2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1499375 08/19/10 04:28 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
What are the advantages of the Henle cloth-bound editions over the paper-bound ones? I am thinking of treating myself to the Beethoven Sonatas.

J
J
Never had one (could not afford it frown

Let me know if they are easier to learn smile

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I've had the Beethoven Sonatas in the cloth-bound editions since I was a kid. The binding is still strong and the pages look like new 20 years later.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One advantage is that it will make your pocketbook lighter. Other than that it's like buying a hardbound book. They're fantastic really and I own a few dozen of them. Keep in mind, however, that they don't always sit open quite as nicely on the piano's music stand as do the paper bound and after spending extra dollars for them you're probably not going to want to use them as a "working" edition. They are quite nice (some come with slipcases) and will make a nice treat for yourself! Enjoy!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah they just stay good longer, however they are also more expensive. I have the paperbounds as study books, but will buy the clothbounds later for performance.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Victor25
Yeah they just stay good longer, however they are also more expensive. I have the paperbounds as study books, but will buy the clothbounds later for performance.

You use the score for performances?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by stores
One advantage is that it will make your pocketbook lighter. Other than that it's like buying a hardbound book. They're fantastic really and I own a few dozen of them. Keep in mind, however, that they don't always sit open quite as nicely on the piano's music stand as do the paper bound and after spending extra dollars for them you're probably not going to want to use them as a "working" edition. They are quite nice (some come with slipcases) and will make a nice treat for yourself! Enjoy!

I use mine as working editions.. it would be silly to buy books I couldn't use! I don't have any others besides the Beethoven Sonatas, but then again, I've had to slowly replace most of my library as the books have fallen apart, so in the long run, they're probably a good investment for a serious player.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A lot of people use the score for performances, even professionals.

I love clothbound editions. I love hardbound editions too. I get all my editions hardbound at the library hehe.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

I use mine as working editions.. it would be silly to buy books I couldn't use! I don't have any others besides the Beethoven Sonatas, but then again, I've had to slowly replace most of my library as the books have fallen apart, so in the long run, they're probably a good investment for a serious player.

You're right that it would be silly (I use mine as working editions also and am lucky to have doubles of many scores...the doubles being paper) but most don't want to spend that kind of money on something that they'll "beat up".

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey
A lot of people use the score for performances, even professionals.

Who? I can't recall the last time I've seen anyone with a score.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The only cloth bound I have is the complete Beethovens, and they are lovely. Lucky enough to inherit these long before I could play any beethoven, only later found out how expensive they are.
But it doesn't seem to make playing them any easier wink I take a working photocopy to my lessons since I ride my bike up a huge hill (and I am heavy enough), later I put my final fingerings/markings in the book, then I can maintain or revive pieces using the books - that's the plan anyway.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Is this a question?

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Is this a question?

Quite often when one adds a question mark to the end of a sentence it's to signify the presence of a question.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I say I will buy the clothbounds later for performance, then you ask if I use the score for performances.....

It seemed more like you wanted to give your critique or something, because the question you asked was already answered in my first post. Was this your intent? Or didn't you understand from my first sentence that my plan was to buy the clothbounds later, to use during performance?

Last edited by Victor25; 08/20/10 07:46 AM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Joanna MacGregor regularly uses the score. I saw Pierre Laurent-Aimard use a score for Gaspard de la Nuit once. Chamber music performers almost always use the score.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

The cloth-bound editions run about $20 more per volume. Since this will be a birthday present to myself the added expense is not a big deal. However, how well they sit open is a big deal. This is one of the things I really like about my other Henle editions. How much worse are the cloth-bound editions? I already find the paper-bound editions to be quite durable so how well the sit open may be the deciding factor.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have the full (paperbound) collection from Henle of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn and Chopin, and all of them stay open perfectly.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Given that Henle paper-bound editions, with proper, reasonable care, are extremely durable, the only advantage I can see to having cloth-bound editions is that of appearance. I don't have any experience with Henle cloth-bounds, but the few cloth-bounds I have from other publishers do tend to be a little less manageable on the music stand than well-bound paper editions.

Cloth-bound will certainly look nice on the shelves, though, just as do my leather-bound Éditions de la Pléiade of certain major works of French literature. Those works could have been bought in much, much cheaper editions, but the luxury of handling a leather-bound edition printed on extremely fine paper is an indulgence I have allowed myself.

That said, I don't think I could bring myself to using a cloth-bound Henle as a working copy, but that's just me, I guess.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I say I will buy the clothbounds later for performance, then you ask if I use the score for performances.....

It seemed more like you wanted to give your critique or something, because the question you asked was already answered in my first post. Was this your intent? Or didn't you understand from my first sentence that my plan was to buy the clothbounds later, to use during performance?

No critique...It just seemed as if you meant you used paper bound for working and then you buy the clothbound for performance. Just a misunderstanding in the wording you used is all.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by the nosy ape

The cloth-bound editions run about $20 more per volume. Since this will be a birthday present to myself the added expense is not a big deal. However, how well they sit open is a big deal. This is one of the things I really like about my other Henle editions. How much worse are the cloth-bound editions? I already find the paper-bound editions to be quite durable so how well the sit open may be the deciding factor.

You're right that the cost is fairly marginal, but keep in mind there are two volumes. My point here was that most people don't necessarily want to shell out $100 for all 32 at once. They are, as I said (and Bruce I notice did too), somewhat difficult to keep open on the stand. With the extra expense you don't want to have to crease your pages, or grab a bottom corner (perhaps crumpling or tearing it in the process) to turn a page back. I'm not at all discouraging you from purchasing them, but just giving you a bit of a heads up. If I were you and wanted to treat myself I'd buy them.

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission