2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hey everyone,
I am new to pianoworld, this is my first post!! (yay!) First of all let me kind of introduce myself a little bit. =) My name is Matt and I am 15 (soon to be 16) and in 10th grade. I have been studying piano since second grade. I really love the piano and I'm more or less obsessed =)) I know it is a hard living, but I want to be a concert pianist someday. (hence my pianoworld name. I hope that that doesn't make me look like an arrogant little diva....haha) Anyway, my question is in regards to upgrading pianos. I have a Yamaha CLP-230 which is my main practice instrument when I'm at home (at school I have virtually full access to our new Steinway D, and she is beautiful 3hearts haha) so..I have heard that Digital Pianos are not the best for technique and I think I could use a piano that has more capabilites. I have been looking at a grand in about the Yamaha C3 or G3 range. A piano which is a good instrument, but which is still affordable. I found an Estonia 6' 3" for $8,700. I'm wondering if anyone has any info or suggestions for me. Thank you!!

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime isn't enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff

Yamaha CLP-330, Yamaha C7 Conservatory serial D3460954
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Welcome to being a poor musician. My best advice is, find a music school and gain access to their practice facilities. It's what I do. Although I've attended two schools so I practice at both..

It's much better than having just one instrument. You can practice on different pianos every day, and that will ensure you have less of a shock when you go to play a recital or competition and play on an instrument that is foreign to you.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Welcome to being a poor musician. My best advice is, find a music school and gain access to their practice facilities. It's what I do. Although I've attended two schools so I practice at both..

It's much better than having just one instrument. You can practice on different pianos every day, and that will ensure you have less of a shock when you go to play a recital or competition and play on an instrument that is foreign to you.

That's actually good advice and for all the reasons she's given. Music schools also sell their instruments every so often (at very good rates if you can convince them to rid the deal of the middle man), so that's something to keep in mind as well.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You should ask about this in the Piano area, but the Estonia sounds like a deal. Get a piano technician to check it out for you.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Estonias are fine pianos if you have access to a relatively new one. I would be very leery of a 6'3" Estonia (190) at $8,700. It could be an old one - one made long before the Laul regime at Estonia, at a time when the quality of Estonia pianos was unreliable and even questionable. You would have to check the date of manufacture and make sure this particular piano was manufactured after 1998 at least. At that price, however, I can't imagine it being a good Estonia; most likely old or very badly used.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
While we're on this topic, anyone want to donate me a grand piano? =) =) =)

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
M
M
No, but I have some firewood you can pick up haha :P

Matt,
I agree with what's been said. To pay $8700 for a 6'3 pretty much anything is suspect. Was it refurbished? Or perhaps it's quite a bit older as BruceD pointed out and from a lesser quality. You can call a piano tech and give them the serial # and they can tell you what the year was (also I think some companies have websites that will do this), and the tech can also tell you if that's a good year and model. If it seems good, have them go and check out the instrument before deciding to buy.

I once purchased a Yamaha "grey market" G3 for about $8000 and I knew it was refurbished, so I knew that I was getting an older instrument. However, I didn't realize it was grey market, intended for use in Japan where the humidity levels are much higher than central Wisconsin. As a result the piano wasn't staying in tune very well, and screws would come loose and the keys would make a clicking noise as a result. After much work by my tech, I finally added a Dampp-Chaser and that pretty much solved the problem.

I like the piano now, and I still think I got a good deal, but just be aware that you may not be completely satisfied with it. Usually you get what you pay for.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Morodiene
[...] To pay $8700 for a 6'3 pretty much anything is suspect. Was it refurbished? Or perhaps it's quite a bit older as BruceD pointed out and from a lesser quality. You can call a piano tech and give them the serial # and they can tell you what the year was (also I think some companies have websites that will do this)[...]

Tell me the serial number and I will tell you when this particular Estonia was manufactured.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Send $8700 to the stores foundation and I'll tell you when this Estonia was manufactured. =p

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Current list prices on Yamaha U1's - a very serviceable upright - are in the low $10,000.00 range, up considerably in the last few years when, it appears, Yamaha has established a minimum selling price for their pianos. For example, I bought a new Yamaha U1 in 1999 for $4,500.00US. However, "street prices" may be lower on new U1's, and there could be many good used U1's in dealerships around the country if you are willing to take on the search. Find one at a price that's good for you, have it checked out by an independent technician, and you should have a reliable instrument to work on.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
BDB Offline
B
In this economy, it is not unheard of for someone to have to sell a piano quickly, so some great bargains may be had, but you have to act on them right away.

Semipro Tech
OP Offline
Thank you all for that advice! If you want to see it go to Craigslist.com and it is in Detroit-Metro area (Michigan) and just search "Estonia" under the musical instruments category. I'm sorry I can't tell you the serial number, it doesn't say, and I've yet to see the instrument....I doubt I ever will, I was just looking at Craiglist and the Estonia caught my eye, and then I thought that that price was awful low for an instrument of that quality. Better yet...I'll just post the link. =)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1839511255.html

-Sergei Rachmaninoff

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by concertpianisttobe
Thank you all for that advice! If you want to see it go to Craigslist.com and it is in Detroit-Metro area (Michigan) and just search "Estonia" under the musical instruments category. I'm sorry I can't tell you the serial number, it doesn't say, and I've yet to see the instrument....I doubt I ever will, I was just looking at Craiglist and the Estonia caught my eye, and then I thought that that price was awful low for an instrument of that quality. Better yet...I'll just post the link. =)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1839511255.html

Might I ask, where in Michigan you are? Message me, if you'd rather.

♪ ≠ $

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
That is an older Estonia, although I have no idea how old it is. Estonia has not been putting logos on the side of the piano for a number of years. I wish I could decipher the logo on the side or see the logo on the fallboard because Estonia had to change the logo as well as remove it from the "shoulder", and if that's the older logo - it might be - that is further confirmation that it's an old piano. The removal of the side logo and the change of the logo may have happened at the same time; I don't remember.

That said, Estonia is still not a household name and the seller may have had to list it at a low price to sell it, depending how eager s/he is to make the sale.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have you looked into West Michigan Piano? They have many pianos coming in from Blue Lake summer camp (new at the start of the camp, used for just three months) August 22nd. Nice discounts are being taken. I have my eye on one, so please don't take that one wink!!!!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I don't mind, to answer your question I am from south of Kalamazoo in a town called Vicksburg; but I look at the larger areas on Craiglist just because they have more pianos. =) And that is funny that you say West Michigan Pianos is selling BLFAC pianos! If you get the one you have your eye on I would wager that I have played it. I went as a piano major first session this year. If you are looking at a Samick grand (SG-172) I think it is about a 6 foot piano, That was the one I always took my lessons on. There was a couple with a buzz in the bass (uprights, anyway) so beware. But the Samick was actually very nice and went well with my Bach Prelude (I played the 21st in B-flat if you are wondering.)

-Sergei Rachmaninoff

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission