2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent B
America's Got Talent held a You Tube contest this year in which several acts were chosen from You Tube videos and given the opportunity to perform live on the show.

One of the contestants was a talented (but by no means prodigous), 16 year old pianist. I'll try not to further comment on his abilities, but he played a fairly mediocre rendition of Chopin's "Black Key Etude" as his debut piece.

Last night, he was voted through to the next round.

Piers Morgan's advice to him...

...Try to play something more well known next time.

I found that comment fairly amusing. What's more well known than Chopin's Black Key Etude???

I swear, if it's not Fur Elise or the Turkish March, nobody's ever heard of it.

On the flip side, the 10 year old singer was amazing! (At least I thought so, but I can't sing a note).

Try to play something more well known next time...this coming from Piers "who the heck are you?" Morgan (seriously, who the heck is Piers Morgan?)

Last edited by stores; 08/12/10 05:39 PM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by stores
Try to play something more well known next time...this coming from Piers "who the heck are you?" Morgan (seriously, who the heck is Piers Morgan?)

grin A satirical magazine this side of the pond has been calling him "Piers Moron" for many years. He's a former tabloid newspaper editor who became known as a regular pundit / talking-head-chappy for current affairs. Every time I see a clip of that guy speaking on that show, I feel a bit embarrassed to be British.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by MiM
I thought classical pianists would be happy to see that kind of music up there, as it promotes classical music, but not Brent B apparently! No on is preventing the "more" talented kids you would like to see up there from competing in the show, so stop blaming the kid. Also, may be you should ask those talented kids to put their stuff on YT and present themselves like this kid did.

I'd like to present a rather interesting and enlightening conversation I had with my non musically mother last night:
Me: Heck they call that talent.
Mother: well why don't you audition
Me: Because, any chance of of me being a serious pianist would be history. Heck, I'd be a laughing stock of the piano world.

That is all.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Feel free to post more anecdotes.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I didn't like the lady's comment. I mean, as a judge she should know better and also know more about classical music...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
P
OK, if I were him, I would have to take into account what kind of people the judges are and what kind of audience is watching. He would have to balance showing off to people like us and showing off to people like them. If he shows off to people like us by playing, for example, Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 6 very well, then people like them might be bored or they'll think nothing of it. If he shows off to people like them by playing, for example, Chopin Op. 10 No. 5 faster than he can actually play it, he'll at least seem talented temporarily to hold him over to the next round. I think his choice is good, except he could have played it better.

There is room for more showing off. For example, if there were two pianists, and one plays Chopin Op. 10 No. 5, the next one could say "I can do that with my left hand" and play Godowsky's arrangement.

But it's America's Got Talent, which many really talented Americans would never touch.

One111
B
Brent B Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by MiM
I thought classical pianists would be happy to see that kind of music up there, as it promotes classical music, but not Brent B apparently! No on is preventing the "more" talented kids you would like to see up there from competing in the show, so stop blaming the kid. Also, may be you should ask those talented kids to put their stuff on YT and present themselves like this kid did.

Yes, you're right. I'm completely against the promotion of classical music in any way. I've been so upset I haven't been able to sleep all week wink

The intent of my original post was not to highlight the contestant, but rather the judges.

I promise I'm not a grumpy person trying to destroy the dreams of teenage musicians.

Estonia L210
T
T
Guys Guys Guys!!! (and girls) Pulease! Let's not turn on our own kind, this kid is one of us, a classical music fan. Let's cheer the fact that a 16 YEAR OLD KID came out and said "there is more music out there than Lady Gaga" and then played Chopin. Just to be up there following no talents like these cookie cutter dance groups and rappers screaming Ni@#!r this and Bit#$ that.

I have nothing against pop music, i was raised on everything from mozart to motown to metallica and bach to beatles to bad company but the so called music now just makes me realize how far everything has fallen. So really its not just about being a clasical music fan but a person that understands and appreciates a "High Level Art Form."

I wouldnt be so competitive to those that have not gone to conservatory either. So what someone compliments him, the important thing is that we continue to promote this amazing part of our traditional culture.

So really, who would NOT want their kids listening to our music rather than Snoop Dog. I have a baby girl so as far I'm concerned i see things like Tony Soprano, outside its 2010 but in here its 1955!

I should start a new thread on this.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess I fail to see how he is not a prodigy, or how he is worse then other pianists. I mean if you compare him too professional level pianists, of course. I think he saw AGT as an easier opportunity, and why not? Who ever said the conservatory route was the only way to go(I am thinking pianists like Alfred Brendel or more recently Jon Nakamatsu) It is nice to see something different on there, but a lot of people still think of Liberace when it comes to their view on pianists.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just watched the video and honestly, I have no problem with what he did. Granted, the "black key" was water a bit too deep for him to fully tread yet, but he gave a gallant effort. I do love what he said in his mini interview beforehand about showing everyone how amazing and beautiful classical music is. You really can't blame Sharon Osborne for giving him an ex. I mean look at the ahole she's married to and the "music" she's had to listen to as a result...of course, she's a tasteless dolt.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

C
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What would be a good piece to play on this show?

Let's assume:

1.3 minutes maximum(probably less)

2.appeal to a non classical audience(yes, I think Black Key was a mistake)

3.must appear technically difficult

4.Bui(or whoever's playing)could play anything...no limitations on skill

5.can be part of a piece or abridged version

I can't think of many right now:

Rachmaninov:Flight of Bumblebee transcription
Cziffra:Bumblebee transcription
Liszt:Friska from HR #2(abridged)
Mozart/Volodos:Turkish March(may have to be shortened)
de Falla:Ritual Fire Dance
Grieg/Ginsburg:In the Hall of the Mountain King transcription
Lady Gaga/Liszt:Grand Fantasie de Bravura on themes from Poker Face

Other suggestions??

Fantaisie Impromptu -- just the first theme and the coda -- would be the perfect piece for this contest.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
While I was reading the first part of the post above, I thought of Flight of the Bumbleebee too.
A young boy did play it in Australia's Got Talent. He got into the next round, but then he was eliminated.
Pretty talented for his age!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

I'd like to see more additions to the above lists. A piano piece for a show like America's Got Talent fits into the category of an encore where it catches the audience by surprise and makes them marvel at the technical difficulty of the piece. I would like to add Tico Tico no Fuba. Also some piano reductions from the operas, Barber of Seville and Marriage of Figaro, could have a "wow" factor.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

He played it too fast for me :P . He has good talent though! I just wished Sharon was less...ignorant.

Last edited by Skorpius; 08/13/10 08:31 PM.

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
While I was reading the first part of the post above, I thought of Flight of the Bumbleebee too.
A young boy did play it in Australia's Got Talent. He got into the next round, but then he was eliminated.

That was really good, especially for a 7-year old!!!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

And I bet the blond pole dancer won..... smokin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't even remember who won... A "group", but I don't remember its name... It must have caught my attention! blush ha
The young pianist lost with this performance:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=EjiBu0DOvY4&annotation_id=annotation_983106[/video]

I have found on the net he wrote his first composition at 2 years and 9 months of age and already has his final piano diploma with honours (he is 7).

Anyway, I don't think that a classical pianist, regardless of age, will ever win one of these competitions judged by viewers. Not if they play classical music... cry And I strongly dislike show business stuff.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Studio Joe
Originally Posted by Brent B

And perhaps the most important question here is--Why do I watch that show???

That's just what I was thinking right before I read the last line of your post.

Or watch television at all.

I just finally got around to watching the clip, and couldn't make it to the end. It just thoroughly creeped me out. Not the nice but hapless kid's playing in itself (which really wasn't that fantastic, but I imagine the bizarre set alone could throw one off), but the panelists, the host, and their interaction with "maestro" Bui. Even that "maestro" thing - yeeechhhh!!!

<shudder>

Much of this brings up an important point - it's important to know your audience, regardless of who you're playing to.

I actually agreed with Sharon a bit - it was boring, and not so much because of the playing but because of the repertoire. The Black Key Etude, almost by definition, offers very little variation in terms of harmony and texture. Using so many black keys limits your harmonic possibilities, and it's a Chopin etude, so it's going to stick with one basic figuration, and this one doesn't even have a clear melody. But the show (and it's audience) is looking for dramatic extremes, not nuance.

So, here's a quick list of repertoire choices that I would consider to be more appropriate. (I do think Sharon was wrong about playing more familiar music. The music doesn't need to be familiar, but the dramatic feel for what's being played does.)

Rachmaninoff - Etude in c# minor, Op. 36/9
Debussy - Prelude "Les collines d'Anacapri"
Tchaikovsky - "February" from The Seasons
Prokofiev - 2nd Sonata, Scherzo
Beethoven - Sonata in F# Major, Op. 78 (2nd movement)
Chopin - Prelude in d minor
Mendelssohn - Spinnerlied (Op. 67/4)
Albeniz - Suite Espanola, #7 (Castilla - Seguidillas)

All of these pieces have a familiar, dramatic style, but they're also relatively unknown to the general public. They all clock in at under 3 minutes, and they represent a wide variety of styles to fit the individual tastes of the performer.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I would recommend the "Hades" prelude, Chopin op.28 #16. The entire fiery descent into the abyss takes just about 60 seconds, which is what it takes to hold the attention of the AGT audience and judges with classical music. It begins and ends with dramatic thundering chords and is a good vehicle for the performer's virtuosity.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission