2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
My 11-year-old son is a promising musician worthy of an investment in a grand piano. After a lot of research and searching, I've narrowed my decision to two pianos. The first is a rebuilt M&H, 1915, A. It has been checked out by a very reliable, independent technician. It was rated highly in all areas. I don't have any concerns about the mechanics of the instrument. The rebuilder is well known and has an excellent reputation. My son chose this over several other rebuilt Steinways. It was also the piano favored by his Juilliard trained teacher, as well as the independent technician.

My son also likes the new Yamaha C2. We want to make the right decision for him. I can probably get the M&H for about $16,000. The C2 is $19,000. Are these fair prices for the pianos? The quality of the piano is of course important to us, along with future appreciation and resale value. Given these factors, which piano would be the better choice? Thank you!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd go with the M&H. The older Mason & Hamlins were lovely instruments, usually less brilliant than Steinways of similar size, but extremely well made. If the tech who checked the piano has no vested interest in the rebuilder and can be trusted and thinks the piano checks out okay, that's great. Your son's teacher likes the piano. I bet it's got ivory and ebony unless the key tops were replaced. As to price, without knowing the specifics of the rebuild / recondition it's hard to say. Here in the Washington, DC, area the price you quote is a real deal. Good luck with things, whichever you choose. Your son is lucky.

PS - I got my first grand piano around the same age. It was an older M&H model A that a neighbor moving to smaller quarters "stored" in our house for a year.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Mason & Hamlins from that period are potentially fantastic instruments depending on the quality of the rebuild work. If it is rebuilt in a first class way, and includes a new pinblock and a new sound board, and a rebuilt action which includes new hammers, shanks and whippins, that is a great deal. At $16,000, my guess is that it still has the old soundboard, may or may not have a new pinblock, and maybe the work that was done was not done within the past couple of years. If the piano has been a workhorse or a teaching instrument for a Juilliard trained teacher for a number of years, well, it has gotten a lot of use and may need more work than you realize.
Also, the playing length of the keys, from the fallboard to the keytip, on that piano will be shorter if the rebuilder simply put new keytops on the old keyset without any modification, or if the original keytops were kept. This would be something quite noticable to a pianist if this is the primary instrument they practice on, and then they have to play an instrument with a modern size key.
I think new Yamaha C2s are excellent and reliable pianos, and without seeing that particular M&H, would recommend the new C2 as the safer and better option for a "promising musician".

If my guesses are wrong, and the M&H has had an excellent and comprehensive rebuild, it would be by far the better of the 2 instruments, and a steal at 16k.

So, I guess the big question would be, what work was done on the Mason & Hamlin, and when.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
M
OP Offline
M
Correction: The piano is 1930, not 1915. Below are the specs. All of this was confirmed by independent technician who has no affiliation with the seller. The work was all done recently. Thank you for your help.

MASON

HAMLIN

A

ACTION KEY FRAME HAS BEEN REFURBISHED, ALL HARDWARE POLISHED AND SEALED, NEW RENNER PREMIUM HAMMERS, SHANKS, FLANGES, NEW WIPPENS ,NEW KEY TOPS, NEW FRONT AND CENTER RAIL BUSHING, FULL REGULATION

INTERIOR NEW PIN BLOCK, NEW STRINGS TREBLE AND BASS, NEW 2.0 PINS ,NEW SOUNDBOARD, NEW BRIDGE, ALL HARDWARE POLISHED AND SEALED, NEW UNDER STRING FELTS, REBRONZED PLATE, NEW DAMPER FELTS, ALL TRAP WORK REBUSHED, DAMPER UNDER LEAVER REFURBISHED, TUNE TO A440

CASE REFINISHED TO HAND RUBBED BLACK SATIN, CLOSED PORE SATIN, ALL HARDWARE POLISHED AND SEALED, NEW BUTTONS, NEW SURFACE FELTS

WARRANTY 5 YEAR ON PARTS AND LABOR, ONE FREE IN HOUSE TUNE, ACTION MUST BE REGULATED AFTER 2 YEARS AT ½ RATE, FREE DELIVERY W/TRI COUNTY GROUND FLOOR

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think 16k for a rebuilt (as described) M&H seems like an amazingly good deal. It is clearly a better piano than the C2, but it almost feels too good to be true.

For what it's worth the C2 is a classic work horse grand that for an 11 year old is almost impossible to go wrong with.

Doug
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
If you are going for a C2, I would probably recommend if you can stretch over to a C3. IMHO, C3 receives a lot more refinement than C2. Few years ago, C1 and C2 doesn't come with Ivorite keytops - a sign of receiving less refinement but now they have it. However, my experience with ONE C1, C2, C3 tells me that C3 is an a lot more great piano than C2.

If you opt for the M&H, it might be really a good deal on it. Perhaps it's a bit extra, but why not hire another neutral tech to check it out?

Anyway, wait some more rebuilders to hop on this thread and give you more comments/advice.

All the best and good luck! smile

I may not know many other makes, but I have played numerous Yamaha C series pianos. I even used the C3 for exams …

To cut the story short, the C3 is in a different league when compared to the C1 or C2.

Even the tone of the C3 is different. Try it ALL out.

C3 is the work-horse used in our local conservatory at the National University of Singapore.

PS: But the YST Conservatory also uses Steinway and a Shigeru Kawai :p

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No contest here I'd think. M&H hands down if the tech gives it a clean bill of health. Built like a tank.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The BIG question of the hour is exactly how "good is good" as for assessing the quality level of a comprehensive rebuild. There is such a broad variable as for the acceptance factor of what one considers as adequate as compared to a high level meticulous restoration.
A few years back I had purchased a M&H "A" from an individual who told me the piano was completely restored a year ago. Upon seeing the piano everything was addressed down to the back checks and let off buttons but unfortunately it was done at such a "low level" the only thing salvageable was the refinish. Almost never do I purchase restored pianos anyway but the price was right but the restoration had no value.

Reviewing your restoration assessment(1930 A) as for the list of items addressed it appears fairly thorough. I will admit "I myself would or could not sell this piano for 16K if done at a very high level.
A new soundboard,bridges,ribs on top of the remainder $ of a complete rebuild would exceed the cost of the piano......so I will be the first to admit it is a righteous deal if "it is what it is".But if it is not what it is represented than the restoration has no value and the piano is worth less than? As long as I am scrutinizing the rebuild,Did they change the back action ?(damper tray) If you go to the extent of changing the soundboard,bridges and ribs it does not make any sense in leaving ANY stone unturned.
I might suggest you get an alternate opinion from a tech with some rebuilding experience for peace of mind. It will be difficult to get another rebuilder to assess the rebuild in a tight knit rebuilding community.

Addendum;I had missed the refurbishment of the damper action/underlevers. One must realize the damper action is as old as the action stack and is discretionary as for whether one replaces it or refurbishes it whatever that means. laugh

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In this case, Keith from P.C. pretty much said it all. 100% great advise.

Safer bet, if you can't be completely sure about the rebuild, would be the C2.

P
P
To summarize:

If the rebuild was done well -- the M&H will be a killer piano!

Otherwise, bump up to the Yamaha C3 and don't look back.

"...from palaces adorned with ivory, the music of the strings makes you glad"
P
P
By the way, if cost precludes the C3 - hold out for a newer used one (as opposed to buying the new C2).

"...from palaces adorned with ivory, the music of the strings makes you glad"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Psalm45:8b:
By the way, if cost precludes the C3 - hold out for a newer used one (as opposed to buying the new C2).
thumb to what he said smile

N
N
This is weird...before I bought my (new condition) C2, I looked at a rebuilt 1927 M&H. The rebuilder also had a great reputation, and it seemed solid and sounded great..the price tag was a firm but attractive 17,000. So to me, an expert rebuild of a Golden Age M&H seems like a STEAL at 16,000. (For me, it came down to the divorcing C2 seller willing to part with it for less than 2/3 the M&H price).

I will say, I tried to hold out for a gently used C3 in my search, but couldn't find a decent, newer one anywhere near the price range I was shopping.

For those suggesting the token, "looking at a C2, why not stretch to a C3?"
...yes you will be moving to a new level of piano, but also a whole different financial ballpark, and there are many very fine pianos you could consider between the $$$ of a new C2 and new C3.

Three years later, I have no regrets about my choice, for what it's worth!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission