2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
I understand this forum is a "little" biased, but I want the perspective of this forum.

I will be applying for college within 4 months now. I do really well at everything I put my mind to. I take the hardest classes my school offers and I get A's in them. I will probably be accepted into a top university.

BUT, as a result, my interests are horrendously broad. I wish I could do just about everything. Unfortunately, time and society does not allow for that. In college I have the choose what I will do.

I have set myself up for entering as a science major. But music is important to me as well. I've thought about minoring in piano, but I'm not sure if that is enough to fulfill me. I've thought about double majoring, but I have no idea if that is even possible (probably not). Sometimes I consider dropping my goals for science, and just following a career in music instead.. but I'm not sure if that is what I want either.

What should I do? I'm so lost. Is a minor even useful? How do I chose? Also, how do I become included into the fine arts section of the school I am accepted into, or at least let it be known my intentions to join?

Thank you

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've mentioned this before - two friends of mine did double majors in music and science at Michigan. While both of them ended up following the sciences in their careers, and while both took an extra year to graduate, both were very happy with their college experience and been very successful.

The choice of university will be important, though. Not all schools like the idea of double majors, and some schools do not offer minors or lessons to non-degree students. Do some digging before you commit to an institution, but know that it can be done.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you're smart, you wouldn't do music.. :P

I think you need to have no doubt about going into music. We do it because it compels us like nothing else. We have to or we will be miserable.

Take up science and do music on your own time. See how it goes. If you miss doing it full time, you'll know what to do.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I think you need to have no doubt about going into music. We do it because it compels us like nothing else. We have to or we will be miserable.

Take up science and do music on your own time. See how it goes. If you miss doing it full time, you'll know what to do.

Excellent.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm planning on Double majoring Computer Science and Film, with a minor in music...am I crazy?

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Do you have any history or experience with the piano, or with music?

I think that would be an important factor.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Thumbs up! Doing music takes just as much crazy as it does talent anymore.

P
P
I went through your same situation, I attend an upper liberal arts college on the east coast. I am a double major with physics and music. However, I do not plan to pursue anything relating to music.

My decision to choose between physics or music revolved completely around money, after I finish my BS in physics I will move on to graduate study in physics simply because the US offers me a stipend to attend school and do research. If I were to go into graduate study in music, which if money was not an issue I would very seriously consider, I would have to pay my way through graduate school and as well have a pretty poor job outlook save for professorship after school.

Double majoring allows me to study two things I love in full depth at an undergraduate level, and while I do have a very heavy course load, it is not overly difficult if you do not have a problem not sitting in front of the TV all day and enjoy reading and studying.

My advice to you if you intend to double major is to seek out a smaller school that offers great departments in whatever you choose to study. The main benefit of attending a smaller school over a large university are the professor-student relationships; I can not even begin to explain how helpful both my physics and music advisers are, not just in my majors but in life as well.

Hope it helps, good luck!

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by PianonaiP
I went through your same situation, I attend an upper liberal arts college on the east coast. I am a double major with physics and music. However, I do not plan to pursue anything relating to music.

My decision to choose between physics or music revolved completely around money, after I finish my BS in physics I will move on to graduate study in physics simply because the US offers me a stipend to attend school and do research. If I were to go into graduate study in music, which if money was not an issue I would very seriously consider, I would have to pay my way through graduate school and as well have a pretty poor job outlook save for professorship after school.

Double majoring allows me to study two things I love in full depth at an undergraduate level, and while I do have a very heavy course load, it is not overly difficult if you do not have a problem not sitting in front of the TV all day and enjoy reading and studying.

My advice to you if you intend to double major is to seek out a smaller school that offers great departments in whatever you choose to study. The main benefit of attending a smaller school over a large university are the professor-student relationships; I can not even begin to explain how helpful both my physics and music advisers are, not just in my majors but in life as well.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Your situation seems very similar to what I may want to do.
Are you going to continue playing music at all while you are doing your graduate studies? How do you plan to use your music degree(teaching, performances?) Do you think a double graduate degree is possible lol? And, most importantly, are you happy with your choices?

Last edited by I am Chris; 08/08/10 08:45 PM.
This is exactly what I did. I entered college majoring in chemistry and mathematics. At the time, I was far more accomplished in those subjects than I was in piano.

But I was able to get lessons with one of the faculty, and suddenly realized where my heart and my time were going. Fortunately, I've been able to make a decent living at it, so it's all worked out very well.

C'est la vie..

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Chris,

Are you my son logging in under another name? smile

Well, your set of issues sounds rather familiar to me, since we're dealing with them in my household as well.

F
F
I was in a similar position to you: torn between piano performance and physics. In the end I went for physics so I could continue playing the piano as a hobby. I'd love to tell you if that was the right choice but I haven't started university yet, so I can't u_u

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You haven't started uni yet!? Damn how old are you? Always thought you were older than me.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Angelina -

Perhaps it really isn't an "all or nothing" proposition.

There are many wonderfully talented students (like you!!) who live and breathe music and intend to make it their life's work. There are also many students who enjoying music making and who continue to study music as an elective (or minor) at the college/university level. These folks participate in college choral groups, bands, orchestras, and chamber ensembles in addition to doing solo work. I certainly wouldn't discourage any college student from pursuing music in addition to their major field of study - assuming they can work it into their class schedules and balance it with their other graduation requirements.

I dare say that once you earn your DMA and land a university teaching position, some of your students will be non performance majors. Just a thought. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
I just made the decision to throw myself into the music program at the college I'm attending in september .Got into the UMass Amherst music program by the way! Either studying under Nadine Shank or Gilles Vonsattel.
Sorry to digress, I've decided that it's what I need to do and I'm going to give it my all and work as hard as I can to get as good as I can. I know it's going to be a tough path but I'm just gonna do what I love and see how I can make it work!
P.S. I'm hoping to get my chops up a little more then either transfer to a conservatory or go to one for graduate school!

bplary1300 - Congratulations !! You have absolutely nothing to lose - and everything to gain !! Go for it !! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
A
Follow your heart if graduate study is a possibility. I know a few people who are music major at undergraduate. They went on to become medical doctors, finance professor, etc. The heart and passion does evolves.

On the other hand, if any thought of studying beyond 4-year college drives you crazy, your undergraduate major(s) plays a more important role in shaping your professional career.

Last edited by ABC Vermonter; 08/09/10 08:56 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey

Angelina -

Perhaps it really isn't an "all or nothing" proposition.

There are many wonderfully talented students (like you!!) who live and breathe music and intend to make it their life's work. There are also many students who enjoying music making and who continue to study music as an elective (or minor) at the college/university level. These folks participate in college choral groups, bands, orchestras, and chamber ensembles in addition to doing solo work. I certainly wouldn't discourage any college student from pursuing music in addition to their major field of study - assuming they can work it into their class schedules and balance it with their other graduation requirements.

I dare say that once you earn your DMA and land a university teaching position, some of your students will be non performance majors. Just a thought. smile

I didn't say it was an all or nothing position. I said exactly what you said (or I tried), only less fancy.. =) No one's telling this kid to quit music completely.

But I know the difference between kind of wanting to do music and not being to live without it. I see both every day at my school.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You make an excellent point. I chose myself a job that I love, whilst still being able to have alot of free time (and money) to spend on music.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
R
R

this is the best answer i've ever heard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission