2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Agreed, on all counts.

S
S
Why don't we just all admit that he's fun to make fun of because it's hard to take someone serious with a name like Lang Lang.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPianist

No one blames Lang Lang for anything but criminal taste:
the fact that his clownass musicianship is worth 20mil a year says more about the sad world we live in than anything else...

Sorry, but i cannot agree with that. Lang Lang may be plain irritating onstage (he is to me), but he is a heck of a pianist. He is still a virtuoso that has given everything for his art, whether his art is my or your cup of tea.

I saw Katie Perry, who happens to be on the paper DAILY, recently on tv, live show, could only take 10 minutes of it. I was curious as to what she was offering to be getting so much attention.

She can´t sing to save her life, she was out of tune the whole time , way out of tune. Seriously, it was that bad. Audience were still ecstatic.

And Lady Gaga? i managed to hear one of her songs, catchy tune , but c.r.a.p. imho. Then i read this interview wth her, where she said she used to do cocaine, but that she didn't want people to think that coke gives you talent. How stupid is that? Obviously she is probably bright in more than one way, i mean, she's probably the most famous pop star right now. But THAT shows you how little people are happy with these days in terms of music, art ...

Lang Lang may be a sellout, but i wish half the people that enjoy Lady Gaga's bs would actually klisten to LL's erpertoire and enjoy it.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
izaldu,
you've completely missed the point.
NOWHERE did I say Lang Lang wasn't a good pianist. To play Don Juan like he does you HAVE to be a virtuoso.
There are thousands of virtuoso pianists who have devoted their lives to their art. Many of them far surpass Lang Lang in every pianistic way. It's not his piano playing that's worth all that money. It's his clown antics, I'm afraid, that sell so hideously well.

If you read my post carefully (not this one), you'll see I give Lang a lot of credit where credit is due. In a world chock FULL of boring pianists who play the notes but nothing else, Langx2 brings performances filled with excitement and contrast.

Katie Perry happens to be INSANELY hot. She is lucky to have an image that clicked with the times.
I too am mystified by many aspects of our culture.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I don't think i misread you, i m just saying that the most irritant, hystrionic and clowny version of LL would still be preferable to Ms. Perry. Even if she learned how to sing. So basically ... we agree.

I guess KP has some kind of talent ... i just cannot see it at all. Because she 's fine looking , sure, but aren't there a million models as good looking as her?

It really bugs me to see people with zero talent getting so much attention. Specially considering there is a lot of people with huge talent that get zero attention.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think many of Katy Perry's songs are kind of funny. They're all catchy.

Does it bother me that one single song of hers will be seen by more people, will earn more money, and will get more attention than I will ever in my entire life as a classical pianist?

meh... not really. What do you want? Every single professional pianist to be on the top 40?

I don't think L'Homme qui marche I is worth 140 million. I'd probably pay about a thousand bucks for it, depending on what I could scrape together.

It's a weird world. Just do your thing and hope for the best... I guess...

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I hear you.

If she makes X mm a year , more power to her.
But i believe art serves a purpose, it makes people more appreciative, sensible ... i do think art makes one a better person. So if you get fed stupid tv, stupid music, and stupid movies only ... well i think you re missing a lot. And worst of all, some of these singers are not only seen as entertainers, just a pretty face that sings ephimeral music, but as role models. That is what scares me.

Or maybe i am just getting old and grumpy!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I only heard a handful of performances by LL but what he did to Rachmaninoff Prelude 23/2 and 23/5 is so terrible I'm not even interested in other things he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7efXmTHlBlU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Qo6fmMkGE

Last edited by babama; 08/13/10 10:43 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I actually thought he did a pretty good job with both of those preludes... Of course they're both far too rushed and lacking in majesty and glory, but how can you expect a clown like LL to know about such noble emotions?

He did a wonderful job bringing out the gorgeous inner melodies in both of them. And in the Bb, he manages to bring out the main melody quite well (very difficult due to its strange notation).
No, there are FAR worse Lang Lang offenses on youtube.
such as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKA65IEPw0Q
look at how he picks his nails right before the octaves.

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnAa4micUg

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
He is still young. And he is growing up in public, which is an extremely unique position to be in - especially for a classical pianist.

So let him make his immature interpretive mistakes. At least he's taking chances. I'm looking forward to what he'll sound like in 10 or 20 years from now.

Piano instruction and performance
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
that's the thing thought.... he's NOT young. Not anymore. He's pushing 30. He's not going to change much. Why should he when he's pulling in the cash on such an epic scale?

Haochen Zhang is young. Zhang doesn't make 'immature interpretive mistakes'. He was a mature artist at 18. Lang Lang is still playing the clown at 28.

And what a lucrative clown he is.... I believe he's the highest paid pianist since Paderewski.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Who's skill is also debatable.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
agreed. Last time I tried to sit through a Paderewski recording, I just couldn't stomach it.
My Polish friends joke about how he was a better pianist than composer, and a much better prime minister than pianist...

C
C
that's the thing thought.... he's NOT young. Not anymore. He's pushing 30. He's not going to change much. Why should he when he's pulling in the cash on such an epic scale?

Haochen Zhang is young. Zhang doesn't make 'immature interpretive mistakes'. He was a mature artist at 18. Lang Lang is still playing the clown at 28.

And what a lucrative clown he is.... I believe he's the highest paid pianist since Paderewski.

30 not young? If he lives to the average of the human life-span, he has decades to go.
I would even consider 40s-50s young for a pianist.

Compare an early Richter recording to a late one.

How about the difference between Gould's Goldberg recordings?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
....and if he were in the year 1400 he'd be an old man.
seriously, in a world where many of the greatest pianists made their professional debuts at the age of 13, 30 is kind of late for someone to begin pulling their head out of their....

you're the guy who gives recitals on peyote right?

.....man that is sooooooooo cool. we are kindred spirits, you and I.

such as this:

I don’t hold strong opinions one way or the other on LL, but those few seconds at 5:02 (and particularly at 5:07) were quite a shock to me when I first saw them a couple of months ago.

It was simply naiveté on my part – I really had bought into the idea that in a full orchestral setting like that the top performers become 'one' with the music and give their all on stage.

Just a fleeting moment of mannerism, but it seemed so disrespectful - disrespectful of the audience, of the orchestra, of the conductor, and most especially of the composer.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

such as this:

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnAa4micUg

I swore I would never watch another bloody LL video again, so the punishment I endured from the above is totally my fault. But even without the visuals, LL's playing is simply not to my taste, and there are none of his CDs in my collection.

Jason
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Luthrin

Just a fleeting moment of mannerism, but it seemed so disrespectful - disrespectful of the audience, of the orchestra, of the conductor, and most especially of the composer.

I'm sure he didn't think of it that way. With the drumming of the fingers, the look on his face and then the fingernail picking, I might as well have been watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon depiction of the concerto. He was merely clowning again, oblivious to whether or not it insulted the orchestra or conductor. I don't know why you guys let this get under your skin.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Why does everyone get so upset when a musician they don't like becomes famous? Far worse is when someone whose music I like becomes famous because then instead of being able to see that musician perform in a small club and for a few dollars cover charge I can only see them for in a large venue after buying an expensive ticket. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy when a musician whose work I admire is getting recognition and reward but seeing someone play in a large concert hall, or worse yet a stadium is not the same as seeing someone perform up close.

If you don't care much for the music of the big name performers you are lucky - you can save your money and go see someone you like better in a more intimate setting for a fraction of the price.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Luthrin

such as this:

I don’t hold strong opinions one way or the other on LL, but those few seconds at 5:02 (and particularly at 5:07) were quite a shock to me when I first saw them a couple of months ago.

It was simply naiveté on my part – I really had bought into the idea that in a full orchestral setting like that the top performers become 'one' with the music and give their all on stage.

Oh please, give us a break. Say you are about to launch into the octaves and you discover that you have a hanging fingernail. What is wrong with fixing the offending fingernail before resuming play? How is that disrespectful of the composer?

When I look at the video I just see a guy having fun, enjoying he heck out of the opportunity to play before thousands of adoring fans, for a cool $20 million a year. This is a concert not a funeral.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission