2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Candywoman
Sometimes I think the public, including Steve, can only handle so many performers. It seems the public feels they need to reduce the pool of musicians and only give the time of day to the "best".

However, I actually agree with Steve that only a small percentage of people really play well. I'm not sure yet if Steve fits in that group. If he's smart, he won't post a video here. But I do wonder why he wouldn't want to play a score as the composer intended. I also know he'd be a better performer, and perhaps famous, if he had nurtured his natural talent in a more traditional manner.

In any field, there are precious few who excel.

Who can take a sunrise....etc.... great tune!
Sammy rocks!

Actually in my field I am quite famous however I enjoy my privacy. Using a real name on the Internet is idiocy. The Steve part is real however.
I'd love to play a score as written, but I can't. That's the point.
Can you play back, note for note more or less, something else someone just played for you?
I doubt it.
I've been told by some pretty famous people, Oscar Peterson for one, TO NEVER take formal lessons because it will ruin my style.
He suggested I study Errol Garner who I knew from "Misty" but didn't realize he couldn't read.
I'm one step, albeit a small step, above that although I wish I had 1/20th of Errol's talent.
I suspect so do you.

As for a video, I've spent so much time on the other side of the glass it's more difficult than I thought.
I will produce however and I'm sure all you learned types will get a good laugh.

How about Misty?

Will you "Play Misty for Me" Candywoman?
I'll play it for you....
I'll even toss in a little Sammy for good luck smile
Stay tuned....

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Elissa,
You obviously must hold your audience in awe of your wisecracks ... but what the heck does this corker mean?

“Maybe little Jenny's parents see piano lessons as a way
to extend her spatial and symbolic reasoning?”

D
D
God didn't gave you that talent to show off to other people, talk big about ourself and how gifted you are, and how crappy the people are that keep trying and will never be as good as you, who is even too lazy to do anything else with his talent then using it for himself, because you think you are too gifted to teach other people playing piano.

Last edited by djorkaef; 08/16/10 03:53 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
+1 djorkaef and welcome to PW! This thread's just some self aggrandizing BS. These type of threads come along with fair regularity.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by btb
Hi Elissa,
You obviously must hold your audience in awe of your wisecracks ... but what the heck does this corker mean?

“Maybe little Jenny's parents see piano lessons as a way
to extend her spatial and symbolic reasoning?”
I'm not quite sure what you mean in your first sentence there, but I can explain the line from my post that you quote: parents these days have been told that playing the piano improves children's spatial and symbolic reasoning, so some parents want their children to learn in order to get that outcome. Note, I am simply reporting that this is a reason these days that parents want their children to learn the piano. I appreciate that not everyone will agree with their rationale in this regard, and I was making a list of reasons parents might want "little Jenny" to take lessons even if she will never be Steve.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You're ducking the question Elissa.

"Maybe little Jenny's parents see piano lessons as a way
to extend her spatial and symbolic reasoning?"

This sounds like a Jim-crack throwaway phrase for dummies.

Here is how I understood it.

You will see articles explaining that music lessons will create changes in a child's thinking abilities, which in turn translate into academic achievement. Spatial and symbolic reasoning are two such abilities that are being touted, presumably good for math and reading.

Extrapolating from this, a parent enrolling a child in lessons in order to get the spin-off of academic advantage will not really care how well the child learns how to play. That parent may not give the child the support that is needed to achieve musically. In fact, that has been reported by PW teachers several times.

Therefore, if Jenny is not doing well in her performances, it may be that her parents have not been supporting her activities in music. And the reason they haven't been, is because they care about spin-offs, not the music.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I teach a few "Jennys." With them, the work we do is more about learning process, or about being able to stick with something even when you're unsure of your ability, or even about being comfortable with yourself when you seem to be making every mistake in the book.

In other words - most of the time it's definitely not about music.

And about Tatum's and Garner's fingerings. I was always told that they relied on fingers 123 for runs so that if at anytime they wanted to interrupt a run with a melodic idea, their 4th and 5th fingers were available to start one.

Years ago, I went to a performance coach in NYC for advice on an upcoming performance of a Mozart concerto. She asked me to change the fingering in a few passages to the use of 123 only. I found out later that she originally got the idea by watching George Shearing play!

Last edited by Gerard12; 08/16/10 09:45 AM.

Piano instruction and performance
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by btb
You're ducking the question Elissa.

"Maybe little Jenny's parents see piano lessons as a way
to extend her spatial and symbolic reasoning?"

This sounds like a Jim-crack throwaway phrase for dummies.
Um, I have no idea why this is tricky. Keystring has done a great job explaining it, but I didn't mean to 'duck' the question in the slightest.....

Parents have read research which shows that students who learn the piano score higher in spatial reasoning tests and in symbolic reasoning tests.

They therefore want their children to take piano lessons almost entirely for the purpose of increasing the abilities of their children in these two modes of reasoning. Being able to play is almost beside the point - kind of a nice bonus, shall we say.

Now, since I have not conducted the research, and since I have not kept up with developments in the research, I cannot speak to the latest perspective on the benefits of learning the piano on spatial and symbolic reasoning.

But my attitudes aren't at question here: the question was, why would parents pay for little Jenny to learn the piano when she will never be able to play.

This is a reason I've had parents tell me has motivated them to seek piano lessons for their children.

Am I missing something in the question you are asking me, btb? I can assure you, I had no strange agenda at play in listing this 'reason', and I can't think for the life of me why you think it's a corker.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If we prune away the unnecessary self-awe, maybe what the OP is saying is that there is something about making music that cannot be taught? Perhaps a certain innate musicality that sets the awesomely great apart from the merely good (assuming equivalent training and hard work)?

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
If we prune away the unnecessary self-awe, maybe what the OP is saying is that there is something about making music that cannot be taught? Perhaps a certain innate musicality that sets the awesomely great apart from the merely good (assuming equivalent training and hard work)?
I think that there is something about *performing* that cannot be taught, something innate that the performer has about themselves that they communicate to their audiences. But I think that these innate abilities can be improved through good teaching. I feel that my educational opportunities gave me the chance to be better than I would have been completely self-taught.

W
W
If we wanted to turn this thread into something interesting we could talk about a quote from my late teacher: "I can't teach you anything; you have to take responsibility for learning, yourself".

You're right there, we're all learners.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wavelength
If we wanted to turn this thread into something interesting we could talk about a quote from my late teacher: "I can't teach you anything; you have to take responsibility for learning, yourself".

That's an interesting quote. Actually, I can teach you how to play, but I cannot force you to learn how to play. But I suspect that's understood by most of us.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Actually, I can teach you how to play, but I cannot force you to learn how to play. But I suspect that's understood by most of us.

That was summarized in my post which was dismissed by the OP, answering whether you can teach someone to play the piano. His refutation involved his experience of being beaten by a top professional tennis player in tennis.

- yes, if you know how
- and if the student works with you
- and if you work with the student

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

You are giving him WAY too much credit.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
KS, you're right. I was just responding to the quote. Most everything that needs to have been said has been said many times over.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
M
Perhaps your 'untalented' students aren't learning because you assume they can't. Just sayin'.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mine was a touch of irony. I posted as student and parent, you posted as teacher. I doubt the gentleman will have any of it.

To tell the truth, the one thing that bothers me is the feedback that people who are still learning are getting. What message are those in the process of learning or starting taking away from this? Parents' expectations and maybe anxieties about their children?

S
S
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz

Talent works both ways. You could be born a natural talent but if you don't put in the effort and work you still won't go anywhere. Conversely you may not be supremely blessed with talent but you can work hard to become good.

Talent means nothing if you don't hone it and put in time. Oscar Peterson got to where he was because he decided he wanted to become to best jazz pianist in the world.

+10

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission