2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
P
Maybe the internal EQ could improve the Acoustic Piano sound. I use an external EQ for my PX-330. Maybe Mike Martin could try to optimize the AP and give us an additional demo of the piano sound. In the manual I found some more piano preset. For example the Mono Piano, which is important for stage pianist.

Last edited by PianoRalf; 06/04/10 04:12 AM.
F
F
Hi, I am writing to see about getting my casio privia px330-bk repaired. I am attempting to bring a line level signal from my pc's soundcard into the line in (either both left and right line in or just the left/mono line in) on the privia. I can do that and hear the music i am bringing in play on the privia's onboard speakers; however, i cannot adjust the volume on the privia by using the volume knob on the priva. i can adjust the volume on the component I am using to send the line level signal to the privia, but I want to be able to adjust it on the privia. The manual indicates that I should be able to do so by using the privia's volume controller.

http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php?rgn=1&cid=008009141

the manual, on page e-8, indicates:
"playing output from external equipment through the piano's speakers...use commercially available cables to connect the external audio equipment to the piano's line in jacks ...line in r jack inputs sounds through the piano's right speaker while line in l/mono...

page e-7 under "connecting audio equipment or an amplifier....the digital piano automatically adjust sound output to optimize for...built in speaker output...this will also cause a change in the output quality from the digital piano's line out...whenever connectin a device to the digital piano first use the volume contrller to set the volume to a low level...after connecting, you can adjust the volume to the level you want..."the digital piano automatically adjust sound output to optimize for...built in speaker output" makes it sound like one doesn't have an option regarding volume considering it is done automatically...the part about turning the volume down before connecting an audio device seems to not apply to the line in...

Why is this important to me? I want to take the line out from my Emu 1820 audio interface (its the sound card for my pc, basically) and play in on the privia's onboard speakers, in addition to my speaker monitors attached to my pc via my audio interface and power amp, etc...however the privia drowns out my speaker monitors (my minimus 7's, old school cheap monitors). Maybe if I understood how to use Emu's Patchmix interface better I could independently control the volume for the signal sent out to the privia's speakers versus the volume for the signal to my minimus 7's, but alas, I do not...

Any input is much 'perciated.

Sincerely ,

Jim

Originally Posted by PianoRalf
Maybe the internal EQ could improve the Acoustic Piano sound. I use an external EQ for my PX-330. Maybe Mike Martin could try to optimize the AP and give us an additional demo of the piano sound. In the manual I found some more piano preset. For example the Mono Piano, which is important for stage pianist.

The PX-3 is definitely capable of a much wider variety of acoustic piano sounds. The EQ is very useful for this. We're working on even more demos and also some video content. I hope to be doing a LIVE online clinic very soon - which I'll post about here in this thread.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Originally Posted by PianoRalf

The PX-3 is definitely capable of a much wider variety of acoustic piano sounds. The EQ is very useful for this. We're working on even more demos and also some video content. I hope to be doing a LIVE online clinic very soon - which I'll post about here in this thread.

Mike, the following comes not from a wish to criticize for its own sake, but from a genuine desire for Casio to provide piano players with something truly special.

Having owned the PX-310, PX-320, PX-330, and now the PX-130 (alongside instruments from other manufacturers), I am amazed at what Casio offers for the money. However, I think the PX-3 is supposed to be more of a flagship stage piano that will celebrate the Casio anniversary , and therefore needs to wow its purchasers (and their audiences). The AP sound that the latest PX series offers is good but has some serious flaws. The stretching is very evident, and when it is coupled with dubious samples (as found in the A to D range above middle-C) it spoils the pleasure of playing and listening to a certain extent. Also, as pointed out in many posts, the sample length/decay time/looping is somewhat short. This means that although fast passages sound OK, slow, sustained pieces are less good - I have noticed that most of Casio's AP demos are fast, which, naturally, masks the problem to a certain extent. These issues are found across all the main piano patches, as they seem to be derived from the same sample set.

Although I am surprised that weak samples found their way into the finished products in the first place, it would be a crying shame if they were allowed into this anniversary model. I understand that Casio has to build to a price, but given all the other features - four layers, linear morphing, triple sensors etc., it wouldn't make sense to "spoil the ship for a h'ap'orth of tar." As for length of samples, I don't know enough about the technology to know if it's possible to improve this at such a late stage of development, but if it could be done, it would help lift the new piano into a higher class.

EPs in the Privias currently suffer from having only two velocity layers. If EPs could share at least the same number of velocity layers as the APs, again this would help the instrument compete against Roland, Korg and Yamaha.

I'm really hoping Casio is listening!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
J
J
Wonderful post, voxpops. This really addresses everything that needs to be tuned/fixed in the Privias. They are such great DPs, but have so much more potential with small tweaks and fixes. Its a shame some of these things weren't taken care of during development. I'm surprised the somewhat botched samples in the G# to A# range above middle C weren't caught and fixed before production. Things like that, these small things, really are holding it back. Regardless, I still love it!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
voxpops,
Did I understand you to say a while back you sold your PX-330 and now you have purchased the PX-130 to replace it despite your dissatisfaction with the decay and sound in the octaves above middle C?

Last edited by galaxy4t; 06/23/10 08:15 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Well spotted!

Yes I sold it, but managed to get a month-old PX-130 for $300. It was definitely worth that as a practice instrument. Despite my criticisms, I think the Privias offer a lot for the money.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
Despite my criticisms, I think the Privias offer a lot for the money.

That's my take exactly.

The heck of it is though, they could completely blow everyone out of the water if they put another $5 (retail) of Flash in there.

Mike Martin / Casio, if you're reading this, why is your sample memory so tiny?

P
P
For Mike Martin: if you want to absolutely turn this market upside down with your products and greatly increase your market share:

* Take dewster's DPBSD and use it as a test case for your product development and testing so that the products pass every test in the DPBSD before release to manufacturing (which I'm sure will require some more R&D work)
* Generally add some type of expandability, even as SD memory cards with libraries
* Do a little more manufacturing QA on the keybeds and sturdy them up a bit
* Heed some of the other comments in this thread and on Keyboard Corner, especially regarding MIDI controllers
* Have price points at the same or similar levels (no more than $100-$200 SRP increase)

You guys are seriously so damned close it's not even funny.

RD-700GX + SN Piano Expansion
If you're playing and you know it, wash your hands! If you're playing and you know it, no sanitizer!
If you're playing and you know it, and don't want your keys to show it,
If you're playing and you know it, clip your nails!
Live tonight we're going to try to stream a PX-3 demo online at 7:00pm EST. It should get recorded and be available online afterward if you can can't attend.

Live Privia PX-3 demo by Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
J
J
Live tonight we're going to try to stream a PX-3 demo online at 7:00pm EST. It should get recorded and be available online afterward if you can can't attend.

Very nice demo, Mike! Thanks for all the info.

Z
Z

Just got done watching the demo and really enjoyed it. Mike did a great job showing the instrument off and it sounded really great to my ears. Mike said the video will be up on that site to watch soon if you missed it. I'm hoping to run into one at GC in Sacramento tomorrow when I drive through but in any case I need to find one to try out soon.

Last edited by Zinfan; 06/30/10 07:45 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Excellent demo Mike, and congratulations on a great live stream!

The PX-3 looks and sounds like it'll be a great product!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
If they throw out let's say 70% of the sounds and use the freed-up memory to enhance the basic piano sounds they have a killer stage piano in their hands. I recently tried the ivory touch keybed version of the casio 830 and it was actually quite good ! Combined with their current offer of half-pedaling support and sound-input (only Clavia is so clever to add this feature on their Nord piano as well) they are almost there to compete with the big names.

As a last request they should add aftertouch to this controller and Yamaha, Kawai and Roland and left in dust, because they all think that aftertouch is something from the past. That's because decisions are recently only made by man in suits that never actually play an instrument, but just talk in marketing terms and money. Otherwise they should know that modulation wheels and aftertouch are some basic controls for playing many of the 'non-piano' sounds.

Oh...and make it USB powered as an option. FATAR Numa series are USB powered , so why not this device. Great for gigs / studio's with laptops as added sound source.

Go Casio, go - give us the perfect PX3 successor ! Just take note of the comments that are made on fora like this. I wouldn't care if it raised the price somewhat.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
uhm...at second thought; forget the USB powered option; it will probably draw too much power, but if it doesn't it would be a great added feature.

Originally Posted by JFP
If they throw out let's say 70% of the sounds and use the freed-up memory to enhance the basic piano sounds they have a killer stage piano in their hands.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Yes, I would like USB power too, and also:
- an integrated low latency USB audio interface (like some M-Audio keyboards)
- speakers
- a standalone 3-pedal unit

The PX-330 is closer to what I want at the moment, but I'd love to have the other features of the PX-3 as well - especially the ivory keys. (the PX-3 is not even available in Australia yet though)

Greg.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Strange price differentiation between countries; perhaps someone at Casio can explain (please) ? Although some of my 'requirements' are missing the Casio seemed to have a good balance between price/performance. So I went shopping..., but here in Westerm Europe the Casio bare price is € 1099, which translates to $ 1445 with the the exchange rate of today. Compared to the $ 799 in the states WITH a free carrying bag, that seems to be too much of a difference. I know stuff like this is always cheaper in the US, but even if you calculate some margin for VAT, a distributor in between and additional costs, I think 900 euro's should be a more reasonable price, considering what other brands are offering AND the fact that people buy Casio BECAUSE of the low price range and still pretty good quality. Otherwise they might stick to the well-known brands, like Y, K and R. I simply don't understand the Casio marketing guys over here - they could sell much more of their products with a little less margin..., but perhaps I'm the only one.

V
V

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Not for the Netherlands; over here they offer it for € 929,= ex shipping costs and ex carrying bag. Still $ 1222,= , and that is the cheapest(!) offering to find over here, the rest is hovering between 950 and 999 euro's. The again, most shops bluntly offer it for the adviced price of € 1099 and that is again $ 1445,= in US dollars; not just a little more - but you can almost buy two units for that price in the US.

I think Casio should reconsider what it want's to be over here; a very strong competitor against the known big names, because they offer something really useful for a very sharp price, or a competitor in the same price and product range as the rest, but then they should offer the same build- and sound quality for a comparable price.

In the latter case they are still not entirely there; the piano sound is not bad , but no Roland SN piano, and the hardware is not at the same professional level as , let's say the (entry) Kawai MP series or mid range Yamaha's.

I think it's a missed opportunity (at least with the price policy over here; I assume in the states people are more than happy to spend their 799 on the PX3, which is a very competitive price !)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission