2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Whats going on on that piano forum :| they are the same people as in the pianist corner, not?

Also

Originally Posted by jdhampton924
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Sometimes it is easy to say something that bugs a musician that wouldn't think twice about.

I TAKE OFFENSE!!! HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!!!! mad tiki mad

I TAKE OFFENSE AT YOU TAKING OFFENSE, HOW DARE YOU DARE ME TO DARE YOU TO DARE ME TO DARE BEETHOVEN!!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I will miss you, SeilerFan. I hope that you will at least look in once in awhile.

Too true, internet forums and television programs can take up more than their fair share of time, which may be used for more important things... but I don't think I can say the same about reading your posts.

Goodbyes are saddening, but thanks for taking the time to say goodbye. Maybe, after all, it is only au revoir.

Clef

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Which piece is Schroeder playing in that cartoon? I remember reading an article somebody posted here a while back about how Schulz chose the musical excerpts for the strip quite deliberately. I'm curious about which piece he'd use to illustrate the meaning of life. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I TAKE OFFENSE AT YOU TAKING OFFENSE, HOW DARE YOU DARE ME TO DARE YOU TO DARE ME TO DARE BEETHOVEN!!

I hope you fully realize that he might take offense at your taking offense that he takes offense.

This will only make things even more confusing when we all take offense and have to start over.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That should be the pathetique, 3rd and 4th pages.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Originally Posted by Victor25
Whats going on on that piano forum :| they are the same people as in the pianist corner, not?....

Not really. There's overlap but it's basically different groups.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Victor25
Whats going on on that piano forum :| they are the same people as in the pianist corner, not?....

Not really. There's overlap but it's basically different groups.

It frightens the heck out of me, I'l never go to that subforum!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Happy practicing, enjoy your music, and be well. <3

Em

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
You're right about YouTube. Totally brutal, yet very honest.....

Sometimes.
I think more often, the negative comments are just nasty, or ignorant.

And often the positive comments are pretty ignorant too. smile
Some extremely awful things get high praise.

There's someone who leaves the exact same comment on every music video they watch. They call every song "the greatest melody ever written in the history of popular music".

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Victor25 - "It frightens the heck out of me, I'l never go to that subforum!"

Isn't that somewhat hypocritical for you to be saying this, seeing how you've made approximately 30 postings on that forum.

It's statements like this that only add to the divisive nature of some of the communications here on PW. Perhaps give a little thought and consideration to what you write. As I mentioned earlier, the forums here are what each of us individually make of it.

Dara

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

And often the positive comments are pretty ignorant too. smile
Some extremely awful things get high praise.

Sometimes it's friends, sometimes I even suspect the same person creates multiple accounts to praise him/herself. eek They should use the same software used by our Kreisler to detect multiple accounts... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If one isn't up to the general public's opinion, or has the grown-up feeling that one is beyond all that, or is afraid or not-pleased of/by other peoples written behaviour, fine, but when one feels uncomfortable by other people's comments, or doesn't agree with the level of discussion on this forum, I hope one will find a more civilized corner of the world, although I would think that that would be on top of the Grant Tetons, or the K2...see you..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I can think of one person a few months ago who kept posting recordings that were purposely awful, pretending he didn't realize it, and seeking feedback. And, for a while, getting it. I don't know about any more than that.
PP I suppose?

Bingo! smile

I miss PP. He was a hoot.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by argerichfan
^ +1

If you want to watch some uncivil behavior, look at some of the comments on various YouTube videos! Yikes, compared to that, PW is the very model of civility!

I too will miss SeilerFan, though I can somewhat understand where this member is coming from. I have gradually learned to just stay out of contentious threads- which eventually end up being slamed shut by a moderator anyway.

Youtube Videos? laugh Try 4chan :P

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
I can think of one person a few months ago who kept posting recordings that were purposely awful, pretending he didn't realize it, and seeking feedback. And, for a while, getting it. I don't know about any more than that.
PP I suppose?

Bingo! smile

which one is PP?? The guy with the plaid pajama pants and a single video?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeilerFan
There has been so much spite and hatred going on in various forums: useless gigantic threats in many subforums here that dish out Herculean amounts of negativity.

I went back a re-read the OP's post, and find that I cannot believe the OP and I have been reading the same forums.

Some negativity? Sure. Some back-stabbing? Yes, but "Herculean amounts of negativity?" And "So much spite and hatred" ?

Seilerfan is certainly free to leave or stay. But these statements do not relfect the PW I know. If they were true, I too would leave.

I am saying this to everyone to get some perspective, and to set the record straight for any lurkers (and my students who I refer here) who might be reading this thread and wondering if PW really is the uninhabitable heck on earth that some claim it to be.

It is not that heck. PW is great.

End of sermon.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Originally Posted by Damon
PP I suppose?

Bingo! smile

which one is PP?? The guy with the plaid pajama pants and a single video?

You remember, the guy who knew all of Beethoven's sonatas, and could play any of the Liszt etudes "in a pinch". Then he invited us on a journey to listen as he learned Chopin's 2nd Ballade (I believe)

Partypianist

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
laugh got it.. That was soo entertaining.. I think we should invite him back!

B
B
While I'm as sad as the next guy to see a seasoned member leave, imho how well this place viewed is purely a matter of perspective. I'm a relatively new member, and I've seen several instances where discussions spin out of control, and people don't hesitate to turn ugly behind the mask of a computer screen.

But,

being part of a younger generation that grew up with the internet, I'm so very used to seeing such behavior running rampant everywhere. When I first found this forum, I was quite literally shocked that a place like this can actually exists online. Like several others have already stated, one only needs to look at any other major discussion site, be it youtube, 4chan, or gaming sites, to see how ugly things becomes on an hourly basis. By comparison, this place houses, by far, the most civil discussion groups I've ever encountered on the internet.

But like I said, this is how it appears only from my end of the screen. And while I think this place has it good, there's always room for improvement. OP mentioned that he's not really an internet person to begin with, so it's possible that he's not used on the general behavior that's "accepted" on the net. I don't want to sound condescending to anyone, but imo it takes a great amount of desensitization in order to regularly read the internet and not be continuously offended.

Originally Posted by breakfast shark
....being part of a younger generation that grew up with the internet, I'm so very used to seeing such behavior running rampant everywhere..... By comparison, this place houses, by far, the most civil discussion groups I've ever encountered on the internet.

....it's possible that he's not used on the general behavior that's "accepted" on the net. I don't want to sound condescending to anyone, but imo it takes a great amount of desensitization in order to regularly read the internet and not be continuously offended.

I think that's probably a lot of what's involved here. I'm more in his age group but I've been "desensitized" because the other forums I've been on have been mainly younger people -- car sites and baseball sites. This site has more people in the "mature" category than most sites do, and so things are more 'mature' (sort of) ha but it also means that many of the people don't have the full frame of reference that you mentioned.

And they may not care. It may not be any consolation to them that this site is better (or 'less bad') than other sites. They may just not want any part of the unpleasantry (and really I don't either, but I find ways to avoid it or to try to help stop it). But it remains a little hard for me to understand, because I haven't been seeing much of the kind of thing here that Seiler talked about.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission