2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
A student is playing a piece (Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen) that has a couple goofy measures. I know someone can help me explain this to him.

It is in 4/4 time. The bass clef is 4 quarter notes.
The treble clef is a quarter rest and 5 quarter notes, but there is a bracket and an italicized 3 (like triplets would be)dividing the 6 into 2 sets of 3, but it takes up the whole measure.

In summary: there are 6 [quarter notes/rests] in the treble, opposite 4 quarter beats in the bass.
How can I help him count this?

Thanks all!!

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You simply treat it as 3 vs. 2 two times in a row. So do whatever you'd do for 3 vs. 2. I have the student say "Not Diff-i-cult", where "not is both hands, "diff" is the 2nd triplet, "i" is the even note in the other hand, and "cult" is the last triplet.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Is this the part that winds up the big hard rock shuffle? Where he sings, "Just gotta get out. Just gotta get right out of here."?

Quarter note triplets. 3 subdivisions for every half note.

for your student: On a part you can mark up, subdivide the quarter note bass into triplets. Let's assume we count the triplets with the syllables "one-ti-ta, two-ti-ta etc. So now there's 12 subdivions to the bar and the (6) 1/4 triplets fall on every other of the twelve subdivisions. Off the piano, have the student slowly count the one-ti-ta, two-ti-ta while tapping them on one hand. The other hand should play the quarter note triplets on every other subdivsion. A foot tap on the quarter notes will help the student feel how the 1/4 triplets fall in between the basic 4/4 pulse. The only time the written rhythm falls on a beat is on 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4 if played "inside out"). So the six notes will fall: (1,ta) (ti) (3,ta) (ti) where each parenthesis set is a beat of the 4/4 measure.

Hope this helps.

A faster version can be heard on the hi-hat part of "Everyone wants to rule the World" by Tears for Fears.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission