2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Yah, you're right, the website says it's the same. Boy, they sure felt different in the action though. I probably just got a dud - scary how variable the keyboards were. I am happy spending the extra grand to get a Kawai.

--- Estonia L190 #7249 ---
My great-grandfather was an opera singer
My grandfather was a pianist
We'll see what my kids do
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
-
I reported here two years ago that the "wobbly key" phenomenon had manifested itself, back then, in the Privia PX-800. On my recent hunt for a new piano I tried the PX-830 and nothing had changed, same old "Wobbly Keys", it was the deal breaker for me. What a shame, a great piano at a great price spoiled because of the "Wobbly Keys". I bought a Kawai.
-

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For $2199 you can purchase a Roland DP990. This has the Roland escapement action which you should love.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Vectistim
I think all the current AP and PX models have the same keyboard system, its just a couple have the ivory style finish.

I get to spend today listening out for the doorbell so my 330 can go back for repair (replacement).

Any bets on how long they'll keep it?

Hi Vectistim. Please update with progress on repair or replacement as it happens. Thanks.

Was this direct with Casio support or the shop you bought it from?

V
V
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by Vectistim
I think all the current AP and PX models have the same keyboard system, its just a couple have the ivory style finish.
I get to spend today listening out for the doorbell so my 330 can go back for repair (replacement).
Any bets on how long they'll keep it?

Hi Vectistim. Please update with progress on repair or replacement as it happens. Thanks.
Was this direct with Casio support or the shop you bought it from?

I'll let you know what happens. It took some tooing and froing between shop (Rimmers/Rocking Rooster) and Casio, not helped by neither of them running their phones out of office hours at all. So it was picked up on Thursday to go back to Casio, doing a parcel trace they received it on Friday. So the chances are they haven't looked at it yet.

V
V
Just got back in from a rehearsal[1] this morning and there is a letter from Casio confirming receipt and providing login details for a repair tracking website. The letter says normal turnaround is about ten working days (plus postage). Logging into the website it says 'repair completed' but no further details, so presumably someone will contact me soon for its return and then we will see what we shall see.

[1] OK, not a fair comparison but at this rehearsal I was playing a Clavinoa CVP-50 (c. 20 year old model), the piano sound was very tinny - a bit like a shabby pub piano, the keys felt OK, but the sensitivity was all to pot - the volume gradation was very stilted.

V
V
I'm now told I'm getting it back on Wednesday, so I'll report back then.

V
V
OK, its just come back, I've run chromatically up the keyboard (without it being turned on) and the defects seem to have gone. The slip that was in the box says it was replaced, but the serial number is the same as it was before so I don't quite know what they've done.

I'll give it a couple of hours of thrashing later and see how it responds.

V
V
I've now had a bit of a play, whilst they've made the previous problems go away it now has a new set (which suggests they've 'repaired' rather than replaced it).

The B next to the crackly C and C# that I did have is now rather sluggish (as if whatever was making those two crackle is now shoved underneath the B).

The worst new problem is with the G at the bottom of the bass clef. I did a fast arpeggio from a Haydn sonata and received a delayed and _very_ loud G.

So I've just been back on the phone, and presumably will get the delights of another two days at home waiting for the postman.

PS: It makes me wonder if they did any quality control before sticking it back in the post.

Last edited by Vectistim; 08/11/10 11:48 AM. Reason: PS added
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the feedback. I suspect that not only no quality control but no piano/keyboard players in the support department. Doesn't sound heartening.

V
V
How much fuss do people think I should kick up, especially given I will have to do more hanging about waiting for the parcel man.

OP Offline
Well, I'd return it if I still could and get a brand with a more rigorous QA function.

Otherwise it seems like you have to keep wrangling with the warranty.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think you need to have a DP or keyboard that behaves the way it should or you expect. So I would either get it fixed or as SteveD says return it and get another make/model. Either way kick up a stink about it.

C
C
I have begun to notice the same problem on my Celviano 620. When I play two adjacent white keys fast and repeatedly (such as in Chopin's Minute Waltz), the keys get stuck and make a clicking sound. Most of the keys do not do this, but the ones that do just happen to be located in the middle of the keyboard.

I'm planning to call Casio tomorrow and ask for their advice, but in the end, I suspect that I will return this piano. Because both of the Casios I have purchased have been duds, I will be going with a different brand. The problem is that none of major brands seems to offer anything close to the features of the 620 in the sub-$1,500 price range. I'd like to get a Kawai or a Yamaha, but I don't want to spend over $2,000.

Any suggestions?

OP Offline
You might want to check out the Yammy 161; I believe it's under $2k or so.

Also I was impressed by the Kawai CN series. They're closer to the 620 price.

However, when I played them side by side with the CA63, the CA63 was just so much more fun to play. It just felt better. I sure this is a personal preference; your mileage may vary.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Cast,
Sorry to hear you got another defective one. Sounds like the hammers might be sticking. So much for the thrid sensor allowing notes to repeat more quickly. Casio needs to get their act together. There have been frequent complaints on stuck or sticking keys since the new line of Privias began shipping last year. Hope you find something else you like.

V
V
Next instalment - Casio chappy was meant to phone this morning, but didn't, just chased him he can arrange for pickup for attempted repair again. For some strange reason they can't do a replacement and I need to go back to the shop to organise that.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by cast12
I have begun to notice the same problem on my Celviano 620. When I play two adjacent white keys fast and repeatedly (such as in Chopin's Minute Waltz), the keys get stuck and make a clicking sound. Most of the keys do not do this, but the ones that do just happen to be located in the middle of the keyboard.

I have this on my Casio PX330, but it does not affect the tone, or volume of the notes.

Originally Posted by cast12

The problem is that none of major brands seems to offer anything close to the features of the 620 in the sub-$1,500 price range. I'd like to get a Kawai or a Yamaha, but I don't want to spend over $2,000.

Any suggestions?

I also have a Kawai CN33. It's not a portable/stage like the Casio, has fewer voices, not sure of the dollar prices but the price is competitive for a good quality home DP. (quite a bit cheaper than the CA63 if on a budget)

T
T
I was planning on getting one of these pianos. Is this a common problem?? Has anyone gotten an AP620 without any key clacking probs?

John Thompson book 2
Casio Celviano AP620
OP Offline
I just got my CA63. What a difference a thousand dollars makes! It's a beaut, elegant, wonderful sound, lots of good piano tweakability, the feel and touch are superb, and best of all, the keys do not clack together!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission