2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

Oh please, give us a break. Say you are about to launch into the octaves and you discover that you have a hanging fingernail. What is wrong with fixing the offending fingernail before resuming play? How is that disrespectful of the composer?

If you think that LL suddenly discovered that he had a hanging fingernail at that moment and fixed it before resuming play, then I think you’re allowing your passion against Lang Lang bashing (as you call it) to cloud your judgement of reality.

But fair enough – like I said, I don’t hold strong views on Lang Lang, and I did admit that my idealised image of concert pianists was naive.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Chris G
Why does everyone get so upset when a musician they don't like becomes famous?

Everybody doesn't. Why do LL fans get so upset when people who know a thing or two about the art point out his failings?

wr #1495420 08/13/10 06:54 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Everybody doesn't. Why do LL fans get so upset when people who know a thing or two about the art point out his failings?

Only because the attacks usually aren't just against LL-- that's fine-- but also against the musicianship of the fans. I'm not a die-hard fan, and I dislike some of what he does, but I think his touch and tone are often wondrous, and I actually think he's a thoughtful, risk-taking musician. But notice that even your statement implies (to some degree) that I don't know "a thing or two about the art". I think that's unfair.

-Jason

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"a true artist encourages the works of those below him"
-- Anonymous

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
wr #1495426 08/13/10 07:01 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by wr

I'm neither a fan nor a disparager of LL. I just wonder why so many people in the classical forums waste so much energy trash talking about famous performers.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To my layman ears, he is a terrific technician, but a very poor interpreter.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Well here's the thing: If you can listen to a recording of him without looking at him play, there is some music he plays that are very good, but when you can hear other pieces and notice his extreme exaggeration of rhythms, etc., you start to lose respect for it. Playing music emotionally is fine, but when it comes to the point of "sounding fake" and OVER exaggeration, it tends to be less satisfying.

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
That Tchaikovsky was terrible. I give him he does try to bring something new, but he fails miserably in my view. Actually , i don't think he reflects much on a work, seems to me he learns the pieces and then interprets it more or less freely as he feels on the day. Tha's at least the impression i get from his Tchaikovsky; the problem is that there is no beauty in that interpretation.

The Rach preludes were "cold". No majesty oe elgance, like it's been said.

Haochen Zhang, on the other hand, whom i didn't know, seems to be 10 times the artist LL is proving to be. And he is chines and he is younger than LL.

C
C
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPianist
....and if he were in the year 1400 he'd be an old man.
seriously, in a world where many of the greatest pianists made their professional debuts at the age of 13, 30 is kind of late for someone to begin pulling their head out of their....

you're the guy who gives recitals on peyote right?

.....man that is sooooooooo cool. we are kindred spirits, you and I.

? Yes I am the guy, and I am quite flattered smile. We should have coffee, or peyote sometime. Though, coolhand luke was cool. Things that are provocative are 'cool'. I like to think that there is nothing provocative about a peyote concert... rather, that the true cause for provocation is that there are people simple or scared enough to be offended by such an idea.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

I'm neither a fan nor a disparager of LL. I just wonder why so many people in the classical forums waste so much energy trash talking about famous performers.

Why is it as waste of energy? You want to talk about the weather, instead?

And "trash talk" is not exactly how I'd characterize people trying to verbalize the nature of their problem with LL, even though sometimes it does devolve into that. I think some people here a trying to understand the issue with him in a more nuanced way than just "I hate it".

E
E
Originally Posted by MikeN
How could I forget, no really how could I. I'll never forget the videos of him butchering the Rachmaninoff 3rd and looking like an inspired food doing it.

I chuckled when I read your comment. Then I searched for the video and watched it. Thank you giving me a good laugh!

His playing does sound good, at a much higher level than I could ever hope to achieve, and as I'm not familiar with the piece, I don't know how true to it he was.

However, I, like many others had to listen but not watch. If he wore a bag on his head whilst he played, perhaps his performance would be improved!

EDIT:
Although having said that, he seems to be enjoying himself, and is certainly an 'entertaining' performer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85hn8rJvgw&feature=related

Last edited by Emphursis1; 08/14/10 01:54 PM.

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Here's one thing me and Lang Lang agree on, the melody in the Prokofiev is very catchy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Who dislike Lang Lang he or she is just jealous

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sure, I'm jealous that I can't have such blatant regard for the written text, or that I can't act when I play like he does.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Batuhan
Who dislike Lang Lang he or she is just jealous

Haha best argument ever!!!

Or wait a minute... maybe we could also be jealous of people we really respect, like Horowitz, Rubinstein etc. instead? Or are you now saying that anyone who plays at a higher technical level than we, we automatically have to envy? Or does it have to do with how many people watch him? Or how much money he makes again?

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission