2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rui725 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Sennheisser ear canal head phone, there's so many different models I can't even tell but it was around 85USD when I first bought it 6 months ago.

Is it normal to get an annoying buzzing/distortion sound with headphones from a Roland 307 in the middle ranges when you sustain the notes? The distortion increases more if more notes were played and sustained together and it's really hard to practice like this. It appears even more with reverb and resonance settings are increased.

K
K
Hi,

No, it is not. You should get a clear sound on your headphones at any time, regardless of how many notes you are sustaining.

Try lowering the volume a litte. If that makes the distortion disappear, then you should consider to amplify the sound signal that comes from your keyboard as you are overdriving it. If you hear distortion not only with the keyboard, but also when listening to other things on your headphones, then get a new headphones, but being only 6 months old, they should perform well.

Regards,
Kurt.-

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You might also try scrounging up another pair of headphones from somewhere just to see what they do with your DP.

J
J
Talking about this subject:

I want to get GOOD headphones for my DP, what is a good price/quality relation ?, recommendations ?

K
K
Hi,

I recently purchased a Beyerdynamic DT860. They are not cheap (around 170EUR). But IMHO are worth every penny they cost as there is a very (VERY) noticeable difference from other cheaper headphones I've tried. I am really happy with this purchase.

Sound is amazingly detailed, specially in the middles. Basses are good, but these are not the kind of headphones to get the most powerful and fatter subbasses, as are more leaned to detail in the middles, which makes them a good headphones to listening to pianos. If you only want them for listening to the DP, maybe won't need so much detail. Middles are gorgeous! These are the kind of headphones that allow you to really appreciate a good sound engineering work, to hear all the details and nuances in the mix of a song... and also to mix a song in a studio if you wish. Don't use them for listening to bad compressed MP3s as these headphones are not going to hide compression defects and you will hear how crippled MP3s can be. Also are very good to use with a DVD or Blue Ray: I bet that your speakers don't sound nearly so good (except if you have invested some thousands in them). Mine don't. I know, is not fair to compare speakers against headphones.

My DP definitely sounds better with these headphones. But I didn't buy them only for the DP. You also have the DT990 Pro, which are older and not so expensive (around 130EUR) but they offer a similar performance, and I don't know if they offer a better price/quality relation, but overall quality of 990 is also quite good (I tested them some time ago). And if you want to spend more, the DT880 rocks... but they cost around 270EUR (yes, that hurts).

And of course, there are other brands (no, I don't work for Beyer grin ), but unfortunately I don't know them quite well. I had a Sennheiser of around 90EUR, but they cannot stand against the Beyerdynamic at all. Poorer basses and trebles, and the middles, were just several stairs below. Of course, Sennheiser make much better headphones that can stand against the Beyer... but not the ones I had.

If you are an audiophile... you won't regret spending a bit more on a good pair of headphones. Not only for the DP, but for anything else.

Regards,
Kurt.-

Last edited by kurtie; 08/11/10 07:41 PM.
I second kurtie's recommendation of trying beyerdynamic, having the DT990 Pro myself. Sound aside, in my personal opinion the open design is much more comfortable to closed models when havin longer practise sessions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission