2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 19th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you! smile

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Recital #19 Onine Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #19 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 19 zip 1
Recital 19 zip 2
Recital 19 zip 3
Recital 19 zip 4
Recital 19 zip 5
Recital 19 zip 6

Let me express my greatest thanks to five very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; Bob Muir for working out the technical details of pulling together the recital and doing so tirelessly for the first six, count 'em, six, recitals; LaValse for hosting the zip files and recital software on his server; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:5 Years 10 Months
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Giant Steps
Composer:John Coltrane
Duration:03:35
Source of music:Lead Sheet - Improvised
Instrument used:Yamaha P155 Digital
Recording method:Zoom H4
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Playing 'Giant Steps' is the Holy Grail in jazz improvising. It's terribly difficult to play. But I cheated by playing it slowly. I did it at half speed from the original recording. It changes keys so frequently and the chords change every two beats so there's not much time to think. Since this is completely improvised, one never knows how it will turn out so I apparently managed to change the rhythm a few times (all subconscious here) and fortunately left most of the screw ups to the end.

BTW - I've never been an early submitter to a recital, but I had to rush this one since I'm leaving for vacation. Thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Title of piece:MacArthur Park (Cover)
Composer:Jimmy Webb
Duration:05:34
Source of music:Played by ear
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB. "BB" stands for MONSTER bass!
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:This is a beautiful piece that I've wanted to play for a long time but my play by ear skills were not quite ready yet.

Unfortunately, there is no sheet music for this score other than a piano/vocal version in which the vocals carry the melodies; not the piano. As such, I decided to try and compose my own version of this piece and attempt to keep it recognizable while still making it my own. Basically take a perfectly good song and hack it up once again. Hey, it's what I do!!

"MacArthur Park" is a real place in the westlake neighborhood of Los Angeles. This is where the composer (Jimmy Webb) had a real life romantic infatuation with a girl named Suzy Ronstadt, (Linda ronstadts cousin) years ago.

The song is basically about how much effort and hard work Jimmy had put into trying to establish a romantic realationship with Suzy but it just wasn't meant to be.

The line "Someone left the cake out in the rain......it took so long to bake it, I don't think I can take it because I'll never have that recipe again..." is actually refering to the efforts Jimmy had made trying to establish a relationship with suzy but to no avail. It also refers to someone on that day in the park who actually DID leave a beautiful cake out on a picnic table when it began to rain when they ran for cover.

Jimmy had actually seen this event take place just after being with Suzy and in a way made a kind of connection with the cake that someone had taken so much time to bake and decorate but ended up unattended, just soaking in the rain.

"The sweet green icing is melting down" is sort of a reference to all the hard work and effort he put into his relationship which was all for nothing. Kind of like watching the beautiful cake get destroyed in the rain.

Now you know!

I hope you like my rendition of it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:On and off for 40 years. A few years of lessons as an adult
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3wLTSnnyLc
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Waltz For Bella
Composer:original
Duration:03:52
Source of music:original
Instrument used:Pramberger Young Chang
Recording method:digital to Mac

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:4 and a half years after returning. Lots as a kid.
Title of piece:Prelude In F# Major Op.64 No.13
Composer:César Cui
Duration:04:43
Source of music:Sheet Music

http://imslp.org/wiki/25_Pr%C3%A9ludes_%28Complete_Set%29,_Op.64_%28Cui,_C%C3%A9sar_Antonovich%29
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:César Cui (1835-1918) was one of the 'Mighty Five' Russian composers, dedicated to composting a specifically Russian style of music.

In 1903 he wrote a set of 25 Preludes in all the keys, starting and ending in C. The No.13 in F# major is an absolute gem of loveliness. It starts very softly and gently with a simple statement of the melody.

The second section is in d# minor, with a short bridge section in D major, which quickly returns to F# major.

The first theme, ornamented with running notes returns quietly at first, and then very loudly with large chords, octaves and trills.

After the big climax, the Prelude ends quietly and calmly.

Cui was interested in expressing only one thing in his music, and that was love.

Hope you enjoy this piece.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam Smith
Experience:3years back after a 30 year hiatus
Title of piece:Song Without Words Op. 19/2
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:03:12
Instrument used:Yamaha UX1
Additional info:This piece is in 3/8, but the theme begins with a 4 beat sequence that sounds as if it is in 2/4. It is not until the 2nd and 3rd measures that the triple meter is established. This uncertainty about the meter happens whenever the theme occurs throughout the piece and adds variety and interest.

This is the third of the six pieces in opus 19 I have learned - only three more to go!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Strings & Wood/CarlMc
Experience:Back in the saddle for 2+ years
Title of piece:"Wind Beneath My Wings"
Composer:Larry J Henley; Jeff Silbar
Duration:03:58
Source of music:Sheet
Instrument used:Schimmel K213 NWS
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:This song has been performed by some pretty good voices such as: Gary Morris, Bette Midler, Lee Greenwood, and others. Even though it has been done often(some will say overdone); it holds a very special place in my heart. It was a favorite of my younger sister who lost her battle with breast cancer a couple of years ago.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:Off and on for years, mostly on now
Title of piece:Eponina
Composer:Ernesto Nazareth
Duration:05:29
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:1917 O
Additional info:Ernesto Nazareth wrote over 200 pieces of music, so many beautiful melodies in the form of foxtrots, waltzes, sambas, and tangos.

For lunch today, it'll be a falafel sandwich!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TrueBeginner
Experience:Two and a half years
Title of piece:The Journey / Broken
Composer:TrueBeginner
Duration:06:43
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Casio-Privia
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:Last recital, I submitted a piece called "Somewhere". It was part of a sequence of three pieces on the same key. It was about a couple got separated as the guy moved to another place. The girl stayed, missing the guy and was wondering how he was doing and if he was missing her too. The second piece is called the Journey, which I already posted in the July piano bar. It was about the other person who went on the journey, missing the girl he left but at the same time anxious and excited about what was waiting for him ahead. The last piece is called Broken. It was about the girl at home receiving the new that the guy has moved on.
As the quarterly recital audience might not be the same as the monthly recital one, I combined The Journey and Broken into one piece for this submission. Hopefully it is not against the recital rule here.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:epf
Experience:Too many to count.
Title of piece:Theme from Chariots of Fire
Composer:Vangelis
Duration:02:58
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Privia PX-800
Recording method:Direct to Zoom H4 then Audacity to equalize.
Additional info:Haven't had lunch yet.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://home.roadrunner.com/~riddlereader/
Title of piece:Fly Me To The Moon
Composer:Bart Howard
Duration:03:42
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Additional info:This song was originally written as a ballad in 3/4 time, but was later rearranged in 4/4 as a jazz swing song and has since been recorded by many jazz singers and instrumentalists. The original title was "In Other Words", but everybody called it "Fly Me To The Moon", so the title was changed accordingly.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:tdvance (Todd Vance)
Experience:2.75 years lessons as child, 20 year hiatus, then 15 months self teaching.
Title of piece:Sonatina no. 8 (Pathetique) 1st mvt.,
Composer:Ludwig Van Beethoven
Duration:08:40
Source of music:Ludwig Van Beethoven Complete Piano Sonatas Volume 1 (Nos. 1-15) Dover Publications (June 1, 1975)
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius Digital Piano, DP-160
Additional info:I ordered this particular book of Beethoven sonatas because it advertised faithfulness to original manuscript (Beethoven's notation style isn't the modern style, and many copies "modernize" it--the editor claims Beethoven used a style of notation that suggested how it should be interpreted).

I was first familiar with this piece from the 2nd mvt (not played here), transcription for saxophone and piano, back in high school. I heard the 1st mvt. for the first time, not recognizing it for what it was, on an episode of M*A*S*H.

As is usual, I submit a recording with some mistakes left in---knowing I "could" just keep working and 179 takes later, here it is! I spent about 6 months on this, so the next recital I won't do such a difficult piece as there's nothing I've spent 3 months on already in the queue. Total time, about 8min 30sec. This is take 5 (out of 5)....not counting numerous unrecorded "dress rehearsals". To reduce the errors to the rate present, I did lots of repetition. I could get a page or two (out of about 8 or so pages) error free at one rehearsal session by playing slow, and increasing one beat per minute each repetition up to full speed. However, 2 days later, errors would start creeping back in. In the end, I played the latter 2/3s slower than the first third.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:timmyab
Experience:17 years
Title of piece:Nocturne op 32 no 1
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:37
Source of music:Schirmer/Joseffy
Instrument used:Yamaha YDP S30
Recording method:Headphone socket to UX1 audio interface, recorded with Ableton Live and converted to mp3 with Audacity.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Gary001
Experience:Approx 2.5 years.
Title of piece:In The End
Composer:Arranged by Scott D Davis
Duration:04:22
Source of music:Arrangement by Scott D Davis. Sheets available at http://www.inspiringpiano.com/sheetmusic.html
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-720
Recording method:PianoTeq
Additional info:This is by far the most challenging piece I've attempted so far and despite a few mistakes I'm pleased with the result. Still a lot of work to do in both dynamics and phrasing, however having spent the best part of 3 months on this it's time for something new and more my level smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Basia C.
Experience:1 semester of lessons, started as adult in 2006.
Title of piece:The Clown
Composer:Dmitry Kabalevsky
Duration:01:03
Source of music:Easy Piano Classics, Bastien piano library
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova, CLP 240
Recording method:Olympus digital voice recorder, DS 3400 + Audacity
Additional info:I dedicate this piece to my dear friend M., and to Totti, the clown.

I have done very little piano playing since I started learning a few years ago. Not because I do not want to, but because of those never ending demands from work and life. I still do music however since I focus on learning the flute. One day my piano playing friend M. came over and we had a lot of fun playing through my flute music. The Bastien collection of classical pieces was laying on top of the piano, and as M. browsed through it she said “Oh, this piece would be perfect for you”. “I have no time for that, I have never liked circuses, and that book is too hard” I replied, as I had never played a “real” classical piece before. “Look here” she said. “It’s not hard at all, and the left hand is just repeating the same three-note pattern. Besides, I bet you’ll love it.” Suspiciously studying the chords and melody, I shook my head “But it’s not even possible to know if it’s in the major or minor key.” Smiling my friend cheerfully confirmed: “You’re right. Isn’t that really interesting?!”

What was I to do? Of course I could not stay away from practising. And after by coincidence having seen the absolutely amazing and very musical clown Titto (playing trumpet, singing, and dancing) I felt much more inspired then I wanted to. Consequently, for the first time, I have a piece to submit for the recital! Any ideas about what to try next?

Lemon, honey, and rosemary chicken with rise.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:8 years
Title of piece:Armes Waisenkind (The Poor Orphan)
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:01:22
Source of music:"Piano Music From Bach to Debussy" Urtext, Henle Album
From Album for the Young
Instrument used:Roland FP-4
Recording method:Akoustik Piano software

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ladypayne and Augustina
Experience:who knows? We both have the same years and months of experience though! We started playing the piano around the same time which was a long time ago! =)
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AteKBeoyI
Title of piece:The Battle Hymn Republic piano duet
Composer:Tune by William Steffe
Duration:02:03
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:upright piano
Recording method:digital camera
Additional info:This is a piano duet by myself (ladypayne) and Augustina! We thought we would try a piano duet for a recital piece this time around. We apologize for any mistakes if we made any, but this is one of our favorite duets we've done yet, so hope you enjoy it as much as we did playing it! :)Also, Augustina is playing the primo part while I'm playing the secondo part and I was trying to turn the pages too :p

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CebuKid
Experience:4 years of piano lessons as a child
2 years as an adult
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6nbEnP194E
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebukid70
Title of piece:Weeping Willow - A Ragtime Two-step
Composer:Scott Joplin
Duration:03:44
Source of music:"Joplin's Complete Rags For Piano" - Shrimer's Library of Musical Classics
Instrument used:Cristofori Upright
Recording method:JVC Digital Camcorder
Additional info:I chose this piece because I love the syncopated melody, and how each strain goes from "happy-to-sad." I chose a moderate tempo and tried to emulate Joshua Rifkin's version. Some people play it too slow, but I think this tempo brings out both the melancholy and jaunty sections quite nicely. I actually finished this piece back in April with the intent to submit for the May recital but "stuff happened"..but, better late than never, and I'm so honored to participate in my first ABF recital!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:6 years on piano; 7 on accordion as child.
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc2EDrpUtUw
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/pianomonica
Title of piece:Canon in D
Composer:Pachelbel, arr. by Lee Galloway
Duration:03:25
Source of music:Sheet music, www.leegalloway.com/order.html
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded with Zoom H4, normalized in audacity; video recorded with Zoom Q3.
Additional info:There are lots of arrangements of Canon in D, but this is one of the prettier ones, in my opinion. More important, I can actually sort of play it, as opposed to the George Winston arrangement, another one that I'd like to be able to play someday. This piece starts off deceptively easy and then gets progressively harder, right up until the last couple of lines with huge four-note chords that I invariably mess up royally when trying to record.

Lunch was a frozen Amy's organic tortilla and black bean bowl.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mohan Karthik
Experience:9 months after a LOOOOOONG break
Home page link:http://www.mohankarthik.com
Title of piece:Punnagai Mannan Theme
Composer:Ilaiyaraaja
Duration:01:56
Source of music:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZLcGc1vEs
Instrument used:Casio PX-330 + Pianoteq
Recording method:Pianoteq export
Additional info:Ilaiyaraaja is to me one of THE best composers this world has ever seen. He is very very classical in most of his songs. But he does have a few "western" songs that are outstanding too! This is one of them. The sheet is linked in the video description along with the password. The sheet is for duet, i've modified it for a solo. You can hear the original song in youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWPTR25Bcvw.
Hope you like it. I'll try doing more of Raja sir's and AR Rahman's soon! For me there are no better composers smile.

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 08/14/10 10:26 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission