the exact interval between sun rise and sun down is generally the same.

Last edited by Claude56; 08/24/10 09:41 AM.
M
M

Actually, time IS a human invention. Originally, time did not exist. Numbers were human inventions, and so was time.

However, the exact interval between sun rise and sun down is generally the same.

I personally disagree, but this isn't really the place for a philosophical debate. I just wanted to point out that you were setting up a strawman with the leprechaun argument.

Ooh. Philosophy!

Plato would argue otherwise. But I digress, continue the conversation...

Conservatory of Music @ Brooklyn College
Piano Performance, Class of 2014
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

No, it's not like saying either of those things at all. Let me ask you this...is sound a human creation? If a tree falls in the forest, etc., etc. (and in this case let's say 128 trees falling like dominoes). Your durations do not exist exclusively with music. No composer created the 128th, 512th, etc., note.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Someone determined the notation specifying the duration and it's relation to music.
This seems like a problem with semantics, nothing else.

And why so much focusing on this silly duration issue? It doesn't really have that much bearing on the thread, and is only confusing the issue.
Less focusing on 512th notes and more focusing on the topic heh heh!
It's amazing how one little sentence in a post can be amplified to the nth degree and obscure the issue. Is it really that much easier to focus on that?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have never tried pop on the piano.
I tried some pop on the guitar, but I didn't feel it, so I went back to my classical repertoire for the guitar too.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
MiM Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Now that we are back to the thread, I'd like to know to what extent then are typical classical piano skills are helpful, or (really) needed, in playing pop piano? Things like proficient scale playing, the tens of arpeggio styles out there, control, dynamics, etc. Sure they can always help, but to what degree should you perfect them? Some pop/TV/Movie scores I've seen look complex, and I'm not really sure if those classical skills would overcome that complexity.

L
L
Originally Posted by MiM
Now that we are back to the thread, I'd like to know to what extent then are typical classical piano skills are helpful, or (really) needed, in playing pop piano?

Not much skill is needed to play pop piano. Pop is 99% of the time not complex and doesn't require the years of practicing that classical does.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Personally, being a Canadian I drink pop.

I hear tell they call it soda south of the 49th.

As far as any rivalry between popular "artists" and classical musicians goes . . .

People who play popular music are in the entertainment business. Classical music exists in the music world.

Because classical musicians have mastered their rudiments early on, they are more than capable of playing popular music. Most popular musicians are musically illiterate, and couldn't play classicl music or jazz if you ran 12,000,000 volts through them.

Which can be a sore point with those that have itty bitty egos.

I saw an ego yethterday! It was perched on top of a twee!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Someone determined the notation specifying the duration and it's relation to music.
This seems like a problem with semantics, nothing else.

And why so much focusing on this silly duration issue? It doesn't really have that much bearing on the thread, and is only confusing the issue.
Less focusing on 512th notes and more focusing on the topic heh heh!
It's amazing how one little sentence in a post can be amplified to the nth degree and obscure the issue. Is it really that much easier to focus on that?

You would be right and those determinations had their origins in the late 12th/early 13th centuries. Claude's claim was that composers (Vivaldi, and Beethoven, I believe, were his examples via Google)in their quest for originality created odd/rare durations like the 128th, 256th, and 512th, etc. note, which they didn't. Much of his argument has been based on theory and it's usage (of which it seems he's read a lot of google this and google that, but has no real idea with some of the claims he's made). This sidebar has no derailing effect on the thread at all, because it touches upon the core of some of his claims. If someone is going to throw out opinions with no basis, then yes, they're going to be called on it.

♪ ≠ $

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gsmonks
People who play popular music are in the entertainment business. Classical music exists in the music world.

You mean you're not entertained by classical music?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I don't think that genres in themselves really matter. If a piece of music speaks to you, then it speaks to you.

Being a fan of - or having a passion for - different types of pop music can be really .....um..,er..disorienting.... when so much of your time, focus, and energy is centered around performing and teaching classical music.

But, in my opinion, some of the worst pop music I have ever heard has come from people with classical backgrounds. And on the total opposite end of the spectrum: I've heard some great stuff from unskilled bands who hold their songs together with nothing but nerves and sweat.

Piano instruction and performance
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I have to agree with Gerard on this. Some classical inspired pop hasn't popped. But bands like Procul Harem and Yes (I'm showing my age by knowing those names) or for that matter King Crimson and Zappa made wonderful music. While it was popular it wasn't pop. But I've met classical players who simply couldn't rock because the flexibility of rhythm was unfamiliar to them. So some classical players can rock, but some just can't. Go figure. What astounds me is this discussion has lasted 11 pages.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
C
C

No, it's not like saying either of those things at all. Let me ask you this...is sound a human creation? If a tree falls in the forest, etc., etc. (and in this case let's say 128 trees falling like dominoes). Your durations do not exist exclusively with music. No composer created the 128th, 512th, etc., note.

Sound is not a human invention. It was originally here since the beginning of the cosmos. However, music, which is not the same thing as sound(music is a higher level of sound pertaining to the human consciousness) is a human/animal invention(birds for example might hum a tune)

If you mean time as related to precise measurements, then time does not exist, and was originally thought up by humans. If you mean the interval from lets say sun rise to sun down, then if you call that time, then time does exist.

The thing is, define time?

Last edited by Claude56; 08/24/10 10:38 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I've met classical players who simply couldn't rock because the flexibility of rhythm was unfamiliar to them.

Don't you mean the opposite? I think most classical players who fail in rock/pop, do so because of an inability to keep strict rhythm.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Sound is not a human invention. It was originally here....

Ah, and so you've agreed with me. Carry on.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So some classical players can rock, but some just can't. Go figure.

I think some players can rock and some can't and whether they were "classicaly trained" or figured it out themselves in a garage band in high school probably doesn't matter that much. I'm guessing the biggest difference would be in how difficult it would be for a beginner to learn to play the piano parts written by either. I have very, very limited experience but that is how it has been for me so far.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I've met classical players who simply couldn't rock because the flexibility of rhythm was unfamiliar to them.

Don't you mean the opposite? I think most classical players who fail in rock/pop, do so because of an inability to keep strict rhythm.

Actually no, in some pop music genres, such funk, some beats are played before or after where they would fall metronomically. Keeping a strict rhythm isn't a problem for most players it's making beats two and four pop just a bit early while the strong beats are just on or even after the beat. What often happens in pop is something between an anticipation and playing on the beat. Because it's neither it doesn't fit into the typical classical players experience. Still many players can pick it up, but some not so much.

I think the notion that pop piano parts are somehow more technically difficult than classical parts is simply absurd, but getting the rhythm to sound authentic can be quite a challenge. I understand your point in that overall pop music does not use rubato and the time is strict, but where the beats actually fall within a bar does vary according to style. Add to that the fact that every drummer I've played with has had a different interpretation of that and an additional level of complexity gets added. In other words, sometimes it's not the piano players fault.

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 08/25/10 01:21 PM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
+1 to Steve Chandler's post.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G

Sound is not a human invention. It was originally here since the beginning of the cosmos. However, music, which is not the same thing as sound(music is a higher level of sound pertaining to the human consciousness) is a human/animal invention(birds for example might hum a tune)

If you mean time as related to precise measurements, then time does not exist, and was originally thought up by humans. If you mean the interval from lets say sun rise to sun down, then if you call that time, then time does exist.

Actually, sound exists solely in the mind. Outside of your head is the presence or absence of pressure-waves in the air. What we call "sound" is created for us by our brains. All of the senses work this way. Colour likewise doesn't exist. Our brain assigns what we call colour to light-wave frequencies.

It's true that those pressure-waves behave in a uniform manner, but those pressure-waves are not sound. "Sound" is an interpretation of those sound waves. We humans hear them in a way that is useful to us, but different life-forms perceive that same information differently.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Actually no, in some pop music genres, such funk, some beats are played before or after where they would fall metronomically. Keeping a strict rhythm isn't a problem for most players it's making beats two and four pop just a bit early while the strong beats are just on or even after the beat. What often happens in pop is something between an anticipation and playing on the beat. Because it's neither it doesn't fit into the typical classical players experience. Still many players can pick it up, but some not so much.

I think the notion that pop piano parts are somehow more technically difficult than classical parts is simply absurd, but getting the rhythm to sound authentic can be quite a challenge. I understand your point in that overall pop music does not use rubato and the time is strict, but where the beats actually fall within a bar does vary according to style. Add to that the fact that every drummer I've played with has had a different interpretation of that and an additional level of complexity gets added. In other words, sometimes it's not the piano players fault.

I see, then I disagree. I think most good pianists can adjust to the rhythm. I just think they are bad at following as a opposed to leading. And who said pop piano parts were harder? I must have missed that post

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I see, then I disagree. I think most good pianists can adjust to the rhythm. I just think they are bad at following as a opposed to leading. And who said pop piano parts were harder? I must have missed that post

In my personal, and therefore limited, experience, it's harder than it sounds to get the rhythm right smile I've heard way too many polkas that aren't danceable frown

Just my experience, of course.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jotur

In my personal, and therefore limited, experience, it's harder than it sounds to get the rhythm right smile I've heard way too many polkas that aren't danceable frown

Just my experience, of course.

Cathy

I think the rhythms in classical music are much harder. If you've heard that many polkas that aren't danceable (does anyone still polka?), then my guess is you are listening to mediocre (or drunk) musicians. laugh

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
It seems to me it's not necessarily a matter of "harder" rhythms. It's more a matter of - styling. Like classical, it takes listening to a lot of whatever style you want to play - polkas, swing, country-western, blues, to pick up the style, because, again like classical, not everything can be written down. And the rhythm in particular is really not notateable. My brother, who is a professional musician, talks about being ahead or behind the beat or right on top of it a lot. If that kind of swing was actually easy every singer would be Frank Sinatra laugh So while I certainly don't think that having classical training precludes being able to play pop music - far from it, because one needs some chops - I haven't found, again in my experience, that someone who hasn't done a lot of listening just sits down and picks up the swing.

Am I listening to only mediocre pianists? Well, what group of pianists are we talking about/comparing the abilities of here? Certainly I know some Grade 8 pianists that took a couple of years before they could play polkas, and may or may not have figured out swing yet. Again, not that it isn't possible, but I don't think it's automatic very often smile

As for polkas, when we used to hire bands for ski club parties in Minnesota that was one of the requirements. They could rock out all they wanted, and we wanted, but they had to know at least one polka laugh

Cathy

Cathy
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
There's a video of Berezovsky in a Moscow jazz club, he at one point jumps on stage and joins the band.

You wonder how someone with so much musical knowledge and technical ability can sound so unjazzy. Seriously, he just doesn't cut it at all. Atleast , not in my opinion.

here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVjd25HxL4g

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jotur
If that kind of swing was actually easy every singer would be Frank Sinatra laugh

sick
.... I haven't found, again in my experience, that someone who hasn't done a lot of listening just sits down and picks up the swing.

Am I listening to only mediocre pianists? Well, what group of pianists are we talking about/comparing the abilities of here? Certainly I know some Grade 8 pianists that took a couple of years before they could play polkas, and may or may not have figured out swing yet. Again, not that it isn't possible, but I don't think it's automatic very often smile

It also takes awhile to get Mazurkas. Everything takes some time.

As for polkas, when we used to hire bands for ski club parties in Minnesota that was one of the requirements. They could rock out all they wanted, and we wanted, but they had to know at least one polka laugh

I've done several beer fests in the past that have a polka requirement. grin

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
It also takes awhile to get Mazurkas. Everything takes some time.

Yeah, and most of those aren't danceable either laugh They're sure not waltzes, tho there is some overlap between them and hambos smile

I've done several beer fests in the past that have a polka requirement. grin

See? Syblings under the skin laugh When you're passing through New Mexico next time stop in and sit in with our dance band.

Cathy

Cathy
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

Actually, sound exists solely in the mind. Outside of your head is the presence or absence of pressure-waves in the air. What we call "sound" is created for us by our brains. All of the senses work this way. Colour likewise doesn't exist. Our brain assigns what we call colour to light-wave frequencies.

It's true that those pressure-waves behave in a uniform manner, but those pressure-waves are not sound. "Sound" is an interpretation of those sound waves. We humans hear them in a way that is useful to us, but different life-forms perceive that same information differently.

This discussion is going away from the original claim and the original challenge. Does adding an extra flag/beam to a note to make a weird "256th note" or something mean that there is originality, creative thought process or anything? No it doesn't. The flag clearly shows that the note should be half the duration, and having 6,7,8, a million flags (or beams) is just a simple extension of the concept that is "when you add a flag, the note duration is halved".

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
[quote=Claude56][quote=stores][quote=Claude56][quote=stores][quote=Claude56]

This discussion is going away from the original claim and the original challenge. Does adding an extra flag/beam to a note to make a weird "256th note" or something mean that there is originality, creative thought process or anything? No it doesn't. The flag clearly shows that the note should be half the duration, and having 6,7,8, a million flags (or beams) is just a simple extension of the concept that is "when you add a flag, the note duration is halved".

Yes - I've been waiting for it to get back on track, and interesting again. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's a video of Berezovsky in a Moscow jazz club, he at one point jumps on stage and joins the band.

You wonder how someone with so much musical knowledge and technical ability can sound so unjazzy. Seriously, he just doesn't cut it at all. Atleast , not in my opinion.

here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVjd25HxL4g

I believe it!
I can sit down and play almost any classical music, as long as it's in my technical grasp, on the spot. I understand the rhythms, the notes, etc.

Throw me in front of some Linda Eder, however, and it doesn't come out as well. I just can't get the rhythm or feeling from the printed score. It helps me to hear it first, with modern pop music - no matter how simple it is.

That's me - though. Others will be different. I can totally understand, though, how a classical pianist can seem incredibly inept while playing jazz, though. I had a heck of a time earlier this year when I had to play at a Rodgers and Hammerstein Revue - I was not used to that type of music, and some of it I never really got.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by eweiss

You mean you're not entertained by classical music?

Heh- that's a non sequitur based on semantics, Eweiss.

I said "the entertainment business", not "entertainment".

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
There's something about Classical music we should all remember here:

Classical music, Ballet and the English language all have something in common: "Classical" is not a form of music, "Ballet" is not a form of dance, and "English" is not a true language (this, according to linguists).

What they have in common is assimilation. "Classical" is an assimilation of many musical forms and styles. "Ballet" is an assimilation of many forms and styles of dance. The "English" langage is an assimilation of a good many languages. There are a few main languages, but you'll find words from hundreds of languages contained within the "English" language.

In each case, an underlying "classicism" has evolved (this is why "Classical" music is called Classical music). The elements which make up Classical music were fitted together and refined in such a way as to create rules and methods that are deemed to be "universal".

This is also the case in Ballet. And in terms of language, this is how grammar itself evolved.

As someone who is currently a "pop" player, trained classically, who has studied composition at the graduate level in a respected conservatory, who has played briefly in a big band, and has done New Age restaurant gigs, I have input to this thread.

There are different skill sets for the different genres.
Good classical playing requires a stupendous time investment in technique. No question. As a theory degree holder, I was surprised how many proficient players don't really know THAT much about the theory behind their pieces; however I suspect the best ones know it instinctively/unconsciously.
Good jazz playing also requires many hours at the keyboard. Here, however, the emphasis is on improvisation; a vastly different skill than finding the music in existing written notes.
Good pop playing has a MUCH stronger emphasis on precision in the rhythmic timing, which as Steve Chandler said above is NOT the same as playing precisely on the beat (this is my current area of “etude”). The improvisation aspect is still there, but in a much more confined range of “acceptable” variation.
New Age has its common practices, too: get overly loud, abrupt, or harmonically complicated, and you’ve left the genre for something else, and may lose the gig. My biggest challenge here is to find the balance of “how interesting” is enough.

So, to summarize: each area has particular requirements, and though a particular individual may (with some it takes lots of work) transition between one or the other easily, other folks who might be very respected in one style would get shouted off the stage attempting another. Perhaps Mr. Berezovsky was drunk; I am astounded at how sloppy his left hand chords were. He also has no melodic subtletly.
BTW, he and some of our readers may not realize that the work he's playing is from what can arguably be considered an opera.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission